• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryu deserved the nerfs. Just not THAT many since his damage is much lower.

But they really need to flip the switch on reversals and half the white life speed. Pull back some of the top tiers and buff our bottom boys a bit.

I forgot about Nash. Poor Nash.

AA jabs are fine now
Ryu's and Alex's are fine now, Chun's st.lk makes sense.

And then you have Necalli.
DP change should have happened a decade ago if not more. Shotos have been coasting on free invincible dps for too long
Don't agree but I see your point. I personally think they should have just given more defensive options for other characters.

The 3-frame armor on a lot of moves still makes no sense.

At least currently the DP stuff is nice because a bunch of characters are seeing viability because of it. And you can still yolo with it. Hasn't stopped any Kens I've met.

We're on the same wavelength.

Personally, my dream is that the game is balanced to where we see a variety of character representation in CPT.

Killer Instinct had its whole roster (32 at the time) in top 32 last year at KI cup. It would be cool if SFV can get to a point to where a large portion of the cast is represented in high level play.

The character representation at CPT was actually about what you'd expect by chance. There were 32 players, 3 of which played 2 characters, and 14 of 22 different characters represented. Running a quick simulation under the assumption of all characters being equally likely to be picked, and accounting for the 3 double-picks, the most probably number of characters represented would be 15-19, corresponding to 91% of the simulations. And with a 5.9% chance of having 14 or fewer characters in the CPT, you can't reject the null hypothesis of random sampling with equal probability with a p-value of 0.05.

TL;DR: The CPT finals had about the number of characters we'd expect if all characters were equally likely to make it into the CPT finals.

Ryu deserved the nerfs. Just not THAT many since his damage is much lower.

But they really need to flip the switch on reversals and half the white life speed. Pull back some of the top tiers and buff our bottom boys a bit.

I forgot about Nash. Poor Nash.
Many of the nerfs made no sense. I literally don't know anyone that was talking about broken v-reversals and complaining about white life (except maybe Daigo? lol). Capcom nerfed stuff about Ryu and Nash that totally made sense and most people weren't complaining about imo. In SFV heavy and medium jump in moves should be strong and jabs should NOT be strong enough to anti air just about anything. Ryu's normal ranges were absolutely not a problem either except for his AA jab. His damage output was completely messed up, but he was already somewhat stubby in season 1. White life, v-reversals, Ryu footsies and Nash jump ins... the true horror of SFV eliminated. Glad we dodged that bullet...
Ryu's and Alex's are fine now, Chun's st.lk makes sense.

And then you have Necalli.
Don't agree but I see your point. I personally think they should have just given more defensive options for other characters.

The 3-frame armor on a lot of moves still makes no sense.
Wasn't Juri's AA jab strong in season 1? I honestly think I didn't notice it because she doesn't get much use, but now you can't help but notice it since Ryu and Alex have been normalized.
I think the AA-jabs are fine now. What's the problem?
Juri and Necalli's AA jabs need to go. A good argument could probably be made for the removal of Gief's AA jab too. His lariat is seriously amazing. Most characters would be automatically buffed if they switched one of their random anti air normals for Gief's lariat. Gief definitely isn't in Sim's shoes where the AA jab is a necessary evil.

Moaradin

Bonchan is still putting in dat work with Nash. It's almost like Nash is... still viable
thinking.gif

Bon Chan would have taken those matches if he hadn't dropped like two combos in two matches. Dang.

Nash is for people who can make that spacing work. Wew lad.

Many of the nerfs made no sense. I literally don't know anyone that was talking about broken v-reversals and complaining about white life (except maybe Daigo? lol). Capcom nerfed stuff about Ryu and Nash that totally made sense and most people weren't complaining about imo. In SFV heavy and medium jump in moves should be strong and jabs should NOT be strong enough to anti air just about anything. Ryu's normal ranges were absolutely not a problem either except for his AA jab. His damage output was completely messed up, but he was already somewhat stubby in season 1. White life, v-reversals, Ryu footsies and Nash jump ins... the true horror of SFV eliminated. Glad we dodged that bullet...

I don't get Nash's nerfs mostly because I feel like he didn't gain enough back. For most characters, nerfs came with buffs (or not so obvious buffs, like system wise stuff that helps them).

And Ryu's damage was the problem. You know, if they made his trigger better, lowered his damage, and maybe gave him another tool to compensate for the white life damage like upping the damage on his fireball or making it better, that would have been fine. I think the universal changes (besides the reversals) didn't take every thing into account, or rather, did a "the needs of the many" route. That's par for the course in any fighting game, but tougher to swallow in a game so already tightly balanced.

On the flipside, as I've said before, white life needs to be scaled back a bit, but it makes characters a lot more useable. Without it, Bison, Rashid, and a bunch others wouldn't be a strong. But scaling it to the middle of the road between this patch and previous version wouldn't be so bad, I think.

Skab

Is there any other SF game that rewards yolo play like this one does?

This is the only one I have played beyond a casual level. Gootecks called this game the "3rd Strike of the modern era" on last weeks EA.

After watching Co-op cup, I question the statement as well lol

Lets not take that Gootecks quote out of context.

He was talking about the roster already boiling down to the same 4-5 characters at high level.

I fucking knew I wasn't going crazy when the game booted up much faster than the song could complete. They play out the damn thing for no reason at all. Maybe it's to ensure syncing online or some lame excuse like that, but offline should let you skip that stuff if you want.

Ah its upping the FPS... Yeah I dont think even the PS4 Pro could handle upping the frame rate to 225 with out maxing out its hardware.

I like seeing the costumes on screen, but i think they should change to static once the character is picked. Idk if that would help, but if it did id be ok with that.

It would kill your computer if it was unlocked ALL the time as it is in your video but this is purely for the character/map select screen and the loading.

No. If that was the case, you'd also kill your PC by attempting to run any demanding game where your hardware was only capable of producing FPS below your actual refresh rate. You can get problems insofar that maxing out your CPU and GPU generates a lot of heat, but your GPU, for example, will automatically reduce the frequency at which it is operating if the temperate reaches too high levels:

NVIDIA GPUs are designed to operate reliably up to their maximum specified operating temperature. This maximum temperature varies by GPU, but is generally in the 105C range (refer to the nvidia.com product page for individual GPU specifications). If a GPU hits the maximum temperature, the driver will throttle down performance to attempt to bring temperature back underneath the maximum specification. If the GPU temperature continues to increase despite the performance throttling, the GPU will shutdown the system to prevent damage to the graphics card. Performance utilities such as EVGA Precision or GPU-Z can be used to monitor temperature of NVIDIA GPUs. If a GPU is hitting the maximum temperature, improved system cooling via an added system fan in the PC can help to reduce temperatures.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...maximum-operating-temperature-and-overheating

EDIT: And
Tjunction Max is the maximum temperature the cores can reach before thermal throttling is activated. Thermal throttling happens when the processor exceeds the maximum temperature. The processor shuts itself off in order to prevent permanent damage. Tjunction Max (Tj Max) is also referred to as TCC Activation Temperature in certain processor datasheets.
https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005597.html

If you have this problem, then you need to improve the cooling in your system.

I don't think the white life change is a problem in general. The problem comes from it further rewarding offense in a game where stubby limbs, nerfed v reversals, etc... exist. If you revert those tools, the white life change won't seem as bad.

I like that white life actually matters in the meta now. What sucks and will continue to suck is the neutral tools that promote only 1 style of play.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So this pretty much confirms that the game doesn't do anything useful during that time then, right? Oh my...

I don't think the white life change is a problem in general. The problem comes from it further rewarding offense in a game where stubby limbs, nerfed v reversals, etc... exist. If you revert those tools, the white life change won't seem as bad.

I like that white life actually matters in the meta now. What sucks and will continue to suck is the neutral tools that promote only 1 style of play.

They aren't going to change some stubby limbs. That's part of the game's design, because it forces people to get closer since the game is more offensively based. Balrog's stubby ass normals are okay because he has the tools to move around, mount offense, and some decent AA tools. So while his range isn't all that good besides a few buttons, his tools compensate for that.

In comparison, Ryu's nerfs highlight the problem of having stubby limbs with a limited toolset. Before, he had damage, stun, and was fairly good at capitalizing on openings. But he still had to get close enough for the oppression to happen.

They scaled back the range on his moves AND took away his damage, leaving him nothing. So now, you have this character that can't get his work going.

Even with other characters, the offense is just too much with the lack of good reversals and means of escape. Like, you need to be able to get people off you. So basically, you need to give people a means of darting out, and not just in.

You gotta let the characters breathe once and a while and let them work.

Edit: While they aren't going to change stubby limbs, the hitboxes can be extended, obviously. Which is why what they did to Ryu is bullshit.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Ucchedavāda;230601848 said:
15 seconds with that PAK vs 25 seconds on vanilla. That's when going from the main menu to training mode and mashing through menus.

What kind of witchcraft is this!?

EDIT: The fuck?!

https://twitter.com/TOOLASSlSTED/status/833317875163226112

Can someone explain a few things to me:

Does Pak Mod Manager conflict with this? I notice PMM won't install this--it says it is, but it doesn't show in the list or the main folder.

I went ahead and did it as stated-- a "~mods" folder in the SFV Paks directory.

Now, should I be seeing the characters select screen "sped up" or no?

I'm almost sure it is working as I only see like 2 seconds of white screen but just wanted to confirm. I'm on a normal HDD btw.

Can someone explain a few things to me:

Does Pak Mod Manager conflict with this? I notice PMM won't install this--it says it is, but it doesn't show in the list or the main folder.

I went ahead and did it as stated-- a "~mods" folder in the SFV Paks directory.

Now, should I be seeing the characters select screen "sped up" or no?

I'm almost sure it is working as I only see like 2 seconds of white screen but just wanted to confirm. I'm on a normal HDD btw.

Just from a quick look, character animations appear to play normally on the character select screen, but transitions and interface elements are super fast (e.g. the blinking on the currently selected element). If you want to be sure, you can just try timing the time it takes to mash from the main menu to the training room, with and without the pack.

ElFly

I mean I am ok with shotos having frame meterless frame 1 invincible to hits and grabs DPs that also hit on those invincible frames...

...as long as Zangief gets meterless invincible SPDs that grab in the hit/grab invincibilitiy frames

game should be balanced

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I mean I am ok with shotos having frame meterless frame 1 invincible to hits and grabs DPs that also hit on those invincible frames...

...as long as Zangief gets meterless invincible SPDs that grab in the hit/grab invincibilitiy frames

game should be balanced
Those poor 16 or whatever characters without a DP lol

They aren't going to change some stubby limbs. That's part of the game's design, because it forces people to get closer since the game is more offensively based. Balrog's stubby ass normals are okay because he has the tools to move around, mount offense, and some decent AA tools. So while his range isn't all that good besides a few buttons, his tools compensate for that.

In comparison, Ryu's nerfs highlight the problem of having stubby limbs with a limited toolset. Before, he had damage, stun, and was fairly good at capitalizing on openings. But he still had to get close enough for the oppression to happen.

They scaled back the range on his moves AND took away his damage, leaving him nothing. So now, you have this character that can't get his work going.

Even with other characters, the offense is just too much with the lack of good reversals and means of escape. Like, you need to be able to get people off you. So basically, you need to give people a means of darting out, and not just in.

You gotta let the characters breathe once and a while and let them work.

Edit: While they aren't going to change stubby limbs, the hitboxes can be extended, obviously. Which is why what they did to Ryu is bullshit.

Yeah I don't believe they will change that either, but that is one of my biggest problems with SFV. It's clear what they want SFV to be and I don't like that direction.

It's not really a matter of performance but that the game forces you to watch the whole versus screen while the match is loaded and ready to go.
The match isn't "loaded and ready to go", the mod just speeds up the animation till the white screen where the actual loading takes place.
It's not like sf4 where vs screen was also the actual loading screen.

Ucchedavāda;230602398 said:
It only unlocks the FPS it at the character select screen, and even then it shouldn't be able to kill your PC unless your cooling is messed up. And even then, modern systems will throttle the performance and eventually shut down if you reach dangerous temperatures.

This is just SFV's problem with the fps not meant to go over 60fps as everything is tied to the frame rate putting more stress than say CSGO at 200fps. I can run plenty of games at double/quadruple the fps without the fans getting loud

nded

The match isn't "loaded and ready to go", the mod just speeds up the animation till the white screen where the actual loading takes place.
It's not like sf4 where vs screen was also the actual loading screen.

I'm fairly certain the white flash just indicates that the match is about to start, not that it's begun loading. I've had instances where the versus screen stays up longer than usual, but the white screen duration never seems to vary.

This is just SFV's problem with the fps not meant to go over 60fps as everything is tied to the frame rate putting more stress than say CSGO at 200fps. I can run plenty of games at double/quadruple the fps without the fans getting loud

That has nothing to do with the game-play being tied to the FPS (as in SFV). That is a question how much power power your card needs to draw to run the operations used by the game and therefore how much heat the card generates.

I'm fairly certain the white flash just indicates that the match is about to start, not that it's begun loading. I've had instances where the versus screen stays up longer than usual, but the white screen duration never seems to vary.

Nah, the white screen is the only time when memory is being accessed, the versus screen itself doesn't do jack shit. Also the white screen duration does vary, it's longer on ps4 compared to pc.
It's also longer on pc if you are matched with a ps4 player.

What should I know about playing Cammy? I've messed around with her online before but this is my first time dropping her into training mode and other than watching K-Brad replays I don't know what the best info is.

HK drill seems super good though. EZPZ meaty setups.
0gm1jK.gif

Vice

So the higher damage and positioning and V-meter gain from the CC isn't enough?
Not especially. The only characters that seem to be really hurt by the DP nerf are Ken and Ryu. Cammy is as strong as ever and Necali is still a threat.
Removing invinvible reversals has helped more chraracters than it hurt and returning them would just shift the tiers around to resemble season 1 more. Its a tool that four characters had that reduced any advantage from scoring a knockdown or plus frames on them. Adding another v-reversal or alternative roll would be better than bringing back meterless dps for a couple of characters if defense is the big concern in the game.

MrCarter

Nah, the white screen is the only time when memory is being accessed, the versus screen itself doesn't do jack shit. Also the white screen duration does vary, it's longer on ps4 compared to pc.
It's also longer on pc if you are matched with a ps4 player.

I wonder how they will implement this (even if it's possible) on PS4? Still need to see actual online footage on PC, PS4 and cross play to see if it works without breaking the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom