• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

And as for the top tiers, it was kinda that way at the start of the season too, where the top tiers ran a train until things evened out. I do think it's harder to deal with them because of their individual tools, but after seeing Karin condition Rog in Punk's match, I'm leaning to slight nerfs to his damage rather than a bunch.

Isn't that a weird example, when Karin still has the advantage against Rog in the MU?

Edzi

lol, this Punk vs. Mikeandike match is showcasing how stupid the top tiers in this game are. They're just picking whoever and going ham because why not.

EDIT: also, thuggery.

I don't know what happened to his v-trigger. But I remember speaking to Daigo and saying it was worse or something. I could be wrong!

And extending hurtboxes? Would that be a good idea? Maybe on some jumpins?
oof

I meant hitboxes.
Did Capcom srew up this bad with the balancing before?

I recall people getting mad for nerfing sentinel but that's a different story.
The balancing isn't bad. It's just that negatives are magnified when Capcom plans to only apply major balance updates once a year. It sounds nice on paper, but it doesn't end well in application imo.
SFV will be good when 6 comes out, then people can look back fondly like they do on 4. It's a cycle!
Literally the only thing SF4 does better than SFV is have a larger roster. SFV is the far better fighter.

I think the fun has more to do with your tolerance of the broken shit in proportion to the fun you are having. I hated fighting Sagat and 4 wasn't really my game compared to V so I had far less fun fighting a Sagat than a current Urien.

OH GOD SMUG WITH THESE EX DASH CANCELS INTO THROWS

GOD DAMN

MCD250

Smug and PRBalrog think Balrog loses to Cammy too.

Though not the most neutral opinions there.
Not like I'm neutral either, but I think I'd call that a fairly even matchup. It's mostly about who can get the momentum on their side first (though granted, Rog can make the comeback and get his own shit started better than most characters thanks to his NUTTY ASS DAMAGE).

Ah gotcha. Yeah, that'd be fine, especially on AAs.
Some heavy and medium AAs could use slightly better hitboxes, but the real problem is the low damage on punishes which don't do enough do discourage jumping. I know I'm always on about Alex, but he is a good example in this case. In the case of Alex even a successful cr.HP AA sometimes doesn't allow a NORMAL air knee strike to combo. On the other hand Urien can even convert into cr.HP>HP fireball>shoulder tackle>CA off a traded cr.HP. Other characters like Karin straight up have garbage AA normals. More characters need a closer look in the AA normal department. Maybe some could use new combos off AA normals, more damage on those buttons/specials or maybe Capcom should look to reversing some of the oki changes, so that previously nerfed characters can apply strong pressure after successful punishes (think air knee strike oki changes in season 2).

Season 2 is weird despite how even the game feels from a balance perspective.

I just want Smug to win to make MikeandIke mad again.

Some heavy and medium AAs could use slightly better hitboxes, but the real problem is the low damage on punishes which don't do enough do discourage jumping. I know I'm always on about Alex, but he is a good example in this case. In the case of Alex even a successful cr.HP AA sometimes doesn't allow a NORMAL air knee strike to combo. On the other hand Urien can even convert into cr.HP>HP fireball>shoulder tackle>CA off a traded cr.HP. Other characters like Karin straight up have garbage AA normals. More characters need a closer look in the AA normal department. Maybe some could use new combos off AA normals, more damage on those buttons/specials or maybe Capcom should look to reversing some of the oki changes, so that previously nerfed characters can apply strong pressure after successful punishes (think air knee strike oki changes in season 2).

Even juggles off of AAs would help so that you have a better reason to take the trade. Some characters have that, but it's definitely not enough across the board. That is, again, a good way of fixing the problem of defense this game has.

I just don't want it to get too heavy like every SF game seems to do in its direction. It's not a game killer for me, but SF4 had so many defensive options it was ridiculous. I hope they don't take SFV in that direction with the offense.

Offense is nice, but S1 at least gave people the ability to flip that switch and go defensive as well. You just kinda had to be a master at both.

EDIT: THUGGERY

ABSOLUTE THUGGERY

Mieu

Thanks for the output guys. It looks like the balancing is a mixed bag of some sort.

I guess people just find it really challenging or
hard
to adjust their skills with the changes applied.

Easier said than done but I think gamers should live by the lessons from the quotes of characters..

"The path of a true fighter never ends. We can only move forward one step at a time"

And yes, I hate Urien, Balrog, Vega, Guile, Bison, and Cammy. #bitter

I kid!! Hadouken all the way!!

Neoxon

Just because it's more balanced doesn't mean it's any better. Urien is pretty much Vanilla Sagat trading Cr.Hp into CA. Also Urien's cr.mk buff is the dumbest thing Capcom has done
Not even close, my friend. Urien's amazing in Season 2, sure, but he doesn't rule over SFV with an iron fist (hell, he may not be the best character in SFV Season 2). Vanilla SFIV Sagat on the other hand was a force of nature. If SFV S2 Urien is Vegeta, then Vanilla SFIV Sagat is Whis.

Thanks for the output guys. It looks like the balancing is a mixed bag of some sort.

I guess people just find it really challenging or
hard
to adjust their skills with the changes applied.

Easier said than done but I think gamers should live by the lessons from the quotes of characters..

And yes, I hate Urien, Balrog, Vega, Guile, Bison, and Cammy. #bitter

I kid!! Hadouken all the way!!

It's always been like that with fighting games. Even before patches, 'cept the reliance on balance changes has helped make that more vocal. And social media, of course.

Adaptation is kinda difficult in general. You put in a lot of hard work and suddenly things get shifted around, and hell if doesn't take months for things in fighters to get normalized. Salt, too, affects how we see shit, and seeing other people complain helps out in confirming something that happened rather than taking it to the lab and checking. It's not just SF, it's all fighting games. Tekken gets heat in its community, GG does as well, and so on. The more people that play, the more complaints. That's just numbers - Gundam Full Boost would be on blast way more than SFV if more people played it (and from what I hear, MaxiBoost as well).

Also, older games have the advantage of time. People just kinda accept stuff after a while. Doesn't make them bad or good, it just becomes an 'it is what it is" sorta thing.

SFV could stand to fix some stuff, but it's definitely not in a bad place. I think because people play it so much that we want changes more feverishly, and Capcom's reliance on one (or now two) balance patches per year makes that worse.

Did Capcom srew up this bad with the balancing before?

I recall people getting mad for nerfing sentinel but that's a different story.
As others have said, it's been way worse in other games. I wouldn't even consider it bad with S2, most of the cast is pretty viable. I don't know why tiers seem to be such a strong subject with SF5 and people acting like the top tier are some untouchable cut above the rest, in truth it just means they have like a couple more 6-4s on their side, heh.

As others have said, it's been way worse in other games. I wouldn't even consider it bad with S2, most of the cast is pretty viable. I don't know why tiers seem to be such a strong subject with SF5 and people acting like the top tier are some untouchable cut above the rest, in truth it just means they have like a couple more 6-4s on their side, heh.
I think people just want more defensive options, to make the game not feel as highly momentum based (and sometimes random AF). Like Chris G even said in his interview that he didn't necessarily want invincible meterless DPs back (after 3f).

Edzi

Because the way tiers work out in this game makes it overall less FUN, regardless of how viable the cast might be overall. It's not fun getting steamrolled by a top tier character going completely and utterly ham because their buttons are all positive while you have literally zero options.

Dahbomb

Yeah the issue is in the system mechanics not in the character balance.

There isn't enough freedom in the game through the mechanics. There aren't enough defensive styles in the game.

But most importantly the whole appeal of the game was supposed to be more focus on neutral and spacing/footsies but the game isn't excelling at that because of poor whiff punishing, anti airs, slow walk speeds vs fast dashes and in general limbs.

And reversal DPs are just a scapegoat, it's not going to fix the issue just like having them in S1 didn't make S1 a ton better. Though the crush counters should definitely be removed from meterless DPs at the very least.

kirblar

Yeah the issue is in the system mechanics not in the character balance.

There isn't enough freedom in the game through the mechanics. There aren't enough defensive styles in the game.

But most importantly the whole appeal of the game was supposed to be more focus on neutral and spacing/footsies but the game isn't excelling at that because of poor whiff punishing, anti airs, slow walk speeds vs fast dashes and in general limbs.

And reversal DPs are just a scapegoat, it's not going to fix the issue just like having them in S1 didn't make S1 a ton better. Though the crush counters should definitely be removed from meterless DPs at the very least.
The problem was that they made a game mashing up SF2 and SF3 w/ SFA normals w/ an offensive focus without considering that SF2 works because of the annoying defensive shit that low levels players complain about.

Dahbomb

There's very little of SF2 in SFV to be honest.

SF2 doesn't have great defensive options either aside from reversal DPs which you can't as easily mash them out because of the timing window. Throws couldn't be fully teched, you didn't have dashes and certainly didn't have V reversal to escape pressure. What made SF2 work is that if out tried to jump in on someone and got anti aired it would take a huge chunk of your life so there was more of a risk/reward ratio there. Or if you got swept/got hit by a normal in footsies then it actually hurt. Games could easily end without anyone landing a combo and if they landed a full combo then the game would certainly end very fast.

FluxWaveZ

If balance mattered, we'd all be playing vf and nobody would play marvel.

I think the issue comes when balance directly impacts how fun the game is. That's the reason Mika got nerfed significantly: because she wasn't fun to play against or watch. The problem is that S2 brought a bunch of "unfun" buffs and nerfs to characters. A lot of people have been saying how Capcom seems to want people to play characters in a very specific way with no room for freedom, and that's just not fun.

I just want Smug to win to make MikeandIke mad again.

Even juggles off of AAs would help so that you have a better reason to take the trade. Some characters have that, but it's definitely not enough across the board. That is, again, a good way of fixing the problem of defense this game has.

I just don't want it to get too heavy like every SF game seems to do in its direction. It's not a game killer for me, but SF4 had so many defensive options it was ridiculous. I hope they don't take SFV in that direction with the offense.

Offense is nice, but S1 at least gave people the ability to flip that switch and go defensive as well. You just kinda had to be a master at both.

EDIT: THUGGERY

ABSOLUTE THUGGERY
Alex needs more thuggery on his D j.HP flying cross chop. It improved combo-wise in SFV, but it lost it's juggling property and it's ease/versatility of use mid air. It should be usable during neutral jumps and at far more points in the forward jump arc like it was in 3S.
If balance mattered, we'd all be playing vf and nobody would play marvel.
Not quite

We'd all be playing VF, KOF XIII, VSav, AC+, AC+R, Skullgirl:2E, SFV and SF4. It's not a terrible selection to choose from imo.

kirblar

There's very little of SF2 in SFV to be honest.

SF2 doesn't have great defensive options either aside from reversal DPs which you can't as easily mash them out because of the timing window. Throws couldn't be fully teched, you didn't have dashes and certainly didn't have V reversal to escape pressure. What made SF2 work is that if out tried to jump in on someone and got anti aired it would take a huge chunk of your life so there was more of a risk/reward ratio there. Or if you got swept/got hit by a normal in footsies then it actually hurt. Games could easily end without anyone landing a combo and if they landed a full combo then the game would certainly end very fast.
The stun/damage design was clearly based around recreating SF2.

Then they nerfed all the damage because of their shitty online setup due to games being over in .5 seconds.

Pachinko

SFV will be good when 6 comes out, then people can look back fondly like they do on 4. It's a cycle!

I mean there's certainly a subset of people who think this but... I have more fun playing SFV even in it's allegedly trashy second season than I did with SF4. I don't hate SF4 either I just have more fun playing 5 right now.

Honestly- if they'd launched SF5 with the exact level of features that 4 had when it came to consoles, no one would even be comparing them but... you know, devils advocate - it's been just over a year since SF5's release and it still doesn't have a full trial mode like 4's, it still doesn't have a standard arcade mode with a proper "boss" at the end. So ... you know there's a lot going against it but... it's more fun to play for me. I can also say that there isn't a character in SFV that I hate as much as Rufus in SF4.

You can't get the normal knee strike if the cr.HP hits twice as AA unless you are facing the corner (I've never seen it). Depending on angle, if it hits once, you can get the knee out in the open.

You just do lp flash chop mid screen instead of knee. You can cancel into super if the flash chop hits them low to the ground (it will whiff other wise).

Other people are doing more damage of course though.

MCD250

I'm playing Alpha 3 right now and the fact that the CPU keeps doing wakeup super somehow makes me even more salty than when people online do it.

mbpm1

I mean there's certainly a subset of people who think this but... I have more fun playing SFV even in it's allegedly trashy second season than I did with SF4. I don't hate SF4 either I just have more fun playing 5 right now.

that's really what it comes down to.

When I enjoyed the game i could look past all these things. It was janky but charming in a weird way

When my interest dropped all of these turned me away and it became harder to really look past them, especially if they kept me from actually playing.

kobu

I mean I just haven't been playing because fighting most of the characters in this game with Vega just isn't fun anymore and all the non gameplay issues certainly don't help.

Kashiwaba

I mean I just haven't been playing because fighting most of the characters in this game with Vega just isn't fun anymore and all the non gameplay issues certainly don't help.

It's your fault for playing Vega lol, honestly i tried beating normal survival with Vega and i hated every moment of it.

bman94

Don't know if it's because of the population, the gameplay, or me just getting better over the years but I'm actually enjoying Street Fighter online.

Super Street Fighter IV online destroyed my core soul. It just seemed like every person I went against online on SSF IV was a god damn pro and I would get mercilessly merked. It's like really refreshing to be ranked with players that actually feel like they are on the same skill level as me.

Don't know if it's because of the population, the gameplay, or me just getting better over the years but I'm actually enjoying Street Fighter online.

Super Street Fighter IV online destroyed my core soul. It just seemed like every person I went against online on SSF IV was a god damn pro and I would get mercilessly merked. It's like really refreshing to be ranked with players that actually feel like they are on the same skill level as me.
Probably doesn't hurt that SFIV's online ran like the characters were underwater while SFV's online for the most part feel like the person is sitting right next to you.

Gameplay wise I much prefer V over IV, though I'll gladly admit that it is not without issues, and actually had a hard time going back to IV after playing the betas back when. And while I love the addition of cross-play, for example, technically speaking there are many areas where V is a significant step down from IV.

Spuck-uk

Banned
As I recall, he meant that more in the context of the popularity of certain characters among casual and professional players. 3rd Strike's balance issues were such that the game was mostly dominated by a handful of characters (Ken, Chun Li, Yun, Makoto, etc.) just as SFV is (currently, at least) dominated by its own handful (Laura, Urien, Balrog, etc.).

The top tiers in SFV aren't even remotely comparable to the top tiers in 3rd strike though (also, Laura isn't even top 5). There's definitely more character viability and variety in V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom