• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD250

Street Fighter 3 wasn't welcomed by the community at first, it was only really until 2nd Gen/3rd Strike that the game really started to get a fanbase. Personally I've never been of a fan of the game's overall systems mainly due to the universal parry which I feel limited the roster and possible styles of play quite a bit. Just see how (not)good Remy is, or that a character like Sagat or Dhalsim would never work as well in that game.
Yeah, I can't hang with SFIII for similar reasons. It's a shame though, because in terms of presentation, graphics, animation and gameplay feel that game really is top notch. In a lot of ways it's basically the first modern Street Fighter game.

Bonchan is still putting in dat work with Nash. It's almost like Nash is... still viable
thinking.gif
Bonchan is the rare case of a player who is keenly, intimately familiar with his character's toolset and how to best exploit it in an efficient manner. Watching him work can be a sight sometimes. He's terrific at intuiting things like, say, which antiair tool is best for a given situation, or what kind of frame advantage a certain attack will give him depending on range and whether or not the attack was a counterhit (and how to best capitalize from there). Dude really is incredible.

What is Balrog supposed to do against F.A.N.G? I just ran into my first one since playing Rog, and I had no idea what my game-plan was supposed to be, and how to deal with his traps .. so I just embraced my inner Ken, played like a fool, and won.

FluxWaveZ

Heh, losers rage quitting in Ranked when points aren't even being registered. Fantastic. I wonder if the RQ penalty is still in effect, or if that's borked as well.

Apropos of nothing, but if there's one thing Capcom definitely did better with SFV than NRS has done with Injustice 2 so far, it's how they handled the game's online beta. People knew exactly how to get in to the former's if they wanted to, and I think there was a lot more buzz around it. Those were fun times.

Apropos of nothing, but if there's one thing Capcom definitely did better with SFV than NRS has done with Injustice 2 so far, it's how they handled the game's online beta. People knew exactly how to get in to the former's if they wanted to, and I think there was a lot more buzz around it. Those were fun times.

The fact that they gave you two SFV betas on Steam to give away to friends, if you had pre-ordered the game, was pretty great. Even if we had to wait for a while before we were allowed in the beta. *grumble*

MCD250

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";230613196]What should I know about playing Cammy? I've messed around with her online before but this is my first time dropping her into training mode and other than watching K-Brad replays I don't know what the best info is.

HK drill seems super good though. EZPZ meaty setups.
0gm1jK.gif
[/QUOTE]
She has bomb ass normals. Good range and good frame data. Check it out. Mix things up a lot. It's good to develop a sense of when to switch up between normal pressure and throws (she can tick throw very easily, which helps). Her divekicks need to be properly spaced so that, ideally, they hit at the opponent's waist or lower. Anywhere above that and you will be negative (sometimes very negative) on block. Divekicking from hooligan combination gives you better frame advantage, I think, but hooligan is a pretty terrible move so use sparingly. And bMP is legit one of the best antiairs in the game.

And yes, her spiral arrows are great for meaties.

Ryce

I can't believe it's been more than seven months since the Alex and Ibuki nostalga costumes, Bison's SFII stage, and Chun-Li Akiman costumes were announced. It's also been more than a year since Extra Battle mode was revealed.

Village

I can't believe it's been more than seven months since the Alex and Ibuki nostalga costumes, Bison's SFII stage, and Chun-Li Akiman costumes were announced. It's also been more than a year since Extra Battle mode was revealed.

I want that damn bison stage so bad.

Damn, I forgot about that Bison stage.

Where the fuuuuuuuck is it. I have the FM for it right now.

My hunch is that they showed off those upcoming DLC things in the expectation of being able to work on them, but then SFV's dev team was cut down or something.

I can't imagine there are many devs on SFV now given that it is not selling at all. The game was built based on the expectation of having a long tail of sales. That simply hasn't happened (because a lot of people think the game is butts).

Ryce

My hunch is that they showed off those upcoming DLC things in the expectation of being able to work on them, but then SFV's dev team was cut down or something.
The nostalgia costumes looked nearly finished.

HKrA1vw.jpg

It shouldn't take seven-plus months to get from there to completion.

MCD250

I can't imagine there are many devs on SFV now given that it is not selling at all. The game was built based on the expectation of having a long tail of sales. That simply hasn't happened (because a lot of people think the game is butts).
That may well be. But if that were the case, I would expect a major slowdown in terms of downloadable content releases for the game in general, and it doesn't feel to me as though that has happened. We got a new stage (Akuma's temple), a stage variation (the Christmas boulevard) and new costumes (the Christmas pack) less than two months ago. This is obviously not even taking into account that they've also put out a new character in that timeframe and will be putting out another one shortly. Theoretically, the stage they put out could have been the Bison stage instead of Akuma's temple and the costumes could have been Alex and Ibuki's nostalgia costumes instead of the Christmas ones. It's just that for one reason or another that isn't what happened.

It seems to me that the game has settled into a steady schedule of putting out DLC (characters, costumes, stages, etc.) every 1-2 months or so, but for some reason these three particular pieces of DLC (the Bison stage, Alex and Ibuki's costumes) keep getting placed in the backburner despite the fact that they were announced ages ago and that new stuff keeps coming out in the meantime. It's extremely bizarre.

I've noticed that I have this bad habit of looking away while I am being comboed or about to be punished, especially if I am a bit tired, which means that I miss even obvious resets and throws. Have anyone else run into this and have any advice for avoiding this habit?

Pompadour

That may well be. But if that were the case, I would expect a major slowdown in terms of downloadable content releases for the game in general, and it doesn't feel to me as though that has happened. We got a new stage (Akuma's temple), a stage variation (the Christmas boulevard) and new costumes (the Christmas pack) less than two months ago. This is obviously not even taking into account that they've also put out a new character in that timeframe and will be putting out another one shortly. Theoretically, the stage they put out could have been the Bison stage instead of Akuma's temple and the costumes could have been Alex and Ibuki's nostalgia costumes instead of the Christmas ones. It's just that for one reason or another that isn't what happened.

It seems to me that the game has settled into a steady schedule of putting out DLC (characters, costumes, stages, etc.) every 1-2 months or so, but for some reason these three particular pieces of DLC (the Bison stage, Alex and Ibuki's costumes) keep getting placed in the backburner despite the fact that they were announced ages ago and that new stuff keeps coming out in the meantime. It's extremely bizarre.

They're probably saving them for months that don't have seasonal themed DLC or character releases so they have something to put in during content droughts. Or they're saving them for SF3's anniversary month.

Edzi

They're probably saving them for months that don't have seasonal themed DLC or character releases so they have something to put in during content droughts. Or they're saving them for SF3's anniversary month.

Isn't that this month? I think we would have heard something by now.

Ryce

It would’ve made too much sense for Capcom to release Kolin and Alex’s and Ibuki’s nostalgia costumes on SFIII’s 20th anniversary.

I think I just got quit on by a Ryu, who was about to lose 100 LP, just as I hit the winning KO. On the bright side, that's only be the second possible quit I've had since Season 2 started. Or the third if I count the time that I got timed out while being beaten up by a Necalli. So at least the anti-RQ system appears to be working, even if the servers are limping.

Scotia

Banned

I've just accepted that the nostalgic costumes aren't coming.

MrCarter

Capcom are bloody weird. They release all of this other content such as Akuma (with his nostalgic costume), his stage, Christmas and Halloween stuff AND are releasing 5 new fighters (even Kolin has a nostalgic costume) with more themes and possible stages, yet they don't release anything they announced months ago? Really bloody weird.

ArjanN

Ucchedavāda;230617230 said:
I've noticed that I have this bad habit of looking away while I am being comboed or about to be punished, especially if I am a bit tired, which means that I miss even obvious resets and throws. Have anyone else run into this and have any advice for avoiding this habit?

I've run into it, but not really in SFV, as the combos are pretty short compared to anime fighters.

nded

Nah, the white screen is the only time when memory is being accessed, the versus screen itself doesn't do jack shit. Also the white screen duration does vary, it's longer on ps4 compared to pc.
It's also longer on pc if you are matched with a ps4 player.

I was going to test this on the PC version but it appears that SFV has somehow become borked on both my PCs. Instead, I dicked around on the PS4 and checked out loading times in training and survival mode.

Something is loading during the white flash, but I'm pretty sure it's not loading everything right then and there. Starting the first round of survival takes longer than the white screen, but I noticed that the fifth round loading screen takes about the same amount of time to load the new stage. What seems to be happening is that character models are loaded and stored in memory after they're chosen at the select screen, and the stage is loaded before or during the white screen.

Ha, just played him again expecting what to come and beat most of his runs, DPs and jumps. After like 4 rounds of this he started playing the ground game. Lost 2-1 with very close rounds, which I'm happy with.

Good job!

They also recently faced and lost to imstilldadaddy, but almost won the first match.
It's kind of amazing that they've been able to maintain their rank playing like this, but I guess that a lot of people have a hard time dealing with somebody who plays like a maniac (including myself).

One thing I noticed, though, is that they appear to have weak anti-airs. In the 4 matches I watched, they almost always blocked jump-ins (DP'd once or twice), and still got hit a lot. You might be able to get some mileage out jump-ins and empty jump lows / throws, if you face them again.

I was going to test this on the PC version but it appears that SFV has somehow become borked on both my PCs. Instead, I dicked around on the PS4 and checked out loading times in training and survival mode.

Something is loading during the white flash, but I'm pretty sure it's not loading everything right then and there. Starting the first round of survival takes longer than the white screen, but I noticed that the fifth round loading screen takes about the same amount of time to load the new stage. What seems to be happening is that character models are loaded and stored in memory after they're chosen at the select screen, and the stage is loaded before or during the white screen.

I already tested this in OT4:
SF5's loading is really weird and mostly artificial imo.

After messing around with survival some more, I noticed that survival was loading at max 1.5s between fights, regardless of whether or not the stage also changed.
So I monitored ram usage and basically SF5 loads most of the things it needs at startup, resting at around ~900/1000mb in memory.

Then when it loads a fight it uses another 200/300mb, this is the same for any kind of fight, whether it's versus or online or survival or training.
But in survival I noticed that once a fight was over, it would slightly bump the memory and then drop down again when the next fight started.
This means that that 200/300mb's it loads on a fight is all the base data it needs to quickly switch between characters/stages (1.5seconds tops)

This makes me wonder why it doesn't just loads in at ~1200mb in the first place? Especially since most of the versus screen it's only loading a tiny bit, most of the loading comes during the white screen. We could be doing a whole lot less staring at VS screens if the game just used a tiny bit more ram at all times.

Spman2099

It is almost impossible to understand how incredibly poor the communication has been. I have to assume that they only have two or three people working on DLC. Otherwise, they are almost unfathomably incompetent.

I don't get Nash's nerfs mostly because I feel like he didn't gain enough back. For most characters, nerfs came with buffs (or not so obvious buffs, like system wise stuff that helps them).

And Ryu's damage was the problem. You know, if they made his trigger better, lowered his damage, and maybe gave him another tool to compensate for the white life damage like upping the damage on his fireball or making it better, that would have been fine. I think the universal changes (besides the reversals) didn't take every thing into account, or rather, did a "the needs of the many" route. That's par for the course in any fighting game, but tougher to swallow in a game so already tightly balanced.

On the flipside, as I've said before, white life needs to be scaled back a bit, but it makes characters a lot more useable. Without it, Bison, Rashid, and a bunch others wouldn't be a strong. But scaling it to the middle of the road between this patch and previous version wouldn't be so bad, I think.
Ryu's v-trigger was amazing in season 1. If I recall correctly it gave him extra damage, stun and it even made his critical art the only one that could stun in the game. I don't know what they did to it in season 2, but it was a good v-trigger on a character with stupid high base damage output.
Oh well in that sense, he is not wrong.

Also Capcom is getting left behind.
This is fantastic, but I'm a little hesitant to try it. Unfortunately it still wouldn't change load times online since you'd have to wait on the other player anyway (unless they also have the mod, I guess?). SFV's loading really is a sore point.
They aren't going to change some stubby limbs. That's part of the game's design, because it forces people to get closer since the game is more offensively based. Balrog's stubby ass normals are okay because he has the tools to move around, mount offense, and some decent AA tools. So while his range isn't all that good besides a few buttons, his tools compensate for that.

In comparison, Ryu's nerfs highlight the problem of having stubby limbs with a limited toolset. Before, he had damage, stun, and was fairly good at capitalizing on openings. But he still had to get close enough for the oppression to happen.

They scaled back the range on his moves AND took away his damage, leaving him nothing. So now, you have this character that can't get his work going.

Even with other characters, the offense is just too much with the lack of good reversals and means of escape. Like, you need to be able to get people off you. So basically, you need to give people a means of darting out, and not just in.

You gotta let the characters breathe once and a while and let them work.

Edit: While they aren't going to change stubby limbs, the hitboxes can be extended, obviously. Which is why what they did to Ryu is bullshit.
Season 3 will be a massive hurtbox extension program if Capcom is smart. That should be the case for far reaching normals that can't be special cancelled at the very least.
Ucchedavāda;230613858 said:
What is Balrog supposed to do against F.A.N.G? I just ran into my first one since playing Rog, and I had no idea what my game-plan was supposed to be, and how to deal with his traps .. so I just embraced my inner Ken, played like a fool, and won.
Play footsies until you get a bar. Hit FANG with an EX low and you win. It's not like anyone except Xian is going to stop a great Balrog's pressure anyway.
Third Strike always stays on the backburner. Now that we're on the topic I'm also a bit sad that we never got Alex and Ibuki's 3S stages redone for SFV. Urien's stage is nothing special, but Ibuki and Alex had nice stages. Balrog and Guile got stage DLC, but not any of the 3S characters or Juri.

Mieu

Did Capcom srew up this bad with the balancing before?

I recall people getting mad for nerfing sentinel but that's a different story.

Moaradin

Not even close. S2 so far is a lot more balanced than Third Strike, or vanilla and AE SF4. There's no characters that stand way above everyone else like those games.

Dahbomb

This is not even close to being among the worst Capcom balancing, let alone worst SF balancing. Season 2 balancing is severely over blown IMO.

Ranmasama just won IGL in New Orleans by the way, I watched it live and in person!

People absolutely DESPISED the HDR rebalancing for example.

WB is definitely S2 lmao

But there have been a bunch of tournaments prior to this one that had way more variation. Ryan Hart was commentating one where the finals were Ken and Birdie, and earlier this year there was one with Rashid, Ibuki, and a bunch others. NLBC usually has good variation, even if Idiom cleans up too often if it ain't Smug.

Ryu's v-trigger was amazing in season 1. If I recall correctly it gave him extra damage, stun and it even made his critical art the only one that could stun in the game. I don't know what they did to it in season 2, but it was a good v-trigger on a character with stupid high base damage output.

Season 3 will be a massive hurtbox extension program if Capcom is smart. That should be the case for far reaching normals that can't be special cancelled at the very least.

I don't know what happened to his v-trigger. But I remember speaking to Daigo and saying it was worse or something. I could be wrong!

And extending hurtboxes? Would that be a good idea? Maybe on some jumpins?

SF3 3rd Strike and SFIV AE two notable ones i can think of.

And I wouldnt consider the balance bad. Its at a neutral level; Like any fighting game there is gonna be a top tier and low tier.

Dahbomb

I think if you shaved off the top 4 a bit and brought up the bottom 4 right now then Season 2 is very reasonably balanced. I am hoping that's what the upcoming balance patch will be doing.

Not even close. S2 so far is a lot more balanced than Third Strike, or vanilla and AE SF4. There's no characters that stand way above everyone else like those games.

Just because it's more balanced doesn't mean it's any better. Urien is pretty much Vanilla Sagar trading Cr.Hp into CA. Also Urien's cr.mk buff is the dumbest thing Capcom has done

MCD250

I don't know what happened to his v-trigger. But I remember speaking to Daigo and saying it was worse or something. I could be wrong!
I feel like it runs out way too fast. I don't know if it ran out this quick in S1; it might be that I never noticed because Ryu was so strong back then he didn't really need it much, but it's almost stupid how quickly it counts down and gets used up by his special moves. Especially compared to Ken's.

I think if you shaved off the top 4 a bit and brought up the bottom 4 right now then Season 2 is very reasonably balanced. I am hoping that's what the upcoming balance patch will be doing.
I've said it before but I honestly think the gap between the 4-5 top tiers and everyone else is just too damn big at this point. It's a weird ass thing because if you took those 4-5 guys the rest of the cast would probably feel fairly well balanced. But the top tiers just push the scale too far in one direcion, more so than in S1.

I feel like it runs out way too fast. I don't know if it ran out this quick in S1; it might be that I never noticed because Ryu was so strong back then he didn't really need it much, but it's almost stupid how quickly it counts down and gets used up by his special moves. Especially compared to Ken's.

I've said it before but I honestly think the gap between the 4-5 top tiers and everyone else is just too damn big at this point. It's a weird ass thing because if you took those 4-5 guys the rest of the cast would probably feel fairly well balanced. But the top tiers just push the scale too far in one direcion, more so than in S1.

Yeah, either letting him get to that point or letting him stay there longer would be great, and add more diversity.

And as for the top tiers, it was kinda that way at the start of the season too, where the top tiers ran a train until things evened out. I do think it's harder to deal with them because of their individual tools, but after seeing Karin condition Rog in Punk's match, I'm leaning to slight nerfs to his damage rather than a bunch.

Hmmm. But I really like 5 and still hate 4.

Stop, you are breaking the cycle!

STOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom