• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter VI |OT| VI is for VICTORY

Naked Lunch

Dumb question but if you’re in a custom room or at one of the cabinets, how the fuck do you change your character between matches?
Thats my biggest beef with the game. I hate being locked into one character. The character select screen should be in there for online casual matches.

Im the 'pick everyone on the board' player - or even random select - and this aspect is now gone. You have to exit the cabinet to change your character then reload. Its dumb.

Dr. Suchong

Gold Member
You have to push square to enter your Battle Settings(go to battle hub or fighting ground), then hit then highlight character. When you do that, hit triangle to update character settings. There you can make things specific, and permanent. Not sure why they made things so obtuse, but here we are.
Totally agree.
Took me awhile to figure this out too.
Ended up looking (more) foolish going into battle with (unbeknownst to me) modern controls or whatnot.
Baffling really.

I haven't played a Street Fighter since old school Street Fighter 2 on like SNES lol. For some reason though this one is calling out to me.

As a total noob I gotta admit the modern controls are making me interested. You guys think this is a good one to pick up even if im coming in as a total shitter?

Id just be using the basic dual shock too, not sure if the fighting stick is really necessary or not?
Last time I played Street Fighter was renting the SNES game. I’m doing fine and having fun in ranked mode with the regular PS5 controller.

Legit question, I think. What the hell did I get with the ultimate edition? I didn't even know a fight pass existed(it looks like shit), but I thought it came with everything as far as launch is concerned. I guess it just comes with the first season of DLC characters and stages, but damn.

SCB3

Legit question, I think. What the hell did I get with the ultimate edition? I didn't even know a fight pass existed(it looks like shit), but I thought it came with everything as far as launch is concerned. I guess it just comes with the first season of DLC characters and stages, but damn.
You get the first season pass and tier skips, all 4 Year 1 Characters and some exclusive skins/colors I believe

So decided to pick up my actual Main today in Ken and my god it felt good to be somewhat home, hes slightly different now but still good, Bronze 2 Stars with 8/10 wins, not bad, even beat a Silver Zangief on my next match as well, Gief on the otherhand is OP as fuck, Modern Controls make his hard to do grabs so easy and even at reduced damage its rough

Still getting better at handling him and him a few wins against players using him, a dash backward is usually enough to get outta range and punish with Kens 3 Mid combo

Is it possible to only match up with same control type people online?

I started with modern but felt bad after realizing it sort of auto combos, but fighting a modern player while I'm new to classic is roughhh

Labolas

As much as grief I give SF6 (I think World Tour is the worst aspect of the game), it still blows Strive out of the water. Still plays like Street Fighter without sacrificing its identity like Strive did.

As much as grief I give SF6 (I think World Tour is the worst aspect of the game), it still blows Strive out of the water. Still plays like Street Fighter without sacrificing its identity like Strive did.
I definitely have my grievances about SF6, something I've never had about a new Street Fighter to be honest. That said, it does still play like street fighter for the most part, so I agree with you.

Man, just on the cusp of platinum with Kim, and can’t quite make it there lol. Just hovering around 12.5k
Keeping losing to stupid shit and getting frustrated then playing worse, making dumb mistakes and dropping combos hahahaha, fighting games bring out the salt 🧂

Is it possible to only match up with same control type people online?

I started with modern but felt bad after realizing it sort of auto combos, but fighting a modern player while I'm new to classic is roughhh
You shouldn’t feel any guilt about using modern. You are literally missing half of the buttons (making you are very predictable) and deal 20% less damage.

Just_one

Anyone knows when tournments will be live?!?! Beaides world tour , the 600 likes and 100 ranked trophies , its the only trophies i have left

Finally got Kim to Plat, was getting worried there for a sec. Don’t think I can’t make it to diamond in 2 days tho lol, next week, new character time.

Dr. Suchong Dr. Suchong
Marisa is good, definitely one of the characters I fear seeing on the new challenger screen lol

Last edited:
Played a bit more of ranked. I am rookie rank (it’s pretty much my first Street Fighter game) and, wow, everyone I play against is bad. Really bad. Like, defeat them using just low kicks bad.

I also now understand some of the hate against modern control players. I’m still all for the modern controls and use them myself, but I don’t use the assisted combos. It is kind of a shitty feeling when you are actually trying to get good at the game and your opponent is literally just holding down a button. I’ve only come across one blatant assisted combo player, and that was enough for me to not rematch them. It isn’t that fun to play against, even though they are easy to beat.

Last edited:
pCpIM5b.jpg
She still hands out buss ass so many years later.

That's the new girl she handles a lot better.

I'm trying to climb with Sim man he either blows the opponent up or gets blown up, almost no in between.

Naked Lunch

A couple weeks in and the honeymoon is over with SF6 for me.
The game is fun, its fine, its better than SF4 and 5 but no where even close to Street Fighter 3.

So many of the rounds come down to either countering or not countering the DIs. The DIs are ultimately a wedge right in the middle of the game design - that doesnt really need to be there at all. The game would be so much better without it.

The green boost mechanic is simply too tough for an intermediate to pull off consistently and on cue - and once you get to a semi upper echelon of play - the green boost is used frequently and efficiently - it turns SF6 into a whole other game. I simply dont have that kind of execution to do those green tricks mid combo when theres an opening.
Basically its too complicated for its own good imo. Watching the top dhalsim player and ill simply never be able to pull off that stuff, nor do I think I even want to - its just insane the execution needed.

SF6 lacks that core, pure, yet simple gameplay that made SF3 so timeless.
SF6 is still fun, I still do pretty well online, and ill still continue to play it - just too much weird shit (that I simply do not like) in there for my tastes.

Valt7786

pCpIM5b.jpg

I'm trying to climb with Sim man he either blows the opponent up or gets blown up, almost no in between.
How much better is the new stick? My TE2 is feels like it's starting to show its age a bit, tempted to invest in of these but need some convincing to push the buy button!

How much better is the new stick? My TE2 is feels like it's starting to show its age a bit, tempted to invest in of these but need some convincing to push the buy button!
A lot I can nail my drive rush combos much easier on the new stick. That virtual controller is the best thing ever. Has really helped me clean up my inputs.
The Hori stick just feels more accurate.

Last edited:

SCB3

pCpIM5b.jpg

Please don't make me wanna go back to a stick, these are gorgeous

Anyway, after Diablo most of the weekend, decided to pick a random character to do a few hours of and placements, ended up on Manon and it took me a bit of time to get used to her but did some nice stuff, lost my first 3 matches throughly beaten but then pulled off 7 straight wins against rough opponents and ended up in GOLD 1! How the fuck did that happen, but I learnt a lot of how to counter certain characters like Dhalsim and Guile with her, could potencially be a new mainstay with Ken and Juri for me in SF6

SCB3

Also does anyone have any tips for WT mode especially on Attack and Defence? My guy seems so weak compared to the main cast, and that first tournament was kinda rough as well

Valt7786

Also does anyone have any tips for WT mode especially on Attack and Defence? My guy seems so weak compared to the main cast, and that first tournament was kinda rough as well
Upgrade clothing, eat food, look in the shops and chests dotted around for the permanent stat increase items, don't forget your talent tree as well.

SCB3

Upgrade clothing, eat food, look in the shops and chests dotted around for the permanent stat increase items, don't forget your talent tree as well.
Yea been doing that, the only things I'm missing are sub missions I may just go knock out a bunch of them next

It’s starts out a bit difficult but as you level up and get better gear and unlock more moves you’ll be smashing masters like they are a joke.

Just run around with some XP food if you have it unlocked and fight people. You seem to get more style xp from fighting people instead of mobs of enemies. Look for people around your level and smash em!

Last edited:

SCB3

It’s starts out a bit difficult but as you level up and get better gear and unlock more moves you’ll be smashing masters like they are a joke.

Just run around with some XP food if you have it unlocked and fight people. You seem to get more style xp from fighting people instead of mobs of enemies. Look for people around your level and smash em!
Actually thats a good point, I'm levelling Ken up a lot faster picking random fights than I did with Luke at the start with mainly mobs of Red guys

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
A couple weeks in and the honeymoon is over with SF6 for me.
The game is fun, its fine, its better than SF4 and 5 but no where even close to Street Fighter 3.

So many of the rounds come down to either countering or not countering the DIs. The DIs are ultimately a wedge right in the middle of the game design - that doesnt really need to be there at all. The game would be so much better without it.

The green boost mechanic is simply too tough for an intermediate to pull off consistently and on cue - and once you get to a semi upper echelon of play - the green boost is used frequently and efficiently - it turns SF6 into a whole other game. I simply dont have that kind of execution to do those green tricks mid combo when theres an opening.
Basically its too complicated for its own good imo. Watching the top dhalsim player and ill simply never be able to pull off that stuff, nor do I think I even want to - its just insane the execution needed.

SF6 lacks that core, pure, yet simple gameplay that made SF3 so timeless.
SF6 is still fun, I still do pretty well online, and ill still continue to play it - just too much weird shit (that I simply do not like) in there for my tastes.
Fucking lol.

Calls Drive system too complex and hard. Says SF3 is simple. HAHAHAHAHHA!

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Fucking lol.

Calls Drive system too complex and hard. Says SF3 is simple. HAHAHAHAHHA!
My Q has been beasting the biggest of dorks with ease with the most basic of tactics for decades.
Laugh it up son. We can have opinions different from yours.
The sun will set on random DI SF6 in due time - youll see.

I mean, this is definitely the easiest Street Fighter to date as far as gameplay and execution goes. I think my issue is that it doesn't add anything to compensate for what's it's taken away. SFV took away some(not all) execution, but it added tension, match up experience, and data knowledge. The Drive System is good, and does add it's own flair, but it gives everyone the same tools for the most part. I loved how the V-System gave everyone something specific to them, and changed games. SF6 has been really fun, but I guess I've been around long enough to want to see how the balance, diversity (in character gameplay), and match up knowledge changes throughout this games life. It's fun as of now, for sure!

Please don't make me wanna go back to a stick, these are gorgeous

Anyway, after Diablo most of the weekend, decided to pick a random character to do a few hours of and placements, ended up on Manon and it took me a bit of time to get used to her but did some nice stuff, lost my first 3 matches throughly beaten but then pulled off 7 straight wins against rough opponents and ended up in GOLD 1! How the fuck did that happen, but I learnt a lot of how to counter certain characters like Dhalsim and Guile with her, could potencially be a new mainstay with Ken and Juri for me in SF6
I absolutely love Manon. She and Marisa are the two new characters I gel with the most. I try to play JP I'm just terrible with him.

SkylineRKR

I still use the HRAP N Hayabusa I bought ages ago for PS4. Last year I swapped everything out for Sanwa because frankly, Hayabusa sucks. Sensitive and noisy, and the stick has a too wide throw.

But if you have problems with inputs, install an octagonal gate and perhaps a 2LB spring. I did so last year and 2D plays like a dream since.

Thats my biggest beef with the game. I hate being locked into one character. The character select screen should be in there for online casual matches.

Im the 'pick everyone on the board' player - or even random select - and this aspect is now gone. You have to exit the cabinet to change your character then reload. Its dumb.

Agreed. and its on Modern by default as well. You can apply it to all but you have to do it before you matchmake. So without realizing I was Luke and Modern controls and I never used both.

Yea I weirdly gelled with her over time, not sure why either, I think its cause her 2 main combos pull the opponent in for a throw, making it an easy time for some stuff to hit
back HP, into spinning command hit qcf lp or mp feels so good when you land it. Simple but huge damage.

Ooo thats a nice combo, gonna lab that later, I've been liking the Mid, Mid, Grab combo as it catches alot out as they don't expect to be so close again
crouching MP, or Standing MK for poke. If either lands drive rush into back HP and qcf MP for free medal levels and big damage.

I'd be curious to see what the numbers are like for modern controls. They pushed it so hard, and it seems like Luke was designed with it in mind, and he's perfectly suited for World Tour mode as well. I don't see it too often while playing casuals and ranked, but it comes up pretty often in Battle Hub.

SCB3

I'd be curious to see what the numbers are like for modern controls. They pushed it so hard, and it seems like Luke was designed with it in mind, and he's perfectly suited for World Tour mode as well. I don't see it too often while playing casuals and ranked, but it comes up pretty often in Battle Hub.
Luke is the new perfect beginner character imo, Ryu and Ken used to be but around SF4 they got a bit more complicated, especially Ken

crouching MP, or Standing MK for poke. If either lands drive rush into back HP and qcf MP for free medal levels and big damage.
I forgot about the Medal levels, I may have to use the Chracter Guide with her and see what else she can do

nbkicker

Well loving online and fighting ground but world tour i thought was never for me a stupid street fighter rpg or whatever hate all this bull with stats etc, but thought id give it a go and played through to level 12-2 tournament of outlaws and just doing my head in got to the four round, then just switched it off before i threw controller through window, you hit them to take a mm of health bar off yet they hit u three times and its game over, world tour mode should have had a better difficuly level its either to easy or just annoying to be playing a battle for whats seems like a hr to die cause they hit u three times

Guile’s been fun so far. Got placed in Gold after my matches. 1/2 way to plat now.

My favorite match up is Geif lol. I don’t think a single one has stayed for the second match hahahaahahaha

As an iron rank Chun Li, the number of Lukes spamming the modern control assisted combos is too damn high. They lose, but it’s not that fun to play against.

I’m up to iron 3 or something. I am slowly learning combos with Chun Li. Each session, I go into the combo trials and learn a couple more. I really want to unlock her classic outfit, but I’m burnt out on world tour.

Last edited:

amigastar

Today i've played against Daigo and I beat him
jk, i wish, lol
But seriously i have a question, hows the Singleplayer World Tour mode, is it actually really good or just repetitive stuff?

Last edited:
Top Bottom