• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

Silky

Banned
9LTHkfp.png

Originally conceived as a project by Capcom and manga studio Moto Kikaku, Strider originally debuted in 1989 as a side scrolling action title for the Arcade. It proved to be one of Capcom's early successes before the inception of Street Fighter II. Since it's release, it's been given multiple console ports with different revisions of the gameplay (the NES version being drastically different than the Arcade/Mega Drive versions) official sequels (Strider 2) and unofficial sequels (Strider II.) The star, Strider Hiryu has also been featured in his own manga detailing his story as well as multiple other Capcom titles, his famous appearance being in the Marvel vs Capcom series.

Now in 2014, Capcom brings Hiryu back to previous and current gen consoles, as well as PC under another development collaboration between Capcom Osaka and Double Helix. (Killer Instinct developers.)

eZ8EpER.gif

Developers: Double Helix / Capcom Osaka
Publishers: Capcom
Available for: Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, PC (Steam)
Price: $14.99
Release Date: 2/18/14 (PSN), 2/19/14 (Everything else.)

OXGutDN.gif

Strider retains it's classic side scrolling gameplay seen in Strider 2, and the exploration aspects of Strider NES. As Hiryu traverses the large map of Kazakh City ruled by his nemesis, Grandmaster Meio, he begins to gain new abilities and power ups for his Cypher as well as multiple support items. His movelist includes attacks from both Strider and Strider 2, as well as his famous attacks from Marvel vs. Capcom (no X-Factor sadly). Below is a list of techniques that we know so far.

strider-run2.gif

Physical Techniques
Assault Fang - Slide kick which destroys any enemy in its way. It can also break through vent shafts.
Double Jump - A Double Jump!
Plasma Catapult - Hiryu's air dash used for dodging and quick maneuvering!
Kunai - knives used to attack enemies, can also be upgraded like the rest of his equipment!

strider-specialcut.gif

Cypher Techniques

Charge Attack - Hiryu charges up the Cypher and it goes 2x the length!
Down Strike - In mid-air, Hiryu charges up and then dives downward to strike the ground with a powerful shockwave attack.

Cypher Upgrades

Reflect Cypher - When the scarf is crimson red, the Cypher can deflect shots from enemies, sometimes sending them back if timed correctly.
Burst Cypher - When the scarf is orange, damage of the Cypher is increased and it can set enemies on fire!
Ultra-Cold Cypher- When the scarf is blue, Hiryu can freeze enemies with the Cypher. It's also utilized for platforming. (You can jump on the enemies as they're frozen.
Magnetic Cypher - When the scarf is purple, Hiryu summons two projectiles around him that can fire at enemies, then come back.

strider-super22.gif

Options
Hiryu also gets access to his three support robots, the Options. They have been updated with new attacks, inspired by their behavior in the Marvel vs. Capcom series.

Option A: Satellite. Once active it produces two bots that spin around Hiryu, protecting him from attacks. They also shoot projectiles. Ouroboros!
Option B: Panther. Used to weed through large crowds. When near the Panther monuments, Panther will perform a Panther Run to carry Hiryu across areas.
Option C: Eagle. Used to perform a quick swoop attack from above at enemies in front of him. When used near Eagle monuments, the Option will carry Hiryu up and away to another area of the stage.

Gameplay Modes.
Strider has a traditional story mode with three initial difficulties (Easy, Normal, Hard.) and three unlockable difficulties.
Strider's Challenge Mode, Survival, has Hiryu facing different waves of enemies at increasing difficulties. (Think Devil May Cry's Bloody Palace.)
Beacon Run is Strider's speed-running mode.

Extras.
Strider has a Color Edit mode so you can customize Hiryu in multiple bright ass colors.
There's also Costume Unlocks. Like Strider Hien's costume.
There's also ranking/leaderboards!

strider-orbs.gif

Platform Differences
The Xbox 360/PS3 version runs at 720p/30fps.
The PC/Xbone/PS4 version runs at 1080p/60fps.

The Japanese release has a retail version that comes with digital copies of Strider 1 and 2. It also has a special edition that comes with a bunch of other stuff.

The physical PlayStation 3 version of the 2014 Strider, including all its extras: a custom "Strider" PS3 theme, a special video interview with the first game's director Kouichi Yotsui, and download codes for the "Game Archives" version of "Strider Hiryu 1&2.
"Special Box" - a storage box with cover artwork done by veteran Mega Man artist Ryuji Higurashi.
"Strider Hiryu Visual Chronicle" - An 80-pages artwork compilation including art pieces from Strider, Strider 2 and the new Strider, as well as unpublished material from the cancelled Famicom Strider. The cover art is done by the Capcom artist known as "Tamio" (たみお).
"Strider Hiryu Sound Chronicle" - A 3-CD soundtrack compilation of all three Strider games. The soundtrack for the first Strider includes the full fixed soundtrack extracted from the "Resale Version" (再販版) sound board, plus an unused track ("4Stage Start 3") from the Arcade and a bonus track with music from the Sharp X68000 port of the game. Cover art done by Tamio.
"Instruction Card & Sticker Set" - The stickers and instruction material used in the Arcade cabinets for the first Strider and Strider 2.
"Pocket Spread Clear File" - Includes the Special Box and Visual Chronicle cover artworks.
"Mask" - A crimson Hiryu-like facemask with the "Hi" kanji sewed on its side.
"Badge" - The chest badge with the red "Hi" kanji seen in Hiryu's new design. It comes with a writing from the game's art director, Sho Sakai.

The PC version comes with the Soundtrack and a digital artbook!

Wondering about the soundtrack? here's a Sampler.

Screens.

Here are some PS4 screens.

Here are some misc. screens that you may like.

ONbvAjm.jpg

5Jod5A8.jpg

World Map.
Kazakh_city_world_map.png

strider-st.gif

Hoping for a demo on PSN. They seemed to confirm one in a recent GameTrailers demo for XBL, but I haven't heard anything about PSN. I still don't trust DH, so I definitely need to play it first before throwing down cash on it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Horrible thread title ;) game looks good though.

Haven't looked at too much media outside of maxs doc. Map implies this game will be metroidvania?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hoping for a demo on PSN. They seemed to confirm one in a recent GameTrailers demo for XBL, but I haven't heard anything about PSN. I still don't trust DH, so I definitely need to play it first before throwing down cash on it.
There will be a demo available (at least for the PS4).
The version available today was a demo + full version unlock btw.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Personally, I'm glad the OT tagline is about the game, and not 1 feature on a single platform of a multi-play game that's going to be on nearly everything. GIFs make all OT's better, so cool deal, ha.

Lookin' forward to getting into this on Wed! I didn't DL the game on ONE, but I did pin it. So it's nice to occasionally go and watch a few videos recorded by those who DID download it, ha.

Amir0x

Banned
using those sprites for this game is sort of cruel :(

it was decent when I tried the demo at NYCC, but I'll wait for hands on impressions from GAFers before diving in

Ordered the JP PS3 version on Play-Asia. Would have liked to get the Special Edition, but that's pretty steep for something that I'd really only look at once or twice.

Can't wait for next week.!

border

I might pick this up just to have another game on my PS4.

But it's really hard to get excited about a Metroidvania. Double Helix did such a good job with Killer Instinct, I wish they had at least tried to make this a regular sidescrolling action game. I hate how the environments look so boring and similar. Strider was always about slashing dudes in crazy ridiculous settings (neo-Russia rooftops, dinosaur jungle, giant flying ships, etc).

Yes, I believe we should support Double Helix on this game and just for being a great developer period. I found out this will cost $15. Well worth asking price but I do not know how much replayability this will have down the road ala a SOTN.

Also, judging by what you wrote, this could be a great game for speedrunning, too. I'm excited, so let's see Double Helix deliver!

The Flash

Banned
Never played a Strider game before but I am very intrigued by this one. I'll probably pick it up after my next paycheck.

Xater

Played the PS4 demo from the Japanese store and it's fun. I will most likely get it.

Edit: It looks like the PS4 stuff got taken down from the Japanese SEN.

NIN90

Hmm is the game world one large area (SOTN's castle) or is it made up of smaller interconnected areas (Guacamelee and Dust: AET would be a recent examples)?

Raitaro

Very curious about this game since watching Maximilian's very cool promo documentary. The game simply looks awesome to be honest, and I'm hopeful that the game will deliver a good mix of Strider arcade action and Metroidvania / nes Strider exploration.

Bit bummed out though that we aren't getting that disc version with the classics...which might prompt me to order the Japanese release.

Can't wait to play this. Always wanted a Strider that modeled against the NES game template using more arcade-like style and action. This is pretty close from all indications.

nillapuddin

Play Time: 2:50:05
Completion: 26.1%

Costumes: 1/12

Cypher Upgrades: 3/6
Health: 6/10
Energy: 5/10

Gameplay is very fun and precise, not too many undeserved deaths, engaging platforming and exploration, yes enemy recycling, I feel challenged on each new area and as my character abilities are accumulated they do well for movement and attack tactics

Strange amount of jaggies in cutscenes on character close-ups though, game footage is very sharp though

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Demo was pretty fun. My only concern is how samey the environment looks, which isn't great for navigating without heavy reliance on the map. And I was too dumb to figure out how to pull up a fullscreen map. There is one, right?

Oh also I wish he didn't grunt so much, it's a really annoying sample. But I guess that's classic Strider.

Top Bottom