• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

bidguy

Banned
Play Time: 2:50:05
Completion: 26.1%

Costumes: 1/12

Cypher Upgrades: 3/6
Health: 6/10
Energy: 5/10

Gameplay is very fun and precise, not too many undeserved deaths, engaging platforming and exploration, yes enemy recycling, I feel challenged on each new area and as my character abilities are accumulated they do well for movement and attack tactics

Strange amount of jaggies in cutscenes on character close-ups though, game footage is very sharp though

what platform are you playing on

never played a single strider game and i absolutely hated him in MvC(cause i couldnt control his speed).

but day one on ps4. sidescroller....thats all they had to say.

strider.gif

I'm really excited for this game but not sure which platform to get it for. I love my PS4 but need some more games to play on my Xbox One.

iavi

Grimløck;100975340 said:
are the alt costumes dlc?

There is no DLC. Double Helix knew of the pending Amazon purchase and loaded everything they wanted to into the game proper--life as it should be.

Wonderful title name...

Havent played Strider in years, but after reading the OP title and saying schwing to myself, it took me back.

After KI3 I'm alot more optimistic about this game.
Cant wait to hear that lovely sound again, on my HD Tv/ Surround sound.

Does US get S1 and 2 along with the new game?

SegaShack

Havent played Strider in years, but after reading the OP title and saying schwing to myself, it took me back.

After KI3 I'm alot more optimistic about this game.
Cant wait to hear that lovely sound again, on my HD Tv/ Surround sound.

Does US get S1 and 2 along with the new game?

Only Japan gets the old Strider games.

TheOGB

Banned
Reading that title, seeing the last word and hearing the sound effect. Good shit OP.

Still hoping to hear more good things about this game. I pray this revival is a success!

Sanctuary

Already had this preordered from Gamefly since last week. Still wondering why there's not a single review.

Also, I keep reading various comments about how it's "very Metroidvania", when it's not actually supposed to be. It has stylings of that gameplay, but it's not exactly supposed to be Shadow Complex 2.0.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/about-strider-being-a-metroidvania

But if people are expecting, I don't know, Symphony of the Night with ninjas and robots, I think they should probably be managing their expectations a bit.

In a nutshell, the difference is that a Metroidvania places all of its emphasis on offering an interesting world to explore, with combat being a secondary consideration. In Strider, it's exactly the opposite.

The difference is apparent even in the way that the world is rendered. The worlds of Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night are richly realized, with areas like Norfair positively brimming with atmosphere. By comparison, Strider's Research Lab area primarily consists of a series of conveyor belts and laser barriers. It's an approach designed to put Strider, as well as foes like a giant mecha gorilla called Mechapon, at the forefront of the action, because they are the real stars, not the world around them.

It reminds me of the discussion about the "RPG elements" that have infused seemingly every game from Grand Theft Auto V to BioShock Infinite. You could say that Strider will likely have "Metroidvania elements," despite being more of an action platformer than anything else. It will have five areas to play through and plenty of powers to unlock, with some backtracking definitely being required, but the main focus is absolutely on the combat.

Wtf? Why can I not use the dpad? Analogue is kinda sensitive, so I sometimes attempt to do a slide and it doesn't work because I slightly tilted my analogue stick the wrong way. : /

Well that sucks. Bought the full game but I'm still locked to simply the demo. Hopefully that will be fixed once the game releases.

MormaPope

Banned
I get 720p for last gen consoles, but 30 FPS? I've seen recent footage and the only demanding thing graphically were the particle effects. Really puzzling to be honest.

So I've never played a Strider game, but this looks right up my alley. Worth it to look into playing the other games in the series or is this one significantly different?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Its too bad they dont have the PS4 version for preorder in Japan yet.

So just went and pre-ordered the PS3 physical copy instead. Plan to maybe get the PS4 physical also if released.

Top Bottom