• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Strong" female characters: This is not the representation we're looking for

pashmilla

Banned
Oh shit I procrastinated on uni essays by writing an essay about female representation in gaming instead whoops

here u go

Ah, that old magic phrase: “strong female characters”. We hear it a lot: reviewers lavish praise upon them; internet-goers create memes around them. Yet the strong female character is something of a mythical beast. What is she? What makes her strong, and who decides that? Why is she perceived as a good thing, and when did she become an acceptable substitute for writing complex and nuanced female characters?

But a good female character and a strong female character are not one and the same, despite what male game developers (and male gamers) might think, and it is this conflation of the two which, in part, leads to problematic representations of women in games (and fiction in general, but that’s a discussion for another day).

I’ll start with my first question: what is a strong female character? Opinions differ, but the most common interpretation is that a strong female character is one who is “badass”, who fights and kills as much and as well as any man. Since typing out “strong female character” every time is going to get long and confusing, I’ll refer to each interpretation by a name to make things simpler. So let’s call the “female badass” archetype Enyo, after the Greek goddess of war. Enyo is a complex issue, and in the medium of gaming especially, perhaps an unavoidable one; after all, the majority of games revolve around some form of combat or conflict, and if you’re going to have a playable female character, chances are she’s going to need to get her hands dirty. Enyo is not inherently problematic. I enjoy watching women kick ass and take names as much as anyone else (slay gurl, yas queen, etc., etc.). That scene in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children where Tifa pounds Loz into the dirt? Amazing. Flawless. She is a warrior goddess and I worship her. Quiet utterly destroying her would-be rapists in MGS:V? Brutal, violent, and so, so satisfying.

But to take Enyo, to point at her and say “look, a strong female character!” is problematic, because it subscribes to the toxically masculine ideal of violence as strength, when most of us would rather creators move away from patriarchal ideology.

Next let’s talk about what we’ll call Hestia, named for the Greek goddess of hearth and home: the (usually pure and virginal) woman who is non-combative but who has “inner strength”. Inner strength is an admirable quality to have: determination, resolve, compassion, intelligence, loyalty…. The problem does not lie with Hestia herself; it lies in the way game developers use and abuse her. She’s generally trotted out when developers realise they’ve fucked up on their female characters but don’t want to admit it. “Crap, she’s a passive damsel in distress who has to be rescued a bunch then dies for the hero’s manpain. Um, uh, well, SHE’S STRONG ON THE INSIDE! Yeah!” Sorry, but inner strength means nothing if we never actually see it.

The last of the “strong female character” archetypes I will discuss is one we’ll call Peitho, for the Greek goddess of persuasion and seduction. This is the “femme fatale”, who exerts power through sexuality. It’s important to note that sex-positivity is one of the key tenets of mainstream modern feminism, and that to have a sexual or seductive female character is not inherently bad. As always, presentation and execution is key.

the problem with Peitho arises when she is the be-all and end-all of a character, as she often is; and more glaringly, when game developers create a Peitho character who is rather obviously for the purpose of fanservice for the presumed straight male gamer.

the push for “strong female characters” continues. Why? Well, in part: most of these “strong female characters” are created by men. I have great respect for male creators who attempt to improve representation of women and minorities in their games, and I don’t doubt that they have the best of intentions; but despite their good intentions, their attempts to create “strong” female characters perpetuate the idea that having “strong” female characters is the pinnacle of representation, as opposed to having female characters who are diverse, complex, well-written and interesting.

tl;dr: don't write """strong""" women, write women the same way you write straight white dudes, i.e. as people

Discuss!

Platy

Why is she perceived as a good thing, and when did she become an acceptable substitute for writing complex and nuanced female characters?

Never.
It always mean strong in "strong character development" ...If devs are idiots, you can't blame people asking for better characters

Dark_castle

giphy.gif

Outrun

Interesting research.

When looking at male characters also, the concept of "strong" is also problematic.

OP, read "The Subversion of the Subject and the Dialectic of Desire" by Lacan, if you want to go into psychoanalytic theory.

dralla

Can't read since I'm at work but I always chuckle at the phrasing "strong female characters" because it makes no sense. What does it mean? Do people demand "strong male characters"?

SOLDIER

Tifa is cited as being an entertaining example, but the article fails to mention that she is also portrayed in a feminine light. More importantly, she's depicted as an actual person, tending to her bar, raising a child (and later two), and yes, sorting out her feelings for the main character.

She's not like other cliche "strong female characters" who put up an unfriendly demeanor or is otherwise the aggressive macho male lead, except it's a woman. It's not like the game is constantly saying "Look how strong I am fuck you I don't need no man (except I secretly do, *blush*).

Never.
It always mean strong in "strong character development" ...If devs are idiots, you can't blame people asking for better characters

That's what I refer to as well. Not every one with a gun I find strong. Sammus never speaks so I can't judge her character-wise. I'm blanking out with others probably because I've hardly played any games in the past several months.

Its also hilarious that people think straight white male characters aren't written as archetypes a lot of the time too.
That doesn't matter. Straight white male is the default and in the penultimate position of privilege (second only to rich straight white male). It's a difference between poorly written characters and poor representation. Straight white men don't have poor representation.

Jerry

Its also hilarious that people think straight white male characters aren't written as archetypes a lot of the time too.

Well put.

Can't read since I'm at work but I always chuckle at the phrasing "strong female characters" because it makes no sense. What does it mean? Do people demand "strong male characters"?

The mainstream, media consuming public vote for it with their wallets.

SOLDIER

You know what else makes a strong female character?

When the creator doesn't have to tell me that they are a strong female character.

I think one character many people will enjoy is Kat from Gravity Rush. Kat carries herself as extremely feminine but as the same time is far from a passive entity. She obviously is strong in a physical sense, but much of the game, especially the writing within sidequests are more of a slice-of-life, in how she handles situations she runs into from the mundane to the weird. The great thing is that it shows her personality from various aspects, something you don't see from many videogame characters because you get to look into her life as is, instead of during an adventure. Her being girly is never a negative, it is just who she is and is frequently shown as empathetic. Personality wise, she is my #1 female videogame protagonist.

Jerry

The post you quoted said "write women like real people" and you seemed to assert that's already the case and people with criticisms are barking up until wrong tree.

I guess language subtlety is beyond you.

It was a generalisation. As much of a generalisation as the post I quoted implying all straight white dudes are written as people.

pashmilla

Banned

It was a generalisation. As much of a generalisation as the post I quoted implying all straight white dudes are written as people.

Straight white dudes are MORE LIKELY to be written as people than women and minorities because they're perceived of as "default" and not "the other" who must be written in a certain way.

Mael

Read everything.
I'm actually sharing your text so that should tell you how good I think it is.
You could go farther than just games because that's really applicables to movies, books, etc...
Your list at the end diminishes the text I feel but you have Ash Dalmasca as the 1rst bullet point so it's ok.

Dark_castle

It's pretty bizarre that developers felt socially compelled to make "strong" female characters, and at the same time, nobody cares about writing a "strong" male character. It's like why single out women like that? Females are humans too, being "strong" doesn't really need to spelt out to reassure the audience that they're writing some female characters who are independant, strong-willed bla bla bla. I mean, write female characters just like you write male characters. If the female character is a housewife who is feminine, loves cooking and only takes care of her children, SO BE IT. She doesn't need to be written to be some kind of super woman or anything. Or say being a princess in a fantasy story. If the character is interesting, acts like a regular person, why worry if she is "strong" or not. It does not matter. I repeat, it does not matter. Being "strong" is a desirable trait, but not everyone is desirable and perfect like that, and that is fine. What is more important is developer having a clear sense of what type of character they want to fit in the story, and actually make a character with multi-dimensional personality and such.

Complex characters are scarce in videogames. Female leads being in such small numbers, it gets even worse. But I have hope, we're slowly making progress.

EDIT: I JUST READ YOUR LIST AND THERE'S NO KAT, THIS IS STRAIGHT UP KANGAROO COURT

LotusHD

Banned
I think one character many people will enjoy is Kat from Gravity Rush. Kat carries herself as extremely feminine but as the same time is far from a passive entity. She obviously is strong in a physical sense, but much of the game, especially the writing within sidequests are more of a slice-of-life, in how she handles situations she runs into from the mundane to the weird. The great thing is that it shows her personality from various aspects, something you don't see from many videogame characters because you get to look into her life as is, instead of during an adventure. Her being girly is never a negative, it is just who she is and is frequently shown as empathetic. Personality wise, she is my #1 female videogame protagonist.

She's currently #1 for me regardless of gender, such a great character.

Jerry

Straight white dudes are MORE LIKELY to be written as people than women and minorities because they're perceived of as "default" and not "the other" who must be written in a certain way.

Yes I know. I was making a point about how much he jumped down my throat at my original comment.

Astral Dog

Pretty good essay op.

Agree a "strong" woman might just mean one stereotype over the other. Lacking any substance at all.

We need more complexity,flaws,doubts,feelings,goals,etc.
Not every game can do this but more should try. Aloy from HZD looks great so far

Straight white dudes get to be everything. Women have to be pigeonholed into the "strong female character" type cuz their default of female characters is often forced actions with no characteristics. Creators think that this is what women want.

LotusHD

Banned
Straight white dudes get to be everything. Women have to be pigeonholed into the "strong female character" type cuz their default of female characters is often forced actions with no characteristics.

Pretty much. Couldn't but help roll my eyes over Tabata saying that about Luna repeatedly, and even then, everything pointed to it being the contrary.

Orayn

Yes I know. I was making a point about how much he jumped down my throat at my original comment.

I'll admit to being a little aggressive and that game writing in general is pretty lacking, even for straight white characters.

That said I still agree with the other responses to your previous post.

SOLDIER

The thing is Luna totally works in regards to her role in Final Fantasy XV. She didn't need to be a powerful mage or inhuman fighter, because not every female character is required to be treated as equally powerful (or more so) as the main male leads, because somehow that's "offensive".

The problem was the game's failure to care about Luna as a person. She has the same plot baggage as Yuna and Aerith, but without the humanizing moments to flesh her out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's pretty bizarre that developers felt socially compelled to make "strong" female characters, and at the same time, nobody cares about writing a "strong" male character. It's like why single out women like that?
You don't think they're writing "strong" male characters in the same way already? Seems to be the norm, really. Either that or they paint them as bumbling idiots.

She's currently #1 for me regardless of gender, such a great character.

For me she has to compete with Kazuma Kiryu, who is the complete opposite in everything. I'm sorry Kat, you sing well but you don't possess his karoake, dancing, business management, fishing, and taxi driving skills. Maybe in GR3.

Yeah, I think framing good female character writing as "female character must be super badass" has caused a lot of problems, because A) it causes a lot of writers to fall into the mindset of "if she can't beat up the bad guys, she isn't any good" and B) audiences and the press have bought into it in a lot of cases, so when a female character doesn't show those attributes, they might might shit on the writers for that, even though the whole point of the character is that they're not a fighter.

Here's a great example of strong character writing for a girl. It's from Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans. There's this girl named Atra, who's a cook for a mercenary company and used to be a maid in a brothel. Her dream for the future is to be a house wife and marry a dude who pilots a giant robot and only wants to be a farmer if he has to stop piloting the robot. During combat, she mostly hangs out on a ship or at their base, sometimes handing out food and doing first aid stuff if things are really bad. Nothing special, right? But during one arc in season 1, she deliberately lets herself get captured (and eventually beaten by grown men) so her friend, a super important VIP who's being targeted by a super corrupt organization, can get away, and in the final arc, she drives an APC through a battlefield to get to a political meeting because so many of the guys are dead, injured, or fighting, and the only reason she fails is because a giant robot almost lands on top of them.

If this character was created for a non-RPG game, I don't know if people/critics would care or if they'd just say nothing but "why couldn't she be the protagonist and be blowing shit up," when that's not the point of the character at all.

Somnid

Definitely agree. We need to also be working the other direction, not just masculinizing women but also feminizing men and everything in between. "Make them like us" mentalities are bad for diversity and it takes a hell of a lot more fortitude to say "let's be more like them!"

Great write up. Pretty much nailed it on the head about why the term and usage of the "Strong Female Character" is being misused and represented poorly in games. This not only applies to games but other forms of media as well. The tl;dr is a good summary because why do we have to create stereotypes for women or even men for that matter, when they should be written like actual people.

You don't think they're writing "strong" male characters in the same way already? Seems to be the norm, really. Either that or they paint them as bumbling idiots.

But even male characters being strong but also a bumbling idiot is a unique trait not a lot of female characters have.

SOLDIER

Kat and Raven have some of the best interactions and I just get giddy whenever both of them are on-screen.

It's to the point that I almost want to ship them, but that's another cliche regarding female characters that I feel is being seriously overdone.

Just because they're best friends doesn't mean they want to fuck each other by default.

Yeah, I think framing good female character writing as "female character must be super badass" has caused a lot of problems, because A) it causes a lot of writers to fall into the mindset of "if she can't beat up the bad guys, she isn't any good" and B) audiences and the press have bought into it in a lot of cases, so when a female character doesn't show those attributes, they might might shit on the writers for that, even though the whole point of the character is that they're not a fighter.

Here's a great example of strong character writing for a girl. It's from Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans. There's this girl named Atra, who's a cook for a mercenary company and used to be a maid in a brothel. Her dream for the future is to be a house wife and marry a dude who pilots a giant robot and only wants to be a farmer if he has to stop piloting the robot. During combat, she mostly hangs out on a ship or at their base, sometimes handing out food and doing first aid stuff if things are really bad. Nothing special, right? But during one arc in season 1, she deliberately lets herself get captured (and eventually beaten by grown men) so her friend, a super important VIP who's being targeted by a super corrupt organization, can get away, and in the final arc, she drives an APC through a battlefield to get to a political meeting because so many of the guys are dead, injured, or fighting, and the only reason she fails is because a giant robot almost lands on top of them.

If this character was created for a non-RPG game, I don't know if people/critics would care or if they'd just say nothing but "why couldn't she be the protagonist and be blowing shit up," when that's not the point of the character at all.
The thing is, is she the only female character in the show? It wouldn't be looked at as a problem if there were other female characters with different goals than her.

Top Bottom