• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Strong" female characters: This is not the representation we're looking for

Strong Female characters are usually the worst. They're boring, and wooden badasses that need no man. They aren't people. They're the male version of an generic action hero.

Butthurt that there was no praise for Aeris in this piece, since in my mind she's a paragon of feminist ideals manifest in a single character. Tifa is complex and can beat a dude's shit in at the same time, which is awesome, but no one asserts herself and calls out sexist bullshit as consistently and wonderfully as Aeris did (while also being an OP powerhouse who can legit break the game).

But that's irrelevant.

This is probably the most important paragraph in this piece, IMO:

And despite this, the push for ”strong female characters" continues. Why? Well, in part: most of these ”strong female characters" are created by men. I have great respect for male creators who attempt to improve representation of women and minorities in their games, and I don't doubt that they have the best of intentions; but despite their good intentions, their attempts to create ”strong" female characters perpetuate the idea that having ”strong" female characters is the pinnacle of representation, as opposed to having female characters who are diverse, complex, well-written and interesting.

The fact of the matter is that women and men experience the world differently. And with a lack of women in the room during development, there aren't enough voices (or any, since sexism is so rampant and the women who are there won't want to risk their jobs by speaking up) present to say, "Hey, uh... Women don't think/talk/act like this." Since the golden rule of writing is, "Write what you know," men write women as they perceive them to be most of the time, which isn't necessarily reflective of how women actually are.

Even well-meaning men get this wrong sometimes. For as awesome as George R. R. Martin is, there are plenty of times in ASOIAF where I find myself reading a female character chapter and get smacked with the, "holy crap this was written by a man" sensation.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
Didn't Rhianna Pratchet say that most game scripts/stories are basically designed to string together the protagonist's journey from one level/set piece to the next, way after development of those assets are done? I don't think you could write a good story or good characters in that kind of process. You'd need to come up with the script and the assets simultaneously and let them influence each other, which is what RPG devs tend to do (well, maybe not Bethesda).
I've certainly heard about this way of developing games before. I remember Naughty Dog developing Uncharted 3 that way (to its detriment). I guess that is why we still see the best developed characters in RPG's with few exceptions.

It's probably over-compensation. Female game characters have traditionally been so weak that to avoid the stereotype, they are now being written to be "strong" though that is poorly defined and executed. Even white male main characters who have been around since the beginning are usually of the "strong" stereotype.

Hell Blade's protagonist is female and suffering from some kind of mental illness, so more realistic and flawed female characters are being attempted by some developers.

It seems like the industry is taking baby steps towards more diversity and variety in characters and stories.

pashmilla

Banned
Excellent and very informative writeup. It really helps a lot to put names to these archetypes, to be able to identify their use and also overuse.

I admit I raised an eyebrow at the mention of Aqua as one of your favorite female characters. I played through Birth By Sleep and I couldn't tell you much about Aqua beyond "has blue hair". Granted, pretty much every Kingdom Hearts character has about as much characterization as the average potato, but is there something I'm missing?

Aqua is kind of the Hestia archetype personified: she's brave, and loyal, and courageous and kind, she's willing to sacrifice everything for her friends. But this is also a drawback - she overlooks Terra's descent into darkness until it's too late, because she wants to believe the best of him. Over the course of the game she becomes less idealistic and naive due to the traumatic shit she goes through, but she never loses her compassion and kindness. She's amazing ♥

shandy706

I really enjoyed the female characters in Uncharted 4. I really, REALLY, hope we get to play as Nate and Elana's daughter too!

I'm hoping that Aloy is awesome and well written/developed, can't wait to start Horizon tomorrow.

Chance

Can't read since I'm at work but I always chuckle at the phrasing "strong female characters" because it makes no sense. What does it mean? Do people demand "strong male characters"?

To me it means a female character with all the depth and relateable humanity as (well constructed) male characters. See: Trish in TLoU, Mae in Night in the Woods, Gwendolyn in Odin Sphere.

Basically a female character who has actual character (Tiny Tina) as opposed to existing largely as a two-dimensional prop (the female lead in DmC: Devil May Cry).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sometimes it can but the whole ludonarrative dissonance thing shouldn't stop you from writing a complex character. Obviously in a perfect situation you'd want the gameplay creators and story creators to work together and find a middle that suits both interest.
I suspect mass market needs, focus testing and various other realities play a role though. Writing a complex character that still works in a game seems to be very difficult work and not something everyone could accomplish. I feel like these arugements don't always take into account the reality of creating these massive games. What you're asking for would be great in an ideal situation, at least, but it's a tall order.

I really enjoyed the female characters in Uncharted 4. I really, REALLY, hope we get to play as Nate and Elana's daughter too!

I'm hoping that Aloy is awesome and well written/developed, can't wait to start Horizon tomorrow.
If the reviews are to be believed, Aloy is a very well rounded character.

SOLDIER

This. Like there's this one character in the Berserk manga that is by far one of the most cowardly characters I've ever come across, but at the same time, that's what makes her interesting.

But yea, I think the issue for some people is when you have only like one or two prominent female characters. So it's like, what personality or attributes they have, if they aren't "strong" in the traditional sense, then people get all in a tizzy over them, when it may not always be warranted. Whereas if you have a bunch more, and they all have varying personalities and traits, then people will find it much harder to be pressed over it.

This is why I prefer Sansa over Arya in Game of Thrones.

Before you come down on me for speaking such sacriledge, the reason is simple: once Arya started learning her revenge techniques, including...

skin-changing, stabbing people in their sleep, and other fantasy assassin techniques

I stopped worrying about her.

Whereas with Sansa, 99% of every interaction she has with people feels like one false move can lead to her demise, or worse. It's like her whole life is a dialog choice where the wrong prompt instantly leads to Bad End.

I find that far more interesting than the "Muh Revenge" character, even though I do think Arya is also rad.

Burbeting

Banned
I mostly agree with your article, but I don't really consider Aqua being a very strong female character. She is pretty good in Kingdom Hearts standards, but I didn't feel like she had much personality at all, and ended up being more of a bland state who was just cleaning the mess left by the other protagonists. Her main chacteristic seemed to just be "I need to protect my friends", which is not enough for an interesting female character with actual personality. 0.2 didn't really help on this regard, as almost all of her dialogue was very bland. I don't know, maybe it's the voice acting. Agreed on the other picks though, and nice on pointing out what things make Chloe Frazer work.

Mawile

Banned
They don't sell quite as well though without straight white males as lead.

Almost every AAA franchises from the Japanese developers are white male centric. Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, metal gear solid, Zelda etc.

I personally think there's a strong perceived bias for it where everyone is receptive to straight white males leads but that said group is only mostly receptive to seeing themselves on screen. And I have no idea when that will change.

In fact, I think it's only getting stronger with the current rise of nationalism across western nations.

I think the issue is is not that it's drastically less popular, it's that we haven't had really solid main character designs that are Black per se that are also in a well designed game. I'm sure if more good games had people of other races as the lead while that character's design being something memorable, people would like it. Not ignoring racism isn't in the world, but I still feel this way.

jackal27

Banned
Great write-up. When I use the phrase "strong female character", what I usually mean is a Strong Character in the sense that they're written well, are well-rounded, have a nice arc if necessary, are relatable, etc. You know, not strong in combat prowess or ability necessarily, but in actual character.

A "strong female character" can be a very strong person, a very weak person, a benevolent person, a selfish person, good, evil, small, large, rich, poor, whatever.

I think too many people take the term to mean "She can murder real good!", especially in video games where our favorite form of interacting with these virtual worlds is usually murdering something.

yunbuns

Excellent and very informative writeup. It really helps a lot to put names to these archetypes, to be able to identify their use and also overuse.

I admit I raised an eyebrow at the mention of Aqua as one of your favorite female characters. I played through Birth By Sleep and I couldn't tell you much about Aqua beyond "has blue hair". Granted, pretty much every Kingdom Hearts character has about as much characterization as the average potato, but is there something I'm missing?

You aren't missing anything. .2 manages to make her a little less dull than she was in BBS but that's it. She's probably the best female character in KH but that's not really saying much.

This is eye-opening to me because, for all the time I've spent discussing female characters and feminist character representation, it was never apparent to me that people have been using "strong female character" to represent some kind of badass or power fantasy.

I come from a writing/film background and "strong characters" have to do with the strength of the writing. What you are describing (characters with depth and nuance) are exactly what I thought everybody on this green earth was talking about when they referred to "strong female characters."

So, on one hand, the thesis of your essay seems extremely obvious and unnecessary to me. My initial reaction is that nobody could possibly be misconstruing the notion of a strong character as you described. Then I started reading the comments in this thread and maybe I'm the one who has been wrong all this time. How many people have I been arguing against who had a completely and totally different understanding of a codified and commonplace literary term?

The misunderstanding you're describing to me makes about as much sense as somebody saying a "strong supporting character" is a character that provides great financial support to another one or is always there for the main character emotionally. It's such a literal misunderstanding of what a "strong female character" is supposed to mean.

And as much as I loved the Hark, a Vagrant comic about "sexism being over", it never occurred to me that it was in response to this misunderstanding. I thought it was in response to disingenuous and insincere writing exemplified by characters like Quiet.

Man. So many people's stubborn insistence that their favorite anime has a "strong female character" because they have a giant sword or something makes so much more sense to me now.

I am in disbelief.

There's an unfortunately high disconnect when it comes to the understanding of such terminology, both between academia and laymen, but also across differing mediums. Younger, more visual mediums - video games and comic books especially - have tended more towards falling into the trap of the literal interpretation, and even where they attempt to apply nuance, often do so from that starting base. This where you get stuff like the debate over the reboot of Lara Croft and the wider Tomb Raider series, both in terms of feminist readings but also general fan reaction. The first game got a lot of flak before it was even out for making Lara appear 'weak', lacking a great deal of confidence, being depicted in peril, and getting beaten up a fair bit - at odds with being a literally strong female character as she had been depicted prior. Rise of the Tomb Raider however also saw a fair bit of questioning over Lara's willingness to kill and seeming brutality in the game prior to release, indicating a fear among some that she was leaning too much into being a literal strong female character of a different variety, one which they did not like.

Both of these criticisms are rooted mainly in the literal interpretation, but I imagine were more motivated by the idea of 'strong female character' as a standard of writing quality more than anything, and an uncertainty on how to qualify that, especially with Lara being an icon in the industry. The actual consistency or quality of the writing was much less in question than the basic behaviour on display.

Before you come down on me for speaking such sacriledge, the reason is simple: once Arya started learning her revenge techniques, including...

skin-changing, stabbing people in their sleep, and other fantasy assassin techniques

Whereas with Sansa, 99% of every interaction she has with people feels like one false move can lead to her demise, or worse. It's like her whole life is a dialog choice where the wrong prompt instantly leads to Bad End.

I find that far more interesting than the "Muh Revenge" character, even though I do think Arya is also rad.

#SansaStarkProtectionSquad represent.

Jennipeg

Its interesting talking about female characters on a deeper level. I'm wondering if motherhood has ever really factored into gaming characters? I honestly can't think of a mother as the main character of a game. I wonder what that relationship would do to a woman's motivations in a bombastic AAA title.

I'm the same, I have often yelled at the page when reading Sansa, but her reactions make perfect sense to her as a person, same with Catelyn, I think she is the strongest woman in the series and never lifts a sword. She also makes a terrible mistake in the first book.

I agree with pretty much everything that was said, except for this part

But to take Enyo, to point at her and say ”look, a strong female character!" is problematic, because it subscribes to the toxically masculine ideal of violence as strength, when most of us would rather creators move away from patriarchal ideology.

The idea that physical strength being seen as admirable is only a symptom of toxic masculinity seems incredibly reductive. You can't go on and list different ways a character can be seen as strong, yet arbitrarily consider one form (physical) as on a lower tier. That seems almost like a weird, I dunno, matriarchal ideology?

Like you said, strength can manifest in a variety of forms, and it all comes down to execution, but you seem to be saying that this form of strength is inherently masculine and, as a result, toxic.

Aizo

Banned
I don't know if you wrote about it in your article, but my friend who is a feminist and writer really loves Ripley (Alien film) for being literally a character that was written as a male. I don't know the full story, but I was told that they wrote the main character as a man, although they later decided, after everything, to have the character played by a woman.

Don't take this the wrong way, but since you wrote this for college, punctuation goes inside quotation marks.

Otherwise, it seems well written. I'll finish it later and give feedback on the content then.

Reedirect

"Strong female characters are like teen sex. Everyone wants to do them, nobody really knows how. And when it's finally done, it's a surprise it wasn't better."

Good article.

Its interesting talking about female characters on a deeper level. I'm wondering if motherhood has ever really factored into gaming characters? I honestly can't think of a mother as the main character of a game. I wonder what that relationship would do to a woman's motivations in a bombastic AAA title.

There was that one indie game where you played a mother that can turn into a wolf. I don't think it was good though.

samred

Reminds me of the exploitation-related rise of "strong" black characters in comics and films of the '70s, which ultimately fed into even more one-dimensional African-American representation in media. Here's an admittedly brief/quick look at the issue revolving around the 2013 Oscars: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/m...-are-still-too-good-too-bad-or-invisible.html ... not same exact thing but certainly similar origin of "when people other than who's being represented are doing all the writing, this is what happens"

Platy

Sometimes I don't even need strong women .... I juyt need diversity.

Like if there is a hot woman who likes to dress sexy, make one ugly who also wants to dress sexy and a hot woman who dress pratical

I don't know if you wrote about it in your article, but my friend who is a feminist and writer really loves Ripley (Alien film) for being literally a character that was written as a male. I don't know the full story, but I was told that they wrote the main character as a man, although they later decided, after everything, to have the character played by a woman.

I believe the script was written without indicating the gender of Ripley and most other characters. They were cast indiscriminate of gender - which is how we got Ripley. In screenwriting, sometimes people write their scripts "like Alien" and write characters without considering their gender or what they look like. This helps them stay away from common literary traps and helps them write equally strong characters regardless of their normative gender qualities.

JulianImp

I agree that flat character archetypes aren't the way forward, but with both the general audience and the developers being mostly male, it isn't that strange for female characters to be written by perpetuating archetypes rather than coming up with more unique interpretations.

Also, the female character being "strong" or having lots of agency doesn't make her a good character since whether it's good or bad writing often depends on the kind of story the work might want to convey. Bioshock 1 shocked many people with its plot twist, and that relied on a moment of extreme powerlessness that still felt amazing.

Writing female characters that could easily be replaced by male characters without the script changing at all sounds like a bad idea to me, but at the same time writing female characters that feel female is threading a thin line, because it takes skill and tact to write them well and avoid just relying on looking up a list of female character stereotypes and building them with that as your sole reference, and is pretty hard to do when the majority of people working on games is still male.

Arioch in Drakengard 1 wasn't the main character, but she was playable in your party as a main character. She was a mom... but uh... lmao... Maybe not the best representation of one.

Don't get me wrong, Arioch is actually my favorite character in that game, but in terms of "representing motherhood" um.

dracula_x

99% of AAA developers don't know how to write a complex person, period. They believe men should be "badass' as much as they believe women should be 'strong'.
They are aiming at the lowest common denominator.

You think it's only gamedev related?

I would say 99.9% of all people in the world don't know how to write a complex person.

damolii

Neo Member
Argument aside, am I the only one slightly irritated she spoiled
the fact that Lunafreya dies
from FFXV? I know the game released a few months, but there are some of us who can't play a game within 6 months of its release :(

rataven

Good write-up. While it's certainly not true everywhere though, I feel as though most instances of the 'strong female character' discussion I've had have generally been a shorthand way of saying 'multi-faceted female character with depth and agency' or even just to define a woman who bucks the standard trends. Not necessarily 'strong' in the very definition of the word.

OP it's not just video games that suffer from this. Games are the worst when it comes to this subject but comics and movie have had this exact same problem that still happens occasionally. Unlike games they have taken large steps in trying to get better.

You think it's only gamedev related?

I would say 99.9% of all people in the world don't know how to write a complex person.
Do you not read books? Cuz that is very false.

Fuck, I remember seeing this horror game about a mom who lives in Scandinavia and has to go find in son while dodging weird Norse inspired monsters, but I don't know the name. It's in the Super Best Friends Shitstorm V (which is all horror games). Here's a compilation that's 2 hours long, so if you scrub through it, you should find it.

jackal27

Banned
This is eye-opening to me because, for all the time I've spent discussing female characters and feminist character representation, it was never apparent to me that people have been using "strong female character" to represent some kind of badass or power fantasy.

I come from a writing/film background and "strong characters" have to do with the strength of the writing. What you are describing (characters with depth and nuance) are exactly what I thought everybody on this green earth was talking about when they referred to "strong female characters." It never crossed my mind that such an ordinary concept left any room for misinterpretation.

So, at first, I thought the thesis of your essay seems extremely obvious and unnecessary. I thought nobody could possibly be misconstruing the notion of a strong character as you described. Then I started reading the comments in this thread and maybe I'm the one who has been wrong all this time. How many people have I been arguing against who had a completely and totally different understanding of a codified and commonplace literary term? How many people have been writing bad female characters but making them a mech pilot or something and thinking they were answering appropriately to their critics?

The misunderstanding you're describing to me makes about as much sense as somebody saying a "strong supporting character" is a character that provides great financial support to another one or is always there for the main character emotionally. It's such a literal misunderstanding of what a "strong female character" is supposed to mean.

And as much as I loved the Hark, a Vagrant comic about "sexism being over", it never occurred to me that it was in response to this misunderstanding. I thought it was in response to disingenuous and insincere writing exemplified by characters like Quiet.

Man. So many people's stubborn insistence that their favorite anime has a "strong female character" because they have a giant sword or something makes so much more sense to me now.

I am in disbelief. I guess I am grateful for your essay for giving me the perspective I was lacking on the other side of a conversation I have almost every day.

Basically exactly my reply, but much better. I really need to stretch my writing legs again haha.

Bladelaw

Oranging so I can read when I'm off work.

Quick thoughts based on the TL;DR and summary
You pretty much nailed the archetypes. I'm curious if the article goes into some good and bad examples of each. As you note there's nothing inherently wrong with any of them but man can they be done poorly.

Curious was there a particular event that inspired the article or was this just something that needed to be said sooner rather than later? I really enjoyed the FFXV analysis.

Abelard

Naughty God's stay winning.

Great Essay! I agree with what you have said, and I think one think gaming could use more of is Hestias in the form of Mother figures, dadification is real but gaming surprisingly lacks a lot of good mother characters.

I agree so much. Please respect women and don't act like a good representation of them in games is "strong".

Again I'll repeat (maybe people will understand one day), the best representation of any gender, any minorities is the one where you respect them. And for me, since I don't think gaming industry is racist, it begins with designers choices.
And yes I can respect "strong" female characters choices too if it fits and if it's not like "we wanted to put a male with lots of weapons and muscles and since we're inclusive we changed the sex and defined the female character as strong"

A women can be represented as sexy and have nothing insulting there. Same for strong of course but since it seems to be standardized as "good female representation equals strong female character" I find it at least useless and stupid if not insulting too.

That's why Bayonetta was for me a good female character despite being super sexy.
She is both strong and sexy to me <3

Maybe each have its own definition of "strong" woman but for me it's a woman that can make her own decisions and choices.
If you want to take care of your kids you're as strong as an Entrepreneur imo. The most important thing is that all this has to be your choice and sadly society still makes some decisions to be very difficult to make for some women.

petran79

Banned
This is why Athena, except wisdom, is also the goddess of military strategy. Not so common in video games. Ares and Enyo are the gods of carnage, bloodshed and brute force.

Though do not ask what SNK made of Athena....

I've always been conflicted about both the "strong female" approach and the "real person" approach.

Who defines what "real person" means?

So if a female character is written to be weak, dumb, or useless in any way, why is that such a bad thing? There are women like that in the world.

Just like there are men that are exactly the same.

The "strong female" concept exists because people take offense if you write a women that isn't commanding, independent, and able to completely take care of herself in every possible way.

People tend to get very angry if you don't write every female character in this way.

Men can be written as absolute trash, which is also fine, but no one really cares.

I understand that the argument is that males tend to be heroes in media and women are the victims. Or the ones that need saving.

Well, there is a reason we are naturally inclined to gravitate towards the idea the the man is dominant. Especially in video games where physicality often takes such an important role. You can create any kind of world where the rules may be different, but our natural response is to create based on what we are as a species.

It's biology, or physiology, or evolution. Whatever you want.

Games in particular have had male heroes, because as a species, male humans are physically superior to female humans. That's not something that can be argued or changed.

That's kind of a random tangent though.

dracula_x

OP it's not just video games that suffer from this. Games are the worst when it comes to this subject but comics and movie have had this exact same problem that still happens occasionally. Unlike games they have taken large steps in trying to get better.

Do you not read books? Cuz that is very false.

I read a lot of books. Same issue with characters in most of them.

pashmilla

Banned
Don't take this the wrong way, but since you wrote this for college, punctuation goes inside quotation marks.

Otherwise, it seems well written. I'll finish it later and give feedback on the content then.

It's not written for college, it's written while procrastinating on uni work. Also in British English they go outside :)

rackham

Banned
Final Fantasy females are neither strong or good. They're made to be pretty. Personality and character arcs aren't even of secondary importance to them. The same can be said for most male FF protagonists but not all.

I'm still scared about Arya, especially about her "soul." She might make it out the series alive but I'm concerned what all this violence will have on her psyche when it's all over. They're both fantastically written characters in the books though. Also, the fact that she is becoming more "badass" is precisely why I'm more afraid about her well being. The books have shown time and time again that being more "badass" is not a good thing and will often get you killed.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Curious as to why you'd pick Ashe over Fran.

I think Fran has a much better character arc a la the visit to the Viera village than Ashe does throughout most of the game.

Top Bottom