• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Bought some frames for my extensive collection (going for quality instead of quantity :p)
13584012_1583155821981785_1220169235_n.jpg

Skenet is a neofolk instrumental band, sounds kinda like the more actiony part os The Witcher 3 soundtrack. Ghost and Ahab are the centerpieces which I started buying, both the cover art and the actual songs on those records are worth every little penny. Arch Enemy I just bought on a whim, it's good, but nothing more...

very cool. Ikea GLADSAX? I have like 10 at this point but I wanna have them solid and evenly spaced before putting them up. What are you using to hang them?

CRS

Bought some frames for my extensive collection (going for quality instead of quantity :p)
13584012_1583155821981785_1220169235_n.jpg

Skenet is a neofolk instrumental band, sounds kinda like the more actiony part os The Witcher 3 soundtrack. Ghost and Ahab are the centerpieces which I started buying, both the cover art and the actual songs on those records are worth every little penny. Arch Enemy I just bought on a whim, it's good, but nothing more...
My OCD is twitching right now.

obin_gam

very cool. Ikea GLADSAX? I have like 10 at this point but I wanna have them solid and evenly spaced before putting them up. What are you using to hang them?
Yep, gladsax is the shit! I just used ordinary concrete wall hooks, these babies
and put them 70cm down from the ceiling and 40cm between the hooks

My OCD is twitching right now.

I know lol, to get them 100% same on the wall I would have to buy a spiritlevel, and I didn't really care that much. I just used a yardstick :p

pablito

Yay

Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered. Signed version. Took forever lol.
Swans - The Glowing Man
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Let Love In
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

g678EQS.png

It's been a big week for my Jack White and Bob Dylan collections.

Dylan's Fallen Angels, Barnes and Noble blue exclusive:

Dylan's World Gone Wrong, which use to be VERY hard to find, this is the first repressing besides a small run in the early 90s in Holland:

Jack White's Live at Third Man Records, this is an older Vault package I bought for a very reasonable $80. My first vinyl on split coloured vinyl:

Jack White's Acoustic Tour 2015, the latest Vault package:

For the first time since I joined part way through 2014 I cancelled my Vault subscription since I'm not a huge Pearl Jam fan. But I used the money I would have spent on that package to buy one I missed the first Live at the Gold Dollar, which is the first two White Stripes concerts. Who knows when that'll get here, since Canada Post is getting locked out as of Monday....

Spwn

MPJLKCll.jpg

After getting my Ulver collection to a point where completing it would require significant amounts of money for single records, I apparently needed another artist whose music to collect.

Got back into Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson stuff big time after years of dismissing Wilson's releases after Insurgentes. Yes, it has been that long, but after I decided to buy Hand. Cannot. Erase. two months ago and loved it, I just had to get stuff I had missed (and stuff I already had in CD form). So Wilson's solo stuff has been totally new to me and I never had PT's The Incident or Recordings.

Also grabbed The Delirium Years box set since The Sky Moves Sideways and Signify are some of my favorite PT albums, but they're out of print. A good value set since it includes a bonus EP as well as Coma Divine, which I never grabbed back in the day.

This isn't all. I already have Wilson's Grace For Drowning and PT's In Absentia LP's coming from Burning Shed.

Here's the aforementioned Ulver collection. The important ones I'm missing from it are Quick Fix For Melancholy EP and Shadows of the Sun and I don't see them finding their way into the collection unless they get re-released.

LSdcbgJl.jpg

Nothing rare since the first three albums, War of the Roses (white vinyl) and Perdition City (purple vinyl) are the 2016 reissues. ATGCLVLSSCAP may be the rarest one here since it's the one on red vinyl, which was only available straight from House of Mythology. Theme's From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell is the true treasure for me, though. Nothing has so far surpassed it as my favorite album of all time.

BenN

Here's the aforementioned Ulver collection. The important ones I'm missing from it are Quick Fix For Melancholy EP and Shadows of the Sun and I don't see them finding their way into the collection unless they get re-released.

Nothing rare since the first three albums, War of the Roses (white vinyl) and Perdition City (purple vinyl) are the 2016 reissues. ATGCLVLSSCAP may be the rarest one here since it's the one on red vinyl, which was only available straight from House of Mythology. Theme's From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell is the true treasure for me, though. Nothing has so far surpassed it as my favorite album of all time.

You are also missing the vinyl release of "Silence Teaches You How To Sing / Silencing The Singing" which is also worth getting/is important (imo).

(and if you want to be really complete, the 2 film soundtrack vinyl releases and maybe childhoods end!)

Spwn

You are also missing the vinyl release of "Silence Teaches You How To Sing / Silencing The Singing" which is also worth getting/is important (imo).

(and if you want to be really complete, the 2 film soundtrack vinyl releases and maybe childhoods end!)

Yeah, I have all that stuff on CD releases, but those are stuff I never ever listen apart from maybe the Svidd Neger soundtrack. Would be getting those just for the sake of collecting and that isn't something I want to do. Records are for listening.

Yeah, I have all that stuff on CD releases, but those are stuff I never ever listen apart from maybe the Svidd Neger soundtrack. Would be getting those just for the sake of collecting and that isn't something I want to do. Records are for listening.

Great ulver collection. One of my favourite bands.

pablito

Very nice. I have the first 3 and Perdition City myself. Just received La Masquerade Infernale recently too. Big fan of Garm.

I want to believe, but Blood Music said that a Sham Mirrors repress would never happen. One of my all time favorite albums. Might jump at the next ridiculous price I see lol.

edit: I'll forever be disappointed in myself for not getting the Messe leatherbound thingy. I think it was like 80 bucks. I passed on it and from what I can remember my reasoning was "eh I don't want it." Stupid, stupid.

Don't want to double post so I'll put these here.

Boris - Pink 10th anniversary and Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I wonder what version of the record they'll be using for this reissue. The Modular pressing is missing a few samples that the XL version has and vice/versa. I know it's an XL Recordings product, but I'd be interested to know if they still can release the record as is or if it'll be complete this time.

Someone traded in a 1200 album collection to a local shop. They have barely begun to scratch the surface of putting it out, but my favorite find from that collection is an original pressing of This is Spinal Tap.

TheRealGrampa

Neo Member
Figured this would be the best thread to post this in.
Has anyone had issues with the official discog app? Spent an hour earlier scanning in some of my records for my collection, only to log onto my profile on my PC for it to be missing half of them, yet they are still showing in my collection on the app?

Spwn

Figured this would be the best thread to post this in.
Has anyone had issues with the official discog app? Spent an hour earlier scanning in some of my records for my collection, only to log onto my profile on my PC for it to be missing half of them, yet they are still showing in my collection on the app?

Did you try pressing the sync button on the app's home screen?

wenis

damn, Stone's Throw or whoever is gonna milk the shit out of his catalog....that said, i dig the posters!

Going to wait and see what the pressing is like on these. I heard a remaster not too long ago and wasn't super impressed, but it's also really tough to find hip.hop records that have been given a proper remaster and pressing job.

IrishNinja

Going to wait and see what the pressing is like on these. I heard a remaster not too long ago and wasn't super impressed, but it's also really tough to find hip.hop records that have been given a proper remaster and pressing job.

yeah...honestly i got MM food and madvillain, this was next on my list for DOOM but i got other stuff way higher up

also: i know others weren't big fans, but i really wish Lauryn Hill's Unplugged saw a vinyl release

hawk2025

New setup is finally ready:

md6G8S5.jpg

Not happy with the boxset organization yet, though, and the corner shelves didn't quite work out as planned, so it remains a work in progress! Wiring for proper speakers is also pending.

hawk2025

Nice! I love the Nornas shelves, how do you feel about putting so much weight on those feet? Since there's no finish have you considered painting or staining? Also I spot Wilco's Kicking Television boxset, kudos!

I added significant support below to deal with the weight, you can't see on the picture but it's down there!

It would definitely have been a little too much weight without it, so I figured better safe than sorry. :)

I was definitely considering painting it (still might, tbh), but once I actually went to the store it seemed to be an oddly good fit that added a bit of a rustic tone to the rest of the room. I like it for now.

Kicking Television is love <3

hawk2025

What shelving unit is that in the corner?

Also from IKEA, I forgot what it's called. It's 100% modular, so you can buy the selves, sides, etc and make a corner unit like this. I also used some extra support and attached it to the wall to make it sturdy.

Total to get it to look like that was $80 or so IIRC.

Also from IKEA, I forgot what it's called. It's 100% modular, so you can buy the selves, sides, etc and make a corner unit like this. I also used some extra support and attached it to the wall to make it sturdy.

Total to get it to look like that was $80 or so IIRC.

Are you sure it is from IKEA? Looks like Lundia with corner plates to me?

wenis

Alright, I've had this table for about four years now. It's served me well, but I'm getting itchy about some upgrades. Budget wise I don't think I can quite do a whole new table purchase (as fun as that would be) so I'm looking at a new cart, possibly upgrading to an acrylic platter w/ speedbox and replacing my Onkyo TX-8255.

As far as a new Cartridge goes I've been eyeing both a 2m Red or Blue. After scouring online for quite awhile (I've been needling this purchase for the last few months now) a lot of sources have said that it isn't as great a leap going from my current cart (OM5e) to the Red. So that got me looking at the Blue. As far as looking at the Blue went you get a whole other crowd going on that the Bronze would be the real upgrade path to go down towards. So now I'm looking at a $400 purchase? Dunno about that one, it's possible, but man. WHEW.

Moving onto the platter I've been using a cork mat on my current metal platter for the last 4-5 months now. I like it quite a bit coming off of the felt mats. I've noticed a lot less static build up and in general a much more stable sound quality coming from my records. It's great! the mat I mean. Totally happy with it, but there's something about that acrylic platter that really has it's hooks in me. Maybe it's the aesthetic choice in it or that there would be no need for any sort of mat anymore and I could retire all my mats completely after that purchase.

The speedbox just seems like a smart choice. right?

As for a new receiver I'm about 85% certain I want to purchase a Marantz PM6005. Although I did consider that I wouldn't be able to connect a subwoofer to this as well, but that price seems good (for a used one it's even cheaper and includes a full year warranty). Though a sub would be nice. My Audioengine P4's are great speakers and ever since my parents purchased me a measurement system and needle weight machine I have it resting just ever so slightly a bit more heavier than normal and have gotten deeper bass out of the records.

My budget is flexible, but it's not crazy good. I've got a couple $50 amazon giftcards stashed away from my birthday earlier in the year so that'll offset some costs.

I basically just need more internet opinions because what else! :D

Anyone familiar with Seattle record stores? I'll be venturing down there (from the BC interior) on Labour Day weekend for the two Wilco concerts. I want to hit up as many record stores as I can in my 48 hours, so I've tried to plan out record stores that have other stores within walking distance.

Singles Going Steady + Holy Cow Records (both are within walking distance of my hotel)
Everyday Music + Zions Gate
Sonic Boom Records + Bop Street

Anything vital I'm missing??

Wall of Sound is right next to Zions Gate. I go mainly for the great (but small) collection of Jazz/Soul/Folk/Gospel. Their main focus is in rock/experimental artists, most of which are artists I've either never heard of nor listened to frequently. I've been really satisfied with nearly every record I've purchased there, even the 'blind' ones from artists/records I've never heard of.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Everyday Music isn't really worth your time. The "just in" bins are fun to do through occasionally, but everything's jacked up to silly prices these days.

Wall of Sound is essential. Bop Street is awesome too, albeit expensive - in this case, their selection and staff actually validate the cost. Jive Time over in Fremont is great if you're going to be up that way. Silver Platters in SoDo is one of my usual stops even if it's not as good as it used to be. Huge place and interesting selection (way more variety than Sonic Boom or Easy Street) but I'm not crazy about the way they organize.

Twin Peaks Death Waltz reissue
While I wish it was in standard black I've been waiting so long for this- absolutely LOVE Laura's iris as the center circle, what an incredible touch.

Too bad they couldn't slide "Sycamore Trees" by Jimmy Scott onto it as well but hey, the release was hard enough to clear as is.

8bit

Knows the Score
While I wish it was in standard black I've been waiting so long for this- absolutely LOVE Laura's iris as the center circle, what an incredible touch.

Too bad they couldn't slide "Sycamore Trees" by Jimmy Scott onto it as well but hey, the release was hard enough to clear as is.

I'm more happy there is only one version pressed, so no lucky dip nonsense on the Mondo site.

C4Lukins

I have a lot of stuff on the way, or pre-ordered.

Twin Peaks- soundtrack
SURVIVE- RR7349
David Bowie- Who can I be now
Regina Spektor- Remember us to life
Nice as Fuck- I think it is self titled
Temple of the Dog
Mother Love Bone

Not only was this hard to clear (at least from what I can tell) but it took 2 years because Death Waltz was going to do it. And so was Mondo. And then Mondo bought Death Waltz. And restarted all the progress. They said that they are also doing Fire Walk With Me, which DOES have Sycamore Trees (the only song left off the SECOND Twin Peaks TV show soundtrack, presumably because spoilers/that episode hadn't aired yet), on "Cherry Pie" Colored vinyl (which seeing how fucking gorgeous this coffee color is, has me excited), and I believe that is targeting a November release, but I may be wrong.

Also, I bought it yesterday, 2 hours after it went up, but haven't got any shipping notification yet. Which makes me worried as I'm heading back to college at the end of the month and want to bring it with me...

123rl

I just got what could be my most-wanted vinyl. I know it's not rare by any kind of extreme standard but it's an incredible set - Thrice: Anthology. It's almost 3 hours of live music that sounds incredible and it comes in a beautiful box with a booklet of photos. The sound quality is truly fantastic. I think it'll be a long time before I find a more satisfying record

Top Bottom