• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

BeeDog

Latest batch of vinyls, all electronic/techno:

6Y5229R.jpg

DJ Metatron - 2 The Sky
Pär Grindvik - Isle of Real
Various - When I Was 14 (includes a new AFX track)
Silent Servant - Hypnosis In The Modern Age Vol. 2

That Metatron acquisition (with the original unique cover) was pure luck.

Because I wrote it in the Avalanches thread:

Does anyone have a proper online shop where I can find the LP "Since I left you"?

Discogs shows me one guy selling it for 350 bucks..

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Does anyone have a proper online shop where I can find the LP "Since I left you"?

That's your only bet right now. It came out during a time when LP's weren't selling like they are now so the quantity sold was smaller. You might luck out and find it in a brick and mortar, but chances are nope. That shit is out of print right now. Give it till the end of the year and I'm willing to bet we'll see a repress.

That's your only bet right now. It came out during a time when LP's weren't selling like they are now so the quantity sold was smaller. You might luck out and find it in a brick and mortar, but chances are nope. That shit is out of print right now. Give it till the end of the year and I'm willing to bet we'll see a repress.

Crap,
Actually what I expected.

pablito

I just bought a whole discography recently and I can't do another so soon lol. I really want "Catch 33" and "I" though. My favorite releases by them.

Catch 33 is too expensive sep for me and picture disc as well. Sigh. I want Nothing for sure. I went through so muchshit to get some of the albums i have (and get some of them signed).

akileese

I got Aaliyah's self titled album for $10 at my local MTC. Not bad considering the going rate for a VG+ of that is about 6 times that. I managed to pick up a huge haul of hip hop singles too. It looked like someone traded in a collection.

pablito

Catch 33 is too expensive sep for me and picture disc as well. Sigh. I want Nothing for sure. I went through so muchshit to get some of the albums i have (and get some of them signed).

Fuuuck I just looked up Catch 33 on discogs. $225. And the whole set is $250 lol. And I don't even like picture discs. I'll probably just wait and hope Catch 33 is repressed some day.

Fuuuck I just looked up Catch 33 on discogs. $225. And the whole set is $250 lol. And I don't even like picture discs. I'll probably just wait and hope Catch 33 is repressed some day.

tbh i thoguht they would. contradictions + DEI got like 4 coloured reissues. why stop there :/ maybe after this

IrishNinja

I got Aaliyah's self titled album for $10 at my local MTC. Not bad considering the going rate for a VG+ of that is about 6 times that. I managed to pick up a huge haul of hip hop singles too. It looked like someone traded in a collection.

nice one! and yeah, having inherited a ton of hip hop singles from a DJ, i can tell you they're far more prevalant than albums, sadly. im always happy when i find LP's, did so in an R&B section just the other week - Gucci Crew plus Heavy D & the Boys for $3 each!

akileese

nice one! and yeah, having inherited a ton of hip hop singles from a DJ, i can tell you they're far more prevalant than albums, sadly. im always happy when i find LP's, did so in an R&B section just the other week - Gucci Crew plus Heavy D & the Boys for $3 each!

There is a local place in DFW called Josey Records. They had opened fairly recently and I was there for RSD to snag some stuff. I also managed to snag about..$50 worth of hip hop singles (most were $1 to $3 bucks, some were $5-$7). The next time I went back, everything had doubled in price. There were no more $1-$3 and everything started at $4 and went as high as $10. As far as hip hop singles go...I'd say I've got like 90 percent of what I want and now i'm looking for full albums.

Movie Trading Company's in the area are hit or miss depending on who takes the collection in. It's completely at the discretion of the cashier. Sometimes you get deals like what I got...and then you get $15 Gene Autry albums that have been sitting in a box for 3 years.

BN stores tomorrow should have an exclusive gold vinyl version of the Star Wars soundtrack. The gold versions of Empire and Jedi should follow in August.

IronRinn

Hey guys, cross posting from the video game recorda thread...

Does anybody have any experience with storing records in this kind of style?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181946243405

It's a lot more affordable than other options I've seen. Any advantages/disadvantages you guys can give me to this method?
I don't post much in here, but the first thing that comes to mind is that the edges of the bottom supports would leave indentations in the edges of the outer jacket after a while. If the bottom of that was a flat surface the width of the album it would be fine I would think.

wenis

Hey guys, cross posting from the video game recorda thread...

Does anybody have any experience with storing records in this kind of style?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181946243405

It's a lot more affordable than other options I've seen. Any advantages/disadvantages you guys can give me to this method?

Personally I wouldn't trust that style, not out of any experience, but just from the look of it. As iron said, I think something with a flat surface supporting all sides (minus the top, unless you're looking for a cube) would be better. That style isn't rare or anything. I've seen that design in older furniture from the 70's.

wenis

Anyone have a good idea on what pressing of Pretty Hate Machine would be the one to get?

I know one of the remasters is terrible, but there was another remaster or re-issue around the same time that was from the original tapes, but I can't tell which is which.

Kojima trailers are a helluva drug.
I feel ya but on a different wavelength- I enjoyed the new Radiohead album so much I bought Greenwood's score for The Master despite not listening to it as much as There Will Be Blood- which is disappointingly only on CD.

That Greenwood sauce is getting me into a classical swing for the summer and I'm liking it!

Did I just read TWO instances of people writing "vinyls" on this page??

SHAME!!!

Honestly, give it up. People used to say it long before the great revival of vinyl, it will never go away... for every person you try to correct, there are ten more out there listening to their vinyls. Wince slightly the next time you read it, and move along. Just... move along.

8bit

Knows the Score
Did I just read TWO instances of people writing "vinyls" on this page??

SHAME!!!

They also say Legos.

Think Vinylmeplease made an oblique reference to this earlier in the week, may be worth keeping an eye open there.

ngower

Picked up these last night:

Arthur Russell - Calling Out Of Context
Slint - Spiderland
Perfect Pussy - I Have Lost All Desire For Feeling
Mitski - Puberty 2

All but Mitski were 25% off from a clearance bin, which was rad.

wenis

A few days old information, but may still be relevant depending where you live.

Hot Topic is closing out their Vinyl Dept. so everything must go! $28 dollar records are now $12, so if you wanted that hot pink edition of Ziggy Stardust or a sweet Saiosin release, do it now before it's all gone.

also, I'm not a huge Weird Al fan, but this is kinda awesome:

DNHzd6K.jpg

IrishNinja

picked up Fleet Foxes at a bookstore for $15, guy at the register was on about discogs but says he's pulled better deals from best buy online...looking at a few hip hop LP's, i'm not seeing it. anyone else find good prices there, maybe in other genres?

wenis

Best Buy offers like holiday deals, but they're hardly consistent. I've seen like The Blueprint go for $12, but that was again during the last few months of the year, never during the regular parts of a year.

-GJ-

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new record player. I'm using a very basic €70 Akai one now that I bought 2 years ago when I only had 2 records, but seeing as I have 40-50 now I really want to buy a new and better one. A friend who listens to a lot of music and works at a record label recommended me the Thorens Music on Vinyl Edition and he said that he'd buy that one if he needed a new one. It's €250 here in Holland and he said that I won't find a better one at that price point. My budget is ~€350 incl an amp. Right now I use a very simple amp that I bought back then for €35-45 (I'm not sure anymore). I'd love some help on this, because I know how to play a record, but I have no idea what makes a recordplayer good or bad, haha. Thanks!

Linius

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new record player. I'm using a very basic €70 Akai one now that I bought 2 years ago when I only had 2 records, but seeing as I have 40-50 now I really want to buy a new and better one. A friend who listens to a lot of music and works at a record label recommended me the Thorens Music on Vinyl Edition and he said that he'd buy that one if he needed a new one. It's €250 here in Holland and he said that I won't find a better one at that price point. My budget is ~€350 incl an amp. Right now I use a very simple amp that I bought back then for €35-45 (I'm not sure anymore). I'd love some help on this, because I know how to play a record, but I have no idea what makes a recordplayer good or bad, haha. Thanks!

Well since you're in The Netherlands I'd definitely recommend checking out the Argon TT-2. It's priced at 259 and is a great value for money recordplayer. Comes with an Ortofon OM5e pick-up. And for 119 you can get the NAD PP2e pre amp. A little bit over budget, but well worth it.

You can also get the TT2 with build in pre-amp at 349, but the NAD pre-amp performs better.

-GJ-

Well since you're in The Netherlands I'd definitely recommend checking out the Argon TT-2. It's priced at 259 and is a great value for money recordplayer. Comes with an Ortofon OM5e pick-up. And for 119 you can get the NAD PP2e pre amp. A little bit over budget, but well worth it.

You can also get the TT2 with build in pre-amp at 349, but the NAD pre-amp performs better.

Thanks for the recomendation! Google keeps showing me versions with a built-in pre-amp for around €249 though. What's the deal with that? If I buy one with a built-in pre-amp, could I still use the NAD pre-amp you recommended?

wenis

hmmmm, glad I didnt pre-order the signed version now...

TDE has a habit of these easy autograph

E56V0l.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
My favorite Japanese dealer happened to get in a bunch of my long-time wishlist releases, but I misread the exchange rate and almost accidentally ordered $700 worth of vintage LPs 😂😨

wenis

My favorite Japanese dealer happened to get in a bunch of my long-time wishlist releases, but I misread the exchange rate and almost accidentally ordered $700 worth of vintage LPs 😂😨

I'm way too paranoid to almost accidentally order anything in any other currency other than USD.

wenis

Finally finished my Led Zeppelin collection. Took two years, but I own all the Jimmy Page remasters now. Really helped out that the Amazon reseller "CollectorsChoice" has those last three records for $12 shipped right now.

1K5AtP8l.jpeg

obin_gam

Bought some frames for my extensive collection (going for quality instead of quantity :p)
13584012_1583155821981785_1220169235_n.jpg

Skenet is a neofolk instrumental band, sounds kinda like the more actiony part os The Witcher 3 soundtrack. Ghost and Ahab are the centerpieces which I started buying, both the cover art and the actual songs on those records are worth every little penny. Arch Enemy I just bought on a whim, it's good, but nothing more...

Was browsing the $.99 bin at a local store and lucked into Elton John Madman Across the Water, Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick, and Supertramp Breakfast in America.

But the real gem was Slim Whitman's Greatest Hits. I am ready for the Martian invasion now!

Top Bottom