• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

My pickups today:
121x3ki.png

-Arctic Monkeys - Don't Sit Down
-Yeasayer (no idea what's on it yet)
-Franz Ferdinand covers
-Black Box Revelation - Lust or Love (250 copies made)
-Gorillaz - The Fall (number 2410, according to the shop owner there are 5000 copies worldwide)
46,50 euros in total

Didn't get Radiohead (store only got 3 copies).

Suairyu

Banned
Well thank god I'm an anal son of a duck. Noticed a scuff mark (!!!) on the cover, so return for a replacement. Guy is super happy to see me. Apparantly as I was the first in I get a DJ mix by the presenters of BBC 6Music. Awesome.

Back from the store! :) Was kind of surprised.. our store had all the copies of The Fall they ordered, I saw at least 5 of them!

pPxgfl.jpg

Zotty said:
There are even more then 5000. I also got one here numbered 6055.

Yeah, you're right. Saw number over 7000 this morning. Glad I asked for the lowest number :)

YagizY

I know this is a huge stretch but would anyone be willing to pick up 'The Fall' for me? I'm in the US and I would gladly pay shipping + price of vinyl + and a little bit on top. I've been a diehard Gorillaz fan from the beginning and traveled over 1,000 miles to see them in concert.

I really want the vinyl as I have all their other stuff on vinyl but I currently live in a middle of nowhere town that only has one vinyl store (a very shitty one at that) that isn't getting anything in.

Suairyu

Banned
Zotty said:
There are even more then 5000. I also got one here numbered 6055.
The label is maintaining there at only 2000 pressings. I have no idea if the numbers are a random ID or actual '#x of y' listing.

ngower

Today is one of my favorite days but:

1) I have no money
2) I'm in a new place for school and can't go to my local shop
3) I have no job to make money

Already see some things on ebay, which really pisses me off.

5624849450_ae93a1a5b4_b.jpg

5624847928_1d86d7391e_b.jpg

5624257675_8a78c111a4_b.jpg

Amazing band from Sweden, on the same label as The Whitest Boy Alive, listen to their song "Restless"!

5624258329_0266b7835e_b.jpg

5624258789_702fd2b676_b.jpg

My local record store had at least two. 5025 and 5026. So I guess they are numbered in line.

BUT, as soon as I wanted to put a record on, my needle broke. All store's are closed for the weekend. Bummer. :(

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The store I went to (Newbury Comics in Boston) was absolutely insane. Probably 100 or so people waiting in line when the store opened. The Foo Fighers covers LP seemed to be the thing that went the fastest — the first people snatched all the copies up QUICK.

There was no sign of the Piebald 3xLP I was looking for, but I did get the Oval/Liturgy split LP. It doesn't surprise me that I was the only one looking for it, but it's limited to 400, so it's nice to have a copy. I was also surprised that no one had grabbed the Discordance Axis LP (which is limited to 300), but I already have a first press of that, so I skipped it.

EricM85

Picked up pretty much everything I wanted in Seattle. Only missed out on the Nirvana release. I will totally take that off someone's hands if they somehow have an extra copy, otherwise I'm going to buy it off Ebay once the initial freenzy winds down.

I had no idea this was a "camp out" kind of event! My store had a huge line when I walked over at opening, so I didn't even bother.

All I really wanted was Nirvana - Hormoaning and Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity. Luckily, there are a couple people selling Friend Opportunity for $23 shipped on ebay right now! Pretty cool since there's only 1000 of them...but maybe that's a lot for Deerhoof. So I bought one of those.

Hormoaning is at like $40 to $60, I hope it goes down. There are only two tracks on there that aren't on Incesticide, so I don't want to pay out the ass for them.

Waited outside Crash Records in Leeds, UK from 4.30am. 12th in the queue.

Picked up:

Gorillaz - The Fall
Various - Ed Banger The Bee Sides
Foals - Metropolis Sessions
Metronomy - The Look
Queen - Stormtroopers in Stilettos
Suede - The Drowners
Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar

And got a badge and a ton of sampler CDs as well. Fantastic haul really (and the Ed Banger is going for £100+ on eBay now!).

woxel1

I nearly got cheated out of Record Store Day at Amoeba in Hollywood. After baking for hours in the hot sun, I was called to the info desk and informed that the records I was going to buy were no longer available. After that bombshell, someone looked in the back and retrieved two of my picks: Beach Boys (Good Vibrations/Heroes and Villains) & the "Side by Side" Havana Affair (Ramones/RHCP on a red 7").

Which leads me to my question. The Beach Boys vinyl (No. 2809), to my surprise, is a 78! I don't own anything that does 78, so... where do I start looking for a quality record player that does 33, 45, and 78 RPMs?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Store was having a 15% off sale for record store day:

IMG_2864.jpg

A Star is Born soundtrack
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Mountains - Choral
Japan - Oil On Canvas

i went to three shops looking for the daft punk tron lp and the deftones cover lp but no luck. I did get the my morning jacket "Z" picture disc though. nice consolation prize.

I overslept (too much fun at the bar last night) and showed up an hour and a half after the shop opened (Shake It in Cincinnati).

I was 30th in line to get in even though the store had been open for 90 minutes! The crowd was WAY WAY bigger than last year. The line to pay by credit card was about 60 deep, fortunately I had enough cash with me.

Grabbed Flaming Lips, Gorillaz, Architecture in Helsinki, Sonic Youth, and (for a friend) Manchester Orchestra. Was supposed to get Foo Fighters for another friend but it was sold out.

Really glad to have the Flaming Lips box. At $112.50 after discount, it's way cheaper than getting the original albums. And the pressing is very quiet and the records are very flat (though thin).

People traded in a lot of stuff yesterday. Love that reckless records updates their online inventory before opening every morning!

about to walk over to pick up:
--Warp 10+3: Remixes. YES!!! Not super rare, but the 4 lp set is all awesome. Broadcast, aphex twin, stereolab, boards of canada...all warp artists remixing each other and getting remixed. It's an IDO (intelligent dance orgy.)

and I can't decide between Nirvana- Unplugged used for $14.99 or Talking Heads - 1975 CBS sessions for $14.99 (limited to 500.) Probably gonna get the Talking Heads album. So limited and I think nirvana unplugged is a little overrated to be honest. Something about Kurt's voice on that album is difficult to listen to.

Seth C

YagizY said:
I know this is a huge stretch but would anyone be willing to pick up 'The Fall' for me? I'm in the US and I would gladly pay shipping + price of vinyl + and a little bit on top. I've been a diehard Gorillaz fan from the beginning and traveled over 1,000 miles to see them in concert.

I really want the vinyl as I have all their other stuff on vinyl but I currently live in a middle of nowhere town that only has one vinyl store (a very shitty one at that) that isn't getting anything in.

I will check my store today and see if any are left. I doubt it, but I'll look. Anyone want a copy of Circuital (My Morning Jecket) if they have any left?

got the warp comp and Talking heads.

They had that live Pink Floyd ep left from yesterday. 2 tracks for $30, one of which might be an extended drum solo...no wonder nobody bought it. I was gonna offer it up here but I saw some guy ask for it, so maybe they just sold it.

WEGGLES

Smision said:
got the warp comp and Talking heads.

They had that live Pink Floyd ep left from yesterday. 2 tracks for $30, one of which might be an extended drum solo...no wonder nobody bought it. I was gonna offer it up here but I saw some guy ask for it, so maybe they just sold it.
Bummer.

I'd have bought off you.

Though, likely all for the best... I spent far too much yesterday as is.

YagizY

Seth C said:
I will check my store today and see if any are left. I doubt it, but I'll look. Anyone want a copy of Circuital (My Morning Jecket) if they have any left?

Hey thanks but I actually was somehow able to snag one. Their was 1 copy available in my whole city and somehow I was lucky enough to get it.

Went to the local record shop today, and much to my surprise I found a copy of the Deftones Covers album, it was the only thing I wanted and thankfully I had heard about it in here.

Don't give up hope on your Record Store Day searches!!

Got the Daydream Nation 4x deluxe edition from amazon today, currently enjoying it. Very nice set with a hardcover 2 piece box and a record sized book. Totally worth $36, if not more.

WEGGLES said:
Bummer.

I'd have bought off you.

Though, likely all for the best... I spent far too much yesterday as is.

I just realized the one they have is the original UK version (which was also limited, but not nearly as much as the RSD release, of course.) Now I feel like an ass because I had heard some guy asking for it and I told him they had it. He's the one who I thought bought it...

Smision said:
Got the Daydream Nation 4x deluxe edition from amazon today, currently enjoying it. Very nice set with a hardcover 2 piece box and a record sized book. Totally worth $36, if not more.

I keep waffling on that one. It's supposedly more compressed than the old pressings, but boy the bonus material is a treasure trove.

Beer Monkey said:
It's supposedly more compressed than the old pressings,

yeah, I wasn't really blown away by the sound quality. I wasn't listening to it very loud, but aside from some extra clarity and a little more bass, it's not mind-blowing.

zerotol

Banned
I picked up these within the last few days

Deerhoof "Friend Opportunity" record store day release on translucent green vinyl

2775870d.jpg

Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" alternate cover art version for release in Spain on blue vinyl

1e9692dc.jpg

and this coffee table book of Ethan Russel's photos of the Stones 1969 US tour, originally $35 bucks... on sale for 5 bucks at Borders.

ce0ec3a1.jpg

84ea87b5.jpg

In researching the deadwax in the new Heady Nuggs box set from Flaming Lips I determined that all the discs are indeed newly remastered by Chris Bellman (who has a pretty solid reputation, and I think they sound great), except for The Soft Bulletin. It's the (widely praised) 2009 mastering by Don Grossinger.

andylsun

My first pick-up post in this thread

Three Beatles albums (Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt Pepper), from what I can tell so far, they are all early US releases (pre 1970), covers a bit tatty, but the records themselves look pretty clean. I didn't check if MMT was mono or stereo. These are my three favourite Beatles albums, and I own the remastered CD's, but always wanted some Beatles vinyl.

Added a still sealed Brothers in Arms, and the total came to $34.

cwmartin

blame space said:
so is The Fall hard to come by? i was just at the store and they had two copies.. snagged 2567 and Plastic Beach.

My local store was sold out and I was considerable early, probably the 30th or so person through the door. :( Sad is me.

thefit

andylsun said:
My first pick-up post in this thread

Three Beatles albums (Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt Pepper), from what I can tell so far, they are all early US releases (pre 1970), covers a bit tatty, but the records themselves look pretty clean. I didn't check if MMT was mono or stereo. These are my three favourite Beatles albums, and I own the remastered CD's, but always wanted some Beatles vinyl.

Added a still sealed Brothers in Arms, and the total came to $34.

I've got all those along with a lot others and all in mono

TxdoHawk

Cross-post from the pick-ups thread. Got my LP copy of Tighter, MSI's re-issue of Tight:

2011-04-22_18-03-15_846.jpg

I cracked 'er open expecting black vinyl and found this instead. :D

2011-04-22_20-28-13_652.jpg

Edit: Whoops, sorry about that. Thought Photobucket saved my resize changes...

Hey vinyl lovers on GAF, my band Mouse Grey from socal recently put out it's newest EP only on limited 7 inch vinyl a few days ago.....hand numbered and only 300 pressed and it comes with a ton of goodies. If you like My Bloody Valentine, Smashing Pumpkins, Tamaryn, The Cure then this might be right up your alley.

http://mousegrey.com/ or www.facebook.com/mousegrey

It's only 5 bucks too!

on another note....I was lucky enough to pick up The White Stripes RSD releases a few weeks ago, such a great band. Also recently picked up Slowdive's Souvlaki....still growing on me.

Get'sMad

I've dropped like 200 bones on records in the past 2 weeks.

Will post some picz when I get home from work.

god I forgot how much I missed playing vinyl.

Top Bottom