• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

oracrest

nitewulf said:
i went to Ikea this weeked, I believe you have the "Billy" shelf...they have the back walls, and the structure is similar to yours, thick panels. The Expedits are quite different.

I ended up cutting a square piece of masonite from home depot and nailing in to the back, I think I must have gotten those Expedits.

swoon

FLEABttn said:
Seems that my skipping may be more player related so I need something better than an AT-LP60. What's a good more expensive than, but still somewhat affordable, as far as turntables go?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00012EYNG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JY67ZS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JY9MB4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any experience with any of these?

it's more than likely the tracking force of your arm or stylus than anything else. readjust and try those tracks again.

FLEABttn

Banned
My turntable has no tracking force or anti-skate or anything like that.

And after reading literally the entire thread, looks like I need to save up for a Pro-ject Debut III.

Hello all,

I'm attempting to get an acceptable setup to replace my currently unacceptable one. I've been trolling craigslist for a couple of days, and needed to see if anybody had any insight into these items:
Quartz Synthesizer Tuner ST-Z990
Stereo Integrated Amplifier SU-Z900
Stereo Double Cassette Deck RS-D224W
Automatic Turntable System SL-B260
3 Way Speakers (2) SB-2660, 200W

Being sold as a set.

My biggest problem is I can't seem to find much of anything on the Technics sl-b260 to support that it even existed. Is it a rebranding of another model? Is it any good? It doesn't come with a dust cover, are standard parts used generally so that I could find a compatible one designed for another Technics model?
Any idea as to value of the lot?

Thanks.

Edit: It should be noted that I'm operating pretty low budget here, so Pretty good is good enough for me.

FLEABttn said:
Seems that my skipping may be more player related so I need something better than an AT-LP60. What's a good more expensive than, but still somewhat affordable, as far as turntables go?

I had some skipping problems with my LP60, but I just needed to dust off my records a bit better before playing them. Which was weird because they were new records that looked clean, but worked perfectly after wiping them once.

FLEABttn

Banned
Smision said:
I had some skipping problems with my LP60, but I just needed to dust off my records a bit better before playing them. Which was weird because they were new records that looked clean, but worked perfectly after wiping them once.

What did you wipe with?

Danielsan

Dear GAF, I've been meaning to get into vinyl for quite a while now, and yesterday a buddy of mine gave me one of his old record players along with The Flaming Lips - Embryonic.
Sadly I have absolutely zero knowledge on audio equipment and I'm kind of at a loss as to what I need to acquire to get this thing running as it should. Is it worth the trouble to patch it up a bit (replace the needle cartridge for instance), or would I be better of getting a new one (given that I have a rather low budget)? And what kind of amplifier would I need?

This is the turntable in question (Pioneer PL-X303):

V39Xr.jpg

There is also the matter of this cable:
YTg5M.jpg

What purpose does it serve exactly?

Thanks in advance!

Danielsan

thefit said:
Thats the ground, you need to attach that to the ground on your receiver/mixer or your gonna have noise.
Thanks for the quick response.

I almost want to punch my friend in the face for his gift. It got me looking into record players again and now I'm considering purchasing expensive new gear instead of just trying to find some cheap second hand old gear. I'm also finally taking some time to get a better understandig of the required equipment considering I've never owned any type of audio equipment other than a Walkman, portable CD players, MP3 players and headphones, so this all totally unknown territory to me. I've been slowly going through the older pages of this thread, reading, drooling and only understanding half of it.

I'm now looking at reasonably priced pre-amps. I found the following two within my price range:

Cambridge audio 540P - €85

7gPkx.jpg

NAD PP 2i - €99

DyqCL.jpg

Which one of these would be preferred? Or are there better options within a rather limited budget?

Reading this thread also has me concerned that the old second hand Pioneer PL-X303 may damage my records and also has left me drooling at the beauty of the PRO-JECT Debut III. However I believe I read that the standard Debut III does not have a switch for switching between 33 RPM and 45 RPM and would require a separate speedbox to do so. Is this correct? Would I be better off getting a slightly more expensive model?

After hooking up the record player to the phone pre-amp, I take it that I need to hook up the amp to a receiver? Do you guys have any cheap suggestions? initially I want to use my Sennheiser HD 595 to listen to the records. Budget is an issue so decent speakers will have to wait.

Sorry for all the questions, but as someone with a lack of audio knowledge it's all a bit overwhelming.

Danielsan said:
Reading this thread also has me concerned that the old second hand Pioneer PL-X303 may damage my records and also has left me drooling at the beauty of the PRO-JECT Debut III. However I believe I read that the standard Debut III does not have a switch for switching between 33 RPM and 45 RPM and would require a separate speedbox to do so. Is this correct? Would I be better off getting a slightly more expensive model?
Yeah, Debut III doesn't have switch, you need to manually lift the plate and move the belt or get a speedbox. Whether you want to invest on the speedbox or the more expensive model (Project had one with built-in speedbox right?) is up to you, or if you are mostly going to listen to LP's you can just manually do the switch-roo yourself. I couldn't do it as I constantly switch between 33/45 rpm though.

ngower

I have the Debut III with the speedbox and, though it's a good sound, I would say look into the Rega RP1 or go to the higher Pro-Ject models. Not to discredit the Debut III, but for the amount of money you'd be suggested to invest in a new cartridge, platter upgrade, and speed box, you could get a better table for the money.

oracrest

I finally got what I personally consider to be my holy grail of Vinyl, HUM - Youd Prefer an Astronaut. Sniped that shit on ebay in the last 10 seconds.

9ed0e21e.jpg

ngower

lhhnm.jpg

Vivian Girls - Share the Joy

It's on teal vinyl, got it a week before the street date at their show last night. Got all three to sign it, snagged their setlist as well. SO GOOD!

ngower

Yep, it leaked early in some spots. Street date is still April 12, and the teal vinyl was limited to 2,000 so add that in. Also, it's signed so... :D

I remember when the first LP was limited to 500 or so, heh. I guess they were in the right place at the right time. I got the first 3 7"'s and the lp's.

ngower

I've got several of their 7" as well, not sure which off the top of my head. Only one of their full-lengths I don't have is Everything Goes Wrong. Oh, and that live record they only had like 100 of that I didn't know was so rare when I saw it like two years ago haha.

They put on a great show last night, really wish I was out of school in time to see them when they head to Boston.

Danielsan

Well I decided to steer away from the idea to get a completely new audio setup. I simply didn't have to money to properly make it happen.
However, instead I decided to search the online marketplace for some decent vintage equipment that would help me get started. Today my purchases came in and guess what, I'm listening to some vinyl right now. :)

I purchased a second hand Technics SL-23 for €51,75 (incl. shipping) and it looks pretty damn phenomenal. It may not be one of the high end Technics models, butI just love the design of it and it sounds great!
To power it I purchased another second hand old-timer, the Marantz PM 400 for €46,75 (incl. shipping).

Right now I'm lacking a bit of space so it's a really ghetto setup, but hopefully I will soon get my own apartment where I can give them the proper space that they need. Here's some pictures:

Hx5Sa.jpg

ZqHbD.jpg

NbJ7G.jpg

I will get a set of speakers when I have my own space, but I'm wondering if I should change the cartridge and go for an AT95E? The previous owner replaced his cartridge with a diamond EPS 270ED, which is still in pretty decent shape. I will also order a vinyl brush tonight and maybe a spare belt in case this one decides to die.

Other than that, it's officially Vinyl hunting season for me. Right now I only have The Flaming Lips - Embryonic which I got from a friend (sadly the yellow vinyl is slightly warped) and I have Feist - Reminder on the way.

oLuNg.jpg

busy week (starting from bottom left, going clockwise)--
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (repress)
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (repress)
Blue Velvet Soundtrack
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup (very lucky grab from a store this morning. only $20.)
Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow (i think it's a reprint...same store, $14.99 new.)
Portishead - Portishead

and I have the Twin Peaks soundtrack on the way from france

cabottemp

Banned
I got really into thrice, and *had* to own the alchemy index on vinyl. ended up buying it on ebay for 180. That probably sounds stupid to a lot of you, but for me, it's priceless.

tumblr_ljat84P65d1qdgtp2.jpg

tumblr_ljat8ap0v61qdgtp2.jpg

Fire:
tumblr_ljat8gs9DH1qdgtp2.jpg

Water
tumblr_ljat8lJUwE1qdgtp2.jpg

Air
tumblr_ljat8rqsiC1qdgtp2.jpg

Earth
tumblr_ljat8xtI3Z1qdgtp2.jpg

tumblr_ljat92fuNp1qdgtp2.jpg

It's in fantastic condition, and the seller was kind enough to include the replacement Earth disc (which was defective when Victory shipped it originally).

<3.

Just preordered this: http://www.merchdirect.com/TripleCr...ctrum_The_Complete_Collection?productid=14050

cabot said:
I got really into thrice, and *had* to own the alchemy index on vinyl. ended up buying it on ebay for 180. That probably sounds stupid to a lot of you, but for me, it's priceless.

It's in fantastic condition, and the seller was kind enough to include the replacement Earth disc (which was defective when Victory shipped it originally).

<3.

Just preordered this: http://www.merchdirect.com/TripleCr...ctrum_The_Complete_Collection?productid=14050

That's a really awesome set. I bought a triple vinyl Melvins boxset from ebay for $200 dollars once, so I understand spending that much to get something you really want hehe.

cabottemp

Banned
Charmicarmicat said:
That's a really awesome set. I bought a triple vinyl Melvins boxset from ebay for $200 dollars once, so I understand spending that much to get something you really want hehe.

yes! you like what you like, right? :)

sw33tclyde said:
Damn, colored vinyl is so neat haha.. I need more - only have one white lp.

Indeed it is! I'm also really into artists including actual books as liner notes. Well, not like books as in like novels or anything, but I've found that typically the liner notes you'd get with a vinyl record are way more interesting, personal, and substantial than those that come with CDs.

Some colored vinyl can look cool but they are almost always pain in the ass while DJ'ing or trying to find a track in general. I prefer black unless the colored ones are limited or something.

cabot said:

not stupid at all. a lot of my favorite albums are completely out of print. What's funny is that in all my years of game collecting, I never paid over $100 for a collectible game. but I've got a list of expensive vinyl that I will knock out in my lifetime and I won't even bat an eye. I guess music is a way better hobby though haha

I might end up in the $200 range for a copy of the Lost Highway sound track. I will also end up paying super high prices if I ever hope to own any Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album, any Boards of Canada full length, or any of my other favorite Stereolab full lengths. granted that I don't find them in the wild somewhere.

I hope to see a lot more reissues of 90s titles so I don't have to spend $100-$200 on some of my favorite albums.

I don't give a shit about original pressings. If a reissue is well-mastered and pressed well, and the artwork is complete, I'll happily take it and save $80-$180.

cabottemp

Banned
Smision said:
not stupid at all. a lot of my favorite albums are completely out of print. What's funny is that in all my years of game collecting, I never paid over $100 for a collectible game. but I've got a list of expensive vinyl that I will knock out in my lifetime and I won't even bat an eye. I guess music is a way better hobby though haha

I will always love gaming but yeah, music is way more appealing from a collecting standpoint.

Beer Monkey said:
I hope to see a lot more reissues of 90s titles so I don't have to spend $100-$200 on some of my favorite albums.

I am so with you on that one. I'd love to get some Stone Temple Pilots on vinyl.

Not sure if you're a Pearl Jam fan or not, but as I understand it, they will be re-releasing Vs. and Vitalogy on 12" for record store day on the 16th.

Beer Monkey said:
Speaking of reissues, I picked this up for $21 shipped a few weeks ago:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GP0NJI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

51sYDy9PeOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

People I trust say that these silver banner titles from MSFL definitely don't use the original master tapes for their laquer cuttings.

Then again, the vast majority of records ever issued don't use the original master for their cuttings.

It sounds fantastic.

my MFSL copy of Sea Change by Beck is probably my best sounding record.

it's also limited and starting to sell out, in case anybody has been contemplating buying a copy of it.

Suairyu

Banned
Just phoned my local to confirm they'll have some of Gorillaz' The Fall in on Saturday. They expect to, but can't be sure because the various companies are dicking them about with the lists. I really, really hope I don't miss it. Stupid, 500-pressings only album.

FLEABttn

Banned
Suairyu said:
Just phoned my local to confirm they'll have some of Gorillaz' The Fall in on Saturday. They expect to, but can't be sure because the various companies are dicking them about with the lists. I really, really hope I don't miss it. Stupid, 500-pressings only album.

None of my locals are participating really. I've got an order through a indie in Wisconsin, who told me they'd call me this week to let me know if I'm getting it or not. I really want it, but I don't want to pay some premium on amazon e-stores or ebay just to get it.

Also, vinyl reissue of Live - Throwing Copper please.

Smision said:
my MFSL copy of Sea Change by Beck is probably my best sounding record.

it's also limited and starting to sell out, in case anybody has been contemplating buying a copy of it.

Sea Change is an amazing sounding album and in addition to the vinyl I highly recommend the SACD and DVD-A, because Elliot Scheiner's surround mix is astonishing. One of those albums where it's great to have the digital surround version for the home theater and a great analog stereo version for your two-channel system.

Beer Monkey said:
Sea Change is an amazing sounding album and in addition to the vinyl I highly recommend the SACD and DVD-A, because Elliot Scheiner's surround mix is astonishing. One of those albums where it's great to have the digital surround version for the home theater and a great analog stereo version for your two-channel system.

had the DVD-A years ago and got rid of it, sadly.

Danielsan

Well shit. I bought some new albums on saturday and now my record player is crawling to a near halt every 30 seconds or so. The platter slows down or stops completely at times. :(

What would be the cause of this? Could it be related to the belt?

Suairyu said:
Mine got 1 copy in today. Picking it up after work. Not head over heals about the album, but if it's really limited to 500 copies world wide it's a worthwhile investment.

Danielsan said:
Well shit. I bought some new albums on saturday and now my record player is crawling to a near halt every 30 seconds or so. The platter slows down or stops completely at times. :(

What would be the cause of this? Could it be related to the belt?
Yeah, change the belt

Danielsan

PetriP-TNT said:
Yeah, change the belt
Thanks. Just ordered a new belt. Hopefully that will mend the problem. Just spent €70 on records and €95 on audio equipment and now I can't listen to any of it. Just my luck. At least I got a taste of some sweet 180 gram Vinyl Saturday.

nitewulf

Beer Monkey said:
Speaking of reissues, I picked this up for $21 shipped a few weeks ago:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GP0NJI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

51sYDy9PeOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

People I trust say that these silver banner titles from MSFL definitely don't use the original master tapes for their laquer cuttings.

Then again, the vast majority of records ever issued don't use the original master for their cuttings.

It sounds fantastic.
yeah, i just got this as well, and yes, it does sound fantastic.

Suairyu

Banned
The Interrobanger said:
Mine got 1 copy in today. Picking it up after work. Not head over heals about the album, but if it's really limited to 500 copies world wide it's a worthwhile investment.
I hate your local for breaking the date when mine refuses to.

I just want Hormoaning and maybe Friend Opportunity on record store day. I have a bunch of records on the way and am starting to feel like my collection is getting to a good critical mass.

but I'm really pissed, I just got ebay sniped on a deluxe edition copy (numbered 28!) of Stereolab - Sound-Dust. went for only about $70 shipped. I will not rest until I get that album...

Suairyu

Banned
The Interrobanger said:
I have about 10 record shops within a 10 min walk of me, but this place is the only one I'm on a first name basis with the owner on. :)
Oh, if only I had to money to build up such a rapport! Vinyl is (for good reasons) too damn expensive.

Top Bottom