• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Tattooth

I kind of need some help with my record player.

This is my turntable I've had it for 7 months now and I just have it hooked up to some pc speakers. I know this is the worst thing I can be doing when it comes to listening to vinyl, but I thought it would be the safest option.

What I need help with are the speakers, will I need an amp or receiver, or just better speakers. It just has the red and white phono inputs on the back.

I feel like I have had this for too long and have done nothing about upgrading.

300623r.jpg

Been waiting a couple weeks for this to arrive in the mail, well worth it though. Got off work early and now I'm winding down.. spinning Junior and sipping some wild turkey 101. Hope your evening is going as well as mine GAF, cheers. :)

Winged Creature said:
Those remasters were very poorly done from what i recall.

Leave it up to Metallica to master something good...

Anyway, guys, can you guys help me with a setup? I'm a complete n00d and dont know where to start. I primarily listen to metal. I would like to not spend too much more than $300.

WEGGLES

HammerOfThor said:
Leave it up to Metallica to master something good...

Anyway, guys, can you guys help me with a setup? I'm a complete n00d and dont know where to start. I primarily listen to metal. I would like to not spend too much more than $300.
I would suggest getting into something other than vinyl then.

My set up is rather modest and my TT alone is that much.

In that price range for an entire set up (assuming you need a TT, Amp and speakers) you're kind-of in the "What ever you can get" range.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Used some store credit and member points to pick up Jim Carroll's Catholic Boy, Buckingham/Nicks and the Beatles' White Album today. Certainly can't complain about more vinyl for no money out of pocket! Man, I'd forgotten how great this Jim Carroll album is.

Image08032011124155.jpg

After resisting for years and years, I am finally ready to take the plunge and start buying vinyl. Any recommendations for a good entry level record player? My budget is about $200. Ultimately I'd like to build out a nice system for listening to records. I'm planning on slowly repurchasing all of my favorite albums on vinyl.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
OBevU.jpg

My first Prince albums and a nice bargain on Stop Making Sense ($3). Almost picked up Vanity 6 to go along with Prince, but I'm trying to keep my vinyl purchases to things I really want to listen to versus random novelties.

hoverX

WEGGLES said:
Any of you folks live in/near London Ontario?

I'll be moving there in Sept. and I was wondering if there were any decent record shops.

I stopped in at Grooves, but holy fuck they are expensive. I got Battles - Gloss Drop, Destroyer - Kaputt and Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest... came to $85. Ouch. They had excellent prices EDIT: NOT PRICES selection, but when prices for records seem to start at $25... I dunno.

Any help?

For now I've been ordering from insound.com and shipping to a US P.O. box, but that'll mean an hour and 40 minute drive, plus a bridge toll to pick up new records once I move to London. Hrm. I stopped at Sunrise records too, but they're worse. Most stuff was $30+
I used to live in London 10 years ago. There was a pretty good shop downtown called Dr Disc. The basement was all vinyl. They may have gone belly up though. I know the one in Hamilton did.

zerotol

Banned
Giant Robot said:
friend just showed me this...

6syl5e.jpg

kinda curious to try it myself and test on some shitty records.

I've heard about this many times but have never actually tried it. And yeah, picture 6 looks like a glue acetate!

I've tried this on two records. One was fucked beyond repair and it didn't do anything. The other was pretty roughed up, had some nasty pops and some hard skip spots. I did the glue trick a few times on both sides and it definitely got more listenable.

I didn't do it as nicely as the pic though. Mine was quite messy and uneven because I didn't put it on my turntable like that. I used elmer's wood glue. Once I upgrade from my AT LP60, I suppose I'll put it to work doing that.

----

Picked up the Flaming Lips/Lightning Bolt collab today. Just about insane as expected! I was grumbling about paying $17 for 4 songs, but I guess it sold out pretty fast and is selling for a lot online. Gonna grab the ones with Prefuse 73 and Neon Indian tomorrow...hate it when shit that i want sells out.

Prez

Giant Robot said:
friend just showed me this...

http://i53.tinypic.com/6syl5e.jpg[IMG]

kinda curious to try it myself and test on some shitty records.[/QUOTE]

I've done this on some crappy records and it didn't make a difference. I used wood glue. I even tried a mix with water (to make it thin enough for the glue to get in the grooves).

hoverX said:
I used to live in London 10 years ago. There was a pretty good shop downtown called Dr Disc. The basement was all vinyl. They may have gone belly up though. I know the one in Hamilton did.

Dr. Disc is still goin in Hamilton, as is Cheapies, both located right downtown by Jackson Square, I think the last record I picked up was a copy of Deftones-Covers a day after record store day for $20 before Cheapies jacked up the price to $50.

Also there are often record and collectible shows in Hamilton if you keep your ear out, you can usually find some ok stuff at them.

andylsun

Stabbie said:
I've done this on some crappy records and it didn't make a difference. I used wood glue. I even tried a mix with water (to make it thin enough for the glue to get in the grooves).

I've done this on pretty much every thrift store record I've picked up over the last year (about 300 records). It's made an amazing difference in getting the dirt and muck out. It won't do anything for scratches or groove damage though. Click Repair is the best software for dealing with something like that.

Picked up four DG Bach records on Monday that were covered in what looked like cat hair. Glued them up and then brushed with a carbon fibre brush (to get rid of the static that happens when peeling the glue) and they sound like new.

Had some persistent pops on old ELP records that were there since I bought them in the 80's - got so used to it it seemed normal. Glued them up and the pop has gone.

Once you get the technique down (use a credit card for spreading the glue, just the right size) it takes about a minute per record. There's way too much glue on the pictures above - I don't get any spill over the edge of the record and it always peels in once piece. Don't use anything but Titebond II in the USA (not sure what it's called everywhere else).

nitewulf

is the Alice in Chains MTV unplugged a rare find? I found it at a reasonable price...but I already have the CD, which sounds fantastic...not sure what to do.

hoverX

LoneWolf296 said:
Dr. Disc is still goin in Hamilton, as is Cheapies, both located right downtown by Jackson Square, I think the last record I picked up was a copy of Deftones-Covers a day after record store day for $20 before Cheapies jacked up the price to $50.

Also there are often record and collectible shows in Hamilton if you keep your ear out, you can usually find some ok stuff at them.

I stand corrected. My friend told me it had closed, I've been to Hamilton only once in the past 10 years

1QPcc.jpg

Went and saw these guys last night in Charlotte at a little bar called Snug Harbor, was an amazing show. We hung out with the band afterwards and Algernon slipped me that 7" for free. I got the band to sign it and ended up helping them load their van. My buddy ran and got a blunt from the store and we scrolled it up and smoked with Algernon and Rick behind a dumpster. Really one of the best experiences I've ever had at a show, much better than any large concert venue.

Echoes

I'm looking into buying Pro-Ject Debut III. I have no experience with vinyl, but I'm getting Darren Hayes new record (collector's edition) and I'd love to test it out; the vinyl comes with it in addition to the CDs. What do I need more? I have Denon 2000 and NuForce Icon HDP. Is it a matter of simply connecting it to the HDP?

Echoes said:
I'm looking into buying Pro-Ject Debut III. I have no experience with vinyl, but I'm getting Darren Hayes new record (collector's edition) and I'd love to test it out; the vinyl comes with it in addition to the CDs. What do I need more? I have Denon 2000 and NuForce Icon HDP. Is it a matter of simply connecting it to the HDP?

I don't know if the Pro-Ject Debut III comes with a phono pre-amp built in. If it doesn't, you'll need one of those. (The NuForce does not have it.)

Echoes

I thought the HDP is a combo DAC/preamp, or is that a different thing from phono preamp?

Any recommendations? As I said, I have zero experience in this.

Echoes said:
I thought the HDP is a combo DAC/preamp, or is that a different thing from phono preamp?

Any recommendations? As I said, I have zero experience in this.

A Phono preamp stage is different from a normal pre-amp, I believe. This article explains it nicely.

http://www.phonostagepreamp.com/all-about-the-phono-preamp.htm

Like you, I don't have a receiver. I bought an inexpensive phono stage preamp off ebay.
This one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Phono-Preamp-Preamplifier-wAUX-input-Volume-Control-/390278363865

I didn't do too much research before getting this one, so others here might suggest something that is less expensive and/or of better quality.

Alucrid

Banned
whatsinaname said:
A Phono preamp stage is different from a normal pre-amp, I believe. This article explains it nicely.

Like you, I don't have a receiver. I bought an inexpensive phono stage preamp off ebay.
This one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Phono-Preamp-Preamplifier-wAUX-input-Volume-Control-/390278363865

I didn't do too much research before getting this one, so others here might suggest something that is less expensive and/or of better quality.

You can get a pre-amp that has a phono input. I bought an Emotiva USP-1 from a fellow gaffer that has a phono input and it has been working great.

RDreamer

Picked these all up at a flea market yesterday:

GbnFG.jpg

All for 10 bucks total. All in really great condition. And the Thick as a Brick one has the original fold out newspaper design. I absolutely love it and I'm glad I went for it even though it was a buck more expensive than the version without that.

whatsinaname said:

This one.

I have a Rotel pre-amp with a phono stage built in. I also have a Cambridge Audio phono stage that I use. Switching back and forth I really can't hear a difference.

Sullen

I'm really wanting to get into this, but I know very little about record players. What is a good player for 200-ish dollars or less? And how do you connect it to a home system receiver?

probably a used Rega P1 or a used Pro-Ject Debut.

If your receiver has a phono input then you're good to go. If you don't have a phono input, but have an AUX input on your receiver you would then need a phono stage to hook into that AUX input.

Sullen

Is there a good place to find those players used? The new ones are quite expensive (300 to 500 bucks) but used ones seem like bullshit/scams on ebay. Like 40-50 bucks which is a huge price difference.

joelseph

Got my 2 SL-1200 M3Ds this past week, no idea why I ever sold my original 2. Paid too much for them but what can you expect when the best turntable is not being made anymore.

Here is one with the new Supreme Cuts 10'' on Small Plates

H7SWG.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Just posted this on the Gaming side in this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370360. Hope it's okay to spam here too.

We just announced this

SHATTER® SOUNDTRACK GETS LIMITED EDITION VINYL RELEASE
Pre-orders now available for acclaimed soundtrack on vinyl

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – November 3, 2011 – Console developer Sidhe announced today the highly acclaimed soundtrack from their award winning game, Shatter, will be available on vinyl as an exclusive limited edition release. Musician extraordinaire, Jeramiah “Module” Ross, has edited and remastered his original soundtrack for vinyl to ensure the highest quality reproduction and a superior listening experience.

“It is really great to hear the quality that this format gives you straight off the bat,” said Ross, who continues to work with Sidhe on other projects “I have edited the core Shatter music tracks and re-mastered them via Abbey Road Studios at the highest possible audio settings for you all to enjoy. Big thanks for all the support, awards and many fans from the last two years”.

Featuring 10 remastered tracks, a 300gsm 12” matte laminate stock sleeve with spot UV gloss overprint, and distinctive translucent blue 12” vinyl, this individually numbered and signed limited edition album is a must have for any game collector, music enthusiast or vinyl addict. Purchasers of the vinyl album will also receive an immediate download of original 13-track album, and a Steam download code for Shatter on PC delivered separately. The album can be ordered from http://sidhe.bandcamp.com/

Shatter is available for PS3 and PC via PlayStation®Network and Steam. More information about Shatter can be found at www.shattergame.com

Giant image ahoy

187262934-1.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_2927.jpg

Got a hold of Talk Talk's Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden tonight, making my modest collection of vinyl feel nearly complete. There are only a handful of other albums I'm reeeally looking to pick up now.

oracrest

QgDfZ.jpg

Just grab this from a street vendor in Harlem. My uncle put me on to him years ago. I guess is time start my Al Di Meola collection then.

How do you like that album? I am only really familiar with Electric REndezvous, which I love.

A few years ago, my girlfriend took me to see him perform for my birthday. Incredible show! and front row seats.

I am curious about his work, but he seems to have just TONS of albums out there....

Prez

Has anyone melted vinyl records to shape them into other objects? I have plenty of worthless records, so I might try making some vinyl bowls.

I'm a total vinyl noob, so here goes nothing. Friends of the family gave me a Sony PS-LX210, and I've done some researching and found that it isn't very good. Now, when I listen to records on my headphones (ATH-M50s) it sounds pretty great, but if this is a low tier turn table then I can't even imagine how the upper ones must sound.

I was thinking about upgrading to something new and have been looking at the Audio-Technica AT-LP60, it seems like it is quality for its price. Now I have a few questions:

Is this turntable a worthy upgrade?
What do I need to buy as well? I figure some sort of amplifier for my headphones (I don't intend on using speakers). If so, any recommendations (for an affordable price)?

Also, one of my new records, Machinedrum's Room(s) skips on the 1st and 7th track. I searched and found that records could get warped or damaged during shipping. My other records play fine. Any cleaning suggestions? I don't really know what to do as I am so new to this.

Thanks for any input.

Top Bottom