• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

We're not looking to compete with Discogs. We're a different kind of site. Discogs is great if you know exactly what you're looking for (especially if what you're looking for is rare). We want to be a site that specializes in browsing for vinyl. Our original idea for the site was that it needs to feel like we're emulating the experience of crate digging.

We're a very small team doing this for sheer love of the hobby rather than a profit. We're nowhere near feature complete, but I think what we've managed to build so far is a solid foundation.

Discogs is amazing for browsing for vinyl though. Looks extremely similar to your grid, only with a few million more entries and much better filtering options.
http://www.discogs.com/?layout=big

Bandcamp has this "browsing" feature too, with the added bonus that most artists/labels on bandcamp are pretty small so it's much more fun to explore for gems instead of just looking at the same mainstream releases every record store carries.
https://bandcamp.com/?g=all&s=top&f=vinyl&w=-1#discover

And then don't forget and there's already hundreds of other "online storefront"-style sites that do the same thing, albeit I don't know of too many that are for vinyl only.
for example: http://www.storenvy.com/shop/category/music-vinyl/

Really don't mean to be a dick, I just don't think there's a huge demand for new vinyl marketplaces since there's so already many great options now. Your site looks nice and solid though so I wish you luck!

kris.

Banned
10487240_10201398332159149_8976138255199642652_n.jpg

got this baby in the mail today. new United Nations album spread out across 2 7"s, a 10", and a cassette all in a handy boxset. hand-numbered, limited to 1000. yes lawd.

So I've collected a few sci-fi movie soundtracks from the 60's/70's/80's with the purpose of displaying them.
692P8Ny.jpg

wKAbCpo.jpg

Any recommendations to flesh this collection out a bit more? I was considering the first two Star Trek motion picture soundtracks. Good album art is a plus.

Tedesco!

So I've collected a few sci-fi movie soundtracks from the 60's/70's/80's with the purpose of displaying them.
692P8Ny.jpg

wKAbCpo.jpg

Any recommendations to flesh this collection out a bit more? I was considering the first two Star Trek motion picture soundtracks. Good album art is a plus.

What frames are you using?

reggie186

Latest pick ups. Really digging the Jenny Lewis album. And had to pick up The Suburbs to prep for seeing Arcade Fire next week. Excite!

How country is the new Jenny Lewis album? I really dug her stuff with the Watson Twins but didn't really care much for the lead single on this album.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Superior Viaduct's Solaris reissues (there are multiple covers available) and their Stalker/The Mirror reissue

John Carpenter's been treated exceptionally well by Death Waltz: They Live, The Fog, Prince of Darkness, among others

Wendy Carlos' Tron and Jerry Goldsmith's Outland are quite enjoyable and reasonably cheap

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
went a little crazy today. nothing better than spending the afternoon digging through bins for new records.

img_0530i2uvu.jpg

Fortress - s/t

img_0531jcuhr.jpg

Molly Drake - s/t

img_0533x8uz5.jpg

A Winged Victory for the Sullen - ATOMOS

img_0534y4uf8.jpg

10cc - The Original Soundtrack

img_0535xiu62.jpg

Inca Ore - brute nature versus wild magic

img_053624u01.jpg

Churches - The Bones of What You Believe

img_0537drum3.jpg

Black Sabbath - Masters of Reality

img_05400bulf.jpg

Yukihiro Takahashi - Neuromantic

big ander

Lewis Found
Randall Wulff is alive. Living and breathing and content, simply playing his music in the comfort of his own home, with a girlfriend and some kittens by his side.

For two and a half years, we searched and searched, and all signs led to Lewis as being a man no longer with us. Then last week, out of the blue, an old friend from Randall’s past got in touch, mentioning that he saw Randy in Canada last year. Hours later, Jack Fleischer and I booked two plane tickets and headed to Canada on the hunt.

Feeling deflated after 48 hours of tirelessly searching, we suddenly spotted him in plain sight. We found him looking calm, cool and collected, sitting outside a little neighborhood coffee shop drinking a large hot coffee. He looked great just sitting there basking in the summer sun with his classic blond hair, white shorts, white, billowy dress shirt (confidently unbuttoned to the navel), shiny white tennis shoes, and a wooden cane, which he cited was from a recent accident, but he seemed to walk fine. He had that undeniable charm of some golden-era Hollywood actor.

Randy had no idea about the recent interest in his old records and didn’t seem to care in the slightest. We had a check for him but he wasn’t interested. We brought him CDs and LPs of L’Amour. He took a look, impressed (“nice”), and smiled, recalling a number of positive stories from back in the day. Then handed back the CD, saying it was for us and kindly declined keeping it. Randy simply wanted to look forward with both his life and music and had no interest in any celebrity or financial gain having to do with the albums. He told us over and over again, “That was a long time ago” and that we should “have a ball” with the reissues. When we mentioned that we’d been looking for him for years, he was surprised, responding that he’s been right there all along and shops for groceries at his neighborhood store.

After a half hour chatting about his musical past, he signed a couple copies of L’Amour (as “Lewis”) and said, “I wish you guys all the best. I’m not looking back. I’m doing stuff now that’s taken me forty, fifty years to write. I’m not looking into coin. I’m not looking into anything. I’m just strumming my guitar. I just wish you guys all the best in the world.”

In respect to Randall, we’ve decided that once our CD/LP stock runs out, we won’t be repressing L’Amour or Romantic Times–until he tells us differently. It doesn’t feel right collecting money from his art and him not sharing in it regardless of how incredibly positive he was about the entire thing. The royalties will continue to be set aside into an escrow in case he ever wants them.

In 2014, with the instant gratification of information at our fingertips and every mystery solved within seconds, this is a rare and beautiful thing. The man seems to be at peace, so respecting his privacy is most important. And in closing, we are aware of the small percentage of people that believe this whole thing to be a hoax. Looking at the twelve-year history of our label, anyone would see that we would never do such a thing to betray people’s trust. We, like many of you, find so many parts of this story to be beyond belief, but after this meeting with Randall, we can say that sometimes truth truly is stranger than fiction.

Definitely feels likes well made up BS. The internet has also killed any sense of believability the world once held. Could go either way

Yeah, these records wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular as they were if it wasn't for the Lewis mystery. What's more plausible, that this is made up BS to sell records OR these really are obscure records from the 80s that no one listened to, one was unearthed, released, but no one could find out who this Lewis person was even in the day of the internet, and then they coincidentally found a second album a few years later? Oh and now they finally meet him? And he's completely unaware of his popularity? But now they're not reprinting any of his records ....so buy them now!!
I dunno... I want to believe it's true, but I think they heard about Vashti Bunyan or someone like that, and took it up a notch.

wenis

Even if it is bogus it's still one hell of a story and way to sell a record that people seemingly love (even if some of it seems overly dramatized and a bit much, but that's a whole other discussion about taste and enjoying something either because of the zeitgeist or genuinely enjoying it. Or is it one in the same?). I haven't taken the time to check it out myself, but I can understand the unique experience this record must be with all this backstory wrapped around it.

A good aura of mystery never hurts (Tool, death grips, daft punk, gwar or GY!BE).

Hah, every day the Lewis story reeks more like bullshit.

What a heartwarming tale.

Oh we found the master himself and he was just cool but we decided not to repress these highly hyped records because reasons but wait a minute now there's a copy on ebay for 50 bucks

wenis

So tell me about Fortress. They look metal.
They are pretty god damn metal. They're a San Francisco Metal outfit. Sound like a Bane/Post Punk/ Iron Maiden / Kill em All style of metal. Still young and having fun vs getting super over the top serious with the shredding or technique.

http://friendsoffortress.com

The vinyl itself is quite nice. Good pressing job and it looks great in its ruby red blood vinyl. That cover alone was worth the price.

Flynn

They are pretty god damn metal. They're a San Francisco Metal outfit. Sound like a Bane/Post Punk/ Iron Maiden / Kill em All style of metal. Still young and having fun vs getting super over the top serious with the shredding or technique.

http://friendsoffortress.com

The vinyl itself is quite nice. Good pressing job and it looks great in its ruby red blood vinyl. That cover alone was worth the price.

Sweet. Thanks for the link. I couldn't sort them out from all the other Fortresses on Discogs.

EDIT: Haha when you said SF I had a feeling they'd be an Aquarius band.

EDIT 2: On first lesson I get a Doomriders vibe -- like they've got some hardcore in their blood. Good stuff.

big ander

I'm in LA for a few more days. There are a ton of record stores here and I usually check them out at random. What are your favorites?
Having only been here for a couple months: amoeba is kinda the standby and they have a ton of current stuff, but it's kinda too big and crowded to comfortably just browse. Atomic has some cool curios and is fun to browse at as long as you're into flipping through jazz and soundtracks and old rock. Permanent I've only been able to go to shortly but it seemed like a good place

Erekiddo

I've settled into my current setup for a while, but I don't know anyone in person who is a vinyl enthusiast as much as I am. Could I get feedback on my setup, and/or any recommendations on how to get it to sound better? This is my first time doing a setup, so I'm always worried I've made some grave error and hooked something up wrong.

Turntable:
Pro-ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Blue

Receiver:
Marantz PM5004

Sub:
Polk Audio PSW505

Speakers:
2x Energy RC-10
2x Infintiy Primus P163

I have one set of speakers going through the sub and the other set hooked into the back of the receiver itself. I have the bass on the receiver turned down quite a bit and have a lot of the bass coming through the sub itself.

Is this the correct way of doing things? In hindsight, it feels the Polk Audio sub is a bit of overkill, considering I'm in an apartment.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

^^ How do you like that setup? I plan to pick up the same tt and receiver for my game room shortly. Not sure about your sub/receiver bass question. Four speaker setup seems kind of odd.

Erekiddo

I highly recommend the Carbon Debut and Marantz. Sounds great!

I actually got the second set of speakers for dirt cheap, and since my receiver would support another pair, I threw them on. I imagine it isn't making a considerable difference either way.

nitewulf

why do you have four speakers for a decidedly stereo source? anyway your weak points in that setup are the amplifier and speakers, depending on which strata of quality you are aiming to get.

wenis

Pick two of the best speakers out of that lot and leave the last two for replacement. You don't need all those hooked up.

Personally I like a nice flat soundstage so tune your settings appropriately.

Erekiddo

Thank you for the advice! I've disconnected the Energy and kept the Infinity ones going through the sub.

Perhaps I'll grab an Orbit turntable and necessary components to use these speakers and surprise my girlfriend for Christmas.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
went a little crazy today. nothing better than spending the afternoon digging through bins for new records.

img_05400bulf.jpg

Yukihiro Takahashi - Neuromantic

I grabbed a promo copy of this a couple weeks ago for a couple bucks at Half Price Books, a really neat album!

wenis

I grabbed a promo copy of this a couple weeks ago for a couple bucks at Half Price Books, a really neat album!

yea it was great. one of the owners of the shop I frequent was really excited that I had picked that one out. Finally got to listening to it this weekend and it was awesome. crazy synth sounds with some moody cure/depeche mode style of vocals. its a keeper.

8bit

Knows the Score
Got my Jurassic Park today, and it's the coloured vinyl version so I don't feel so bad about missing the amber version now. Also got Blood Dragon & FKA twigs LP1 special edition with bonus 7" so a vinyltastic evening ahead.

140817_14_zpsd46055e8.png

140817_15_zps79e914bb.png

140817_16_zpsa94d33d1.png

140817_17_zps646c3264.png

tricot from Japan. Excellent band, try them out! They actually run their own label. Side note, haven't received a modern 7" so far that needed the 45 adapter.

Just wanted to let you all know about a very Mondo-esque give away that we're doing on our website. We're giving away The Laze's interpretation of the soundtrack for the original 1925 Phantom of The Opera film. It's a limited edition printing of the album with beautiful artwork, and clear vinyl with black and white splatter. You can enter our giveaway here. The artwork is below.

omgkitty

Just wanted to let you all know about a very Mondo-esque give away that we're doing on our website. We're giving away The Laze's interpretation of the soundtrack for the original 1925 Phantom of The Opera film. It's a limited edition printing of the album with beautiful artwork, and clear vinyl with black and white splatter. You can enter our giveaway here. The artwork is below.

That artwork is absolutely outstanding.

Top Bottom