• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

clip

Oh my.
14439854775_faaf20b2f7_c.jpg

amnesiac

Go to Urban Outfitters! They have a $9.99 sale. (A lot of of them do, at least)

I picked up:

Elliott Smith - XO
Pavement - Slanted And Enchanted
Wilco - Summerteeth
Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
Blur - Blur
Volcano Choir - Repave (white exclusive)

All for $9.99 each!

Steamlord

Stuff I've acquired over the last few months

all five Microphones reissues

Spiderland box set

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Stereolab - Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements
Clinic - Internal Wrangler
St. Vincent - s/t + gold triangle single
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Juju
Brian Eno & David Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts

Go to Urban Outfitters! They have a $9.99 sale. (A lot of of them do, at least)

I picked up:

Elliott Smith - XO
Pavement - Slanted And Enchanted
Wilco - Summerteeth
Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
Blur - Blur
Volcano Choir - Repave (white exclusive)

All for $9.99 each!

Oh man, sweet deals! I probably spent 40 dollars on Summerteeth alone when it got reissued a few years ago :\

I'm a vinyl noob, and I have a very small collection. I'm starting to get more and more into collecting vinyls. Anyone know where I can get the Spiderland box set besides Amazon?

pablito

haven't posted in a minute. some recent pickups, some not so recent

demilich - 20th adversary of emptiness. includes nespithe, some old demos, a couple of newly recorded (but written some years ago iirc) songs, a poster of the black and white gatefold, sticker, and a book of lyrics, interviews etc.
dlOgDGN.jpg
409ZLdD.jpg

S20lBlZ.jpg
tPT2ZUn.jpg

08CQsmr.jpg

swans - to be kind. my aoty so far. so good.
JvrIqvf.jpg
Oozi65C.jpg

madvillain - madvillainy
raekwon - only built 4 cuban linx. no art unfortunately.
L3sVpre.jpg

got a few more i'll post later

pablito

the rest of my recent pickups

got these for a dollar each hells yeah
JFSrohC.jpg

I4SIPAP.jpg

EOQKVID.jpg

M8dhRVr.jpg

16 horsepower - sackcloth n ashes
rCmuTOu.jpg

infernal stronghold - godless noise
nRBOKUd.jpg

Ultima_5

i just got a cheapo record player and ordered a bunch of ska band vinyls to test the waters.

i decided i needed another hobby to clutter my apartment with

haven't posted in a minute. some recent pickups, some not so recent

demilich - 20th adversary of emptiness. includes nespithe, some old demos, a couple of newly recorded (but written some years ago iirc) songs, a poster of the black and white gatefold, sticker, and a book of lyrics, interviews etc.
dlOgDGN.jpg
409ZLdD.jpg

S20lBlZ.jpg
tPT2ZUn.jpg

08CQsmr.jpg

wtffffff, I must have missed a Demilich re-release. Where did you get this?

My recent pick up, Perturbator - Dangerous Days

XAiJXEA.jpg

pablito

wtffffff, I must have missed a Demilich re-release. Where did you get this?

Svart records had the preorders up late last year. Delivered back in February. Some people are selling the green version on discogs for 80 bucks, which was the price of the box set new.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
6gjU2EI.jpg

Some recent stuff. Wish Ready To Die had the original cover. The Pearl Jam was not as great as I remembered. Burn Your Fire album of the year so far.

Y'all get your Lewises? Mine came yesterday.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Borgie, you live in the PNW? Everybody that has gotten their Lewisessses seems to be in the area since that's where Light in the Attic is shipping from.

I had to cancel my preorder because the shipping date fell during a move, and at the time I wasn't sure what my new address would be. Maybe I'll bus up to the LITA shop on Friday and see if they've got some copies to buy there. Really wanted a red one, but those are long gone...

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Southern California, still best coast though so it makes sense. Great packaging too, the box had like, support struts in it.

Bumhead

Banned
How do you guys handle storage?

Starting a collection and just wondering. Standard shelving units and book cases generally OK?

Starting a collection and just wondering. Standard shelving units and book cases generally OK?

Yes, as long as they are sturdy, records tend to weight alot. Expedit is the usual "go to" shelving:

expedit.jpg

But that said, I really wanted an Expedit until I actually owned one: Way too shallow without a stopper and browsing is a bitch. Great for storage though. Now I am rocking three sets of Lundia

lundia-kitset-plus-1-shelf.jpg

Shiv47

Whatever is sized correctly and strong enough to hold your collection, really. Ikea made a great unit that they discontinued a short time ago (the Expedit series, RIP), but they have a new unit (Kallax series) that is also perfectly sized for records (albeit the largest one is not as big as previous - 4x4 vs 5x5). That's what I use. I just bought the biggest Kallax unit as I'd filled my Expedit.

Anyone have those records on your discogs whant list that you really want and arnt outrageously priced that you just dont buy?

Finally picked up one of them £19 for a two track EP is steep but sod it Skeng is worth it.

R-1067932-1344375185-9116.jpeg

pablito

Yeah I bought a coveted, very expensive record. Right now it goes for $150-200 but i saw it for 60 and instantly bought it.

Shiv47

Nice one thanks guys.

Just had a look and probably order 2 of these to sit side by side? These are the jobbies right? I do remember Expedit as my brother had a huge TV unit from that range. By the looks of it they've directly replaced that line with Kallax.

http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/40275813/

Yeah, just buy whatever configuration suits your needs. It's basically the same as the expedit, aside from slightly thinner, or so I've read. Ikea says it will be just as sturdy as the expedits.

Bumhead

Banned
Had a good rummage through my Mums record collection earlier. She hasn't listened to them for years and has sold the vast majority of it. Out of the remains I managed to pick out:

Nirvana - Nevermind
Quadrophenia Soundtrack
The Beatles - 1967/1970 (Blue)
ELO - Out of the Blue
New Order - Run 2
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Depeche Mode - Violator
Pet Shop Boys - Actually
New Order - Technique
Diana Ross & The Supremes - 20 Golden Greats
Blondie - Parallel Lines
The John Lennon Collection
Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches
The Charlatans - Some Friendly
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta
The Human League - Greatest Hits
The Cult - Love
Inspiral Carpets - Life
Michael Jackson - Thriller
R.E.M. - Green

Pretty rogue assortment but happy with that as a starting point.

Pretty funny actually that some still have the price stickers on from when she originally bought them. Dark Side of the Moon cost her £3. Sure as shit it would cost me a fair bit more than that now..

8bit

Knows the Score
Had a good rummage through my Mums record collection earlier. She hasn't listened to them for years and has sold the vast majority of it. Out of the remains I managed to pick out:

Nirvana - Nevermind
Quadrophenia Soundtrack
The Beatles - 1967/1970 (Blue)
ELO - Out of the Blue
New Order - Run 2
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Depeche Mode - Violator
Pet Shop Boys - Actually
New Order - Technique
Diana Ross & The Supremes - 20 Golden Greats
Blondie - Parallel Lines
The John Lennon Collection
Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches
The Charlatans - Some Friendly
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta
The Human League - Greatest Hits
The Cult - Love
Inspiral Carpets - Life
Michael Jackson - Thriller
R.E.M. - Green

Pretty rogue assortment but happy with that as a starting point.

Pretty funny actually that some still have the price stickers on from when she originally bought them. Dark Side of the Moon cost her £3. Sure as shit it would cost me a fair bit more than that now..

That's a weird mix, mostly late 80s indie but Beatles, Floyd & Supremes are a bit out of place. Maybe she inherited some of those?

Bumhead

Banned
That's a weird mix, mostly late 80s indie but Beatles, Floyd & Supremes are a bit out of place. Maybe she inherited some of those?

Nah they're all hers. She listens to a pretty wide variety of stuff. Some of the stuff I left behind and a lot of the stuff she sold stretches a lot wider than that.

I'm kind of the same. There's nothing in there I won't listen to, hence why I picked it out, but I'll obviously start taking it in some different directions as I add my own bits in.

number11

I look forward to being a few minutes late on this sale and missing out on it completely.

There's 5 different versions. One of the variants is likely to be a comic con exclusive. 3-4 of the others should be pretty easy to get.

The amber edition of Jurassic Park has been the only difficult Mondo LP to buy.

edit: turns out all 5 will be sold at SDCC :(

Looks like one of my favorite albums of all time is being re-released. Cocteau Twins, "Heaven or Las Vegas," is out now by 4AD. I wanted to ask if anyone has any knowledge or has the new release, if it is remastered or just reprinted? Is there much difference from the original release?

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you guys all know about a site that I'm involved with.

We're a brand new online marketplace for vinyl records. The best way that I can explain what we're doing, is that we're like Ebay for vinyl and every record has a "Buy It Now" option.

The site is going to launch later today, but you can sign up for our beta newsletter right now and be informed the minute that we go live.

Also, for those coming to Pitchfork this weekend come see our booth at the CHIRP record fair.

Sorry for the shameless promotion.

BenN

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you guys all know about a site that I'm involved with.....

Sweet, singed up for the mailing list - I hope this takes off!
An alternative to discogs/ebay is welcome (or at least another place to seek out wanted records and sell some too).

Also I hope this will be international friendly...ie welcomes sellers and buyers worldwide.

Also I hope this will be international friendly...ie welcomes sellers and buyers worldwide.

It will be, in due time. We're a very small startup.Once the beta opens up and we've gotten some feedback from our users, and worked out the kinks, then we'll start to look into expanding to an international market.

BenN

It will be, in due time. We're a very small startup.Once the beta opens up and we've gotten some feedback from our users, and worked out the kinks, then we'll start to look into expanding to an international market.

Oh, so not right away. Guess I will keep an eye out for when this happens then.

big ander

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you guys all know about a site that I'm involved with.

We're a brand new online marketplace for Vinyl records. The best way that I can explain what we're doing, is that we're like Ebay for vinyl and every record has a "Buy It Now" option.

The site is going to launch later today, but you can sign up for our beta newsletter right now and be informed the minute that we go live.

Also, for those coming to Pitchfork this weekend come see our booth at the CHIRP record fair.

Sorry for the shameless promotion.
not in an accusatory way but out of genuine curiosity: what's going to set it apart from, say, discogs? that it's sometimes an auction system? hooks up buyers and sellers in a different fashion? just looks better and cleaner?

not in an accusatory way but out of genuine curiosity: what's going to set it apart from, say, discogs? that it's sometimes an auction system? hooks up buyers and sellers in a different fashion? just looks better and cleaner?

Although we plan to implement a "make an offer" option there is no bidding to speak of.

The big differentiator for buyers on top of looking better and cleaner, is that it's easier to find stuff. There are no endlessly long lists containing slight variations of the same record. Our goal is to try and emulate the experience of browsing for records at your local shop as best as we can. We even have Spotify playlists for every record that is available on that service. So you can try it before you buy it.

For sellers, we're less expensive than everyone else. We don't charge any listing fees and our seller fee is half of that of Discogs and a third of that of EBay. It's also really quick and easy to make a listing. New records take seconds to list, while used LPs take a bit longer depending on how descriptive you wanna get with the grading.

Top Bottom