• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Ghibli's best film is Spirited Away, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

addik

tumblr_nnmw5wLwJq1rb1rgoo10_250.gif

tumblr_nnmw5wLwJq1rb1rgoo7_250.gif

tumblr_nnmw5wLwJq1rb1rgoo4_250.gif

Man, I'd kill for animated DVD covers like these. Great job!

To all those who haven't watched Princess Kaguya, you should definitely watch it. I actually think it's as emotionally heavy as watching Grave of the Fireflies. I didn't cry watching both films, but I felt really depressed afterwards.

I don't really like to rank stuff, but that, Spirited Away, and Whisper of the Heart are my favorite Ghibli films I think. It's really hard to pull off a "favorite" when all these films are excellent in their own ways. Of course, some films don't match as well as the others, but they're still really good films.

Clov

Personally it's not in my top three. My favorites are Princess Kaguya, Only Yesterday, and Princess Mononoke, with Porco Rosso closely behind.

Fjordson

Princess Kaguya is great. Maybe my favourite non-Miyazaki film from Ghibli. Though I haven't seen Ocean Waves or Only Yesterday yet.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Grave of the Fireflies actually might technically be the best, but fuck me I don't ever wanna watch that film again!

I also really like Grave of the Fireflies even though it's not really a fun movie.

At first I read the thread as the best Miyazaki movie and thought "Porco Rosso", but then doing a bit of introspection, Ghibli's best movie has to be Grave of the Fireflies. It's probably the most powerful animated movie I've seen in terms of lasting impact: once you've seen it, it's impossible to forget. Miyazaki wish he ever did something as meaningful. The movie is the perfect antithesis to his feel-good approach in term of tone and narrative.
Basically, it is a story that could and surely has happened in this world. That makes me really sad.

To all those who haven't watched Princess Kaguya, you should definitely watch it. I actually think it's as emotionally heavy as watching Grave of the Fireflies. I didn't cry watching both films, but I felt really depressed afterwards.

Kaguya came close but wasn't nearly as soul-crushing IMO. It's art though is superb. Super underrated movie, even among Ghibli fans.

Turin

Banned
I want to do a Ghibli binge at some point. I adore what I've seen but I probably haven't seen half of them.

AlexM

For me it's nausicaa and then it's very hard to pick what's next. so much good stuff

this thread has triggered an urge to do a ghibli marathon this weekend

The nausicaa soundtrack is so good.

javac

not having the luxury of timely releases certainly sounds like something that would happen to a pleb :(

But the UK gets Ghibli releases before the US does by a county mile! We got Mononoke and Sprited Away last year! Kiki two years ago same with Porco! :p How's the Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves DVD's treating you? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom