• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Ghibli's best film is Spirited Away, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I consider Mononoke to be their strongest film. Spirited Away is pretty good, but I'd place a number of other Ghibli/Miyazaki films above it as well, such as The Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, Laputa, and several others. I've yet to see their last three films though, so my rankings will likely change even further.

Cwarrior

Nope Pom poko aka super raccon balls 3 is the best anime movie I've seen and I've seen a ton.

pompoko2.jpg

there useing there nut sacks to fly man

No joke it's shockingly beautiful & wonderful movie theres a lot more to it then tanuki balls.

I loved Spirited Away, it was my introduction to Studio Ghibli's movies. It was also my dad's introduction as well, hell I remember before he saw Spirited Away, we had a newspaper in our house with a review of Princess Mononoke in it and my dad thought it was some crappy anime movie. Its funny because now he's a big fan of Miyazaki's movies and Spirited Away got him on the bandwagon.

sphagnum

Banned
I loved Spirited Away, it was my introduction to Studio Ghibli's movies. It was also my dad's introduction as well, hell I remember before he saw Spirited Away, we had a newspaper in our house with a review of Princess Mononoke in it and my dad thought it was some crappy anime movie. Its funny because now he's a big fan of Miyazaki's movies and Spirited Away got him on the bandwagon.

This just reminds me of when I made my dad drive me to the movies to see Spirited Away, since I was 12 or 13 at the time that it came out in the US. I give him credit for putting up with it because he doesn't like animation and can't really see past the "cartoons are for kids" thing that's been drilled into him for decades. When I asked him what he thought of it he just said "It was like a Japanese Alice in Wonderland, right? I didn't really get it."

Thanks anyway dad, I loved it.

I just watched all of Miyazaki's films for the first time over the course of a few weeks. Finished a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed all of them and they are all good to great films. I have no nostalgia for any of these. I'd rank them like this...

1a. Nausicaa
1b. Mononoke
3. Castle in the Sky
4. Spirited Away
5. Howl's Moving Castle
6. Kiki's Delivery Service
7. Porco Rosso
8. Castle of Cagliostro
9. Ponyo
10. My Neighbor Totoro
11. Wind Rises

I feel confident in my top 5 being my top 5, but even having just watched all of these right next to each other for the first time, 6-11 gets real muddy. They are just all so close together.
It is time for me to move on to other Ghibli films (though I did already watch Grave of the Fireflies.)

DJ_Lae

I can get behind it being their best. It's up there with Totoro and Porco Rosso for me as far as sheer fun goes. Castle in the Sky too. And Kiki and Whisper of the Heart are charming.

Mononoke is a good movie too but it's a bit dire to watch all that often. I think I almost prefer Nausicaa, which has a similar theme.

Cat Returns, Pom Poko, The Yamadas and Earthsea are the only ones I don't particularly like. Though I guess The Yamadas isn't really a movie - I saw someone say the comic it's based on is basically Japan's Family Circus...and that essentially summarizes the movie for me. The humour is trite and dull, and getting through that thing even once was a chore.

Pom Poko is paced weirdly and has way too much narration, The Cat Returns feels like direct to video sequel (was it?), and Earthsea is fantastically void of anything.

I think with kaguya, howl, mononoke, nausicaa, marnie, laputa and sen you have such high quality that it is not possible to say one is better then the other aside of personal preferences. However Marnie should be in any top 5 of ghibli films

daniels

My favorite is Laputa castle in the sky the movie kinda feels like a old school jrpg without having anything to do with jrpg :D

Decado

Princess Mononoke by far

Then nausicaa, porco and totoro.

I miss 80's and 90's ghibli ;_; Spirited Away was the last film of theirs I liked at all.

Takahata's movies are really underrated.

In them run deep currents of cultural significance, sensitivity and philosophy. Miyazaki's films are mainly pure escapism, thus more entertaining. Takahata is looking for something else, and his films may be more important for the casual moviegoer, but they feel more important.

luxsol

huh, strange how Howl's Moving Castle is so high on the list now when... like a decade ago, GAF had it near the bottom.

So many new people and it feels good that other people here think it's also good!

Anyway, I don't like Spirited Away much. It's ok. Middle ranking for me.

PS, Only Yesterday bestest.

cj_iwakura

Princess Mononoke for me, followed by Whisper of the Heart, Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, and Castle in the Sky. I wasn't a big fan of Spirited Away.

May16

Hard to beat Nausicaa for me.

But I'd put Spirited Away right in the mix. It's that, Nausicaa, or Howl's Moving Castle. The Wind Rises was all kinds of good too.

Damn, so many good ones.

I haven't seen that many Ghibli movies, to be honest ( i have been to the Ghibli museum in Tokyo Mitaka, though... ;) )

Peronally, I would put SA at the very end of my list, together with Totoro.

SA is a beautiful movie, but for me it feels a bit too confusing at times.

1. Nausicaa
2. Mononoke
3. Totoro / Spirited Away

Huh, I don't actually remember Earthsea being that bad. Then again, I did see it when I was a teen, and now that I think about it along with Ponyo it's the only Ghibli movie I've only seen once...

Hmm...

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I love seeing how different everyone's list is, and it's no surprise my top two (Spirited and Mononoke) are many other people's #1. I'm also happy to see how many people love the underappreciated Howl's! :)

However... Ponyo being among many people's "least favorite" when Earthsea and Pom Poko exist?

IHjW1rN.gif

smh that movie is so charming and the animation is stunning. It's like a children's storybook brought to life but in a way that all ages can enjoy.

Pagusas

Elden Member
huh, strange how Howl's Moving Castle is so high on the list now when... like a decade ago, GAF had it near the bottom.

So many new people and it feels good that other people here think it's also good!

Anyway, I don't like Spirited Away much. It's ok. Middle ranking for me.

PS, Only Yesterday bestest.

Never trust Gaf's initial hive mind opinion, usually its wrong by a large margin. Howl's Castle is by far the most divisive film in the catelogue, I personally feel its one of the top films in my life, others hate it. I'm glad to see a lot of people in here giving it love. Even if people dislike the plot I think its easy to admit it being one of, if not the most beautiful film produced by Studio Ghibli. Also its me and my wife's favorite soundtrack. She walked down the aisle to it :D

Really hard for me to rank Miyazaki and Takahata against each other.

My Neighbor Totoro doesn't have enough love in this thread. It takes a hell of a filmmaker to make a movie that literally does not have a conflict of any kind for most of its running time, and yet is enthralling. Everything in Totoro is an encounter, not a fight; an experience, not a trial. The movie does not need conflict; it has peace instead. Just magical.

My Neighbor Totoro doesn't have enough love in this thread. It takes a hell of a filmmaker to make a movie that literally does not have a conflict of any kind for most of its running time, and yet is enthralling. Everything in Totoro is an encounter, not a fight; an experience, not a trial. The movie does not need conflict; it has peace instead. Just magical.

I wanted to say what it was that I really enjoyed about Totoro earlier but couldn't find the words, this here pretty much nails it though.

Pagusas

Elden Member

I'd agree with it... except the movie doesnt do this, instead ending with a conflict/trial and breaks down the whole thing.

Basically I find Totoro to be 2/3 of a good movie, but the last 3rd is grating for the exact reasons you listed as a positive, it does so much to be "not your typical movie" and yet ends by being a typical movie, very disappointing.

I'd agree with it... except the movie doesnt do this, instead ending with a conflict/trial and breaks down the whole thing.

Basically I find Totoro to be 2/3 of a good movie, but the last 3rd is grating for the exact reasons you listed as a positive, it does so much to be "not your typical movie" and yet ends by being a typical movie, very disappointing.

I suppose that's a disappointment. At least it doesn't break it's cardinal rule, though, and introduce fear of the supernatural or otherworldly. The conflict in the end is a specific, realistic fear: a child afraid of losing her mother to sickness. The forest and the Totoros remain perfectly benign, and help replace the fear with happiness and wisdom. So while I suppose it becomes conventional in that it eventually gives in and acquires a conflict, it at least remains atypical for a movie about an encounter between precocious children and magical beings.

Yazuka

My favorites are The Cat Returns and Howl's Moving Castle. I find all the other Gibli movies I watched to be quite boring and uninteresting. Very unpopular opinion.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I suppose that's a disappointment. At least it doesn't break it's cardinal rule, though, and introduce fear of the supernatural or otherworldly. The conflict in the end is a specific, realistic fear: a child afraid of losing her mother to sickness. The forest and the Totoros remain perfectly benign, and help replace the fear with happiness and wisdom. So while I suppose it becomes conventional in that it eventually gives in and acquires a conflict, it at least remains atypical for a movie about an encounter between precocious children and magical beings.

Yep, still absolutely love the film. My wife will often hum its theme song every now and then.

Apt101

I think Spirited Away may be the most technically sound and has a message that resonates most strongly with most viewers (particularly people who may have only recently lost their innocence and aged out of childhood).

But personally I prefer Princess Mononoke given its story, themes, and characters (I'm a conservationist). I even like Ponyo slightly more for it's vivid imagery of the ocean and the people and places associated with it, its creativity, and the pure innocence of it all.

Gazoinks

Good movie, but I think it has some pacing issues. I'd rate Kaguya, Mononoke, and Lupin (it counts!) above it. I really need to rewatch some of the other Ghibli movies I haven''t seen in a while.

For the record, I saw Wind Rises a few days ago and didn't like it at all.

e: Oh, and I do like Howl's. It's definitely messy, but it has a great sense of whimsy, and some pretty neat ideas.

LuuKyK

One of the biggest struggles in my life is to actually rank the Ghibli movies. lol

I honestly like them all for different reasons. Even the Yamadas one which is very different from the rest I kind of enjoyed.

I mean, I found enjoyment in Tales from Earthsea. :X

But I came to the conclusion that nothing ever surpassed Spirited Away for me. Its just magical. Other ones I really like is Castle in the Sky, Kiki, Kaguya, Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies.

bengraven

Really happy to see a lot of love for Howl's. Never understood why some people were vocally against it when it came out. I adored the world, the characters, even bought the books and they're almost better. Almost.

1. Spirited Away
2. Nausicaa
3. My Neighbor Totoro
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. Princess Mononoke

I fixed it a bit, but you're on the right track.

papercamm

Op, your list is solid but I would swap some things in it around:
1. Spirited Away
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Nausicaa
4. The Wind Rises
5. My Neighbor Totoro
6. Castle in the Sky
7. Porco Rosso
8. Howl's Moving Castle
9. Grave of the Firelies
10. The Cat Returns
11. Ponyo
12. Kiki's Delivery Service
13. Whisper of the Heart
14. Arietty
15. Pom Poko
I omitted some because I haven't seen them, and even though Princess Mononoke is my personal favorite I cannot deny that Spirited Away is Miyazaki's magnum opus.

Nausicaa, Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke are the top three films for me. The rest just don't match up although they are still amazing films in their own right.

Fjordson

Really happy to see a lot of love for Howl's. Never understood why some people were vocally against it when it came out. I adored the world, the characters, even bought the books and they're almost better. Almost.

I fixed it a bit, but you're on the right track.
I agree about Howl's. I really enjoy it, yet I've sometimes seen in reviews / discussion that it's a step down from Miyazaki's great films. I personally feel Howl's is another one of his great works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom