• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sudeki has gone gold

IgeL

Saw this at TXB; Sudeki has gone gold and ships on July 20.

Nice. Just pre-ordered it yesterday. :)

Mock

Banned
... but it's not Japanese.

I'm uneasy trying out new things. I would feel more comfortable knowing that asian people worked on it, though I have no real grasp of their culture other than what I've seen in Love Hina and Ranma 1/2.

Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, Lunar... these games with their over-the-top storytelling, rehashed gameplay and anime design make me feel comfortable since I do my best to be alienated against people of my own western culture and the things they make.

Cool, I'm gonna pick this up. Demo wasn't mind-blowing, but then again, 95% of demos aren't...even for cool games. And I'm an ARPG whore.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Mock said:
... but it's not Japanese.

I'm uneasy trying out new things. I would feel more comfortable knowing that asian people worked on it, though I have no real grasp of their culture other than what I've seen in Love Hina and Ranma 1/2.

Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, Lunar... these games with their over-the-top storytelling, rehashed gameplay and anime design make me feel comfortable since I do my best to be alienated against people of my own western culture and the things they make.

no its not possible to hate on this pso rip off because of it being lame. it must be for some dirty underhanded japanophile reason!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I thought the demo was "Ok"
Based on the demo, I predict the game is going to get 7's and 8's.

Beacuse of Tales of Symphonia and Star Ocean 3, Sudeki will take the backseat till it reaches $20, which I have a strange feeling may be very soon.

belgurdo said:
Now that we've gotten the trolling and negativity out of the way, can't wait for this to come out
If we're right then don't say we didn't warn you. Of course things may have changed from the demo but the fundamentals were poorly designed which I'm not so sure could be reworked in such a small period of time. We'll see, I guess.

siege

Banned
Here are some new (I think) screenshots:

sudeki_guide15.jpg

sudeki_guide18.jpg

sudeki_guide23.jpg

sudeki_guide8.jpg

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Kobun Heat said:
It's shipping five days after it went gold? That doesn't sound normal...

Neither is the fact that people like this. I honestly don't understand how this game could be enjoyed by anyone.

Combat? Awful (think PSO but less fun)
Graphics? Awful (looks like a dutch gingerbread city)
Frame Rate? Awful (Deus Ex Invisibile War had smoother Frame Rates)
Script? Awful (Don't even get me started)
Character design? Don't even get me started (see left)

Bad BAD game.

Docpan

WHY would they give us a demo weeks before release that is from over a year old build??? That's insanity!

Sounds to me like you're just in denial.

I was looking forward to this one, but the demo was truly awful.

Mock

Banned
boutrosinit said:
Combat? Awful (think PSO but less fun)
Graphics? Awful (looks like a dutch gingerbread city)
Script? Awful (Don't even get me started)
Character design? Don't even get me started (see left)

Judging a game based off a demo - FUCKING RETARDED.

IgeL

I'd still want to hear other peoples' comments on the framerate. Like I've said a gazillion times, my preview build back in May didn't have big framerate problems.

Mock

Banned
boutrosinit said:
Nope. Judging it off a hands on I did a month ago. But your point would be correct if true.

A hands-on is still just early impressions, not full ones. You've already written it off and its not a great leap to assume you had done so before you put your hands on it.

u_neek

Sudeki is definetly the weakest of the three hot summer-RPGs (Sudeki, Symphonia and StarOcean 3) - but i'll buy 'em all anyway :)
Hooray

boutrosinit

Mock said:
A hands-on is still just early impressions, not full ones. You've already written it off and its not a great leap to assume you had done so before you put your hands on it.

Correct. However, in this context I played Sudeki 3 times -
E3 2003 - I found it played like PSO but with less oomph
Shortly before E3 2004 - same problems I mentioned before, but with less-consistent frame rate
Post E3 2004 - all the same issues, still no FR improvements

The first and last hands-ons were short - the first i had was 10 mins, the second a full two hours, the third 45 minutes. Each time the game did not seem to improve, bar some extra details in the backgrounds or features - like the girl character's first person view, or the combat which queues up your moves in this weird hybrid system that bears little logic or reward. For me, the most rewarding part of the game is timing the super attack into a combo, but it's so pointless from a strategic point of view, because the combat overall is so bland and badly thought out. The combos I could use when playing only differed visually, and offered no unique advantages or disadvantages to make one worth using at one time from another. This shows a poor understanding of combat dynamics in a game. Interviewing the designer afterward also showed that the design has not been led by someone who has considered these things, and is merely trying to make something he thinks is better than the generic norm. For instance, when i joked about treasure chests being left around in the town square, he defensively said that 'everyone else does it'. Not with much confidence either.

I've written it off because very little of the flawed fundamental design seems to change each time I play it. Each time I still find it flawed from every point of view I've mentioned and the game itself seems to be following a pattern of 'let's pack it with loads of ideas, but not worry about the mechanics or overall cohesion'. I find the combat pointless and flat, the characters and script unlikable and the world very inappropriately sugary looking. The puzzle gameplay later on is said to be interesting, but nothing you haven't seen before in Lost Vikings, Starfox Advnetures (not a fan of that personally, but played it a way through at least before selling it) or anything else involving one person standing on a switch, while the other stands on another switch to open a door.

Personally I think the game will get a 4 or 5 in Edge and 7s elsewhere, because for some reason, a lot of reviewers don't understand that numbers before 6 exist.

I trust my instincts on this one and I could end up eating my hat, but with under a month away from GOLD when I last played it, i doubt the things I've outlined have improved or changed.

belgurdo said:
Now that we've gotten the trolling and negativity out of the way, can't wait for this to come out

come on.. I can't wait to read/see you cry about this POS. Its bad+ugly in so many ways and the combat is weaksauce. you know the forum will implode when Sudeki hits.

Teddman

The E3 demo was better than the OXM one. I like the combat, the special attack system is pretty cool. Also thought it a nice touch that the action continues slowly when you are in menus.

Mashing

I'll be picking this game up after I'm through with ToS. And then Star Ocean 3 is on docket after that... A good time to be an RPG fan.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

THAT I don't believe...

DXIW on XBOX had one of the worst framerates I've seen in a console game since Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. I can't imagine Sudeki being THAT bad...

I don't want to do the whole "East vs West" argument, but one thing that the East often delivers on is framerate. ToS and SO3 are both solid 60 fps titles...while Sudeki probably doesn't even hold 30. ;P I believe that this is one of the reasons why there are so few 60 fps titles on XBOX in comparison to PS2 or GC.

boutrosinit

dark10x said:
THAT I don't believe...

DXIW on XBOX had one of the worst framerates I've seen in a console game since Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. I can't imagine Sudeki being THAT bad...

I don't want to do the whole "East vs West" argument, but one thing that the East often delivers on is framerate. ToS and SO3 are both solid 60 fps titles...while Sudeki probably doesn't even hold 30. ;P I believe that this is one of the reasons why there are so few 60 fps titles on XBOX in comparison to PS2 or GC.

Well it's true. Not consistently mind. In areas where I was walking and sod all went on, moving the camera caused the 30fps to drop to around what appeared to be 10. Also indoor areas - shops and your house - move at a slick 60. Everything else is inbetween 10 and 30 and judders. The game ain't smooth.

When you move the camera, the Frame rate tends to start dropping. It's very weird. It looks like a old gen PC game.

dark10x

boutrosinit said:
Well it's true. Not consistently mind. In areas where I was walking and sod all went on, moving the camera caused the 30fps to drop to around what appeared to be 10. Also indoor areas - shops and your house - move at a slick 60. Everything else is inbetween 10 and 30 and judders. The game ain't smooth.

When you move the camera, the Frame rate tends to start dropping. It's very weird. It looks like a old gen PC game.

Good lord, that sounds terrible. I wonder what the hell went wrong?

And of course framerate ruins RPGs............

*looks at KOTOR*

Regardless, I'm probably not buying it based solely on the demo. Anyone hear about the time it takes to complete it?

dark10x

siamesedreamer said:
And of course framerate ruins RPGs............

*looks at KOTOR*

Regardless, I'm probably not buying it based solely on the demo. Anyone hear about the time it takes to complete it?

No, it doesn't...but in a high action RPG with lots of fast motion, it can be a problem.

I can live with inconsistent framerate, but if it constantly dips into the sub-10 area, it will be a problem. As for the length of the game being 17 hours, that sound good to me, though it is always nicer to have longer adventures...as long as it's not tedious. For a game that seems like a weird mix of PSO and Zelda, I'd think that's a pretty good time. I'm wondering if that includes side-quests.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Dr.Guru of Peru said:
Didnt some IGN Xbox editor say it took him 17 hours to finish the game?
Yup. The OXM UK reviewer (gave it a 8.7/10) said it took him 22 hours to complete it without doing all the side quests.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm a little concerned, the new Gameinformer and EGM are out, and no Sudeki reviews, in fact none yet other then the Offical Xbox Mag in Europe... I'll always take another good action rpg, but i'm getting a little concerned.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Suikoguy said:
I'm a little concerned, the new Gameinformer and EGM are out, and no Sudeki reviews, in fact none yet other then the Offical Xbox Mag in Europe... I'll always take another good action rpg, but i'm getting a little concerned.
I smell a sudekigate in the making ! :p

IgeL

boutrosinit said:
The first and last hands-ons were short - the first i had was 10 mins, the second a full two hours, the third 45 minutes.
You haven't even completed the preview build (took me 5 hours), why not? I think the first two hours are spent in the "Castle" area (and the King's road or whatnot), and third hour in the village and 4-5 in the cave. Which parts have you played? I can't remember exactly but I would guess the latter parts had a better FPS than the beginning. And I think combat rarely had any problems at all. Or maybe your debug console just sucked so damn much (could happen, my debug makes me mad sometimes with its problems).

Either way, will be very interesting to see people's reactions. At the moment looks like 60/40 in favour of the haters.

Mock said:
Judging a game based off a demo - FUCKING RETARDED.
So what are demos good for then?

I always thought it was a way for potential consumers to "judge" whether or not they like the game enough to buy it.

Silly me.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
In theory thats what demos are for, but these days, especially on consoles, they rarely actually represent the final product.

Demo isn't bad; the battle system implementation is fairly entertaining, although the block pushing thing is so very, very tired. I'll probably still check this out on the cheap even though the character design and writing makes baby Itagaki cry.

Alcibiades

Ghost said:
In theory thats what demos are for, but these days, especially on consoles, they rarely actually represent the final product.

maybe the Sudeki demo was an exception

my only recent home experience with a Demo has been Nintendo's Preview Disc (Billy Hatcher, Soul Calibur II, Viewtiful Joe, and Splinter Cell), and that pretty much represented the final product (and got me interested in all 4 games)

Top Bottom