• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Veilguard has gone GOLD

PeteBull

on a scale of 0 to 10 Concords, how successful is this game expected to be?

• Dragon Age: Origins — 3.2 million copies sold in three months;
  • Dragon Age II — over 2 million copies sold in two months;
Thats the reason we even got DA:V but i guess anything under 2m wont be breaking even, above 5m will be big success, talking about launch window sales so full 70$ w/o any discounts.

Last edited:

mdkirby

I’m not convinced this will turn out good. But even if it is, I find it best now to wait to play these sort of games about 2 years after launch. They are better, bigger, bug free games by then, will all the expansions.

Life Diff

Pleasant looking? It's a fucking assault to the senses :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

5V3XwB6.png
Rip darkspawn
200.gif

laynelane

It’s very obvious this will be very different from previous games in terms of tone and style.

Fextralife said the writing was subpar will suffer through it for the gameplay. What a glowing endorsement.

YouTube served this up to me in my recommended. The first minute or so is LOL. You think we’ll have that kind of freedom in Veilguard?

I'm a little further in and it's pretty funny. Also, it's interesting to see someone go all out on being a psycho lol. As for whether that freedom will be present in Veilguard - I have doubts. It's a level of player agency, choice, and dialogue that is rarely seen nowadays. It's also a developer attitude that I can't see being present from has been shown of Veilguard thus far.

Fast forward to three months from now.

Game tanks. Management blames incels/chuds/all men in general. Lay offs begin. "How dare you grave dance! People are losing their jobs!"

Best I can hope from this game is that it results in Mass Effect 5 development getting rebooted in such a way that the leads decide that the "modern audience" is not worth pursuing.
Ultimately this would be the ideal scenario.

He is not. He is just saying theres a high demand for high quality fantasy western rpgs. No matter what you think of Dragon Age Veilguard you cant deny it has high production values and people are thirsty for another game with potentially great companions.
By comparing to BG3, it implies it is going to reach similar success we can apply this to any fantasy RPG's going forward such as woke-face Fable and Avowed.
If nothing at least writing will be better than that.
You mean better than the looks of the game or BG3?

You are absolutely correct. But thinking that Dragon Age will achieve the same success is like saying Saints Row will sell as much as GTA because it's open world. Come on now.
Baldurs Gate 3 achieved success first and foremost on its name and history and then the rest. Larian was never a big triple-A money making studio and despite making amazing games like Divinity, they didnt sell much, initially. Dragon Age, like call of duty, no matter the quality will most likely still sell a lot. If it sells poorly and its shit, then hey, the industry might be healing. Will see.

Last edited:
Baldurs Gate 3 achieved success first and foremost on its name and history and then the rest. Larian was never a big triple-A money making studio and despite making amazing games like Divinity, they didnt sell much, initially. Dragon Age, like call of duty, no matter the quality will most likely still sell a lot. If it sells poorly and its shit, then hey, the industry might be healing. Will see.
Nobody is debating it will sell poorly. Uncharted and Red Dead Redemption are super successes but they are in no where compatible when it comes to sales.

Drake

This will be the first Dragon Age I'm skipping. Honestly, other than the first game which is an all time great the rest of the series is pretty meh. I am curious to see how this sells as Bioware's name definitely doesn't have the power it used to.

Not wrong either. Dragon Age is a big name in the industry, regardless of DEI/woke stuff. It's unlikely that it will flop.
Dragon Age WAS a big name. Inquisition came out 10 years ago. There's a whole new generation of gamers now who have never heard of it or Bioware and the prior generation that actually bought the Dragon Age games seems to actively dislike what it appears Veilguard will be.

I'm not saying this will do Concord numbers, but it will probably be much closer to Star Wars Outlaws, which would mean disaster considering how long this game has been in production and no doubt how expensive it has been to develop.

Surely you've noticed the mostly negative to ambivalent reaction this game is getting from older gamers?

No doubt, but I think most people are in my shoes, which is, despite the negative aspects of the game, we will still buy it/give it a chance because it's Dragon Age. If it was a new IP I prolly wouldn't give a shit, but alas I want to see Solas and Varric and other surprises dragon age-lore wise.

Last edited:

Loboxxx

Neo Member
I hope that this Dragon Age will have two options that I think are essential.
1- 60fps performance mode
2- Daltonic mode or something similar, to be able to remove everything, absolutely everything is annoying and uncomfortable purple colour of the game. It's Dragon Age, not Dragon's Saint Row...
Thank you.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This is not new... 10 years ago their output already was shit

First time I’ve seen this video but it’s absolutely spot on. It’s exactly what’s wrong with so many movies/shows/games now. All the constant retarded marvel quips and characters acting like they’re embarrassed to take this nerdy sci-fi/fantasy shit seriously. (And IIRC Anthem was even worse, from the few hours I played). Really shows you what the writers/director think of the source material and their audience.

Guess this is what happens when you have an entire generation of writers who were taught that the the whole point of reading/watching the classics is to deconstruct it and criticize it from a postmodern intersectional viewpoint.

And from that stupid ass reveal trailer it seems like they’re going even harder in this direction.

Top Bottom