• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Veilguard has gone GOLD

Fbh

on a scale of 0 to 10 Concords, how successful is this game expected to be?

It's probably going to do better than Concord.
I expect a "failed to meet expectations" bomb rather than a "burn and crash" bomb.

It's still a well known IP with an established fanbase, and it will probably review decently since it's catering to gaming media and most previews have been on the positive side.
Just anecdotally I've had a few more casual gaming friends mention they are looking forward to it.

There is absolutely no way the writing will get even close to BG3. Also, Inquisition writing was shit.
Whats the point of playing a Bioware game if not for writing??

Their gameplay ranges from tolerable to mediocre. Last time they made gameplay that could carry the game was when …. Baldurs Gate 2, maybe DA Origins. Thats about it.

No doubt, but I think most people are in my shoes, which is, despite the negative aspects of the game, we will still buy it/give it a chance because it's Dragon Age. If it was a new IP I prolly wouldn't give a shit, but alas I want to see Solas and Varric and other surprises dragon age-lore wise.
Seriously? Despite how awful it looks, which you yourself are at least partially acknowledging, you're still planning on buying it? Just because it has a recognizable IP attached?

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, it's that exact mentality that has resulted in all media, whether gaming, film, or TV, being overwhelmed with reboots, remakes, sequels made decades too late, completely unnecessary prequels, and lame spin offs. Rather than trying to cultivate new talent who might have original ideas.

Seriously? Despite how awful it looks, which you yourself are at least partially acknowledging, you're still planning on buying it? Just because it has a recognizable IP attached?

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, it's that exact mentality that has resulted in all media, whether gaming, film, or TV, being overwhelmed with reboots, remakes, sequels made decades too late, completely unnecessary prequels, and lame spin offs. Rather than trying to cultivate new talent who might have original ideas.
We know nothing about the story or lore or whether itll be bad or good. DEI crap in char creator is not an issue for me, just as it wasnt in BG3 and CP2077 which no one complained. As fir the gameplay, cant comment, its not good nor is it bad from the gameplay vids, so overall unless i play it i wont know for sure.

We know nothing about the story or lore or whether itll be bad or good. DEI crap in char creator is not an issue for me, just as it wasnt in BG3 and CP2077 which no one complained. As fir the gameplay, cant comment, its not good nor is it bad from the gameplay vids, so overall unless i play it i wont know for sure.
All right, well, good luck to you. I hope it works out.

For me though, between trailers and previews, I've seen enough sleep inducing gameplay and eye-rolling dialogue to know I'm out.

Kacho

Gold Member
This is me. I suspect the game will be bad but I can’t properly judge it until I play it myself.

FUCK letting YouTubers and other sites influence my opinion. I want to form my own on a game this divisive.

Nasigil

It will probably do a bit better than Star Wars outlaws, but that's because it's on Steam. That's about it.

Just a general guess based on the the various trailer's reception on multiple gaming forums and Youtube. It's been pretty tame to somewhat negative, not even generating much discussion in the first place. If you have installed the display downvote plug-in on Youtube, you will see that most of its trailers has more dislike than likes. That's pretty bad by Youtube standard, where 20% dislike ratio can be already consider controversial.

Dragon Age is not as big of a name as some people think it is. Origin was beloved but that's 15 years ago. Inquisition sold pretty well (10m I believe) but in hindsight is one of the most "aged like milk" GOTY winners I can think of, The Witcher 3 came out next year and it's such an vast upgrade in every aspect you rarely hear people talk about Inquisition when recommending fantasy RPG anymore after 2015. Combined with the flop that was Andromeda and Anthem, there's very little hype around this game in general gaming community.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Gold Member
If Only You Knew How Bad Things Really Are

GZDlDzYaoAAR57B
You can play as a Y chromosome?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It's probably going to do better than Concord.
I expect a "failed to meet expectations" bomb rather than a "burn and crash" bomb.

It's still a well known IP with an established fanbase, and it will probably review decently since it's catering to gaming media and most previews have been on the positive side.
Just anecdotally I've had a few more casual gaming friends mention they are looking forward to it.
Exactly what I’m thinking. It’s going to be more like Star Wars Outlaws. The critics will go easy on it, the users will be very harsh on it, it’ll sell some just based on brand name alone, but it will sell below expectations and earn a negative reputation.

And some people are going to try really, really hard to convince you it’s a success.

Hot5pur

I for one think the combat and graphics look really good. Don't care about dragon age itself, just want to see a fun action RPG. The way they limited the booty and boob sliders is comical but I probably wouldn't have noticed unless someone pointed it out. The top surgery scars is going to make a few 10s of people happy, fine, I would think people wouldn't want to be reminded about probably traumatic events where their body wasn't doing what it was supposed to (breast cancer?) or they were just born with a gender/sex mismatch, but what do I know.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Remember when all bioware games were guaranteed bangers? I member.
Yup, I also remember that ending had nothing to do with the games being woke or not.

Remember when Bioware added Juhani in the original Knights of the Old Republic making her the first gay character in the overall Star Wars universe? I member. 🍓

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
I for one think the combat and graphics look really good.
I agree with this. If the character builds are interesting the game at least has that going for it. I’m not expecting Wrath of the Righteous levels of depth, but as long as it isn’t completely brain dead like Assassin’s Creed I’m good.

It would be a real shame to see BioWare get closed because of this. They have a new Mass Effect in the works in addition to an Origins remake. If it happens they only have themselves to blame for it.

Dazraell

I agree with this. If the character builds are interesting the game at least has that going for it. I’m not expecting Wrath of the Righteous levels of depth, but as long as it isn’t completely brain dead like Assassin’s Creed I’m good.

It would be a real shame to see BioWare get closed because of this. They have a new Mass Effect in the works in addition to an Origins remake. If it happens they only have themselves to blame for it.
This originated from a 4chan leaker who also was wrong about everything related to Veilguard. It's not a true thing man

Dazraell

Really? Damn. I saw it on Reddit recently and assumed it was legit.
Yeah, only game we officially know of beside Veilguard is the new Mass Effect. When you will look up articles about Origins remake, there was a rumor about something called "Dragon Age: Reorigins" with a leaked confidential image that looked fake as hell. I'm not saying it's not possible as they did Legendary Edition thing for Mass Effect, but as for now, nothing like this was officially announced

Last edited:

Toons

And praise be to those non woke infested nations.

The hilarious thing is if a main character was from most of those nations in a major game, you'd call that woke too.

The one thing where thats not the case is russia, and idk about you but standing russia in 2024 is wiiiiild lol.

Last edited:

Outlier

I'm excited to see the reviews.

If it's good, I'm getting it next year.
I can't believe it's been so long, since Inquisition.
It feels like only a couple years ago, I played it. I only played it once. like around 2015.

That's how much I liked it and expect Veilguard to at least be close.

PeteBull

I wouldn't trust gaming journalist reviews for this one since it won't be genuine , they will give it high score to push their 🌈
Its funny coz its true but we are so good as spotting their bs we can even read between the lines to get general feel of the game =P
Its like u see strongly tattoed girl(including her sternium and neck + arms) with that nose cow alike piercing talking masculine af while making hand gestures like italian mobster and arguing about every tiny thing-u dont have to ask her bodycount coz its obious she is ran tru like a town bicycle :messenger_sunglasses:

Top Bottom