• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
I assume that's going to be covered later...but what about all the victims who live alone?

Right, but in the mythos of the show he's done stuff like remove the log-out function and directly intervened in the world. You can't just program that in to a game on your own, there's hundreds of other people involved in the project. There's no "take control" button.

We cant assume these things after only the first episode though

Instro

- No company would ever, ever, EVER give you the resources to make an MMO if you were going to limit it to "10,000 players". They have so much money that they'd need to recoup and that amount of players would never cover it. Just the cost of maintaining the servers alone, without considering the R&D costs of the headset is going to be huge. Apparently the beta also only had 1,000 players in it. Waaaat.

It was mentioned in the episode that the 10k players was the "1st printing". But really, if the guy owns the company I assume he can do whatever he wants. Presumably they are making money by getting people to buy the hardware anyway.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
We gotta watch Noein, man.

Any time!

Right, but in the mythos of the show he's done stuff like remove the log-out function and directly intervened in the world. You can't just program that in to a game on your own, there's hundreds of other people involved in the project. There's no "take control" button.

This is why I would have much preferred the "trapped in the game" premise to be caused by malicious hackers or even a freak glitch. The idea that this entire scenario was devised by a single individual really grates on my suspension of disbelief, and I hope that Kayaba's role in future events is minimal at best.

I dunno. I would imagine Shining Wind x Tears would be infinity times better than Shining Hearts since it looks like a JRPG adaptation (a slightly weird mashup of two but still a JRPG one) and not some bread baking failure of a JRPG adaptation.

It does help I did play some of Shining Wind, so that's a plus.

At the very least, the first episode was certainly more bizarre and QUALITY-ridden than anything in Shining Hearts. The preview for the second episode made it appear as if it was going to go even further off the deep end, but I never got around to watching more.

flawfuls

You're right, there's about a hundred more problems with the set-up then that (if we're going to nitpick).

- Games are rarely made by one guy, anymore, at least, big huge games. The idea that an MMO was entirely created by one sole programmer is beyond absurd, you need tens of them even for a relatively basic game. So basically nothing that happened could ever happen.

- The headsets are insane and ludicrous on a number of levels. The amount of stuff that's inside them for no other purpose, but to be part of an evil scheme, is hilarious. You could never justify researching or purchasing half the stuff that goes inside them, such as full face scanners which would serve no purpose.

- Also, there is their ability to deliver dangerous amounts of microwave radiation would mean that you couldn't sell them to consumers.

- Don't even get me started on the internal battery that lasts forever. We can barely get 4 hours out of a 3DS.

- Won't everyone playing the game starve to death?

- No company would ever, ever, EVER give you the resources to make an MMO if you were going to limit it to "10,000 players". They have so much money that they'd need to recoup and that amount of players would never cover it. Just the cost of maintaining the servers alone, without considering the R&D costs of the headset is going to be huge. Apparently the beta also only had 1,000 players in it. Waaaat.

10,000 players is plenty if you only have to pay 1 programmer!

Jex

How do you know what kind of programming tools will exist 10 years from now?

I don't, I just assume that, based on how complicated MMO's are, combined with the added complexity of input via headset rather keyboard and mouse, that it's not going to get easier any time soon.

This whole premise is apparently based on a very shaky knowledge of videogame development.

duckroll

Sword Art Online - Episode 1

Q7fqJ.jpg

Okay, let's get the bad stuff out of the way. This show is dumb. Just like every other super implausible "the virtual RPG was a trap!" storyline, it makes no real logical sense and really just seems to be an excuse to get characters into a contrived story. I think Jex has covered most of what makes the show seem really stupid, so I'm not going to repeat the same shit. What is also kinda disappointing is how traditional the direction here is. Everything is by the books and so predictable of this sort of story, even without trying it's likely that most viewers will be able to tell what the next scene will be about before it happens.

Okay, so it's stupid and it's also unoriginal, so what's left? Well the production values seem pretty good. The backgrounds are really pretty. The music is decent, although I've heard much better from Kajiura. The animation isn't really bad or anything, but it didn't really feel very exciting or fluid to me. Maybe it's because the game's character graphics aren't that great. Lol. I dunno, I'll probably give this another episode, but it really seems like something I wouldn't enjoy much in the long run.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Binbougami 01

GAF said it was funny, I fully expected to hate it.

Ended up liking it a lot, it is pretty funny. Music took my by surprise too, reminds me of Masashi Hamauzu for some reason.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Man I was actually seriously considering watching Sword Art Online I'm glad Duckroll and Jexhius prevented me from making that mistake! :D

Ladies VS Butlers! 7
6tOnz.png

We heard you like anime...
The new girl of the week is a princess of a country full of weeaboos, and she herself is a huge otaku who likes this magical girl show a lot, so she gets a bunch of the other ladies in school to help her out making a cosplay doujinshi. Nothing much happens, as the drama of the episode was pretty meh. The ladies are now in their summer uniforms, and with that the ED changed, but it still sucks...
Next episode is a beach episode, and with this show, I know it's gonna be good!

Jarmel

Banned
The biggest problem with SAO isn't the 10k distribution number as that makes sense. EA constrained their launch numbers initially for TOR to ensure a steady launch due to possibility of server overload and this is dealing with much much higher data transfers. What is bullshit is how one person could develop something like this. A person could start working right now even with that magical headset technology and there is no fucking way they would finish by 2022. You would need a huge group surpassing the development size of TOR to do this due to the absolutely insane scale.

MarkusRJR

I'm gonna go watch Sailor Moon. I haven't watched it since I was 6 or 7 and I don't remember much at all. I mainly just want back-story for the newly announced Sailor Moon series. I might not like it, but it seems like a good waste of time. Should I go dub or sub? Is it worth it in this day and age to watch sailor moon? Too outdated or boring? I'm kind of curious before I head on in.

I somehow remember the majority of the Sailor scouts names too. Are the names different in the Japanese version?

Jex

Binbougami 01

GAF said it was funny, I fully expected to hate it.

Ended up liking it a lot, it is pretty funny. Music took my by surprise too, reminds me of Masashi Hamauzu for some reason.

Why don't you trust us?

Also, why are we all one person?

Jarmel

Banned
Why are you all applying any sort of logic to Sword Art Online? Did you not read the premise?

I'm kinda just rolling with it. Also someone mentioned in another forum that there was a development team but that the crazy creator, or whatever, jacked control from them on launch day.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Why don't you trust us?

Also, why are we all one person?

Because I've only been here for a few days, and although I have only seen a few comedies, they were pretty hit and mostly miss for me.

And since always. I go to GAF to learn what my opinions on things are.

Narag

I'm gonna go watch Sailor Moon. I haven't watched it since I was 6 or 7 and I don't remember much at all. I mainly just want back-story for the newly announced Sailor Moon series. I might not like it, but it seems like a good waste of time. Should I go dub or sub? Is it worth it in this day and age to watch sailor moon? Too outdated or boring? I'm kind of curious before I head on in.

I somehow remember the majority of the Sailor scouts names too. Are the names different in the Japanese version?

Sub. It's excellent still and something I'm going through myself currently for the first time without any nostalgia. It's better than a lot of modern stuff I've watched. Yes, the names are different.

Defuser

Kokoro Connect
First episode doesn't really say much considering so much talking about believing and disbelieving but nonetheless interesting. If done right, it can be a substitute for K-on!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Sub, definitely.

It's still a great show and one well worth watching!

Excuse me, Japan? Are you trying to claim that in 2022 an MMO isn't going to be sold via digital download and is only going to be 'printed? LOL. You think retail as we know it is still going to be the primary source for distribution? That isn't even true now.
What? Retail is still the primary method of distribution. Jexhius, maybe you should stick to just talking about anime. :p

The biggest problem with SAO isn't the 10k distribution number as that makes sense. EA constrained their launch numbers initially for TOR to ensure a steady launch due to possibility of server overload and this is dealing with much much higher data transfers. What is bullshit is how one person could develop something like this. A person could start working right now even with that magical headset technology and there is no fucking way they would finish by 2022. You would need a huge group surpassing the development size of TOR to do this due to the absolutely insane scale.
Not to be a broken record, but seriously: Toady. This is obviously a much grander scale, but combine that kind of dedication with future technology and it's not that hard for me to imagine. Certainly not something that would affect my suspension of disbelief.

sonicmj1

Unless it gets justified in a really, really poor way, I'm willing to give a show's premise a ton of leeway in terms of plausibility. In fiction, you have to allow some kind of starting point if you're going to break with reality.

I remember some Ratatouille review where the reviewer hated the movie because they couldn't get over the idea of a rat making food in a kitchen. Wouldn't it be unsanitary?

Dresden

I don't know if it's quite open-world, though. There seems to be a definite set path for progression, and the main game is the 100-floor tower of Aincrad.

wonzo

Banned
Moyashimon 3

this show's giving me a plethora of tips on homebrewing sake in the most entertaining way imaginable. best show (and ed) ever

Man I was actually seriously considering watching Sword Art Online I'm glad Duckroll and Jexhius prevented me from making that mistake! :D
indeed, all hail duckroll and jexhius

What? Retail is still the primary method of distribution. Jexhius, maybe you should stick to just talking about anime. :p
in a world without ios, steam and the rise of f2p games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom