• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I remember watching like half of the first season.

So much delicious friendship.
Seriously, I couldn't unsee the BL once I read that comment. Mihashi might as well be a girl, since Abe is basically the surly shoujo hero.

The comment I read was something like this: "OoFuri's relationships are what a women wants to believe men do when they're alone. The female version of the lesbian pillow fight that girls have at every sleepover ever".

Once I read that, it was over. lol Hell, DTL would probably love the show if he hasn't seen it already.

Oh, and the show loves baseball so much that in 26 episodes of the first season, they played a total of two baseball games. As one of my first sports animes, I loved it, but I can't imagine tolerating that kind of pacing ever again... even the second season of OoFuri didn't really do that much for me (they compressed it and put two games into 13 episodes and it still felt slow).

Seriously, I couldn't unsee the BL once I read that comment. Mihashi might as well be a girl, since Abe is basically the surly shoujo hero.

The comment I read was something like this: "OoFuri's relationships are what a women wants to believe men do when they're alone. The female version of the lesbian pillow fight that girls have at every sleepover ever".

Once I read that, it was over. lol Hell, DTL would probably love the show if he hasn't seen it already.

Oh, and the show loves baseball so much that in 26 episodes of the first season, they played a total of two baseball games. As one of my first sports animes, I loved it, but I can't imagine tolerating that kind of pacing ever again... and even the second season of OoFuri didn't really do that much for me (and they compressed it and put two games into 13 episodes and it still felt slow).

Damn, I didn't realize how terrible the pacing was in the show. I guess that was why I gave up halfway.

I should toss it back into my backlog. To watch all that delicious friendship.

There are no girls in MMOs.

Apparently some real girls play WoW. I don't know about any other MMOs, though.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily good - although because it's written by a woman who played softball and got a degree in sports medicine, it seems to be "accurate".
Softball's nowhere near as good as baseball, though... it's too bad girls are forced to play it, it's not as interesting a sport. (Yeah, I know that has nothing to do with the show. And yeah, knowing softball would be much better than nothing, certainly, if you're doing a baseball series.)

After reading some comments about it though, I can't help but see the author fantasy working in the show though - a sexy female coach who helps a group of young men become good baseball players. Although the main BL-goggled relationship between the pitcher and catcher is funny simply because... the catcher is the pitcher and the pitcher is the catcher, if you know what I mean.
Heh.

Oh, and the show loves baseball so much that in 26 episodes of the first season, they played a total of two baseball games. As one of my first sports animes, I loved it, but I can't imagine tolerating that kind of pacing ever again... even the second season of OoFuri didn't really do that much for me (they compressed it and put two games into 13 episodes and it still felt slow).
Two games in a season? That sounds somewhat slow...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Damn, I didn't realize how terrible the pacing was in the show. I guess that was why I gave up halfway.

I should toss it back into my backlog. To watch all that delicious friendship.

Two games in a season? That sounds somewhat slow...
Yep. I mean, there are a couple of episodes of training and building the team and all that jazz, but most of the show is devoted to playing out two full games of baseball. I think there were times when an episode was devoted to half an inning. That's how crazy it got.

What's even better is that the first game that they play isn't even a "real" match. It was just a friendly! (Which had some impact on character development, but still. lol)

But ABF, you should be okay with it if you're okay with Saki-like pacing. lol

Jex

[Sword Art Online - First 60 Seconds of Episode 1]

Amazingly, something incredibly stupid happens right at the start of this episode:

SAO1.jpg

Excuse me, Japan? Are you trying to claim that in 2022 an MMO isn't going to be sold via digital download and is only going to be 'printed? LOL. You think retail as we know it is still going to be the primary source for distribution? That isn't even true now.

Amazingly, something incredibly stupid happens right at the start of this episode:

SAO1.jpg

Excuse me, Japan? Are you trying to claim that in 2022 an MMO isn't going to be sold via digital download and is only going to be 'printed? LOL. You think retail as we know it is still going to be the primary source for distribution? That isn't even true now.

It's Japan.

mAcOdIn

Perhaps the amount of data for a huge virtual space is a staggering amount of data to just download? Perhaps they foresaw a future with bandwidth caps(Ouch, this might happen!)?

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/SAO1.jpg[IMG]

Excuse me, Japan? Are you trying to claim that in 2022 an MMO isn't going to be sold via digital download and is only going to be 'printed? LOL. You think retail as we know it is still going to be the primary source for distribution? That isn't even true [I]now[/I].[/QUOTE]It's an anti-piracy measure!

SAO1.jpg

Did you seriously pause the episode just to nitpick a distribution method?

Also, I find the fact they only made 10k copies of a supposedly revolutionary MMO more bothersome (though there are probably reasons for that considering the purpose of the game).

Edit: And yeah, there's kind of reasons to limit it to a certain number of people. Seriously dude, finish the damn episode!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

SAO1.jpg

The creator of the game obivously planned for the player number to be limited to ten thousand, dude.

Dresden

Goal was to control access for a set number of participants, most likely.

Just not something I was concerned about, compared to something more egregious like strapping a helmet microwave on your head.

Jex

Did you seriously pause the episode just to nitpick a distribution method?

Also, I find the fact they only made 10k copies of a supposedly revolutionary MMO more bothersome (though there are probably reasons for that considering the purpose of the game).

It's both, really. The expense of making even a decently sized MMO with average graphics today requires a user-base of several hundred thousand people just to break even and that's without even considering that you need to pay back all the R&D costs for inventing that helmet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Just not something I was concerned about, compared to something more egregious like strapping a helmet microwave on your head.

I assumed that the helmets were tied to the games, so they were constrained on the hardware side. Probably like the Wii when it launched.

(Why the fuck am I giving this any thought?)

Jex

I assumed that the helmets were tied to the games, so they were constrained on the hardware side. Probably like the Wii when it launched.

It's mentioned during the opening that a number of games have used the helmet, so there's certainly more than 10,000 possible customers out there.

Dresden

I doubt it. The number was set on purpose.

But seriously, it's like selling playstations with the capability to shoot you in the head if the programmer so desires it.

You know you lovehate it.

mAcOdIn

Damnit Jexhius. Of all the shit I watched the thing you're bothered by actually made the most damn sense today. Finish the episode and it'll make sense.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's both, really. The expense of making even a decently sized MMO with average graphics today requires a user-base of several hundred thousand people just to break even and that's without even considering that you need to pay back all the R&D costs for inventing that helmet.
It's not really possible to assume what tools are capable of in the future. The show says one guy pretty much made the game. I thought the episode was pretty dumb but not for these reasons.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

SAO1.jpg

My baseless attempt at creating a justification for this is that it was all part of a plot to cap the number of people who could participate in Kayaba's "experiment" and ensure that all participants were extremely hardcore gamers who have a likelihood of surviving longer and therefore serving as a longer-lasting source of quality amusement.

much more likely is that increasingly-greedy telecoms have imposed bandwidth caps so small that digital distribution has fallen by the wayside as a lost relic of the old days of the internet!

Uchip

Banned

riiiiiiight

SAO1.jpg

It looks expensive as shit, and the fact that a few thousand people was the max, im not surprised if it wasnt digitally distributed

Dresden

Baseless? It's easy enough to infer from the episode.

There's a lot of stupid shit in SAO, guys. Save your ire for other stuff. (LN)
like that weird Goodkind-ian rape scene.

Isn't digital distribution non-existent in Japan anyway? I doubt it will suddenly become dominant even in 10 years, especially with how massive the used game market is.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's an anti-piracy measure!

The content of the game itself is the best anti-piracy measure possible!

It's mentioned during the opening that a number of games have used the helmet, so there's certainly more than 10,000 possible customers out there.

Didn't one of the fellow players say that Sword Art Online was the first game worth playing on the device? It sounded to me like the VR headset is a prohibitively expensive and obscure console used only by the most hardcore of gamers, kind of like a futuristic 3D0.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I doubt it. The number was set on purpose.

But seriously, it's like selling playstations with the capability to shoot you in the head if the programmer so desires it.
Oh. So it really is just idiotic
EVIL GENIUS bullshit then.
Go figure.

You know you lovehate it.
I dunno, if I'm going to choose something to hatewatch this season, I feel like I should be careful with what I pick.

There's still that shitty Sengoku show that's supposed to air tomorrow after all.

The content of the game itself is the best anti-piracy measure possible!

Didn't one of the fellow players say that Sword Art Online was the first game worth playing on the device? It sounded to me like the VR headset is a prohibitively expensive and obscure console used only by the most hardcore of gamers, kind of like a futuristic 3D0.
Oh, so Trip Hawkins is back after the failure of Digital Chocolate? Good to know!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Isn't digital distribution non-existent in Japan anyway? I doubt it will suddenly become dominant even in 10 years, especially with how massive the used game market is.
Digital distribution is largely non-existent in Japan because handheld games are the most popular platforms.

wonzo

Banned
SAKUYA'S GEM 11

I like how they fixed the faces in the OP by getting rid of them altogether. This show really is borderline unwatchable when there aren't any bread puns or QUALITY moments to laugh at. Oh well, at least they showed the laser scene in a flashback.

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/SAO1.jpg

sounds like some kinda shitty Greed Island rip-off

madp

The Light of El Cantare
SAKUYA'S GEM 11

I like how they fixed the faces in the OP by getting rid of them altogether. This show really is borderline unwatchable when there aren't any bread puns or QUALITY moments to laugh at. Oh well, at least they showed the laser scene in a flashback.

I'm catching up on the second half of the show right now, and it's truly dumbfounding in its ability to be totally inane regardless of what is happening. Shining Hearts is a textbook example of boring being worse than bad. I'm too sleepy for impressions now, but I hope to have some thoughts on the series posted tomorrow. Sadly, I'm all out of bread jokes. The show wouldn't even allow me to have that in the end.

I'm catching up on the second half of the show right now, and..........all of my hate. Shining Hearts is a textbook example of boring being worse than bad. I'm too sleepy for impressions now, but I hope to have some thoughts on the series posted tomorrow. Sadly, I'm all out of bread jokes. The show wouldn't even allow me to have that in the end.

I won't lie. Shining Hearts is one of those rare shows that marathoning it is probably worse than watching it week by week.

wonzo

Banned
I'm catching up on the second half of the show right now, and it's truly dumbfounding in its ability to be totally inane regardless of what is happening. Shining Hearts is a textbook example of boring being worse than bad. I'm too sleepy for impressions now, but I hope to have some thoughts on the series posted tomorrow. Sadly, I'm all out of bread jokes. The show wouldn't even allow me to have that in the end.
Yeah, I don't think I could ever bring myself to marathon this soulless piece of shit.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I won't lie. Shining Hearts is one of those rare shows that marathoning it is probably worse than watching it week by week.

Yeah, this is torture.

yo wonzo, wanna watch Shining Tears x Wind with me when we're both done with this?

wonzo

Banned
Yeah, this is torture.

yo wonzo, wanna watch Shining Tears x Wind with me when we're both done with this?
I would but I gotta finish what I started (Angel Beats!, Kannazuki no Miko and Strawberry Panic) first and check out crap like this and maybe this before I'll touch anything Shining Hearts related. It must be done.

Jex

You're right, there's about a hundred more problems with the set-up then that (if we're going to nitpick).

- Games are rarely made by one guy, anymore, at least, big huge games. The idea that an MMO was entirely created by one sole programmer is beyond absurd, you need tens of them even for a relatively basic game. So basically nothing that happened could ever happen.

- The headsets are insane and ludicrous on a number of levels. The amount of stuff that's inside them for no other purpose, but to be part of an evil scheme, is hilarious. You could never justify researching or purchasing half the stuff that goes inside them, such as full face scanners which would serve no purpose.

- Also, there is their ability to deliver dangerous amounts of microwave radiation would mean that you couldn't sell them to consumers.

- Don't even get me started on the internal battery that lasts forever. We can barely get 4 hours out of a 3DS.

- Won't everyone playing the game starve to death?

- No company would ever, ever, EVER give you the resources to make an MMO if you were going to limit it to "10,000 players". They have so much money that they'd need to recoup and that amount of players would never cover it. Just the cost of maintaining the servers alone, without considering the R&D costs of the headset is going to be huge. Apparently the beta also only had 1,000 players in it. Waaaat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You're right, there's about a hundred more problems with the set-up then that (if we're going to nitpick).

- Games are rarely made by one guy, anymore, at least, big huge games. The idea that an MMO was entirely created by one sole programmer is beyond absurd, you need tens of them even for a relatively basic game. So basically nothing that happened could ever happen.

- The headsets are insane and ludicrous on a number of levels. The amount of stuff that's inside them for no other purpose, but to be part of an evil scheme, is hilarious. You could never justify researching or purchasing half the stuff that goes inside them, such as full face scanners which would serve no purpose.

- Also, there is their ability to deliver dangerous amounts of microwave radiation would mean that you couldn't sell them to consumers.

- Don't even get me started on the internal battery that lasts forever. We can barely get 4 hours out of a 3DS.

He's a James Bond villain/Dr. Evil though.

Dresden

The last two are actually explained, iirc. The internal battery only lasts for a few hours, but it's long enough for the victims to be sent to hospitals where they can be fed and stuff.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Sword Art Online wasn't created by one man.

They can be fed through their veins.

Bleach 261

Blah, go from whatever silly activities of the Zanpakuto and go back to the human world and focus on some story on Orihime and some ugly hair female character.

Yep that's a boring filler episode.

Give Toady of Dwarf Fort fame another decade and it could happen.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I would but I gotta finish what I started (Angel Beats!, Kannazuki no Miko and Strawberry Panic) first and check out crap like this and maybe this before I'll touch anything Shining Hearts related. It must be done.

zkmy0l.jpg

Your nobility in the face of suffering moves me deeply.

When the time is right, I'll share your pain. In the mean time, I posted episode one impressions a couple of months ago if you'd like an idea of what it's like.

Jex

The last two are actually explained, iirc. The internal battery only lasts for a few hours, but it's long enough for the victims to be sent to hospitals where they can be fed and stuff.

I assume that's going to be covered later...but what about all the victims who live alone?
Sword Art Online wasn't created by one man.

Right, but in the mythos of the show he's done stuff like remove the log-out function and directly intervened in the world. You can't just program that in to a game on your own, there's hundreds of other people involved in the project. There's no "take control" button.

When the time is right, I'll share your pain. In the mean time, I posted episode one impressions a couple of months ago if you'd like an idea of what it's like.

I dunno. I would imagine Shining Wind x Tears would be infinity times better than Shining Hearts since it looks like a JRPG adaptation (a slightly weird mashup of two but still a JRPG one) and not some bread baking failure of a JRPG adaptation.

It does help I did play some of Shining Wind, so that's a plus.

Right, but in the mythos of the show he's done stuff like remove the log-out function and directly intervened in the world. You can't just program that in to a game on your own, there's hundreds of other people involved in the project. There's no "take control" button.

How do you know what kind of programming tools will exist 10 years from now?

mAcOdIn

Sure you can! Imagine you owned Sega, and you had a game system, you have the game, you control the coding, you control the certification, you control the shipping, it's all yours. If you wanted to add in some code when it was done just fucking do it, if you're the man you don't have to fucking get the shit reviewed, you don't gotta send it off to some other branch of your company for certification, just do it. You're acting like this evil guy went and did everything by the book when that'd make even less sense than the shit already on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom