• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
People die when they are killed in real life too, so really Kayaba is doing the SAO players a favor by allowing them to at least perish in an environment tailored to their lifestyle. What a guy!

duckroll

Unless it gets justified in a really, really poor way, I'm willing to give a show's premise a ton of leeway in terms of plausibility. In fiction, you have to allow some kind of starting point if you're going to break with reality.

I remember some Ratatouille review where the reviewer hated the movie because they couldn't get over the idea of a rat making food in a kitchen. Wouldn't it be unsanitary?

I think it depends on how interesting you find an implausible premise. For me, I can't get over how stupid all these omg-master-plan-players-trapped-in-virtual-MMO stories. They always come off as stupid and I've never seen one done in a way which I find satisfying and interesting.

Unless it gets justified in a really, really poor way, I'm willing to give a show's premise a ton of leeway in terms of plausibility. In fiction, you have to allow some kind of starting point if you're going to break with reality.

I remember some Ratatouille review where the reviewer hated the movie because they couldn't get over the idea of a rat making food in a kitchen. Wouldn't it be unsanitary?
That's absurd, there were legitimate problems with Ratatouille, but that wasn't one of them.
in a world without ios, steam and the rise of f2p games
DD is growing, but it still has a ways to go.

Uchip

Banned
I think it depends on how interesting you find an implausible premise. For me, I can't get over how stupid all these omg-master-plan-players-trapped-in-virtual-MMO stories. They always come off as stupid and I've never seen one done in a way which I find satisfying and interesting.

how many are there? I only know hack sign and that was pretty meh

wonzo

Banned
hyouka11b.jpg

eru does not approve of SAO

how many are there? I only know hack sign and that was pretty meh

There's a manga called Real PG, but that's more like everyone is given powers from an MMO and then forced to kill each other as a "beta test".

Btooom does the same thing, but they aren't actually IN the game. Rather they're sent to an island and forced to kill each other with neat gadgets so the developers can research what happens.

sonicmj1

I guess. I like that sort of premise even if I realize how stupid it is, so I'll just focus on the people in the game instead of the insane justification for why they're there.

Now, if stupid stuff happens in the game itself, that's a different story.

duckroll

There's a manga called Real PG, but that's more like everyone is being given powers from an MMO and then forced to kill each other as a "beta test".

Btooom does the same thing, but they aren't actually IN the game. Rather they're sent to an island and forced to kill each other with neat gadgets so the developers can research what happens.

Sounds like massive improvements. At least it's not a lame virtual world.

Instro

Now guess what the twist for AO is!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan 06-12 (END):

Everyone warned me that it wasn't worth it, but pride goeth before being really fucking bored. These are the moments that I wonder if I should really take up a productive hobby, like knitting. Actual impressions tomorrow.

fertygo

Btooom have far more interesting premise than SAO, its actually feel like game of the death. Shame the Deadhouse's production value ain't gonna do shit against otaku money-grabbing property :(

Bokurano (especially the manga) was the best with this kind of premise though.

duckroll

Okay, so what it is with modern anime and mystery genres? Why does every single one in recent memory have a eye-motif with the female lead (I don't care if the female lead disguises as a young boy, it's still a female lead)?

Gosick:
QxERV.jpg

Un-Go:
NAURa.jpg

Hyouka:
CxFT4.jpg

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Okay, so what it is with modern anime and mystery genres? Why does every single one in recent memory have a eye-motif with the female lead (I don't care if the female lead disguises as a young boy, it's still a female lead)?

Because they can see through the bullshit, they see the truth man.

It's very subtle.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

The industry is creatively bankrupt and resorts to cannibalism whenever it can?
I know this is a dramatic overstatement

And more importantly, does this make Kamisama no Memochou the best or worst recent detective show given its refusal to follow the ALL-SEEING EYE trend?

duckroll

Now guess what the twist for AO is!

Oh but I don't dislike virtual worlds. I think that alone can make for compelling and interesting stories. What I dislike is the specific storylines where videogame players in a modern society find themselves trapped inside a virtual MMO which they are playing because of some conspiracy, and apparently no one could stop it. It's stupid.

Edit: Actually I think I realize why I dislike this story type so much. It's because eXistenZ is an awesome movie, and I loved it, and it worked because of how the story was presented and the scenario was limited and plausible. Then anime starts pulling the same shit on a larger scale and I just find it laughable.

Btooom have far more interesting premise than SAO, its actually feel like game of the death. Shame the Deadhouse's production value ain't gonna do shit against otaku money-grabbing property :(

Bokurano (especially the manga) was the best with this kind of premise though.

Bokurano isn't really a game though. Kokopelli just lied about it being a game.

mAcOdIn

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica 1

Don't really understand how this show's world works, but I think it will be enjoyable regardless. The main character is a big pervert and smuggles a girl with unnaturally huge tits from another world into his own. And now he wants her to call him Onii-chan. Interesting show, we'll see how it goes.
I just finished this episode too.

The bra and panty removing slight of hand trick was lame the first time and kinda insulting the second. Also, yet another show where an attacking force is entirely composed of fucking maids, what the fuck is this and why is it a thing?

This comes off as a sequel to Demon King Daimao. It's got people checking into his destiny too just like that show.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica 1

Don't really understand how this show's world works, but I think it will be enjoyable regardless. The main character is a big pervert and smuggles a girl with unnaturally huge tits from another world into his own. And now he wants her to call him Onii-chan. Interesting show, we'll see how it goes.

I just finished this episode too.

The bra and panty removing slight of hand trick was lame the first time and kinda insulting the second. Also, yet another show where an attacking force is entirely composed of fucking maids, what the fuck is this and why is it a thing?

This comes off as a sequel to Demon King Daimao. It's got people checking into his destiny too just like that show.

Yeah.

I think I'll pass on this one.

Uchip

Banned

mysterious eyes, for a mysterious genre

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It's a metaphor.

Katapan

Neo Member
A few words on the Sunrise panel with Ozaki Masayuki at Japan Expo Day 3, since I actually managed to attend this one. It wasn't quite as interesting as what I'd heard from the Maruyama panel, but still had some new information (unless it's redundant with what he's shown at Anime Expo):

- There was notably a Powerpoint presentation of all the 2012-2013 Sunrise shows, commented one by one by Ozaki. Most of the stuff we already knew about - I think the new info was that: 1. He estimated the amount of new animation in Tiger&Bunny - The Beginning to be around two thirds of the movie - 2. He'd written down the director for Love Live! (newcomer? I just had to take a pic or else I knew I'd forget the name).
- First question in the Q&A session was probably the most interesting one. The guy asked if Studio 8 was indeed currently procuding Horizon II, Accel World and Nerawareta Gakuen all at the same time. Ozaki was actually surprised he knew this much, confirmed that they all are under the same producer but that the production is split into three different teams in the studio. The contraints are tough but he assured that everything would be ready on time. He mentioned that there are 15 animation studios inside Sunrise - I don't remember if this is the number we've always known about, or if it's actually increased since then.
- "Why did the production on Code Geass - Boukoku no Akito end up so running late?" - he admitted it should've been ready much sooner, but they apparently couldn't decide on which character to pick as a protagonist for a long time.
- The production on the Gundam Seed movies has been stopped for a while. Lol.
- People have also asked about why Gintama was stopped, whether they'd be making more Nichibros, etc., but these were the usual "if the series get enough support" answers.
- France might apparently be getting the Tiger & Bunny movies simultaneously with Japan. Odd choice.

There was apparently a panel on Day 2 with Aniplex's Katsumata Hideo, but the Q&A session turned out to be people mostly asking about any kind of Ao no Exorcist sequel. (Obvious answer: "if the movie does well.") Again, I wasn't there myself.

Now to finally start watching these summer shows... I haven't managed to squeeze anything in my schedule since Monday besides the excellent return of Matsuo Kou. Maybe I shouldn't have started with the best thing right away!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
A few words on the Sunrise panel with Ozaki Masayuki at Japan Expo Day 3...

- France might apparently be getting the Tiger & Bunny movies simultaneously with Japan. Odd choice.

It's not really that odd when you consider that France is the largest anime/manga market in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom