• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I think episode 11 & 12 of AB is equivalent with suffering ordeal to being buddha. No men deserve to go though it :(

It's not true suffering if you don't actually learn anything, though. That's why Earth Girl Arjuna is the source of true enlightenment.

Tari Tari

It's probably the closest that an anime will get to
admitting that teens may have sex in Japan
. lol

ibqesVJqlr0Kwy.gif

ahead of it's time :(

Enron

Banned
you should watch Kanon 2002 for the incredible art and SYMBOLISM. one of the best comedies ever made imo

Back in 2002, I tried to watch Kanon not knowing what it was. I fell asleep in the first ep. Head on desk. I'll never get that time back.

fertygo

Was there anyone who looked like this in those episodes?
No, but they have this.

In a show full of really bad ideas, the worst was
centering the entire second half of the series on a love story involving one character that is only developed via convenient flashback, and another character that isn't even a character.

EDIT - Then again,
EVERY character save maybe Yui was developed solely via convenient flashback, so this isn't a Otonashi-specific problem
I don't even remember anything about the plot anymore, but
the convo with the hacker dude
still haunting my life.

Well there's two things to address here:

First, while there may indeed be a lot of anime far worse than this show I refuse to start judging anime through such a limited scope, everything vies for our time, anime, live action TV, movies, music, video games, real life events and whatever else one spends their time on and I rank my entertainment across all entertainment of it's type, therefore I compare anime to the rest of TV. This is the only way a recommendation has any weight in my opinion. If I were to think an anime series was good would I recommend it to just anyone? If I thought it was good because I judged it against all of TV, then yes, I think that recommendation has real merit that is helpful to anyone, however if I have to say it is good "for an anime" then what the hell does that mean? That, if for some reason, you just wanted to watch something with a drawn look that may or may not actually be good, period, but just happens to be better than lots of other shit that is hand drawn, well, who the fuck does that serve?

Of course no-one's saying Arcana Famiglia is good, merely that it's mediocre, but you're saying it's mediocre in comparison to other anime which I think is an unfair grading curve. Indeed, all TV of all nations skews towards shit so why the fuck should I be hesitant to compare an anime to one's normal television, why do I need to inflate a shit show's worth by limiting it's competition to a field that's full of crap, when everything's mostly crap anyways? I don't do that for normal television. I don't say "oh man, the Real World is ok. For a reality show." The Real World sucks and how it stacks up to it's direct competition in it's small niche is of little relevance to me in the grand scheme of things. It is just plain bad TV whether compared to all of TV or just reality shows and so it is with Arcana Famiglia which is bad TV compared to all of TV or just anime.

For this whole "for an anime" thing to work it seems like you'd almost have to exclusively watch anime, which is a frightening prospect but seems to be the only way that such a means of judging anime only as anime would make any sense.

Second, you were amused at one point? If not many points even? I hope I'm interpreting that "If not many" part wrong. I wasn't amused at any point of my 12 minutes with the show.
Your main problem here isn't that you're wrong, it's that you seem to have forgotten just how bad most anime is... you've watched more stuff from this season now. Would you still single out Arcana Famiglia so much, compared to those shows, most of which are probably even worse?

Because yes, I do think it's fair to compare things to other things in their category. Sure, overall comparisons, including other things, are reasonable too -- and yeah, Arcana Famiglia doesn't hold up too well there -- but it doesn't fail quite as badly as you say, either. I mean, it's not a great show, certainly, and I gave some reasons for that too, but you exaggerate. It IS average (for anime) in plenty of ways. Is it below average in more than it's above average? Perhaps, yeah. But you go too far.

Joshiraku was pretty neat, it was like the deconstruction of the cute girls doring cute things genre.

summer lineup
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Joshiraku
Binbougami ga!
Rinne no Lagrange Season 2
---
Sword Art Online
Oda Nobuna no Yabou

pretty comedy-centric but I have my backlog for all my other needs.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't remember any sex scenes in Amagami SS... Did I miss something? Well... from the arcs I watched at least I mean.

Might be mixing the game with the anime, although there are technically a couple of "epilogue" scenes to the arcs that show Junichi with his pregnant waifu in the future. He's ragingly horny through the entire series but I don't think that the deed ever gets shown on screen.

No, but they have this.

Personally, I think that The Buddha would have abandoned the middle path and given into worldliness if faced with that.

Also, I should have referenced this in my previous post, but the picture I posted is from a scene in Laws of the Sun, which partially deals with the suffering of Siddhartha Gautama (in an extremely inaccurate way).

Jex

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 31-32: yang has the patience of a... Turtle? Snail? I'm bad at similes.

I had forgot how much of a dislikable amalgam of pricks the Alliance politicians were. I wanna punch these pompous arses in the nuts.

and hellooooooooo Star Wars expies. Been a while since I last saw you.

P.S. Yang X Whatsherface is so cute.

The Alliance is the worst. It has so few likeable characters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't remember any sex scenes in Amagami SS... Did I miss something? Well... from the arcs I watched at least I mean.
It's off screen sex with some of the characters. I mean, he spends the night with Morishima-senpai in a hotel room at one point after all!

jman2050

Oh ABF you make this too easy.

Do we really need to argue about this AGAIN? Oh come on...

Could always just say nothing if you're worried about that. A little late now I guess.

I don't get it either, but it's mostly because Key wrote it, and a bunch of people at animegaf have made unfairly hating on Key one of their primary missions on this site, essentially. This mostly comes out towards Kanon (Kanon 2002 particularly, but '06 somewhat as well) and Angel Beats, but it's almost all completely unfair and ridiculous.

Angel Beats isn't even specifically KEY though, it's PA Works and Jun Maeda. The writing is bad but, as has been stated before, the writing is only one component to the mess. With that said, your continued intellectual dishonesty in INSISTING that our misgivings of the show are invalid because we have some hate-filled irrational vendetta against an entertainment company is quite annoying. Oh no, I say negative stuff about KEY, obviously I'm just being spiteful and biased and it can't be that I just don't like them or the stories they create. Might as well unironically call out 7th and pizzaroll for their SHAFT hate, or duckroll for his Nasu hate, or etc etc.

Of course, I'm biased the other way -- Kanon '02 is one of my favorites, really ugly art or no, and Angel Beats is one of the best animes of recent years -- but if you listened to the general animegaf Key-hate, you'd think that Key were actually bad writers, or something, when actually, they're quite good writers, and the hate is entirely, 100% a matter of opinion. But don't expect most of them to every admit THAT obvious fact.

The fact that many of these misgivings are opinions is implicit. This is not a difficult concept to grasp. It's also pretty weird trying to call us out for not being explicit in our use of opinionated statements when you frame your nonsense in an objective sense. I certainly think Maeda is an awful writer, so as far as I'm concerned, your entire paragraph is trash.

As for the stupid "look at this screenshot, it's so awful" garbage, seriously, why do you care so much? I sure don't.

I don't either, but that's because it's kind of a lazy way of demonstrating what is a much bigger problem.

If screenshot composition bothers you so much that you'd literally hate on an entire series just because you dislike how some of the CG composition looks... seriously, I find that pretty ridiculous. Ad besides, there are a million animes that look far worse, and most of those "bad" shots don't look bat at all. First example of that, that shot of the stairs from the last AB argument. I still have no clue why you people were bashing it, that shot looked fine. As for the "room" ones, sure, that looks a little silly, but seriously, who cares... the visuals overall look great. The show was high budget and looks it, with good visuals and plenty of flash.

It certainly looks high budget. That doesn't mean it looks GOOD though. Honestly I can't get over how completely horrible the color scheme is, and the excessive amount of filtering and bloom present just makes it look worse.

But visuals certainly don't matter anywhere remotely near as much as story, writing, and characters. That's the kind of stuff that matters the most, and that's Key's greatest strength.

Yeah, you already know how I feel about this nonsense.

Now, sure, Key isn't for everyone. It is true that their thing is trying to make you sad, and feel bad for the characters. That's what they do, and they do it well. And sure, not everyone's going to like that. But how does that translate into and that means everything they do is horrible"? That's ridiculous too. Just because you dislike the style it doesn't mean it's bad.

The style isn't the main problem, it's the lack
And on that note, Key is very popular just about anywhere else online (in anime-fan circles) for plenty of good reasons, mostly related to their skill at writing. There are plenty of things I dislike, but I always try to separate things that I dislike for purely opinion reasons, from things I think are objectively bad... too few of the Key and AB-bashers here make much of an attempt at that.

KEY has its fanbase. Whatever. That's a dead-end argument from the start because the sample we're talking about in terms of anime fans at large is meaningless. Comparing sales and fanbases for fun and merriment is one thing, but I could just as easily be content with unfairly calling the entire KEY fanbase a bunch of tasteless fools (I don't btw).

But, is Angel Beats emotionally manipulative? Yes, of course it is.

All fiction is manipulative to some extent. Some are just better and making it acceptable than others.

The goal with Angel Beats was to make a show that mixed Key drama with comedy and some action. Key had a lot more experience with Key-style tragic drama than with comedy and action, and it does show, but all three elements were done more than well enough to hold the show together quite well, and it was interesting to see a somewhat different Key show -- it was their first anime that wasn't harem, for instance. Progress!

Well one of the show's problems is how not seamless the comedy and drama are. Turns out that was a bad idea. I agree that it's definitely different from Maeda's usual fare. It's still bad, just in different ways.

Also, yes, it has a fantastic ending. I was really worried about how it'd end, and a different ending could have completely ruined it for me, but instead, the ending affirmed the value of the whole series. I loved it, couldn't have been better.

I loved the ending for how hilarious and stupid it was.

Story, characters, script, writing, some of the humor, and some of the action. It'd be harder to say the things I didn't like about it, really. My main complaint would be that it IS a bit over-depressing at times, which can be hard to get through. Apart from that though, fantastic all around.

Suit yourself. You like what you like after all. Just don't expect to change anyone's mind.

Due to the nature of what the series is about, it does make sense that most of the plot would be in flashbacks, though...

Then he should have tried a different story.

wonzo

Banned
Ginga e Kickoff!! 14

Ahahaha goddamn, Shou got owned so fucking hard. That was a great start to the episode, especially thanks to Erika!

ginga14erikalol.jpg

Anyways, this was a pretty touching episode that fleshed out Hanashima's past and
seeing how he copes with it catching up on him
. The way in which this tied into his current problem with the Triplets Own Goals and how he deals with it was really well done. Thankfully there's another ~25 eps of this left.

also this line made me feel old as hell. :(

Perhaps it's because I never got far into Bodacious Space Pirates
Indeed, that's certainly your first, and most significant, problem.

but them being Privateers never made sense to me either. It's not that I don't get the concept however in the first 5 episodes they seemed like anything but Privateers, or what I'd consider Privateers.
They are privateers, just privateers that mostly do non-violent missions these days.

They seemed to have ridiculously high credentials for mere pirates authorized to raid enemy vessels, they hold government jobs. There is no perceivable war going on that would make the concept of privateers a sound one. Later,
one of the legendary pirate ships is the schools
They aren't rich and powerful people, so what do you mean, ridiculously high credentials? And they do have some jobs, even if you don't think they're "good enough".

But anyway, issues relating to these eventually become a significant plot point in the series. It's not ignored.

To me the whole thing felt forced, like they wanted pirates, of course, and they needed to be in space, awesome, they wanted them to be mostly girls, really awesome, and then they realized that to appeal to the audience they want they needed to be young girls, in school, and then because of that wanted to step away from the negative repercussions that having them be honest to God pirates would have brought with it so then they had to go in and come up with a contrived explanation for them being legal pirates so that they could all be wholesome, and young, girls fighting the good fight while going to school and shit.
Actually, the fact is that the main crews aren't young girls. The MC is, and her club does step in to command the Bentenmaru in one arc, but for the most part it's piloted by a professional, and certainly not all-female, crew. I doubt that this was how it was conceived, myself... yeah, they aren't evil pirates, but the fantasy pirate usually isn't. See just about everything from the US with pirates in it -- they're not usually villains, even though in reality they mostly were. Bodacious Space Pirates' depiction of pirates isn't much less accurate than the usual Western stuff you see in the Monkey Island series or something. It's different, but not less accurate.

And anyway, regardless of the origin for the plot, there are actually solid in-universe explanations for why things got to where they are now. Regardless of where the idea came from, it was thought through.

Perhaps my read on this is wrong, perhaps it makes perfect sense later in the series, maybe there is a war going on, in secret or at the least that the average high school girl would be oblivious to(in a hypothetical future that's a super connected world where news probably travels faster than it does here presently, I doubt it but whatever), that would make all of it make sense or perhaps my read is correct but it's handled well enough that it's plausible(lol, but from the first 5 episodes I highly doubt this) but that's how it felt to me. Forced and stupid.
If the Bodacious Space Pirates depiction of pirates is forced and unrealistic, then the pirates in just about everything are the same, I think. And really, that actually is somewhat true -- the pirate in the media isn't a particularly historically credible figure, for sure. But this is no worse than the rest of it, and at least the series DOES explain, with plausible explanations, how things got to the state they're now in.

Oh, and finally, most people (apart from me) seem to have started liking Bodacious Space Pirates starting from the second arc, which starts somewhere around ep. 7. So you almost got through the so-called weaker part... of course I loved most of the first arc, but few people here agreed. But starting from ep. 7, the series got a lot more popular.

Campione!

I really have no idea what this shit is going on about. It just kinda moves from scene to scene. Like:
So they go to deliver the book and decide to stay at the witches house, why? Then they throw in a random drinking scene, why? Bedroom locks from the outside, why? Girl's a fan of riding on top of cars, why? Of course the big battle at the end was pretty silly, so that God with the long name gave him a power because he wants to be defeated, it's starts to happen and he acts surprised, shouldn't he be going out with a smile here? Kiss power up for the main? Well, supposedly using that power's supposed to kill him but since the story's told from his point of view as a recollection I'm guessing he lives. Sigh.
Was pretty shitty.
Yeah, it's pretty bad. And as I said in my review, I hated the sexism too... of course she has to be repeatedly saved, simply because she's a girl and he's a guy. Who cares that she's a trained fighter while he's a civilian nobody? He's the MC, so he rescues the girl multiple times (I don't know which way you'd think on that issue...). But even besides that, the whole thing's really bland, subpar, and uninteresting. There were some decent parts of it (I don't completely hate the characters, for instance), but overall... zzzz.

Yeah, the characters speaking Japanese is pure fantasy, but the looks? Not so much. Many Italians are of Celtic or Germanic descent. Erica in particular is perfectly fine, being Milanese and all.
Hah, as if that's the reason for it. No, the obvious reason has to be that almost all Caucasians in anime are blonde. So, she's blonde, because she's caucasian. Because, you know, all white people are blonde, right? :S

Well, of course! And not just this time >_<
I think the rest of your post there proves why I said "this time"...

One could say instead one of the many who's are able to look past its initial pretense and see what it's really about!
No, the initial concept is exactly what it's about. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise...

The fanservice serves as a distractor. Just because the series chooses to mix it in for external reasons does not detract from the actual theme of the show. If the show was trying to serve as a pure incest harem fantasy, it's certainly being very obtuse about it when it doesn't have to be. The standard otaku segment that such things pander to would have eaten it up even without all of the development and characterizations in play.
It's incest harem comedy/fantasy which never quite confirms the relationship between the MC and his sister, because leaving it 99% on the side of incest, but never actually saying "this is what it is for sure", is basically why the series exists, above anything else... well, except for people reading because they like one of the other girls more, of course, but his sister is the lead girl.

Soma

Kuuchuu Buranko End

0r6Ww.jpg

"No One Is Perfect"

Hahaha, fantastic.

Ah, I'm really glad I gave this show a shot. There might've been a time where I would be cautious of something like this due to the odd art style and the strange nature of the show, but honestly I think it's one of those anime where pretty much everyone needs to see at some point. Very excellent. As someone who's been interested in the field of psychology this show was extra special to me. Many of the individual cases that were dealt with may have some obvious resolutions but watching each character handle their issues was absolutely entertaining.

There were a few weak episodes (wasn't a fan of the the child star actor and the novelist stories) but when the show is good, it's amazing to watch. Episode 10 was probably my favorite story. That ending was really beautiful. The episodic yet interwoven structure of the show is masterfully crafted. There's quite a bit of repetition across each episode yet it all works so well. Not sure what else to say about this show.

It's weird, it's unique, it's endearing, it's stylish and probably most importantly... it's thought provoking. Wasn't sure what to expect since tsuritama was my only exposure to stuff directed by Nakamura but I'm really glad I watched this.

Also I still can't stop listening to Mayumi's theme song

Really excited to start Mononoke soon.

Enron

Banned
Man, Joshiraku is awful. There was only one funny bit, and the rest of the time I was hoping a giant robot would smash into the theatre and stomp them into little bits.

Next!

As anime fans, we should understand the concept of being in love with something that has no physical body more than anyone.

I have to admit that I couldn't agree with this statement more.

I'll need to work on my ghost moe tomorrow. I'm trying to get out of the habit of marathoning my way through things, you see.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Joshiraku 01:

Deliciously snappy nonstop dialogue that blends a "natural conversation" feel with self-indulgently sharp writing. For someone like me who loves SZS, -gatari, and the like, this is heaven. Kumeta is the man. There are some untranslatable puns here and there, but it's something that I just have to accept with incredibly wordy Japanese humor.

I'm not really trying to substitute actual post content with pictures, but "I liked it when x character said y!" on its own is difficult to turn into real discussion material. Here's an assortment of my thoughts on various moments in the episode:

The intentionally over-expressive animation while she said this was a great touch.

Also, best girl of the season.

The ludicrous nature of moon runes EXPOSED.

This sketch was surprisingly open in its imperialism! I kind of cringed when they shouted "give us our land back!" toward Manchuria. Not cool.

I hereby declare Joshiraku day as bestday for the rest of the summer.

wonzo

Banned
could we be witnessing the birth of the HidaManabi line?!?!?!

it's all heavily implied that it takes place off screen. the closest we'll get to that is the belly button or back of the knee kissing!

Man, Joshiraku is awful. There was only one funny bit, and the rest of the time I was hoping a giant robot would smash into the theatre and stomp them into little bits.

Next!
croisee1a.jpg

Muv-Luv 1-2

D:

D:

I'm kind of glad that the CG was such utter shite and
most of the deaths were humorously sudden
, because I think it would have been too bleak to watch otherwise. It really did a great job of making me feel like the world is well and truly fucked and that the shows' creators hate me.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I don't know who posted the ending to Joshiraku in here but I've been addicted to it since then.

The first 20 seconds or so are incredible.

Hyouka 12
kvUPA.gif

Awesome, that ED was awesome.

Fun episode. This cultural festival is so full of life and color. Man, it was a treat to just watch it. So many different characters, all the different costumes, all that energy!

Watching Eri basically walking around and being amazed by everything going on. I would have definitely been stopping at every booth to see what's going on.

The "mystery" is fun and typical, but it works in the setting and I'm looking forward to see how it will end up.

And once again, I approve of this new ED!

jman2050

Next!

Not everyone can appreciate the glory of Kumeta. Completely understandable.

wonzo

Banned
More Hidamari Sketch stuff already?

I need to keep my butt on schedule.
It's a joint advertisement campaign for the Manabi Straight and S1 Hidamari Sketch BD boxsets which come out on the same day. Maybe something like a spin-off production will come out of it but who knows~

jman2050

I'm not even bothering with the crazy names Kumeta came up with for this show.

Fortunately, as is true with most anime, hair color is the ultimate shortcut.

Black > Purple > Orange > Green > Yellow

Thoraxes

I'm not even bothering with the crazy names Kumeta came up with for this show.

Fortunately, as is true with most anime, hair color is the ultimate shortcut.

Black > Purple > Orange > Green > Yellow

I forgot about that. That's why Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Ma&#333; was more commonly referred to as Color Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom