• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
All of the
power-up forms
are pretty ugly, but
Super Sonic Reika
is by far the worst. What the fuck where they thinking?

Gotta cure fast.

I'm not a big fan of the Princess Forms myself; the costumes being reduced to formless glowing flowy things with huge garish crowns is a total downgrade. I hope they just appear as part of the attack sequence involving the unicorn things and that they're not permanent.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Chitose Get You! - 01

b7FdF.png

I... don't know what to say.

7Th

Gotta cure fast.

I'm not a big fan of the Princess Forms myself; the costumes being reduced to formless glowing flowy things with huge garish crowns is a total downgrade. I hope they just appear as part of the attack sequence involving the unicorn things and that they're not permanent.

You can probably count on that.
That's how the power-up forms worked in Fresh, Heartcatch and Smile: the girls just use them to spam the new finisher.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tari Tari 2

I like this show. The visuals are really smooth and the characters are enjoyable. Guess I'll stick with it! Sawa is still freaking (redacted), and I liked the thing they did with
the song they were singing at the choir presentation at the end, haha.

That Wien kid's shtick is already getting tired, though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Shining Hearts - Shiawase no Pan 01

Everybody is sexy, happy, and baking bread.

My thought process: "What is this about?" -> "Why is everyone baking bread?" -> *look at title* -> "Oh shit it's actually about bread."

Also god damn that was a lot of "Everyone's happy and having fun" montages.

I'm not even sure I'd say it was terrible. In fact, I didn't walk away feeling anything.

Andrew J.

Hyouka 12

They never show Mycroftko's whole face. Interesting.

A They Were Eleven reference? Mayaka's cosplay is a deep cut.

There's a special joy in keeping shop at a place that hardly sees any customers.

The dancing was cool, but what we really need is a gif of Houtarou leaning out the window and clapping. I bet it could supplant citizenkaneclapping.gif as a go-to sarcastic response, at least one AnimeGAF.

I bet this is gonna play out like a chain of deals sidequest from a video game, Houtarou continuously trading seemingly useless items until he finally gets something that's vital to selling a bunch of copies.

Hyouka 11.5

A beach pool episode full of delicious low-res fanservice. I'm ok with that.

The mystery wasn't bad, it made sense and if I cared to actually pay to the visual clues I probably would have gotten it.

I did like that everyone was talking about Houtarou's lack of doing anything and his one word response. It was a good episode and feels odd for it be a side episode despite all the fanservice.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Shining Hearts - Shiawase no Pan 01

Everybody is sexy, happy, and baking bread.

My thought process: "What is this about?" -> "Why is everyone baking bread?" -> *look at title* -> "Oh shit it's actually about bread."

Also god damn that was a lot of "Everyone's happy and having fun" montages.

I'm not even sure I'd say it was terrible. In fact, I didn't walk away feeling anything.

oh god I'VE FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAILED

you should have at least announced your intent to watch first so that I could tell you the secret to getting through the early episodes:
every time someone says "Rick's bread", take it to mean "Rick's penis"

You can probably count on that.
That's how the power-up forms worked in Fresh, Heartcatch and Smile: the girls just use them to spam the new finisher.

Yeah, I assumed that it was basically this season's
Super Silhouette
. I would really hate to be wrong about this.

7Th

I forgot to mention the extremely fun but completely unnecessary mob-character dancing scene in Hyouka 12. That shit was just KyoAni rubbing on everyone's faces how superior they are in terms of TV animation.

jman2050

Joshiraku 1

I have no idea what I just watched but I THINK it was awesome.

This scratches my SZS itch quite well.

The OP is catchy and the ED is ED of the season, easily.

Hyouka 12
tumblr_m6vfjvesb91r0rpa8o1_500.gif

There were so many good and great parts. Fukube's room has so many bags, wow, but was great. Cultural festival was good as well as the various things, Satoshi laughing so much, Oreki as well. It was enjoyable.

This
tumblr_m6vfrhT0LR1r0rpa8o1_500.gif

New ending theme was alright.
and nice for his sister to drop in, but why are they hiding her face?

But otherwise, I dont think I remember what the plot was but it was good episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka 11.5

I can't believe this episode was relegated to the manga pack-in ghetto. It's almost a disservice to the anime because of how integral it is to the last arc.
oxDp6.jpg

If I go off on my House comparison, this is basically one of
the Wilson smacks House around to get him back on his game episodes that happens after House has a breakdown
Case in point - screen grab with minor spoilers here.

In fact, going into episode 12 without this episode makes the series worse. Sure, most nerds might have already seen the stream... but to watch the episode like that - in low res with all that shitty advertising text on the screen - come on. I wonder if this was a shitty co-marketing deal and the director/producer/whomever had to fight with management to get it to stream before episode 12. I'm glad it aired, but if I hadn't watched this episode before 12, I would have been pretty pissed.

Hyouka 12
5MIVLl.jpg

LGFaMl.jpg

Gao~~~~

So, beyond Chitanda having ADHD and the episode seemingly having nothing to do with the what happened last week (really, thank god for 11.5), the moment I saw this in the episode, I knew exactly where this arc would go.
Wsc77l.jpg

The breakdown of Oreki in the previous arc made me put my chips all in for this series. I hope that the rest of the series lives up to that arc. As far as I'm concerned, KyoAni picked another winner to adapt - even if everyone else hates Nichijou and Hyouka and K-On. lol

7Th

As far as I'm concerned, KyoAni picked another winner to adapt - even if everyone else hates Nichijou and Hyouka and K-On. lol

I love Hyouga (my show of the year so far) and K-ON!(!), but I think I've already made it known that I only really like around 50% of Nichijou. Fucking slowass Professor gags ruining a perfectly good cartoon. Either way, we don't know how much is source material and how much is KyoAni. I mean, K-ON!(!)'s greatness was 90% KyoAni.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Flower Declaration of Your Heart Season Two 01
Not a bad episode, but I wanted this series to come back to deliver on the unfulfilled promise underlying the original run. Instead the characters seem to be losing their charm and individuality while the show treads in familiar waters. Right now the show doesn't offer very much outside of the above average robot battles that had limited screen time in this episode. The show is at its best when you have vivid streaks of color running across the sky as the fights play out, but the music was seriously downgraded on this episode, and it was one of the last things breathing any life into the series. Pulsating techno finds itself muted by a mess of strings that attempt to add gravitas to scenes. The cut off ending was really jarring, and I don't see things shifting quickly enough to move Declaration out of its comfort zone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I love Hyouga (my show of the year so far) and K-ON!(!), but I think I've already made it known that I only really like around 50% of Nichijou. Fucking slowass Professor gags ruining a perfectly good cartoon. Either way, we don't know how much is source material and how much is KyoAni. I mean, K-ON!(!)'s greatness was 90% KyoAni.
I like Hakase Hakase Hakase (Nano Nano Nano). :(

KyoAni definitely saved K-On!! from itself, but I'm more willing to believe in the Hyouka novels if only because the writing is so strong. The person adapting the novels to make it work for television has done a great job as well (ignoring whatever the fuck happened to episode 11.5), but I have to imagine that the core of Oreki comes from the books. But who knows, maybe the books are shit and KyoAni saves the day again.

It's definitely the richest of the anime that aired last season and, at least so far, that have aired this season.

Ladies VS Butlers! 9
I8CMv.png

Are there actually any other teachers in this school or are they it?
After seeing Flameheart kiss loser boy, Tomomi gets jealous, so she asks him out on a date. Flameheart, though she wouldn't admit it, is angered by this and spies on them the whole day. Basically the whole show was repetitive with Akiharu asking Tomomi why she asked him out on a date, with her just brushing it off as just because, and with Flameheart embarrassing herself in front of the other school mates she runs into during her spying. Wasn't the best episode by long shot, but it was nice to see that Tomomi is human and isn't just there to pick on Akiharu all the time.
UAsis.png

Are you sure about that?

7Th

I like Hakase Hakase Hakase (Nano Nano Nano). :(

KyoAni definitely saved K-On!! from itself, but I'm more willing to believe in the Hyouka novels if only because the writing is so strong. The person adapting the novels to make it work for television has done a great job as well (ignoring whatever the fuck happened to episode 11.5), but I have to imagine that the core of Oreki comes from the books. But who knows, maybe the books are shit and KyoAni saves the day again.

It's definitely the richest of the anime that aired last season and, at least so far, that have aired this season.

The writing in Hyouka definitely feels stronger than the writing of K-ON!(!), but I don't think the story would feel as polished or seamless if it wasn't for GodAni quality direction and animation. I mean, the Culture Festival in episode 12 was by far the best and most lively Culture Festival I've seen in TV anime. Everything felt so... alive. GodAni delivering the goods and all that.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 1:

Well, okay. That was definitely something. Repeating most of the first half of the episode in the second half was either quite clever, since you actually see our eponymous amnesiac dusk maiden in the repeated parts, or just a method of saving money on animation. I wouldn't call the animation good or anything, but it doesn't look like it had much of a budget behind it. I'm not sure why it feels like the character designs are off, and I don't know if that is intentional or not. Faces seem a bit grotesque.

It seems sufficiently interesting at least. And it's pretty funny.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 1:

Well, okay. That was definitely something. Repeating most of the first half of the episode in the second half was either quite clever, since you actually see our eponymous amnesiac dusk maiden in the repeated parts, or just a method of saving money on animation. I wouldn't call the animation good or anything, but it doesn't look like it had much of a budget behind it. I'm not sure why it feels like the character designs are off, and I don't know if that is intentional or not. Faces seem a bit grotesque.

It seems sufficiently interesting at least. And it's pretty funny.
But you're not supposed to like the first episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The writing in Hyouka definitely feels stronger than the writing of K-ON!(!), but I don't think the story would feel as polished or seamless if it wasn't for GodAni quality direction and animation. The Culture Festival in episode 12 is by far the best, most lively Culture Festival I've seen in TV anime. Everything felt so... alive. GodAni delivering the goods and all that.
Oh yes, it looks more "real" than school festivals that you see in jdramas. lol

But even within the school festival, you can see the wheels churning when it comes to where the characters are going. A lot of that is how the characters are animated and how the scenes are shot, but there's a deliberateness of the pacing and to the writing that is hopefully leading to a grand payoff. (I really hope it's a twist on the type of story that the pen is choreographing. But even if it is just the standard story, the fact that
Oreki's sister is the one who set everything up in the first place is itself pretty damn genius

(And funny enough, my problems with Sword Art Online, thematically anyway, are actually addressed fairly well in Hyouka. Go figure.)

duckroll

Tari Tari - Episode 2

I really like this show now. The characters and situations feel natural, and their motivations are pretty earnest. The direction this week felt better than last week, and scenes moved at a brisk pace. The music and singing is really pretty good, and I like how the dynamics are panning out. The way they cut to the ED was really well done too, and it's a smart way to make invested viewers not skip the ED since the song continues. Will definitely be watching more of this show. PA Works is redeeming themselves pretty quickly with Hanairo and this. Canaan and the Layton movie are almost a distant memory now!

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

So yeah, that fake Niconico video in Tari Tari episode 2? Not so fake anymore.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18254765

Wow. I don't know if this is definitely a viral video (it looks like it, since the user is an account for the "choir club" and it was set up just to upload this video), but it sure seems like it. I really like these viral gags that PA Works does with their works lately. They did the real phone number thing with Hanairo too, and that was fun... for the people in Japan at least. Lol.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
oh god I'VE FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAILED

you should have at least announced your intent to watch first so that I could tell you the secret to getting through the early episodes:
every time someone says "Rick's bread", take it to mean "Rick's penis"

I don't plan on watching the whole thing, but since you said it was so bad I couldn't help but check it out.

I've got some Lagrange season 1 to catch up on among other things.

But you're not supposed to like the first episode.

I guess I'm doing it wrong then.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 2:

Well, I was sufficiently curious about the SHAFT-isms in this show to look up the director. It seems that Shin Oonuma has worked quite a bit with Shinbo and also directed some shows for SHAFT, notably ef: A Tale of Memories. ef has been on my watchlist forever and ever, I suppose I'll have to get around to it.

So, this show is very SHAFTy. Despite this, I am liking it quite a bit. It tends to follow the distinctive visual style employed by Shinbo but doesn't go overboard with it. It obviously has a limited budget but what limited animation there is, seems to be employed reasonably well. There was already more animation in the first 2 episodes than in most entire SHAFT productions.

I wonder how Prisma Illya is going to look with this director and studio producing the animation. I'm pretty sure from what I've seen already that these guys can handle comedy and fanservice just fine, which crosses off 2 of the 3 big concerns someone would have regarding the handling of that show. The last big concern, action scenes, is usually limited by budget and so I guess we won't know until Prisma Illya airs in 2013.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Tari Tari 2

Great episode and loved listening to the ending song. I wonder if this is how they're going to do this for the rest of the series or if they're going to do it more often than not. It's very intersting and makes me want to stick around more often. Great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom