• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
wonzo and firehawk. If you ever get the urge for Toku stuff again. Check out Garo. Good choreographed fights, dark demon related stuff, also tits.

Pretty much an 'adult' toku.
but does it have delusional otakus fighting imaginary battles in the streets to protect akihabara from soulless corporations and developers?

Seems like a good opportunity to use hackamatsu gone by.
akamatsu isn't even worth the extra effort

Wonzo and firehawk should jump on the PGSM bandwagon.
i'll watch that after i finally get around to watching Sailor Moon

https://twitter.com/project_magi/sta...45541991743489

The issue of Otona Animedia coming out this Friday will have an article on the Magi anime, as well as an anime illustration poster. Part of the poster features Alibaba!
i want that poster

She looks high most of the time.
that's what makes the best girl even better

Yes.

It's titled Bridge on the River Kawaii.
*earthquake*

"My... my supports are shaking on their own?!"

madp

The Light of El Cantare
They're running out of holidays to base episodes around though! Well, I suppose there's nothing wrong with more dopey feel good adventures about being nakama and such. It's worked so far anyway. :p

Japan needs to institute National Precure Day just for the INCEPTION in future installments of the series when they have to cover that particular holiday.

Shoehorned holiday episodes almost always suck, and Tanabata is almost always the nadir. Far be it for me to criticize another culture's sacred traditions, but stretching hanging a wish from a tree into an entire episode always has snoozefest results and if I never hear about Hikoboshi and Orihime in another anime again it'll be too soon. We've got nowhere to go but up until Obon, hopefully!
Unless that already happened, in which case Halloween!

All Precure series need a Uranus and a Neptune!

Every
series, I think you mean.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Japan needs to institute National Precure Day just for the INCEPTION in future installments of the series when they have to cover that particular holiday.

Shoehorned holiday episodes almost always suck, and Tanabata is almost always the nadir. Far be it for me to criticize another culture's sacred traditions, but stretching hanging a wish from a tree into an entire episode always has snoozefest results and if I never hear about Hikoboshi and Orihime in another anime again it'll be too soon. We've got nowhere to go but up until Obon, hopefully!
Unless that already happened, in which case Halloween!
Well, that's more like when American shows do their stupid "New Years resolutions" episode around the holidays because... that's just the thing to do. You know, it's been half a year, and I can't even remember if they had a hijinks-filled Valetines episode involving badly made chocolates and such.

If it really is another 20ish weeks of personal growth episodes, I'm really curious to see what the writers come up with in terms of what else they could possibly learn about themselves or each other.

They seem to be running out of gimmicks as well - they've been shrunken, there was the body swap, they've become invisible... I guess that leaves time travel?

Every series, I think you mean.
I know Aoi Hana would have been better if they showed up!

Managed to beat Persona 3 FES. All of my feelings.
;_;

That ending can make anyone a MCxAigis shipper. Goddamn.
Akihiko or bust!

Grzi

Has anyone here seen Girls Bravo?

I just realized it was directed by Ei Aoki so I'm interested in seeing how his directorial debut looks.
I also had no idea he directed Ga Rei Zero, that kind of explains why that show was as good as it was, although it had no real right to be.

Grzi

Space Brothers - 14

After seeing what this episode was about, I thought it was going to be crap. It was great of course. That's about it.

I love the new opening (I like a lot of Sukima Switch songs), although the first one was a better fit for the show.
The new ED is perfect.

I just realized it was directed by Ei Aoki so I'm interested in seeing how his directorial debut looks.
I also had no idea he directed Ga Rei Zero, that kind of explains why that show was as good as it was, although it had no real right to be.
Was one of my first few non mainstream anime. really liked it back then.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, that's more like when American shows do their stupid "New Years resolutions" episode around the holidays because... that's just the thing to do. You know, it's been half a year, and I can't even remember if they had a hijinks-filled Valetines episode involving badly made chocolates and such.

If it really is another 20ish weeks of personal growth episodes, I'm really curious to see what the writers come up with in terms of what else they could possibly learn about themselves or each other.

They seem to be running out of gimmicks as well - they've been shrunken, there was the body swap, they've become invisible... I guess that leaves time travel?

Precure never observes Valentine's Day/White Day. They're supposed to be as pure as the driven snow, y'know, and we can't very well have the affections of boys mucking that up, now can we? I think we can agree that obligatory holiday episodes suck regardless of series or culture.

And honestly, personal growth can go out the window for all I care as long as there's fun to be had. I know that they have to have episodes that are just straight-up moralizing and instilling values because of the target age group, but stuff like the relay race episode just fell so flat because the message was played so straight. The school trip to Osaka might have been the best pair of episodes because it just ditched the gimmicks entirely and focused on fun character interaction and interesting animation instead, and more like this would be more than enough to sustain me to the end of the series if necessary.

Toei are masters of barely repackaging episodes from previous seasons of Precure, so they have hundreds of gimmicks to fall back on if need be. I don't think we'll be seeing those go away any time soon.

Soma

Managed to beat Persona 3 FES.
All of my feelings. ;_;

I've told many people that P3's ending is quite possibly my favorite ending in any videogame I've played.

Part of me is kinda hoping the new movie dwells on the aftermath of the game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can someone tell me if K-On picks up after episode 3?
Im trying to decide if I should start it back or start on Natsu no Arashi.
It picks up in season 2. lol

And watch both at the same time!

Precure never observes Valentine's Day/White Day. They're supposed to be as pure as the driven snow, y'know, and we can't very well have the affections of boys mucking that up, now can we? I think we can agree that obligatory holiday episodes suck regardless of series or culture.

And honestly, personal growth can go out the window for all I care as long as there's fun to be had. I know that they have to have episodes that are just straight-up moralizing and instilling values because of the target age group, but stuff like the relay race episode just fell so flat because the message was played so straight. The school trip to Osaka might have been the best pair of episodes because it just ditched the gimmicks entirely and focused on fun character interaction and interesting animation instead, and more like this would be more than enough to sustain me to the end of the series if necessary.

Toei are masters of barely repackaging episodes from previous seasons of Precure, so they have hundreds of gimmicks to fall back on if need be. I don't think we'll be seeing those go away any time soon.
Aria did okay fake-Italian holiday episodes at least!
Come to think of it, Sora no Woto did fake-holiday episodes too!

Didn't they learn something on the school trip? I don't really remember much about it, other than the group getting split up, but I'm sure they learned to work hard or some such. :p
Even that gimmicky episode with the comedy duo had a lesson about trying your best!

What plot/SF-lite gimmicks are left? One of them wishes they were never born and everyone forgets her for an episode? One of them gets hit by an aging gun and becomes an adult? Another one of them becomes a little girl?
You know, I guess the possibilities really are endless.

Pffft!
Toriumi
route is best route.
She doesn't exist for feMC!

I've told many people that P3's ending is quite possibly my favorite ending in any videogame I've played.

It does have a very :firehawk ending, when all is said and done. Better than just riding away on a train. :p

Ladies VS Butlers! 3
cBCAY.png

Sorry Drill-chan, you missed your chance.
Thank god for censorship, otherwise I might have seen a male crotch! Was a pretty meh episode since it was centered around 19-year-old-sama. If that's your thing, more power to ya.
pWLeN.png

Izayoi approved episode.

sonicmj1

This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to any persons real or imagined are purely coincidental.

Dear Diary,

My name is sonicmj1. I'm a member of Anime-GAF who has devoted his life to Hitokage-sama.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 24

Oh, Hitokage-sama! You're so cool, and kind, and beautiful! Whether you're spreading joy, or secretly sowing mischief, you're always perfect!

OqgLQ.jpg

I was really impressed when you sabotaged the production of A Woman Named Mine Fujiko. The look on duckroll's face when she saw that terrible ending could only have been cultivated by a true master such as yourself.

Your schemes are so elegant, designed so they would never sully your beauty. Even when they backfire, your suffering is even more noble than the pain you inflict.

OyJ4T.jpg

Your lackeys' facial expressions could never compare.

Someday, I hope I will be a man worthy of your affection, Hitokage-sama.

gD3PY.jpg

Stupid sexy icarus-daedelus...

Until then, I can only dream of the day when we're together.

BwSTe.jpg

I made a sketch of this ideal world. You're the one on the left.

This was the only way I could justify suffering through a Nanami episode that was a recap of earlier Nanami episodes.

brofist-1.jpg

Can someone tell me if K-On picks up after episode 3?
Im trying to decide if I should start it back or start on Natsu no Arashi next.

It really picks up after Azunyan makes her first appearance. Which is actually pretty late in season 1. They make up for that by having lots of Azunyan in season 2.

Dresden

she is a non character but they use her introduction to start hammering home the inevitability of graduation and the :firehawk that follows

not much in S1, though; unless you're a #worstgirl fan like unknown that's not really a turning point.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

While I'm usually not
a fan of main character deaths, this one felt right.

It's definitely up there on my list for best endings.

She doesn't exist for feMC!

This is a terrible mistake that needs to be corrected.

wonzo

Banned
not much in S1, though; unless you're a #worstgirl fan like unknown that's not really a turning point.
it's true that most of that stuff doesnt appear until S2 but they do touch upon it with her introduction. unfortunately that didn't really make her character any less a bland waste of space

sonicmj1

Revolutionary Girl Utena 25

Awww yeaaaahh. It's the beginning of the end.

EGlEO.jpg

And it's totally fabulous.

Parts of this episode have a pretty uneven style, but the direction is even more blatantly metaphorical than ever. And really, isn't that what matters?

It feels like the focus of the last stage of the show will be the relationship between Utena and Himemiya. Despite some of the potential revelations in both 23 and this episode (
I'm pretty sure Anthy owes her entire existence to Akio in some way.
), my yuri readings are off the charts. Maybe I just don't understand the true meaning of friendship.

WxyrA.jpg

I mean, that's what friends do for each other, right?

I was elated to see
a new set of stock dueling footage, along with a new ED!
What a nice treat!

There's some jazzy music in the beginning of the B-side of this episode that was a neat change-up from the show's general aural mood.

Were
Touga and Akio lying on a bed together, shirts open, with red-colored lighting?
I'm just trying to figure out if that's as significant as it sounds.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hey, man, until a few days ago the guy had been rocking an avatar for months that was secretly incredibly explicit! Something dark and cunning lurks behind those dead Nichijou eyes.
Secretly? HA HA HA! It was obvious if you were in the thread it was made. (Only reason I'm quoting this old post is because it was quoted on the last page)

Also, the scene at the end where Cartman starts crying as he stuffs himself with cookies was like... I don't know. It's the most hateful thing I've seen in a while.
Is there anything he can do right. You stuff your face with ice cream when you are depressed.

It is pretty hilarious.
I laughed way more than I should have at the joke about British stubbornness.
Poor Eru.
I wonder how much the Mangaka is aware of the British stereotypes he managed to pull off.

Yes, yes I have. I often recommend it in those random recommendation threads that pop up.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
These were happy tears.
That's even worse. You don't stuff you're face when you're happy since the stuffing is used to ease the pain. Unless he hates the concept of happiness which would mean he is depressed to be happy and thus we are back to icecream. What a tragic character and it's no wonder he put me off from even watching the show.

Cool, cool.
So, no one else has seen it?
I now realise I've literally become my avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom