• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Accel World - 12

There's things that this show does well, where it's all about ROBOACTION and the way it plays around with the idea of a virtual world, and then . . . there's stuff where it just turns into a miserable harem. Predictably this incongruity is demarcated by the shifts between the in-game stuff and the 'real world' events.

Fortunately most of the episode focused on ROBOACTION, and the conclusion of the Calamity Armor stuff was pretty cool. Too much talking in between, but it was suitably climatic and the transition of the virtual world after the fight was nice.

Jex

Few second scene make you hesitant that would not repeated again in 60+ episode series? Okay.

While I can't speak for future episodes I would stress that totally inappropriate moments of humour and levity are injected into the series on many occasions and I always find them distracting. It's actually part of a trend.

duckroll

Accel World - 12

There's things that this show does well, where it's all about ROBOACTION and the way it plays around with the idea of a virtual world, and then . . . there's stuff where it just turns into a miserable harem. Predictably this incongruity is demarcated by the shifts between the in-game stuff and the 'real world' events.

Fortunately most of the episode focused on ROBOACTION, and the conclusion of the Calamity Armor stuff was pretty cool. Too much talking in between, but it was suitably climatic and the transition of the virtual world after the fight was nice.

Some day, I will be able to find all the ROBOACTION in this show edited into a single youtube video, which I can enjoy without all the garbage which makes this show unwatchable. At least, that's what I hope.

Jex

Some day, I will be able to find all the ROBOACTION in this show edited into a single youtube video, which I can enjoy without all the garbage which makes this show unwatchable. At least, that's what I hope.

I am pretty sure that someone is already working on that. It's just how the internet works.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isn't actively sexuailzing her... kind of the point?
Well, for someone named Lust, I don't seem to recall her doing much in the way of "sexy time". lol

Well, those "arcs" in previous series were little more than a few character-centric episodes in a row to introduce and characterize a new Cure that appears part of the way through the series. Smile can't do that because it introduced all of its Cures at the beginning of the series, so I anticipate that it's going to stick to its usual even rotation of character episodes. I understand if that seems less substantial than the formula you're used to, though.

After Smile, I find that I'm a proponent of introducing all of the main characters at the beginning of the series. Mid-series Cure reveals are always fun, but Cure Muse's reveal in Suite kind of soured me on late character introductions after it revealed just how easy it is to botch them. She was integrated into the team well into the second half of the series, only received a couple of characterization episodes, and essentially became a background afterthought for the rest of the series due to her lack of interaction with the other main characters and the rush to make it to the endgame. Ultimately I'll take characters that are consistently well-established through the series over the momentary excitement of a new character, even if it means more episodic content.

Well, there's something exciting about a character who is a #GameChanger that blows up the dynamic of the show.

I haven't actually watched a new Precure all the way through, but even with Sailor Moon, the villain's plans would amp up to some mega confrontation. I guess they could just reset the world after this arc and then just have the enemies collect more evil energy or whatever it's called in the show why the Precures collect more decors. It's not like kids know to expect any more, I suppose. lol

Dresden

ROBOACTION is made all the sweeter by wading through the garbage.

At this rate, it's basically watching selected episodes and disregard the rest of them. It's basically the same thing.

duckroll

Isn't that what the monthly sakuga videos are for?

Nah, I prefer something more focused. I would like to see entire fights if they're done well, and not just the best animated moments of those fights. I like the virtual world designs in the show too. It's just that the actual story makes it so unappealing.

At this rate, it's basically watching selected episodes and disregard the rest of them. It's basically the same thing.

Really? I'm open to recommendations!

Makoto

Yuki getting owned was one of the best parts!
ibb2zSbHnW5FxG.gif

Seitokai Yakuindomo 06
You know what, when this show switches it up and doesn't just toss out jokes one after another, it's pretty good. I was taken back by the idol ghost hunt and fighting robots sections and enjoyed them. The ghost hunt wasn't bad either. But, beach episode next so I guess it's back to rapid fire jokes again.

fertygo

While I can't speak for future episodes I would stress that totally inappropriate moments of humour and levity are injected into the series on many occasions and I always find them distracting. It's actually part of a trend.
The anime actually cut a lot Arakawa's "sudden gag" and people actually complaint about that.
It makes me worried about the integrity of the series as a whole.

Because Arakawa not gave her "sexy" design and naming her "lust" for some reason.

RrXZ7.gif

Really? I'm open to recommendations!

Episode 11 has pretty much been the only one full of full action action without the harem antics interrupting it.

Someone with more willpower to run through the other episodes will probably have to provide the time stamps for the other episodes.

Dresden

their dead hearts will never understand Cartman's moe. (admittedly i've only watched the last two eps)

speaking of... I don't get why Black Lotus has boobs when her human counterpart's main trait seems to be that she has a flat chest.

cUDOOl.jpg

Dakkumauji said:
Episode 11 has pretty much been the only one full of full action action without the harem antics interrupting it.
That episode has its share of stupidities, too.

But then Niko came and all was right with the world.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, there's something exciting about a character who is a #GameChanger that blows up the dynamic of the show.

I haven't actually watched a new Precure all the way through, but even with Sailor Moon, the villain's plans would amp up to some mega confrontation. I guess they could just reset the world after this arc and then just have the enemies collect more evil energy or whatever it's called in the show why the Precures collect more decors. It's not like kids know to expect any more, I suppose. lol

Nah, the Bad End Kingdom isn't going anywhere until the finale. There's always the mid-season confrontation and the endgame confrontation, but both are always against the same opposing force. Usually mid-season there's some kind of power-up/revival of the true Big Bad and the Cures get wrecked within an inch of their lives until the last-minute appearance of a new Cure saves them, though in Smile it looks like that the Big Bad revival is just going to be met with a power-up.

Something about the villains' motives will have to change with the arrival of their leader and the Cures will have to operate differently in battle accordingly, but non-battle stuff (which comprises the majority of each episode) will probably remain largely the same. It's always going to festivals and baking cupcakes right up to the moment that they get slapped in the face with ENDGAME.

fertygo

What works in manga format doesn't always work in anime.

I'm not the one that complaining though! just saying there's more complaint for the opposite.
Lust was fine in the first adaptation, at least from what I recall.
Still think few second of "lewd" (lol) that you can barely notice from sexy chara that maybe only happening once in whole series cannot ruin the integrity of the series.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
speaking of... I don't get why Black Lotus has boobs when her human counterpart's main trait seems to be that she has a flat chest.
Because that's her idealized self maybe? I don't know. It doesn't have to be a one to one thing.

But flat is justice. (I mean, there's a reason why she's naked and DFC in almost every piece of promo art + the OP.)

Also, the scene at the end where Cartman starts crying as he stuffs himself with cookies was like... I don't know. It's the most hateful thing I've seen in a while.
Goddamn I really need to finish the series. This sounds amazing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
While it's true Arakawa specifically designed Lust to be sexually appealing, (her words were along the lines of "Women should be va-voom!"), she never indulged in blatant fanservice. Lust was always just kind of radiating effortless sex yet never flaunting it.

Also, the scene at the end where Cartman starts crying as he stuffs himself with cookies was like... I don't know. It's the most hateful thing I've seen in a while.

I did cringed when that happened. Sure, there could be some reason behind it, but man did that not help the series in any way.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
While it's true Arakawa specifically designed Lust to be sexually appealing, (her words were along the lines of "Women should be va-voom!"), she never indulged in blatant fanservice. Lust was always just kind of radiating effortless sex yet never flaunting it.

Yes, there was a deliberate and careful balance. Attractive and alluring, yes; fap material, no.

This needs to happen.

Even if it has the potential to end anime as we know it? We're playing with fire here. We'd rue the overwhelming success of moe bridges for the rest of our lives, weeping gently from our bathtubs full of 500 yen coins.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nah, the Bad End Kingdom isn't going anywhere until the finale. There's always the mid-season confrontation and the endgame confrontation, but both are always against the same opposing force. Usually mid-season there's some kind of power-up/revival of the true Big Bad and the Cures get wrecked within an inch of their lives until the last-minute appearance of a new Cure saves them, though in Smile it looks like that the Big Bad revival is just going to be met with a power-up.

Something about the villains' motives will have to change with the arrival of their leader and the Cures will have to operate differently in battle accordingly, but non-battle stuff (which comprises the majority of each episode) will probably remain largely the same. It's always going to festivals and baking cupcakes right up to the moment that they get slapped in the face with ENDGAME.

They're running out of holidays to base episodes around though! Well, I suppose there's nothing wrong with more dopey feel good adventures about being nakama and such. It's worked so far anyway. :p

There certainly is.
All Precure series need a Uranus and a Neptune!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom