• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The one with the school bus wasnt boring
that was the episode when she finally saved up enough money to visit the girl that was her penpal that died like right the day before right?
. The one with them at Nobunaga's table, I also dont think was boring either.
that was the one with the girl who had amnesia and was traumatized cause Nobunaga kept her from the frontlines, right?

I didn't mean to imply that all of the pictures that I posted came from bad episodes (three of those are from Episode 18, which is my favorite in the series), but I should probably clarify that.

Articalys

So anyway, Ryoko Shiraishi just got married a day before she turned 30 years old -- happy birthday to her today, by the way -- and a couple mangaka whose characters she's voiced drew some pictures to congratulate her:
From Takashi Shiina, creator of Zettai Karen Children (where Shiraishi voices Aoi Nogami)

HjvCD.jpg
From Karino Takatsu, creator of Working!! (where Shiraishi voices Kazue Takanashi)

RWCnI.jpg

Jex

[Natsuyuki Rendezvous] - 10

For the small minority of you who haven't seen this episode yet I feel like I must tell warn you about something: this episode isn't very good. I am actually going to go out on a limb and say that it's the first badly made episode in the entire show. It really fails on every level: the direction is bad, the pacing is bad and the story doesn't progress, or at least it doesn't progress as far as it should considering they have twenty minutes of time at their disposal.

Now, I know what the rest of you are thinking, "hasn't the pacing been awful for weeks now? The story is really spinning it's wheels." Well, as I explained in this post, I felt like plenty of things were happening to the other major characters in the story. This week
Hazuki frees himself from the confines of the sketchbook, confronts Shimao and discovers what's been going on with his body.
That's all that happens. We don't learn anything else about Shimao and Rokka's past, or Hazuki's past, or gain any greater insight into anyone's character or their relationships. In this sense it's completely unlike what's been going on the last few weeks.

The problem isn't solely confined to the story, unfortunately. The entire episode looks and feels cheap. The subtle, nuanced and realistic direction with careful pacing is completely absent. There's no pacing either - things seem to take forever to happen then they should because each scene runs on for rather too long for no apparent reason. It feels like they needed to stretch the material to make the episode count.

One really obvious and clunky way they do this is by inserting pointless flashbacks to stuff that happened only a few weeks ago. Don't infantile the audience by 'reminding' them of events that they've never had a change to forget. On a similar vein there's quite a bit of unnecessary exposition from Hazuki which exists solely to explain the blatantly obvious. I hate stuff like this because it makes you feel like the show is talking down to you.

I mention earlier that this episode looked cheap. Looking at a few screenshots of this episode might not give you at that impression because the art still looks very pleasing:

NTR101-1.jpg

however this just serves to conceal the fact this episode has far less animation than the ones that have proceeded it. Long stretches of the episode consist of little more than still frames, for example 7:21 all the way through to 8:12. When they're not stringing together a series of still frames and pretending that it's a scene they are tracking over still shots to give the illusion that something is moving on screen. I counted over 20 different shots where the camera just tracked lazily over a still image and numerous others where they just zoomed in on a still image.

To give you an idea of how excruciating it got just take a look at this slow track-down that lasts eleven seconds:

NTR103.jpg

NTR105.jpg

NTR106.jpg

NTR102.jpg

I just hope they're saving their time, budget and talent for next weeks episode.

cajunator

Banned
the idolmaster 10

wtf does green tea icecream taste like?

Gotta love how they seem to have new ED each eps. How many idolmaster songs are there atm?

I was going back through all the music posted in here and came upon this post.
I'm actually eating some right now. Green tea ice cream is godlike.

/XX/

Most, if not all, episodes of Sengoku Collection reference specific movies to some degree of blatantness. I can't say I've seen it myself, but I gather this episode pays a number of highly specific homages to this Eastern European version of Alice in Wonderland.
That's a brilliant movie; recommended to everyone in the thread.
Wait a second, hold it, wait! Jan Švankmajer directed a feature length film? Man I did not know about this! I mean, I haven't searched for this information and all I remember seeing from him were his shorts (that I already explained in other thread how much I appreciated when I was younger http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26099577&postcount=63). Woah! I feel stupid for not looking into his full filmography earlier.

Heh! Now I see that in the quote I made to Brobzoid's reply in that thread he already mentioned that movie... oh boy, am I really stupid or what?

Tell me more about it, please! Your opinion and such.

Articalys

Binbougami ga 10

They did a good job with that story, bringing the next character into the cast. Looking forward to the final story arc for the anime next week, though having read ahead in the manga it's a real shame we're not going to get anything beyond it.

Also:

ICDUV.png

(if anyone wants this they can take it)

Joe Molotov

Tari Tari 10

Wein singing his theme song (including guitar riffs) was awesome.

Also, so many feels, why can't I hold them all? ~uguu~

Articalys

Saimoe Round 1 Group F, Day 3 Results

F03
1st 343 Yui Funami @ Yuru Yuri
2nd 156 Riko Mine @ Hidan No Aria
3rd 153 Irisviel Von Einzbern @ Fate/Zero

F07
1st 384 Kuro Matsumi @ Saki
2nd 288 Subaru Konoe @ Mayo Chiki!
3rd 26 Sera Eguchi @ Saki

F11
1st 327 Ririchiyo Shirakiin @ Inu X Boku SS
2nd 245 Yoshika Miyafuji @ Strike Witches
3rd 92 Tooru @ A Channel

-------------------------------

Today's match preview
Yumi Hara at risk of a vote split.

Thoraxes

Its not a problem if you put them in quotes.

The thing is, is that they still take up and use the same amount of bandwidth, and leave the same sized memory footprint.

It's the same reason I always resize all my images too, just to reduce filesize and browser strain for anyone who may be on lesser PCs or Phones that can't handle as much.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Accel World 22 Real Impressions

Great episode. Solid action and Haru becomes a man! Yeah. Also, Chiyu sucks.

N.B. Obligatory KYH is awesome and cute comment.

cajunator

Banned
The thing is, is that they still take up and use the same amount of bandwidth, and leave the same sized memory footprint.

It's the same reason I always resize all my images too, just to reduce filesize and browser strain for anyone who may be on lesser PCs or Phones that can't handle as much.

I probably have one of the slowest computers here. This thing is from like 2007.

Kazzy

Really enjoying all the anime music posted.
Good way to psyche myself up for the worst workday of the week.

You don't happen to have the collected list on hand, do you?

I wouldn't mind having a perusal myself, especially as I can use it as a gateway to discovering new shows.

Narag

Binbougami ga! 10

Hell yeah more Bobby & Momou! Didn't really enjoy the first half otherwise. Second half delivered though.

Branduil

Accel World 22
tumblr_ma02jvb8u01qbxqfpo1_500.png

Well the music was pretty good this episode, and I wonder if that was a new track during the discussion in the battle arena bar with Blood Leopard, sounded good. Awesome episode I felt. I loved the field of battle with Rusto Jigsaw and all of that.
Brain implant chip discovery scene was hilarious just for Nomi's expressions but proved that Haru has truly matured as weve gone through. Incarnation System is deep and I like how it has benefits and consequences. hope Haru and Taku manage to avoid meeting the same fate that Chromu Disaster met with the rampant Chaos thing.

Anyway, I hope through some odd and weird turn of events Nomi is recruited into the ranks of Nega Nebulous, he should make an awesome addition.

Narag

Gundam 08th MS team episode 9+10

Okay, show went downhill, love on the battlefield, get that shit out of my Gundam.

Show had a tonal shift iirc due to the director dying. He did the first 6 episodes and someone took over after him. For what it's worth, The Shuddering Mountain two-parter you're coming up on delivers.

Jarmel

Banned
The composer for Psycho-Pass is Yugo Kanno. He recorded live music for it back in August. He has also worked with Production IG before on Library Wars (both the TV series and the recent movie), and he has also collaborated with Katsuyuki Motohiro several times before on his live action works.

http://masachan4994.blog116.fc2.com/blog-entry-1763.html
http://ja-jp.facebook.com/yugo.kanno

The music for Birdy was probably the best thing about it so that does give me hope although it looks like there are a lot of smaller names working on the show.

Here's a Birdy theme he did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6kc8utR5lg

Really amazing. He used jazz in Birdy so I'm really hoping Psycho-Pass does. Classin' up the place.

Articalys

The music for Birdy was probably the best thing about it so that does give me hope although it looks like there are a lot of smaller names working on the show.

Here's a Birdy theme he did:

Really amazing. He used jazz in Birdy so I'm really hoping Psycho-Pass does. Classin' up the place.
Well, that's just awesome. Now I'm really looking forward to it (and the Birdy Decode OSTs are now on my "look into this later" list).

Thud

Hunter x Hunter (2011-)

Jeuj, up to date once more. The nen training is finished and the phantom troupe arc has begun. Although it's still the beginning. I really loved Hisoka's expression when he told Kurapika about the Boss.

Mandoric

Banned
Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Bangaichi - END

so my rewatch is over

What a final Opening and so much foreshadowing (well, 0:39) - three years before the end of the manga.

What a glorious show. I would do everything for some new episodes just to give the show a worthy end.

Holy shit
you mean someone actually noticed that OP text? I wasn't just wasting my time?

(There was apparently a mail-off episode for people who bought $600 worth of Blu-rays sometime last year? I wasn't quiiiiite devoted enough, and raws are so iffy I'd been sourcing my own through cash or terrible deals since like Goku 2. Also, SHAFT production staff was going on about wanting to do a S4 on Twitter right when the manga ended.)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo 05-24
I'm surprised that I grew so tired of this show. It really just wore incredibly thin with me in every respect, from its art style to its themes everything just became repetitive and sort of lost its excitement. This adaptation is certainly far from my favorite, with the focus being removed from the Count himself and the science fiction elements amounting to very little, while being a strange mixture of '90s tech and objects only possible in the far flung future. The chronological back and forth is also tiring without really bringing anything worthwhile to the table. Quite a dull show by the end that wasn't really able to hold my interest, but I still liked it for the most part. I found myself wishing that the relationships established were better maintained by the end, as that's where things really seemed to fall apart.

I can't tell if this means I'm in for bestshow or a lot of insufferable angst stemming from some convoluted mixture of unrequited love, loveless sex, and unconsummate love. Or both.

Can't wait!!! Too bad about those character designs, though.

Wait, so if I'm reading this right,
the two people that actually love each other never have sex?
Sucks to be them.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The composer for Psycho-Pass is Yugo Kanno. He recorded live music for it back in August. He has also worked with Production IG before on Library Wars (both the TV series and the recent movie), and he has also collaborated with Katsuyuki Motohiro several times before on his live action works.
I keep reading that as Yoko Kanno!
Shin Sekai Yori will be such a weird show... I'm hyped:

SPOILERS FOR SEX
Everything is better with sex. Maybe it will have some
NTR

jman2050

Holy shit
you mean someone actually noticed that OP text? I wasn't just wasting my time?

(There was apparently a mail-off episode for people who bought $600 worth of Blu-rays sometime last year? I wasn't quiiiiite devoted enough, and raws are so iffy I'd been sourcing my own through cash or terrible deals since like Goku 2. Also, SHAFT production staff was going on about wanting to do a S4 on Twitter right when the manga ended.)

DAMNIT SHAFT DO IT

Jarmel

Banned
Well, that's just awesome. Now I'm really looking forward to it (and the Birdy Decode OSTs are now on my "look into this later" list).

He's actually pretty diverse and uses a lot of instruments. Here's some thing from Shinzanmono.

I'm actually really curious about his bio and what styles he was trained in. It seems he leans more towards classical/jazz pieces. I wouldn't expect many pop songs out of Psycho-Pass. Really would love to see an interview by him as I'm wondering if he is using Cowboy Bebop as a point of reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OCBkfggSYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxut8JJ0Heg

Here's a particularly cool piece from Toshkan Sensou with that jazz component.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAVy0qu5qV0

Also looking at this image:
iVGfNlTnyESdS.jpg

It seems the music is definitely going to be heavy on the strings. I'm not seeing any horns which makes me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom