• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm personally looking forward to G-Reko and that Heinlein inspired series Shinkai had in mind.

Edit: Alas, it is true that the anime industry seem to lack animators with a lot of expertise in mechatronic/technical drawing and the budget issue is a major factor as well, so I'm keeping my expectations tempered.

When do they air?

/XX/

I'm sorry but I think most people will recognize this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tki5y2Llyp8

You just have to accept reality.
Yeah, I hear you. And I didn't want to dismiss in any way their works on many other projects with that comment (not even the recent friends: Naki on Monster Island movie), but I thought that with an Oscar under his belt Kunio Katō & company would help to promote the company's image as a powerhouse on different animation areas, be more famous outside Japan to produce more risky or small concepts... well... "whatever will be, will be":

:: CATSUKA PLAYER :: Kirin – Greenlabel – TVCM 1
http://www.catsuka.com/player/kirin_kuniokato1

:: CATSUKA PLAYER :: Kirin – Greenlabel – TVCM 2
http://www.catsuka.com/player/kirin_kuniokato2

:: CATSUKA PLAYER :: Kirin – Greenlabel – TVCM 3
http://www.catsuka.com/player/kirin_kuniokato3

Though I know some former fellow students in Paris, maybe it's time to reveal my power level.
You know we will need your impressions! Good luck with that!

Jex

remember that anime about the console war between Sega and Nintendo?

S5YpG.jpg

I think I can recognize a few.

I'm trying to forget.

jbug617

Banned
Kono Naka Ni Hitori, Imouto Ga Iru! 9

So a new candidate appears. She looks sort of like him and he is smart enough to get the DNA test done.
yes they are siblings

Jex

Sengoku Collection 23

Oh my god. This entire episode was pretty much the Romance of the Three Kingdoms meets a pre-school sandbox. This was hands down one of the best episodes of this series I've seen, if not the best.

sengokuc23d.jpg

It seems to me that the whole show is just an excuse for various staff at Brain's Base to mess around and try weird stuff out. It would be cool if that's what they were doing but it's hard to tell without reading any interviews of other material from the staff working on the project.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It seems to me that the whole show is just an excuse for various staff at Brain's Base to mess around and try weird stuff out. It would be cool if that's what they were doing but it's hard to tell without reading any interviews of other material from the staff working on the project.

All I know is that episodes 5 and 8 more than made up for this:

sonicmj1

I haven't really been following this thread very closely since June.

Fair enough. Given the pace of this thread, they're just drops in the stream anyways.

Monday: Haibane Renmei
Tuesday: Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Wednesday: Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team
Thursday: Gunslinger Girl
Friday: Paranoia Agent

So we'll get to GSG 10 on September 13th.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fair enough. Given the pace of this thread, they're just drops in the stream anyways.

Monday: Haibane Renmei
Tuesday: Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Wednesday: Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team
Thursday: Gunslinger Girl
Friday: Paranoia Agent

So we'll get to GSG 10 on September 13th.

What's GSG? Gunslinger Girl?

fertygo

Hells (Angels)
That was a good and funky movie, I like it... The artstyle make you having doubt, but I like it after 10 minute or so.

Now the cons is, the pacing is very chaotic if you want say it like that.. too much thing happening despite the movie is almost 2 hour long but yet everything still like went too fast, the chara development feel so sudden that way. Apparently 2 hour movie still not ideal to adapt 3 volume of manga. They can try more harder adjusting thing IMO

I like the story and message as a whole though. Its pretty much :cosmic material.

And thank guys I think I will pick Wolf Rain first out of my backlog.

EDIT : Now I having doubt :(

By that logic nobody should marathan Revolutionary Girl Utena, either!

But Utena is at least good.

Star Driver is repetitive even when you watch it once a week (and bad, to boot).

More importantly, while Utena may feature repetitive moments and stock footage, there is plenty of character development going on and change taking place. Star Driver has none of that.

Lain

Hell's Angels

Visually really nice, it captures the best part of Shinichi Hiromoto's drawing style and all of its craziness.
Story wise, I felt the movie didn't show enough of the relationship between Rinne and Stealer as well as with her classmates. That part felt a bit rushed, which is somewhat ironic in a 2 hours movie. The movie was still good on the whole, but because of things like that one, it gave me a disjointed feel here and there.

Having said that, I'd love to see an animated version of GoGo Heaven or Bushidou.

duckroll

Sengoku Collection

I have no idea what I have gotten myself into, but wonzo recommended that I check out certain episodes of this crazy Brains Base show so I'm reporting back on my adventure.

Sengoku Collection is, as far as I am aware, a fanservice driven f2p social mobile card game in Japan featuring gender swapped heroes from the sengoku era who happen to either be vapid lolis or generic cleavage exposing girls. I don't think there was any creative or artistic thought put into the creation of the original product, other than to scam otaku with microtransactions.

Apparently along the way, someone decided that it would be a good idea to expand the awareness of the game by having an anime. They were probably hoping for some Z-tier studio to bid for the job and to produce something akin to Ikkitousen or whatever other crappy fanservice anime there is which is meant to promote and sell character merchandising. Instead of getting what they wanted, they got Brains Base instead. How this happened, the world might never know.

Which brings us to the show itself. What good could possibly come out of this? Why would any studio actually take on a project like this and try to make something remotely interesting or different out of it? I have no fucking idea, but apparently Brains Base actually tried! Let me explain...

Sengoku Collection - Episode 5

From what I gather, the show is usually pretty bad, but is completely episodic, with each episode focusing on a different character. So there is no loss at all in simply watching the episode which actually ended up being interesting either art-wise, direction-wise, or script-wise.

So anyway, this episode is about Bokuden. Historically, Bokuden is a famous swordsman in the sengoku era of Japan. This is a comparison between a live action film's depiction of Bokuden, and Bokuden as seen in Sengoku Collection:

bP67v.jpg
QGIiO.jpg

As you can see, this entire scenario is pretty stupid. But what you might not know is that the stupidity does not end there. It grows into... insanity. The gender swapped sengoku characters are not in fact in the sengoku era anymore. Because of some plot device, they have all been teleported to modern day Japan and now co-exist as part of modern Japanese society. It's sort of like "what if superheroes were real and lived among us openly" except replace that with gender swapped female fanservice pandering samurai legends instead. Yeah... I dunno either.

Okay, so this has to be a pretty wretched anime series right? It's probably filled with fanservice gags and nonsensical generic jokes generated by a production factory with no consideration towards art or talent right? No one would seriously try to take this insane episodic concept and actually... try to make interesting stories right?! Apparently, someone did.

What would happen if Michael Moore lived in Japan in a setting like this and decided to make a biased documentary about the danger of the open availability of swords and the bad influence samurai have on society? Well, if you want to know, watch this episode! I'll let the screens speak for themselves:

jHWTg.jpg

8uL05.jpg

fertygo

I don't know what the hell Brains Base smoking lately, just 2-3 years ago they seems like the new up-and-coming force, making a couple successful show.

But this year they make a production project for SC and Ixion Saga, what the hell...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So I'm looking at some Shin Sekai Yori articles on SeventhStyle and apparently the manga focuses on yuri sex while the novel doesn't. So... i'm very confused now...

BluWacky

When duck hits the lottery, he will hire away Butch to found a studio named
Ntr+.

I genuinely laughed out loud at this!

Need help.

s-CRY-ed
or Wolf Rain?

S-CRY-ed is a superpowered action show. Wolf's Rain is a misery-filled drama about homoerotic wolves. They're not really directly comparable beyond the level of slash present.

Neither is a bad show, but it depends what you want. Wolf's Rain is a mood piece, with evocative music, art and direction, whereas S-CRY-ed is mostly about kicking ass.

fertygo

So I'm looking at some Shin Sekai Yori articles on SeventhStyle and apparently the manga focuses on yuri sex while the novel doesn't. So... i'm very confused now...

Apparently the novel win the same award (CMIIW)like that (Seirei no) Moribito won years ago.

So yeah, I'm also confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom