• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So wait, the show is about journey but the group has random sex times for random reasons or something? I'm even more confused now....

7Th

So I'm looking at some Shin Sekai Yori articles on SeventhStyle and apparently the manga focuses on yuri sex while the novel doesn't. So... i'm very confused now...

The sex is in the novel, it just doesn't fill entire pages with it. The manga follows the original story, but it detailedly draws all the sex, turning it into kind of the main selling point.

kayos90

The sex is in the novel, it just doesn't fill entire pages with it. The manga follows the original story, but it detailedly draws all the sex, turning it into kind of the main selling point.

So is this an actual novel or an LN. Are there translations online?

cajunator

Banned
I thought you were better than that. Stop cheating on everyone.

Somebody has to love the losers :(

Fair enough. Given the pace of this thread, they're just drops in the stream anyways.

Monday: Haibane Renmei
Tuesday: Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Wednesday: Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team
Thursday: Gunslinger Girl
Friday: Paranoia Agent

So we'll get to GSG 10 on September 13th.

I have no hope of keeping up with regular streams. Thats why I buy stuff. In this case everything there except Gundam, but those other four are particularly strong buy recommendations.

Jex

More filth for Japan's youth. Outrageous.

duckroll

Apparently the novel win the same award (CMIIW)like that (Seirei no) Moribito won years ago.

So yeah, I'm also confused.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon_SF_Taisho_Award

17th (1996) Gamera 2 directed by Shūsuke Kaneko.
18th (1997) Shinseiki Evangelion by Hideaki Anno
24th (2003) Mardock Scramble by Tō Ubukata
25th (2004) Innocence by Mamoru Oshii
29th (2008) Shinsekai yori by Yusuke Kishi

No need to be confused!

7Th

More filth for Japan's youth. Outrageous.

It's even serialized in a SHOUNEN magazine!

So is this an actual novel or an LN. Are there translations online?

No translations online and it's an actual novel.

No need to be confused!

Worthy successor!

/XX/

So wait, the show is about journey but the group has random sex times for random reasons or something? I'm even more confused now....
In journeys you discover yourself, and while doing so experiment new things with others along the way, is customary... or something...

...now seriously, that I think is a typical premise of many 'road-movie style' or enlightening voyage works, and sex is always part of it for tight groups of youngsters in search of themselves, like in the gem Y Tu Mamá También. It really is a good example of that.

PjkUF.jpg

Awesome mobile suit designs.

kayos90

Doesn't that not canonically exist in the first place anymore?

It never existed. But the US fans did think it existed because they thought everything on the website version was canon. 16.5 was just a doujin that the author wrote. The author wrote it but a doujin nonetheless.

The pv had me interested and now this, guess Ill bail out now.

There's apparently male-male sex too... idk...

fertygo

S-CRY-ed is a superpowered action show. Wolf's Rain is a misery-filled drama about homoerotic wolves. They're not really directly comparable beyond the level of slash present.

Neither is a bad show, but it depends what you want. Wolf's Rain is a mood piece, with evocative music, art and direction, whereas S-CRY-ed is mostly about kicking ass.
Yeah, the only thing that make those two comparable is they the most remarkable and define each studio in early 2000's.
I want to see both, but I want to pick one at time, so I'm asking.

No need to be confused!

Thanks!

I'm wrong.. but that list make thing undestandable somehow lol.

duckroll

Sengoku Collection - Episode 8

This episode centers on Hideyoshi. For those familiar with Japanese history, or if you just played a lot of Onimusha, Sengoku Musou, or Sengoku Basara games, you will know that he is the mastermind who succeeded Nobunaga and unified Japan, ending the sengoku era. Let's look at a comparison between how he is remembered today, and how Sengoku Collection represents the character:

PliBD.jpg
8jpnW.jpg

Right, okay, that... sure is... similar. Hold on while I make another appointment with my psychiatrist. It's going to take a while to get this strangeness out of my mind. Anyway, yes, so Hideyoshi in this show is a little girl who loves rice, rice, and nothing but rice. As a cautionary tale to other girls in Japan who might find themselves loving rice too much, the story in this episode is a homage to Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, and whatever other insanity lies in the realm of dreams.

Hideyoshi performs a harvest dance ritual, chases an escaping onigiri, and falls into a hole Alice-style and ends up in a dream world with talking rice. I'm not making any of this up. This also happens to be a very, very pretty dream world. There is also a lot of intentionally nonsensical dialogue, and.... at some point there is a tank moving across a desert. There's a lot more bizarre stuff which I couldn't spoil even if I wanted to because they have to be seen to be believed, but I'll leave you with some shots of the visuals to prove I'm not lying:

MCCeq.jpg

VD1Ik.jpg

MIyca.jpg

Sex and sexuality no longer being taboo is a somewhat lazy way of showing that society and the times have truly changed. Whether there's more to it than that or not, I dunno.

Mass Effect Paragon Lost Trailer

Lieutenant Vega — Freddie Prinze Jr.
Treeya — Monica Rial
Messner — Vic Mignogna
Milque — Todd Haberkorn
Essex — Eric Vale
Nicky — Josh Grelle
Captain Toni — Travis Willingham
Brood — Justin Cook
Mason — Marc Swint
Admiral Hackett — Bruce Carey
Kamille — Laura Bailey
April — Jad Saxton
Christine — Kara Edwards
Archuk — Jason Douglas
Captain David Anderson — Patrick Seitz

Why couldnt they get the actual Anderson and Hackett :(

DiGiKerot

Right, okay, that... sure is... similar. Hold on while I make another appointment with my psychiatrist. It's going to take a while to get this strangeness out of my mind. Anyway, yes, so Hideyoshi in this show is a little girl who loves rice, rice, and nothing but rice. As a cautionary tale to other girls in Japan who might find themselves loving rice too much, the story in this episode is a homage to Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, and whatever other insanity lies in the realm of dreams.

Most, if not all, episodes of Sengoku Collection reference specific movies to some degree of blatantness. I can't say I've seen it myself, but I gather this episode pays a number of highly specific homages to this Eastern European version of Alice in Wonderland.

Apparently.

Mandoric

Banned
Idle realization: At this pace, by the time fall season starts, we're going to be about 3,000 posts short of OT4. And that's not factoring in final-ep meltdowns.

Mandoric

Banned
I think I like his the best. The last dude is definitely close there as well, though I guess the first one has the better style, hair, and the accessory. Girls look bland though.

The low-wide ribbon ruins the female design. As an ascot it isn't terrible, but cinching immediately under the bust while not putting it on display is the province of maternity wear and toddlers' jumpers.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
hahahahah, we even roped duckroll into the Sengoku Collection cult, it seems. 18 and 19 are the other ones that you should watch for the time being. I really like 16 too, but it has no actual artistic merit, it's just a great comedy episode.

Welcome to a few weeks ago, duckroll!

Months, even!

Jex

There's a lot more bizarre stuff which I couldn't spoil even if I wanted to because they have to be seen to be believed, but I'll leave you with some shots of the visuals to prove I'm not lying:

MCCeq.jpg

VD1Ik.jpg

MIyca.jpg

So, I guess the real question for you, and for other Sengoku Collection fans is: how badly would your "enjoyment" of the show be hampered if the background art had been farmed out to some C-tier studio? As Sengoku Collection is a work with a really loose tenuous grip on reality I feel like Studio Pablo are really allowed to go all out when it comes to their amazing backgrounds.

Jex

[Natsuyuki Rendezvous] - 10

This show has more layers of NTR than any other work known to man. It's quite impressive.

cajunator

Banned
The low-wide ribbon ruins the female design. As an ascot it isn't terrible, but cinching immediately under the bust while not putting it on display is the province of maternity wear and toddlers' jumpers.

I've never seen maternity wear with a bow like that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So, I guess the real question for you, and for other Sengoku Collection fans is: how badly would your "enjoyment" of the show be hampered if the background art had been farmed out to some C-tier studio? As Sengoku Collection is a work with a really loose tenuous grip on reality I feel like Studio Pablo are really allowed to go all out when it comes to their amazing backgrounds.

The only reason that I've made it through most of the truly terrible episodes is because they're visually stimulating. Narratively, ninety percent of the show is utterly vapid shit, but it's often really really pretty vapid shit. The amount of genuine artistic talent poured into the show is truly dumbfounding given the subject matter and limited audience:

edit: these aren't necessarily examples of images that come from "bad" episodes, I'm just skipping over the Kaneko episodes since duckroll is posting the highlights. If anyone here wants to experience Studio Pablo beast mode, just watch Episode 18. It's the best episode of the series anyway, even above the Kaneko episodes.

Narag

Gintama 15

This was so amazingly stupid but in a good way!

Edit: Oh god Elizabeth is almost the same color as the quote box for me so she stretches into infinity. I can barely see the image border.

The only reason that I've made it through most of the truly terrible episodes is because they're visually stimulating. Narratively, ninety percent of the show is utterly vapid shit, but it's often really really pretty vapid shit and, beyond. The amount of actual artistic talent poured into the show is truly dumbfounding given the subject matter and limited audience:

The one with the school bus wasnt boring
that was the episode when she finally saved up enough money to visit the girl that was her penpal that died like right the day before right?
. The one with them at Nobunaga's table, I also dont think was boring either.
that was the one with the girl who had amnesia and was traumatized cause Nobunaga kept her from the frontlines, right?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gintama 15

This was so amazingly stupid but in a good way!

Edit: Oh god Elizabeth is the same color as the quote box for me so she stretches into infinity.

the color is just barely different, but it really does look like that unless you look really hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom