• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naruto Shippuden 269

I always considered the Kinkaku and Ginkaku fights to be one of the more memorable ones in the war, and thought it translated pretty well to animation here. Contrived or not, it's a cool end to a fight in a series of battles that had otherwise been pretty derivative.

Narag

Gintama 20

DhjrEl.png

If only.

I was more creeped out by this than I rightfully should have been.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm always really tempted to change to a football avatar or something and go into one of those kinds of threads to pretend to be an extreme anime hater and shit up the thread with pedo arguments, advocating violence against fans, masculine WannabeAlphaGAF rhetoric, etc. If only I thought that I wouldn't get banned for trolling...

OceanBlue

I'm always really tempted to change to a football avatar or something and go into one of those kinds of threads to pretend to be an extreme anime hater and shit up the thread with pedo arguments, advocating violence against fans, masculine WannabeAlphaGAF rhetoric, etc. If only I thought that I wouldn't get banned for trolling...

What...? Other sports fans or anime fans? Maybe both?

cajunator

Banned

You know whats more fun? Going into sports threads with an anime avatar and tag.

Branduil

Noisy Birth

ilXRku8bJBDF6.jpg

A weird short music video. The main reason I watched it is because it's the earliest work by Yasuhiro Yoshiura I could find. A couple interesting shots, but for the most part it did nothing for me. I don't care much for trance, and a lot of the primitive digital art I just found ugly.

Narag

One Piece 20

Scurvy? Guess that's one reason they had fruit trees on the ship later on. Sanji looks like a bro too.

Branduil

Kikumana

iKLgKPessgr7q.jpg

iWhIgqXEjel7T.jpg

Yoshiura's second work. Here we finally see some of his trademarks, like 3D camera movements, first-person POV shots, mixes of CGI and traditional animation, and dramatic chiaroscuro. The lighting is particularly pronounced here as the short is entirely void of color.

I found it well worth the 6 minutes it took to watch it; there's no dialogue, and it's full of intense and striking imagery. It's hard to really say there's a clear narrative per se, but the mood it provokes, and from that the theme, is hard to miss. It's a shame the image quality is bad, though.

Narag

Oda Nobuna 10

DUINkl.jpg

Lolieyasu sighting.

Episode was weird with the fanservice start and some of the QUALITY background faces. That said, I got into it as things picked up but god damn at that ending.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kokoro Connect 10
This feels cheap and emotionally exploitative in every sense. It's not particularly effective either. I simply cannot bring myself to care enough for this show to manipulate me the way it wants to. But it's not even just the writing that's inadequate. The show looks awful, and it looks terrible even while it's cutting corners. So characters sit unmoving in empty ugly spaces for extended periods of time and everything somehow becomes even more boring. I'm almost embarrassed to have watched so much of it before giving up on it completely.

Branduil

Aquatic Language

Feels like Time of Eve 0.3. Not bad, but nothing particularly special either. It didn't have the powerful imagery of Kikumana, and it really does feel like Yoshiura experimenting with some of the ideas and techniques he would put to much better use in his most well-known work.

wonzo

Banned
Kyousogiga 2012 1

This was pretty good and somewhat slightly less incomprehensible than the OVA was. I'm definitely looking forward to the other 4 ONA episodes of this, even if the quality of the video source leaves much to be desired. Hopefully this, the OVA and the PV get a proper Home release someday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom