• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The songs collection CD set for the second season already had a second CD containing the "Cassette Mix" versions of the songs - all imperfect and fazed and the like. I'd have to imagine that the cassette would just be a dump of the contents of that CD.
It's disappointing, but that makes sense. lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yes, they did, though I think it was a special limited item from preordering certain CDs.
I\m sure someone in marketing thought this was a genius idea.

I'm sure someone will copy this idea and sell a special edition of a PC game that also includes the contents of the DVD on 3,263 floppy disks.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Saint Seiyamon 19

It wouldn't be Saint Seiya Omega if it did not recycle plotlines from the original show, I guess. :/
At least Ryuho wasn't as stupid as his father when dealing with Medusa.

The amount of contrivances going on in this script is mind-grating too. That's at least thrice in the past ten episodes already the team has split up for no apparent reason except... huh, I dunno.
GyaMA.png
Fangasm levels: out of the scale
and then the Libra cloth appeared and I orgasmed everywhere

duckroll

Other than the marketing, has there been any comments on the show itself such as the design process?

My first instinct is that this is going to be overproduced to hell but the fact that they got people who don't normally work on anime, should make this interesting.

There have been quite a number of comments. We know that Motohiro and Shiotani starting sharing ideas 3 years back about making a new original IP. The concept for Psycho-Pass seems to only have fully solidified about 2 years go or so, so that's when things got serious. The story and world details should be mostly Urobuchi's work, with contributions and ideas from Motohiro. Over a year ago Amano got involved to design the characters, and that's also when the actual scripts were being worked on.

It's easy to point at all that and go "see! they're all taking it seriously! they've been planning this for a long time and working on it for ages!" but at the same time it's just as easy to go "where the fuck is the actual footage? meh"

FujiTV has to put up or shut up really soon.

Jarmel

Banned
Tokyo Marble Chocolate- fin
So at duckroll's suggestion, I decided to watch this two part OVA to get a sense of Shiotani's directing style in prep for PP. I went in expecting some sort of experimental and cheap OVA(judging by the character art in the music video) and instead I found a really nice-looking,well-directed, and emotion driven story. The main story is about a couple, Chizuru and Yudai, and essentially the communication break-down between the two. What's interesting is that the OVA takes essentially one story and breaks it down into two episodes, each detailing a particular perspective (a shitty example of this would be the opening episode of Tasogare Otome x Amnesia). What made this fascinating to watch was small peculiar details in each episode that you think is weird however when shown as a whole, it makes perfect sense. An example is when you see the main male lead move in a particularly weird way in the first episode and in the second episode(from his POV) you see why he did that. Small little quirks like that add to the replayability and are kinda fun to catch your first playthrough.
There's a particular visual component I want to mention before I get to the 'camera' angles and whatnot. That aspect is the color scheme. I'm not sure who to praise on this, either the art director(Shinchiro Kobayashi) or the director (Shiotani), however it was done in a very elegant manner. Red representing the female and blue for the male. As such each color is repeated throughout the episode both in the colors the leads are wearing as well as in the background. One notable exception is above with the man in the car, as that was in the second episode, however it still works as the man above is interested in Chizuru. The reason these colors work so well is because it represents the personalities of both Chizuru and Yudai. Chizuru is more aggressive and passionate, thus it logically makes sense her color would be red. Yudai however is a colder,personality-wise, individual and so is represented by blue. It's a nice little visual spark that helps to separate the two OVAs.

Now this was the part I was most interested in as I'm wondering about the style Shiotani uses visually. He doesn't use pretty much any close-up facial shots compared to say Shaft. The only notable exception being this:
He instead seems to focus a bit further back and on the scenery. He also likes two types of shots in particular from above and below. He seems to like his shots at an angle, you can see this in one of the screenshots above(the one where the camera is at table-level). Some of the shots do seem a bit gratuitous in that they didn't serve a particular purpose other than to show off a bit. This one however is not an example of that:
This is a great POV shot that is supposed to demonstrate the MC's fear of heights. It also reminded me of a similar shot in the 8-minute long Last Dark trailer where the camera is at ground height and something is moving towards the character. Shiotani likes his POV shots. Another really cool trick he used was to show time lapsing, he subtly changed the lighting in a quick three-shot.
I also wanted to quickly point out Kyoji Asano's work as well in this as he did a notable job. Scenes where there was a lot of motion are very well animated and there doesn't seem to be that much jank. It seems both Shiotani and Asano like shots of the male lead running down the street.

Anyway I think looking at the OVA gave me a clear idea of both Shiotani and Asano's styles.

duckroll

Heheh. Btw, Shiotani and Asano also worked on both Chevalier Ep18, and Sengoku Basara (season 1) Ep2. Shiotani directed and storyboarded those episodes, while Asano was AD. :)

Jarmel

Banned
There have been quite a number of comments. We know that Motohiro and Shiotani starting sharing ideas 3 years back about making a new original IP. The concept for Psycho-Pass seems to only have fully solidified about 2 years go or so, so that's when things got serious. The story and world details should be mostly Urobuchi's work, with contributions and ideas from Motohiro. Over a year ago Amano got involved to design the characters, and that's also when the actual scripts were being worked on.

It's easy to point at all that and go "see! they're all taking it seriously! they've been planning this for a long time and working on it for ages!" but at the same time it's just as easy to go "where the fuck is the actual footage? meh"

FujiTV has to put up or shut up really soon.

Well that has more to do with the writing than the visuals though. If the animators haven't had that long to actually work then they could push out a sub-par work visually even if the writing has been in stages for years. I'm guessing the animators haven't made any comments though so we're just in a circling pattern until some animation comes out.

I'm also curious about the budget for the show. My guess is that the budget is very high but you never know.

Heheh. Btw, Shiotani and Asano also worked on both Chevalier Ep18, and Sengoku Basara (season 1) Ep2. Shiotani directed and storyboarded those episodes, while Asano was AD. :)

Yea I was looking at the stuff Shiotani and Asano have done together and I think the reason Asano got picked had less to do with his work in Guilty Crown and moreso along the lines of both of them probably being friends. That reason alone actually gives me a lot of hope for PP as they weren't just choosing the best possible people. Chemistry can be just as important if not moreso. I look forward to a shot where Shinya is running down the street in PP.

duckroll

Well that has more to do with the writing than the visuals though. If the animators haven't had that long to actually work then they could push out a sub-par work visually even if the writing has been in stages for years. I'm guessing the animators haven't made any comments though so we're just in a circling pattern until some animation comes out.

Well, let's not forget that Shiotani was working on Blood-C The Last Dark until earlier this year. Since the was his movie directorial debut, I doubt it would have left him that much time to work on Psycho-Pass as well, so I'll say full production probably only started sometime this year. He has been tweeting about working on a new project for a few months now, so they definitely haven't been doing nothing.

But production does seem to be cutting it a bit close though. They completed dubbing episode 1 just 1-2 days ago. It'll be hilarious if they can't finish episode 2 by the time it has to screen next week. Lolz.

Branduil

Well, let's not forget that Shiotani was working on Blood-C The Last Dark until earlier this year. Since the was his movie directorial debut, I doubt it would have left him that much time to work on Psycho-Pass as well, so I'll say full production probably only started sometime this year. He has been tweeting about working on a new project for a few months now, so they definitely haven't been doing nothing.

But production does seem to be cutting it a bit close though. They completed dubbing episode 1 just 1-2 days ago. It'll be hilarious if they can't finish episode 2 by the time it has to screen next week. Lolz.

Is this the next Fujiko?

Jarmel

Banned

Maybe they should make the 2nd episode in black and white for nostalgia purposes too.

How far in advance is dubbing usually done? It seems like the absolute last thing you would do.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah. Although I figure they had to do that to make up some of the cost of the license? Haruhi S2 was a single box iirc. It had a defect, but still.

Haha, that works out if you're a fan I guess.

I'm just sad that Nichijou is forever lost to the North American peasants. :(

Wait Haruhi S2 has a defect??

I'm just more angry about it than anything. At least they released it all in one DVD set... sigh

Kind of weird how I had to buy 4 blurays to get K-On S1 and only 2 for all of S2.
Weird choice.

Branduil

Retrospective Analysis of Hyouka (Part 1 maybe...)

Many people have mentioned that they thought Hyouka was subtle with many of it's points but I didn't really think so personally. While maybe obvious, I did appreciate the fact that, being a visual medium, I thought it was nice that points were explained visually rather than verbally and I found the visual metaphors to be quite eye pleasing with their creativity at times.

Another non-subtle scene was that at the beginning of episode 3 with Chitanda and Oreki at the coffee shop. There is a pinkish hue to the scene and the camera focuses on the pendulum of the clock which is heart shaped about 3 or 4 times. Sometimes the clock is center frame other times it is taking up the whole frame. After Chitanda mentions a favour the pinkish hue is gone and the clock pendulum goes back to being round and this is directly focused on by the camera with it taking up the whole screen.

I thought this was an obvious visual metaphor from Oreki's perspective in which the environment was visually representing his interpretations of Chitanda's actions, that being of a more loving interest. When this wasn't the case the scene "defuses" to that of the regular world. At the time I wasn't a member of NeoGaf and to be perfectly honestly was quite surprised by how many people posting impressions did not notice all these signs, especially the pendulum of the clock as the camera directly focuses on it multiple times.

You're right that many of these scenes are not subtle, but I think what many people mean by subtle is that it uses visual symbolism and the language of film to communicate ideas, rather than have them explicitly stated by the character. For instance, the bridge of no return that Jexhius pointed out.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Trying to decide whether to start watching Smile PreCure or Qwaser of Stigmata hmmm...

Smile Precure is pretty awesome.

I've tried out some other Precure and didn't enjoy it, they take too much time setting up shit for me to get interested in. Smile hits the ground running and Yayoi is the freaking best.

Branduil

Not really. It doesn't really matter to him what Production IG has done of late. He's desperately pushing this has the biggest noitaminA project of the year, and he's using every single hook he can find. The Psycho-Pass press materials never fail to mention that Shiotani is the director of Blood-C The Last Dark which won an award at the Fantasia Film Fest, or that Urobuchi is also wrote the smash hit Madoka Magica, and so on.

This is really one of the most aggressive marketing schemes I've seen of late, where the entire project is entirely banking on the talent involved, who were brought together to create a brand new modern smash hit masterpiece, and the producer will never stop reminding you why this is going to be oh so amazing without showing a single second of footage.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see whether such success can really be engineered like this, or if it's going to fall flat on its face.

Well, one thing's for sure, they're guaranteeing a good deal of schadenfreude if they don't deliver.

survivor

Banned
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 8

So will an anime like this have an OST release or have any info about the music they use for it? There is a particular music that starts playing at around the 18:30 mark of this episode that really stuck out to me and I was wondering if a full version will be released.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 07

Hey Shimao. Shimao.

Fuck off.

Summed up my feelings about the episode perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom