• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

I'm just sad that Nichijou is forever lost to the North American peasants. :(

ibpWQ1pjmKhLad.jpg

Australia, don't fail me next year...

A real fan would've imported every single overly priced release.

But they don't have English subs!

Then again, a real fan would learn Japanese!

Thats not what started me buying because I began with individual volumes up to 6 or 7 discs, but when boxsets came out, I was able to quickly and significantly expand my collection affordably.

Same here...I used to do the individual volume buying, which would eventually put most series at $150~$200 to complete. Very happy to see that model gone. I have no idea what possessed Bandai to do 12 volumes for Gundam SEED Destiny (not to mention Final Plus).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm just more angry about it than anything. At least they released it all in one DVD set... sigh
Yeah, it's annoying that I spent more on S1 than S2, but what can you do? I just hope Sentai announces the movie soon.

A real fan would've imported every single overly priced release.
A real fan would have hypercubes in their hair!

Australia, don't fail me next year...

But they don't have English subs!

Then again, a real fan would learn Japanese!
No rice, no life?
Is this actually coming out in Australia? lol

If you had Asuza give you directions, would you want to drive into a wall?

Narag

One Piece 28

Pretty satisfying. Krieg was built up just right to make me hate him and the ending of the episode had me excited as
Luffy outlasted his spear. Shit with the poisoned Gin was creepy though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Madman Entertainment said within the next 12 months (when they acquired it quite earlier).

My destination shall either be instant import or profound disappointment. It will be quite the year ahead.
Huh, for BD or DVD?

I wanted to see more goat wrestling!

Kazzy

A DVD release does seem kind of redundant nowadays, but maybe that's just me. Well, I mean for a show with dem visuals.

Nafe

Thank you! Well put thoughts, and you should do this more frequently. Still planning to do a second part?

Thank you. I might give it a try as far as doing it more often. I think I'll maybe do a second part with more my general overall thoughts on the show. While I don't have it written yet the rest of the contents of this post may interest you though.

Něco z Alenky or Alice

About a week ago or so DiGiKerot mentioned that many, or perhaps all, of the episodes of Sengoku Collection were based somewhat around films. For the sixth episode I believe it was, the 1988 film Alice was brought up, to which 7Th and Icarus recommended everyone take a look at. Apparently Icarus has recommended this film a few times but I guess I was paying more attention to the Utena, Angel's Egg, Oshii discussions. Also don't forget that while he hadn't seen it yet /XX/ was also enthusiastic about giving it a watch! So I decided to give it a watch myself.

The film is written and directed by Jan Švankmajer. I don't really know much about his previous work personally, or the background of this particular film, other than he had been doing short films beforehand and Alice was his first feature length film. The film uses a mixture of mostly stock animation and some parts with an actual child actress Kristýna Kohoutová. Naturally it is another telling of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland.

Since this isn't an anime and this is the anime thread I probably shouldn't go too much into it but I thought it was an interesting film. The Disney version is probably the most well known visually so many people maybe see that as the "definitive" version but it was nice seeing this more darker and surrealistic take on the story. I always like seeing different interpretations of familiar works. While I still haven't played it yet, the video game Alice: Madness Returns also caught my interest because of it's visual style, darker tone and how it interpreted what wonderland itself was even. The story is actually told through Alice at times in short little segments where it's a close up of her mouth wording the characters lines to the audience. Personally I didn't really like how extremely close up the camera was to her mouth but maybe that was all part of the more overall disturbing theme of the film? Haha, I'm going to go with that anyway.

tumblr_luz64msvnA1qib5leo1_1280.jpg

There's only so many ways to interpret a white rabbit but I liked the particular designs of this film

I liked it's interpretations of the characters that inhabit Wonderland and while it's not new or unique how some things were presented I did like how the film took advantage of the physical designs of the characters and had them sew themselves up if they got injured or some might eat stuffing as a food and such. The stock animation seemed so precise and detailed much of the time that I can only imagine how many hours it took to make the film. There was a scene near the beginning of the film where the white rabbit crosses a rocky field, followed by Alice and it goes into a first person POV for part of it. It seemed, to me at least, that the camera was not only lower for the rabbit depicting his shorter stature but the camera movement and shake also seemed different for both the characters showing the difference in their movement style based on their physical makeup. I thought that was a nice touch as you don't really seem to see that too often.

alice.jpg

This part here was kind of funny and everything looked so detailed!

Regarding the characters though I was kind of disappointed there was no
Cheshire Cat
. I would have liked to have seen this films interpretation of that character as it's intrinsic nature just seemed so fitting to the style of this film.

The film also didn't follow or broke the rules it seemed to establish, such as regarding
how the cookies work
. Although that might have been intentional to highlight the weird and surreal nature of the world.

I wouldn't mind talking about it more but I'll leave it at that and say that I thought it was an interesting piece and many others in here may be interested in giving it a watch and might like it as well. Now to experience some severe tonal whiplash and switch things back to the topic of anime maybe I'll go check out Code Geass's interpretation with Nunnally in wonderland!

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Alice and doorknobs are no longer on speaking terms anymore either, haha. If you watch the film you'll see what I mean.
It was kind of a funny little running gag.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And what a thankless job it is!
I had no idea you felt that way.

MangaUK have said they're not getting any good returns from releasing stuff on individual discs (shockingly enough) so going forward all their releases will be as proper box-sets.
One step foward.

Companies will soon feel that there's no point wasting money putting out releases to the general public that don't sell and instead only target the most hardcore fans who are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a boxset. This further intensified Anime's status as a niche product.
One hundred steps back.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did they ever release the K-On songs on a cassette tape?

(For the young people here, these were plastic cuboid objects with a long brown tape that would become a tangled mess that we used to use to listen to music)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Did they ever release the K-On songs on a cassette tape?

(For the young people here, these were plastic cuboid objects with a long brown tape that would become a tangled mess that we used to use to listen to music)

I thought that hipsters hated K-On!.

DiGiKerot

Was it an actual live recording, or was it just CD songs on a tape?

The songs collection CD set for the second season already had a second CD containing the "Cassette Mix" versions of the songs - all imperfect and fazed and the like. I'd have to imagine that the cassette would just be a dump of the contents of that CD.

Ultimadrago

maybe I'll go check out Code Geass's interpretation with Nunnally in wonderland!

I wouldn't consider that one too much worth your trouble, but I'm sure you have your mind made up. lol

Něco z Alenky or Alice
alice.jpg

This part here was kind of funny and everything looked so detailed!
Really? I was like "Ouch."
Though I guess the pain was
returned as Alice finds it dead near the end of the film. Or at least I think it was that mouse...anyways.

The major element that I find truly makes Jan's Alice unique from works such as Disney's Alice and Madness Returns is the environment. It's unfamiliar, but extremely familiar. From the
ground hog socks
, dolls, walls and floors; the majority of it is largely a house. The dream element comes into play and its made into a "wonderland", but it is made of what she (most likely) knows. There aren't talking trees or giant floating clouds to jump on. It's all rather grounded (in terms of general environment) and, therefore, a more worldly take.

Disney and Madness Returns also use items from Alice's real world experience, but to a point where they're manifested into very, dare I say "irrational" creations in the big picture. I don't find anything wrong with that, but this film separates itself from those (while, of course, taking from certain events of the original) in that aspect. The house, the creatures, the very little greenery displayed comes off more akin to a dream for me than what some would commonly describe an "acid trip." There's also the consistent lack of music. I don't know about you, but I don't have a soundtrack playing in the background of my dreams either (though that would be neat depending on the song).

Also, I really hate that rabbit's face, especially
while eating its stuffing
!
I wouldn't mind typing on it a bit more, but this is the anime thread and all. Apologies if this disturbed the flow of the thread.

But it has stop-motion animation? Eh? Eeeeh?...okay, I'll stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom