• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

A person piloting a mech piloting a mech piloting a mech

A person piloting a mech piloted by a person piloting a mech is piloting a mech piloting a mech piloting a mech piloting a mech piloting a mech that is indistinguishable from a God.

Gurren Lagann is a strong drug.

Yessir. Although I'll still get me some tacos from the taco bus when I can.

Isn't it early for us to food talk in the thread? Thought those were end-of-thread ceremonies.

I contributed something forever :D

I like fake crunchy corn tacos, I like fake soft flour tacos, I like less-fake soft corn tacos, and I like real corn tacos.

Sure, some are better, but it's not like we eat three-star meals every day.

That's right. Can't afford to be picky since food is essential. Unless it's something you really despise.

Um, uhhhh...chicken tacos > beef tacos?

Beef Tacos have a metaphor at least. Although I like fish tacos too.

Articalys

High-quality version of the preliminary Little Witch Academia BD artbook cover:
45tQrH3.jpg
If you're too impatient to wait for a locally distributed version, you can order it internationally starting August 13. The Blu-ray will start shipping out sometime in September.

Sailor Moon Rough 72

Everyone was purified, and Chibiusa knows who the Sailor Senshi is, along wit where the Silver Crystal is... so did Prudeus.

Mmmm hot sisters.

REI! USAGI! FUCK ALREADY! Dammit, Imma have to look for this aren't I?

cajunator

Banned
Um, uhhhh...chicken tacos > beef tacos?

Yes indeed!

High-quality version of the preliminary Little Witch Academia BD cover:

If you're too impatient to wait for a locally distributed version, you can order it internationally starting August 13. The Blu-ray will start shipping out sometime in September.

Do want. want soooo much.

There was a great burrito place near my office back home. It was one of those fancy schmancy all natural places. I miss it :(

Theres a place here called Izzo's and the burritos are enormous. Like a foot long several inches diameter and weighs about 3 pounds or so. A gigantic masterpiece of perfection.

CorvoSol

Holy shoot you invoked the Taco Bus

I miss Rexburg again

I don't. End of summer is like a death knell for me.

Mega Man Sins 18

I can't.

What the hell.

What even.

Did she kill that guy?

I don't know. I just. Was that in her head? Could he really grant wishes? Did she have sex and then kill him? Did ANY of this episode ACTUALLY happen? I mean, I get that Ciel is dealing with whether she is in love with Zero or if she wants to kill him to avenge her sister, Iris, but I mean, like, what the hell was the entire rest of this episode?

DID SHE KILL THAT DUDE?

I don't. End of summer is like a death knell for me.

Mega Man Sins 18

I can't.

What the hell.

What even.

Did she kill that guy?

I don't know. I just. Was that in her head? Could he really grant wishes? Did she have sex and then kill him? Did ANY of this episode ACTUALLY happen? I mean, I get that Ciel is dealing with whether she is in love with Zero or if she wants to kill him to avenge her sister, Iris, but I mean, like, what the hell was the entire rest of this episode?

DID SHE KILL THAT DUDE?

Great, was going to watch more Sailor Moon, time to DO THIS cuz interdasting. I need more protein.

Be forewarned that the episode feels like something straight out of EVA.

IT CERTAINLY IS LIKE ONE. I don't know what I'm watching. I thought I was watching a show about brooding food products and I'm getting this

Whatever happened to you watching Yami?

Kirby is watching like 20 shows right now.

That. That and my anime watching slowed down considerably, so I'm trying to bring it back up at least. Sucks, cuz I would've finished Yami on Monday. Probably gonna start Upotte after Yami since that's also short.

cajunator

Banned
IT CERTAINLY IS LIKE ONE. I don't know what I'm watching. I thought I was watching a show about brooding food products and I'm getting this

That. That and my anime watching slowed down considerably, so I'm trying to bring it back up at least. Sucks, cuz I would've finished Yami on Monday. Probably gonna start Upotte after Yami since that's also short.

Finish Yami!

Syrinx

Yami takes precedence in every circumstance imaginable.

CorvoSol

I can't decide if my favorite part of the episode is
Liuse describing Casshern's hand penetrating her "chest" in what is a clear euphemism for a robot girl having a wet dream
or
the completely bizarre moment in which Liuse meets the black guy who says he can do magic, goes back to his place, possibly has sex with him (pink haired girl having off-screen sex with a black man? Reference to Utena or what?) and then kills him for like no damn reason.

This episode is just WEIRD.

I can't decide if my favorite part of the episode is
Liuse describing Casshern's hand penetrating her "chest" in what is a clear euphemism for a robot girl having a wet dream
or
the completely bizarre moment in which Liuse meets the black guy who says he can do magic, goes back to his place, possibly has sex with him (pink haired girl having off-screen sex with a black man? Reference to Utena or what?) and then kills him for like no damn reason.

This episode is just WEIRD.

Lyuze, and that first spoiler made me think of
Other M
. But god both of those made me go

Cashew Sins 18

WHAT!
Random black guy feeling her up! And she's like eh whatever, no biggie.

There was copious amount of robot nudity, which makes me confused on the chest size for Lyuze/Tsundried Tomato. But that's not important. What's important here is that doing drugs is bad, even if it makes you realize that you're DTF Cashews. There better be kissing. Walnut kissed Ladle afterall.

But seriously, that fucking sequence... STARTING WITH
A PHOTO OF A REAL GIRL
!

Also "Sky" played at the end, also first used in Episode 8 like "A Path".

CorvoSol

Megas XLR 110

Basically, Coop breaks a super awesome piece of machinery doing stupid things, and then we have to have a Junkyard Brawl to get it fixed. Creepy banjo music signifies that things are terrifying. Goat proves that Jaime and Coop ignoring the fact that Kiva is a woman is the wiser course, since he comes on to her the entire episode to great creepiness.

Eventually the solution to the entire problem is Red Green's:
Duct Tape.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 01

DfpNLAZ.jpg

Not sure if I agree, but whatever. The last two seasons ended up making it work after a short while, so not terribly worried here.

K2l1gIr.jpg

From punching to jump kicking. Clear upgrade.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yamato 19-22

Holy fucking shit. Every arc shit just gets real-er and real-er. I mean, you think it's "on" last arc when the
giant 1 vs 1 million fleet battle happened
, but then they do a
smaller fight that is somehow even MORE dramatic

I mean, episode 20 was so awesome that they basically said "fuck it" to the time limit and made a 30 minute episode. I don't even know how they'll air this on TV short of just paying for the commercial time themselves. Certainly that can't even consider cutting anything, because that would almost kill the episode.

Despite how epic the first four episodes were, the show is still weird with the fanservice at times. On the one hand, having a release after one of the more epic and emotional moments of the arc, if not the series, is a good idea and creates a nice calm before the storm, but this is kind of ridiculous:

KJvMojHl.jpg

The cute alien babe who may or may not be part of the Kodai love square doesn't know what ice cream is! Moe-moe-kyun?

That said, every time they end one of these four episode arcs, they choose to have an awesome cliffhanger to basically fuck with the audience. And the cliffhanger for this arc is no exception... and as the last cliffhanger of the series, it's probably the best one they've done yet. And the fact that, of course, we're basically going to have to wait until the TV series catches up means that this cliffhanger is the closest that I'll ever get to the infamous Best of Both Worlds cliffhanger from Star Trek: TNG.

I know no one is watching it because of how it is being "aired" (and the fact that it's not licensed I suppose), but if you like science fiction on any level (even all those people who seem to be watching LOGH at the moment), you owe it to yourself to watch this show. This is the reboot that Ronald D. Moore wishes he could have came up with when he did the infinitely inferior Battlestar Galactica or even what JJ wishes Star Trek: Into Darkness was when he basically remade Star Trek 2 but tried to make it "edgy" and "dark" by having emo Spock and shitty Cumberbatch.

In fact, as much as it pains me to say it, this is probably the last time I'll ever see bombastic space opera with depth and character for a long, long time. They literally don't make shows like this any more and since this was just a reboot, I can't imagine something like this will ever come along again any time soon, if ever.

The wait to the final arc begins now. :(

Sailor Moon Rough 73

And shit got real, thanks Chibama.

She never realized that her trying
to go back into the future was a giant bacon for them

Usagi was more douchey than Mamoru. You really fucked up here
you even lost yours friends again, but that was more on Chibiusa being a kid
Now its time for TUXEDO RAMASAMA to do things.

CorvoSol

Turn A Gundam 6

I believe that, in all the time I've been watching anime, this is the very first time a male character has not protested even the tiniest bit the fact that he has to dress up as a girl. While Loran tries to say it is because he thinks that it is necessary to do some stuff for the Earth's sake, I can't believe Guin is thinking that. No, the real story is that Lord Guin really, really, really wants Loran. That's why he refers to him as "Laura," occasionally with feminine pronouns, and now wants him to dress up as one. I don't know exactly which fetish this falls into, but I do know that it has precious little to do with saving the Earth.

Meanwhile Dianna Counter's eyes creep me the fuck out.

Articalys

Here's a nice break from the recent string of light novel adaptations -- comedy slice-of-life web manga Super Seisyun Brothers is getting a TV anime.
There are two sets of strange siblings — each with an older sister and a younger brother. Because they are so similar, they are all friends with each other. It is a slice-of-life story with a lot of mishaps. The two sets of siblings' lives are full of comedy and otaku humor in this slice-of-life story. Each set of siblings thought they would only have each other, but birds of a similar feather flock together to create this comedy.

(and yes, that's how the official title romanizes "seishun")

Narag

Turn A Gundam 6

I believe that, in all the time I've been watching anime, this is the very first time a male character has not protested even the tiniest bit the fact that he has to dress up as a girl. While Loran tries to say it is because he thinks that it is necessary to do some stuff for the Earth's sake, I can't believe Guin is thinking that. No, the real story is that Lord Guin really, really, really wants Loran. That's why he refers to him as "Laura," occasionally with feminine pronouns, and now wants him to dress up as one. I don't know exactly which fetish this falls into, but I do know that it has precious little to do with saving the Earth.

Meanwhile Dianna Counter's eyes creep me the fuck out.

I think the real story was Tomino wanted a female protag, didn't get his way, and promptly offered up this fuck you to the powers that be.

Dresden

Free - 04

I didn't expect the show to be so funny, but it has been, and I'm glad it's settled into the tempo of a comedy/SOL series. The drama from Rin's past should come to light soon, but with how deftly the series has been handled so far, I'm hoping that it won't be a jarring transition.

CorvoSol

I think the real story was Tomino wanted a female protag, didn't get his way, and promptly offered up this fuck you to the powers that be.

So I've been told. It's a bit of a mind-screw, though, since he also goes out of his way to remind us at times that Loran is a guy, such as showing him naked and also having Loran react in a great deal of pain when he lands on his balls on that airplane.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Free - 04

I didn't expect the show to be so funny, but it has been, and I'm glad it's settled into the tempo of a comedy/SOL series. The drama from Rin's past should come to light soon, but with how deftly the series has been handled so far, I'm hoping that it won't be a jarring transition.

Heh, I suppose seeing the spoiler here was detrimental to my experience with the episode, because the "fight" was almost Chuu2 level to me.

Dresden

Heh, I suppose seeing the spoiler here was detrimental to my experience with the episode, because the "fight" was almost Chuu2 level to me.

Well, the spoiler for the whole drama is supposed to be
dead fathers,
so it has plenty of room to go full chuuni.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thread said it's literally like one frame. Blink & you'll miss it etc. Maybe a replacement program for that disc will happen too? Who knows.
That's racist against those who can't blink. I demand free replacements for everyone, even those who haven't bought it!

jbug617

Banned
The Animate anime stores had Free! fan rankings and the consensus number one in all of them was apparently Yellow non-shota edition. 2nd place was either Rin or Haru.

I... don't know... I would have voted for Gou personally.

nobody likes yellow. I would of thought Glasses would be #1.

CorvoSol

The Time of EVE 5

So even though this episode is "about" Chie and her grampa, its more about Rikuo finally realizing what a racist git he's been to the people in the cafe and the android in his life. The episode's climax is Rikuo at last playing piano for Sammy, which he had, prior to this, attempted to never do after being upstaged by a robot at a concert. I feel like there was an episode about this in the first season of Big O, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom