• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 17: Yea, Linked Horizon has really grown on me these past few weeks. Anyway, we finally return to no only the action but also the extended recapping. Indeed we see the Survey Corp taking down some normal titans when the new scourge
The Female Titan Shifter
appears.
Yea, for those worried about this becoming a mech show, it looks like your fears were justified.
We see this new threat wipe out an entire flank of soldiers while Amin goes into deduction mode and drops a lot of information.
By the way, pay attention to the conversation Armin was having, either Renier or Jean is a traitor based on the revelations Armin had about where Eren's location is. Indeed somebody seems to have been running some counter ops.
Anyway, nice to see the action in this show once again, and nice to see Armin making himself useful.

Well, I know I won't be picking this back up again, if that's the case.

Tenumi

Banned
Thinking I'm changing my plans. Marathon are a pain, no fun at all. Granted, I'll finish Suite Precure this week. Just probably not tommorow.

Plus, I've still got Fresh, Yes, GoGo, SplashStar, and Original to go. Don't want to hate the franchise before I even get to Fresh, do I?
I'm doing it for the art!

cajunator

Banned
Broadcast order is the only way to watch it. Chronological order and DVD order are terrible.

Dvd order is just fine.

It's the precocious child that you get in all of these stories about parenthood and parent/child bonding though. I'm pretty sure even that Adam Sandler "fatherhood" movie had the same type of kid.

Well, they did get a moemoe voice actress to play 360 with them!

To be fair, it was covered in that article and its listed in the credits. I just never thought to pay attention, since I usually skip OPs and EDs. lol

I suppose, although they chronologically take place in between S1... which is why they aired them the way that they did when they did the original 'troll' broadcast of the entire series.

Aww. I thought you had discovered it. Welk its a nice find anyway.

Thinking I'm changing my plans. Marathon are a pain, no fun at all. Granted, I'll finish Suite Precure this week. Just probably not tommorow.

Plus, I've still got Fresh, Yes, GoGo, SplashStar, and Original to go. Don't want to hate the franchise before I even get to Fresh, do I?

The original is good. Watch it for Honoka <3

Well I told you that was a lot to plate. Anyway judging from your list.... Hmmm.... Fresh could be hit or miss for you. I'm actually willing to say watch Yes. I think it actually has an aspect that is better than Smile at least.

The problem here becomes, do you watch the broadcast order of season 1 and then watch season 2? Or do you try to mash up your own timeline and throw season 2 episodes in the middle of an original run of season 1?

You watch broadcast order for season 1.

Then watch everything in chronological order!

So rewatch S1? And people call me crazy for liking Endless Eight!

To be fair, I watched S1 when it was originally airing and then only watched all of it just last year.

But, I did really enjoy everything of the series up to the end of Endless Eight!

And then the movie redeemed my faith!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I liked Endless Eight until the fourth episode. It was a joke stretched too thin.
I liked it as it aired, but I would never watch it again. It only works in the moment. lol

To be fair, I watched S1 when it was originally airing and then only watched all of it just last year.

But, I did really enjoy everything of the series up to the end of Endless Eight!
Ah! I just skipped the S1 episodes when S2 happened.

Metrotab

Banned
It doesn't look like there is any kind of consensus... Guess i'll just have to choose one lol.

You only get one chance to watch the broadcast order for the original viewing experience though.

Attack on Titan - 15

MEINE FREUNDEEEE

Anyway, the Recon Corps is filled with crazy people. No wonder they're the best.

CorvoSol

Attack on Titan 17

Well at long fucking last. Thought we'd never get back to action. I don't even expect answers because I expect the worst kinds of shit from this show and will probably never, ever raise my expectations for its plot again, but at the very, very least, at least we got to see that Reiner is a total freaking badass today.

Giant blond Mikasa. Whoop. De. Doo.

Anyway, I agree that Jean is one of the better characters in the show now, although Mikasa is still at the top for her awesomeness, though.
Eren's basically dead to me because the plot refuses to let him do like, anything, and also rendering your hero death proof in the first ten episodes is like, well fuck you.

Is the Manga like, any better than the show at all?

EDIT: I watched Haruhi in chronological order because fuck this nonsensical anachronic ordering system.

Attack on Titan 17

Well at long fucking last. Thought we'd never get back to action. I don't even expect answers because I expect the worst kinds of shit from this show and will probably never, ever raise my expectations for its plot again, but at the very, very least, at least we got to see that Reiner is a total freaking badass today.

Giant blond Mikasa. Whoop. De. Doo.

Anyway, I agree that Jean is one of the better characters in the show now, although Mikasa is still at the top for her awesomeness, though.
Eren's basically dead to me because the plot refuses to let him do like, anything, and also rendering your hero death proof in the first ten episodes is like, well fuck you.

Is the Manga like, any better than the show at all?

No

Kazzy

Out of all the anime I'm currently watching, the only song worse than Attack on Titan's fucking awful new OP is Majestic Prince's abominable ED.

What a surprise that they continue to be incredibly terrible shows, to boot!

I don't think there's a direct correlation to be had though. The likes of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine had both a great OP/ED, and well, we know how that turned out.

CorvoSol

I don't think there's a direct correlation to be had though. The likes of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine had both a great OP/ED, and well, we know how that turned out.

Maybe not, which is why its just coincidence.

Bad art 24/7, random jumps in the time stream for the sake of drama, same shit writing.

Well I'll stick with the anime for the exceptionally rare good moment of action, then. Which basically defines the reasons I stick with MJP, too. For the incredibly, mind-bendingly, have-better-chances-of-getting-two-shiny-starters-in-a-row odds that the action this week will be good.

cnet128

Banned
Which order do you prefer The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? Chronological or broadcast order?

If you're only considering the first season, both orders have their advantages:

- Broadcast order has the advantage that it feels more quirky and original, and the season as a whole has superior pacing because the most interesting storylines are spaced out and the season ends on a climactic note. It has the disadvantage that some of the series' biggest revelations occur almost as an aside, resulting in the scenes where those revelations "actually" occur losing their impact. Of course, if you're getting into the series at this stage, chances are you've been spoiled on those revelations already, but I still feel like they work better chronologically.
- Chronological order has the advantage that...well, everything flows together sensibly. Its main disadvantage is that the biggest climax of the series comes about halfway through and the rest is more lighthearted stuff, with the series ending on its most underwhelming episode.

However, if you're considering the series as a whole as it exists now, including both seasons and the movie, I'd strongly recommend chronological order. The existence of the movie solves the biggest negative that chronological order had for the first season alone, by providing a hugely satisfying climax to end on (in fact, you could say that the episode Someday In The Rain, which was underwhelming as an ending point for the series, works beautifully as a scene-setter to lead into the movie), and I feel like both the movie and the second-season episodes are best appreciated as integrated parts of the chronological series as a whole. I definitely wouldn't recommend viewing the second-season episodes in isolation.

You watch broadcast order for season 1.

Then watch everything in chronological order!

This is also a valid option! After you've gone through the disjointed but entertaining broadcast order, re-experiencing the series in logical, chronological order with the new content mixed in does make the whole thing feel quite fresh and help you look at the episodes from a new perspective. And most of these episodes absolutely bear a rewatch either way, so it's an option worth considering.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I liked it as it aired, but I would never watch it again. It only works in the moment. lol

Ah! I just skipped the S1 episodes when S2 happened.

Endless Eight was pure trolling. I think it's probably the greatest troll of our time. I mean we all watched the same damn episode 8 times.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Endless Eight was pure trolling. I think it's probably the greatest troll of our time. I mean we all watched the same damn episode 8 times.
The only reason why I wouldn't call it a troll is because it works as a character study of Nagato.

Which is why between E8 and the movie, I think Nagato is the secret main character of the series.

Attack on Titan Episode 17 – Female Titan - 57th Expedition Beyond the Walls (1)
tumblr_mqzhpeIiX11qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mqzhpeIiX11qbxqfpo2_500.png

Jean scenes were rather impressive. It seems he continues to be the one that the writer of the source, decided to give all the emotional and character development too with some towards Armin at times as well, though Armin stays panicking too much and often lends barely any combat abilitiy
again twice here kind of failed, unfortunately, though at least he came up with a great way to distract the titan from offing Jean. Too often Jeans comes so close to death which manages to keep me way on the edge and even nervously anticipating that Eren would somehow run up and save him or something. Jean is quite noble indeed and worthy of awards and accolades each time he goes out there. He's following Eren proudly.

I think this episode still has the same flaw as the last time we had such a plotline. I think anime is just really not suited well for this type of plot.
It seems like its pretty obvious who this female intelligent titan is and they arent even trying to hide it. I believe the eye color gives it away (at least with Eren they changed his hair style somewhat), and her facial expression even. Maybe they could have taken a few more liberties with the design and try to change it up a bit from the source if it looked the same.

Soundtrack sounds quite good and I believe a few new songs in there really made it something special during the riding and running scenes.

CorvoSol

The only reason why I wouldn't call it a troll is because it works as a character study of Nagato.

Which is why between E8 and the movie, I think Nagato is the secret main character of the series.

The movie did quite a bit to favorably improve my otherwise negative view of her. It's been awhile since I sat and saw the whole show, though.

And then she gets her own spinoff manga which I eagerly hope that one days gets an anime adaptation!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The movie did quite a bit to favorably improve my otherwise negative view of her. It's been awhile since I sat and saw the whole show, though.
Are far as "kuudere" characters go, she's probably the best one anyway.

And then she gets her own spinoff manga which I eagerly hope that one days gets an anime adaptation!
It turns out when Haruhi is gone, the franchise gets better! Although, the manga itself got weird when it merged timelines. lol

Sailor Moon Sexy/Spinning 92

So Usagi was going to study until finding out Minako was in the Game Center talking to Motoki (STILL EXISTS) in case she needed a break from studying. However screwing up a proverb resulted in..

And they begin hunting for cock after racing Haruka. Speaking of which, the lesbian duo is fully revealed! Yaaay! They showed their identities in this episodes intro, but not the first two episodes of S. Toei's improving with their spoiler frumage. Reisagi is getting a run for its money now.

So after mucking about with the lesbian senshis, shit happens.

swlQVir.jpg
EfBsNzb.jpg

Minako you show off~

So now we see Neptune and Uranus stock footage. No transforming, but their attacks, and it's like they used a shit ton of budget to animate those two. Looks good! Afterwards, Haruka is actually a girl.

HUZZAH, no beating around the bush with this one, straight to the point here. I like it. And stop hunting for cock Usagi, you have Mamoru.

MikeMyers

[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 171

I don't wanna pull a :kirbyguy, but it's difficult to ignore all the fake pantsu when you put them right in front of my face. How ironic that the lewd breaks loose just as Ikuhara leaves Toei!

This played like your average Saint Seiya episode with
all the Sailor Senshi sacrificing themselves for the most boring of them all just because she's the protagonist
. To be fair I think I just don't buy
Nehelenia's revival as a villain. It just seems as if they were stretching her out at this point --and I don't mean the wrinkles

P.S. Doujinshi where?

I'm rewatching that arc too, on the same episode.

AND GOD DAMNIT I never would have noticed these panty sots had it been for this thread.

Taruranto

Uhhhh, you do know Kurapika is a guy, right?

It's a joke because he looks and sounds like a girl.

Kino's Journey - 3

Well...shit. That was depressing.

So at first I was thinking; "where'd you get that book old timer? Cause you're kinda reminding me of that priest in Gurren Lagann."

Then the episode takes a slightly more lighthearted turn.

Oh noes, she stumbled upon an anthrocon!

Then the episode takes a really fucking depressing turn. I'd expect that kind of backstory to be in some kind of college novel. I mean holy crap!

That last scene before the ED was another shocker.
One would expect Kino to take out her gun when she heard what that soldier had to say, but she didn't. Her mind must have been in the same state as mine was to react.

My mind is full of so much what from this episode that I can't even think about it properly. I gotta go clear my head and watch Railgun or something.

This post reminds me how freacking unsettling Kino was to me. There was something inherently creepy about the show atmosphere/sound I could never shake off.

Gatchaman Crowds 3-4

Really like the direction this is heading, also glad we finally see how all the different pieces are going to come together.

Fantasita Doll 4

Man that's the ultimate form of returning to an abusive relationship there

cj_iwakura

The thread moves too quick for me to consistently keep up with, but I always want to read Sailor Moon impressions.

Especially of S and Stars. Best seasons of best show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Monogatari 5
8BO49VKl.jpg

Nyan/10, Ani-nyan of the Nyear.

But really, and I'm sure most people will spin this as an insult, but Shaft finds a way to do so much with so little. The Tarantino-esque intro montage over a scratchy recording, the actual confrontation, the big catharsis... it just all worked so well. I just enjoy watching this show because of how it all comes together, and even though I can see the potential problems with the show, for me, I'm able to love this franchise as unconditionally as Tamayura.

Fucking bravo, Shaft. Bravo.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 06 - 10
I would never give up on this show even though it&#8217;s been awhile since I posted something about it. Anyways, I&#8217;m still enjoying the hell out of this show. It&#8217;s madness, but it's oh so great in every single possible way. I look forward to the more neck snapping twists this show has to offer. I doubt I&#8217;ve seen it all. :D

Silver Spoon 04
You know you have a fantastic idea when you've dedicated an entire episode to making a pizza. Brilliant!

Servant x Service 05
Great episode, but the eyes looked off in a few scenes, not sure what it was. They just looked off. Also Kaoru is a fantastic character.

Love Lab 05
A sincere first half and a hilarious second half, it&#8217;s amazing how consistently great this show is.

Genshiken Nidaime 05
I&#8217;m loving these Hato x Mada episode...despite it not actually being Hato x Mada.

I'm hoping for a conclusion with Madarame's struggle with Saki. I feel for Madarame and hate seeing him so depressed. I love Hato's efforts in helping Madarame even if they don't work out as well as he would have hoped: total bottom, but I just love the way Genshiken handles personal conflicts like this. They do it so well.

ibtojS0XCkmIxR.gif

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
RWBY - 02

Pzq9SZb.png

White will be tsun for Ruby. Calling it now.

Rather short episode (5 min) where the other two main leads make their appearance. White is the 1% snob while Black is the cool, mysterious type. We were also introduced to Jon, a lame guy with a whack ass sword and shield combo that I'm sure will pose a threat to the purity of this show. Give me more Yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom