• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

I read the Bunny Drop manga (yeah) very long ago, but
I don't remember it addressing that aspect of Rin in any meaningful way, with the exception of the last 3-5 chapters were suddenly she wants to fuck Daikichi. Tbh the whole second half of the manga is like a generic shoujo with a ~twist~ ending more than anything else.

I getting impression the author actually always wanted to write that kind of story and the parenting part just a big buildup.. but the audience clearly doesn't like it (for obvious reason lol) and cut short.

Branduil

I can't say the idealization of Rin bothered me while watching the show, which is not to say it isn't there. Perhaps the objective was closer to presenting vignettes about parenting in a nostalgia-tinted way, similar to how K-On!! depicts high school life. Of course Bunny Drop is a bit more rooted in reality but it's still trying to achieve that 'healing' goodness.

That sounds about right. Rin is certainly idealized, but not so much so that it feels impossible.

Tenumi

Banned
If you're talking about the "golden stuff" I think you're talking about, then...uh, I have that fetish! But then I have quite a few fetishes.

Brown stuff is taking it too far though. I hate it when a perfectly good doujin decides to go there. Makes futa doujins look positively acceptable by comparison.

Fetishes are interesting. I never got the idea of hating on fetishes. Its like if you have it cool, if you don't, skip it.
"Golden stuff".... :)

I'm reminded of a Railgun doujin on that second part, though...

Soma

Love Lab Episode 05

This episode had copious amounts of hair sakuga.

I hope Maki's dad makes an actual appearance in the show. That lingerie song is just too good.

cajunator

Banned
Index is absolutely terrible.

Railgun is pretty awesome.

Darkside tellin it like it is.

Watched Mouretsu Pirates as the first show from the suggestions. I had already seen about a third of it, but apparently that was just before things started getting really good.

Dat :SDBurton, was not expecting it--well,
the princess and future-first-mate getting attached to Marika in a very-friendly way
was within expectations, but a certain couple was not. Lawd.
Yacht club president doesn't hold back! Also Marika going "thanks for the meal" while watching them make out in front of her the second time cracked me up. SDBurton levels nuclear.

Appreciated the effort placed into forming the setting, which isn't uncommon for space-heavy shows, but I always like having a well formed setting if the show is going to dabble in slice-of-life.

I thought the plot heavy stuff for the final arc was fairly silly, but at least it made for nice final battle material.

It was a pretty fun and entertaining show; nothing amazing, but I'd definitely be up for another season of the cast's antics.

Pirates is sooooo awesome. I was so excited when it was announced and it totally delivered.
but wheres my figurines?!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 17: Yea, Linked Horizon has really grown on me these past few weeks. Anyway, we finally return to no only the action but also the extended recapping. Indeed we see the Survey Corp taking down some normal titans when the new scourge
The Female Titan Shifter
appears.
Yea, for those worried about this becoming a mech show, it looks like your fears were justified.
We see this new threat wipe out an entire flank of soldiers while Amin goes into deduction mode and drops a lot of information.
By the way, pay attention to the conversation Armin was having, either Renier or Jean is a traitor based on the revelations Armin had about where Eren's location is. Indeed somebody seems to have been running some counter ops.
Anyway, nice to see the action in this show once again, and nice to see Armin making himself useful.

Narag

Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 17:
By the way, pay attention to the conversation Armin was having, either Renier or Jean is a traitor based on the revelations Armin had about where Eren's location is. Indeed somebody seems to have been running some counter ops.

I just assumed that was sort of a fail-safe to prevent counterops. Provide everyone with a different location so no one knows for sure.

Quasar

I wish that Rin not behaving enough like a small child was the single problem Bunny Drop ever had. That said, I thought the idea was that Rin's unusual maturity was because of her unusual circumstances forcing that on her? Like being raised by her gramps and then having to make up for the areas where Daikichi was inept. I also thought the idea was that Rin wasn't supposed to be an entirely normal kid.

Well that was about the only problem I had with the show. And it wasnt really a problem, just that Rin felt more like a small adult than a child. And thats I think why I prefer Aishiteruze Baby. It has a more realistic feeling kid.

And speaking of the unusual way Rin was raised and her maturity, I assume thats the lynchpin used to justify where the manga goes. Which from what I understand it fails at.

Midonin

Doki Doki! Precure 27

Progress! We finally have a new opening with Regina and Ace (though it occurs to me that Regina's kinda been out of the show for some time now), a new eyecatch and a new ending with a bigger, flashier concert. The tune's pretty catchy, too. I liked what I heard for the first time around.

So now we finally know a thing or two about Aguri's home life. She lives with her grandma and is otherwise a normal kid. She was chosen sometime after Ai hatched (does Johnny Klondike know about this?), and grows bigger because she has big dreams.
But she can only hold her form for five minutes. I should've noticed this sooner, because her character song was titled "5minutes".
That should've been something of a clue. Lovely Force Arrow upgraded because everyone has the glowy, Gula literally chewing the scenery... combined with all the tea ceremony stuff and this episode was about 120% Japanese.

I am glad to see they're finally pulling back the curtain on Aguri. Now she has a reason why she can only appear for brief moments at a time, pose, attack and leave. Though of course, the Selfish respond to that by making MotWs that she can't just one-shot. The problems of midseason. I understand why these glowy episodes were needed, and some of them were pretty good, but this is a sign that things are starting to move forward.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I just assumed that was sort of a fail-safe to prevent counterops. Provide everyone with a different location so no one knows for sure.

Yes and it reveals a traitor, how else does the Female Titan to now go to the Center Left where Eren is most likely located.

Kirbyguy's Interperation of DokiDoki Precure 27

So we figure out Cure Ace's weakness immediately before the intro
She's a limited time offer/battery powered Precure

Desserts also revert her into a child like attitude, showing she's still a child at heart even if she acts mature.

Something was mentioned about King Selfish and Regina, but fuck if I understood anything of it, I only understood King Selfish and Regina. But hey, we know Aguri tries to be fancy and is normal, and apparently something happened when Ai hatched. Guessing the choosing process. Fuck.

OP change is obviously lazy, although it has a shot of Cure Ace and Red Regina on the same slide, so there's something. Not much Ace in the new intro. Lazy. Eyecatch sequences, I like the first one, it has everyone in it, and does a Art transition into anime art. However, the eyecatch after the commercial has to be the laziest fucking thing I've seen. like... it barely changed at all, it was just slapping Cure Ace in at the end. Wooooow. woooow. Aguri clearly stole the budget.

Look at all that Cure merchandising, jesus christ. but yeah.

I wish that Rin not behaving enough like a small child was the single problem Bunny Drop ever had. That said, I thought the idea was that Rin's unusual maturity was because of her unusual circumstances forcing that on her? Like being raised by her gramps and then having to make up for the areas where Daikichi was inept. I also thought the idea was that Rin wasn't supposed to be an entirely normal kid.

Rin's maturity isn't unrealistic, considering her circumstances. Although because of that, I'd expect her to have more difficulties integrating into society than she did; she pretty much got over that after the first episode. I just would have liked to see a little bit more of the messy side of parenting, along the lines of Wolf Children. Everything is seen though a rose-colored lens, and we don't get a good sense of what had to be sacrificed to be a parent.

But perhaps I am asking for something that would spoil the gently beautiful mood of the show. It's true that the one time it gets into some mild drama, in the episode about Haruko, it doesn't come off very well, so I'm certainly glad it didn't go any more in that direction.

Branduil

Rin's maturity isn't unrealistic, considering her circumstances. Although because of that, I'd expect her to have more difficulties integrating into society than she did; she pretty much got over that after the first episode. I just would have liked to see a little bit more of the messy side of parenting, along the lines of Wolf Children. Everything is seen though a rose-colored lens, and we don't get a good sense of what had to be sacrificed to be a parent.

I don't know, I mean, Daikichi has to take a worse job, and he basically has no life any more besides taking care of Rin.

Space Bros 68

J5pyRsx.jpg

Why's that cop staring at that old guy's junk?

CorvoSol

I don't know, I mean, Daikichi has to take a worse job, and he basically has no life any more besides taking care of Rin.

Yeah, I thought they played that drum well enough, that Daikichi sacrifices quite a bit. Heck, they even show him dealing with bed-wetting. The only thing we don't see, I guess, is Rin misbehaving. But we do get plenty of that from Kouki.

Watched Mouretsu Pirates as the first show from the suggestions. I had already seen about a third of it, but apparently that was just before things started getting really good.

Dat :SDBurton, was not expecting it--well,
the princess and future-first-mate getting attached to Marika in a very-friendly way
was within expectations, but a certain couple was not. Lawd.
Yacht club president doesn't hold back! Also Marika going "thanks for the meal" while watching them make out in front of her the second time cracked me up. SDBurton levels nuclear.

Appreciated the effort placed into forming the setting, which isn't uncommon for space-heavy shows, but I always like having a well formed setting if the show is going to dabble in slice-of-life.

I thought the plot heavy stuff for the final arc was fairly silly, but at least it made for nice final battle material.

It was a pretty fun and entertaining show; nothing amazing, but I'd definitely be up for another season of the cast's antics.
It's one of these show i rewatch often for fun ..the fact that the cast is made mainly of girl that hold their own by therselves is a big plus.marika in particular that manage to keep her highschool girl attitude ( not over used ) while still being able to act and make the right decision if needed.
Dokidoki! Precure ED2

Toei CGI remains good.

Alright ending ..heartcatch 2nd ED is still unmatched.

CorvoSol

Well that was about the only problem I had with the show. And it wasnt really a problem, just that Rin felt more like a small adult than a child. And thats I think why I prefer Aishiteruze Baby. It has a more realistic feeling kid.

And speaking of the unusual way Rin was raised and her maturity, I assume thats the lynchpin used to justify where the manga goes. Which from what I understand it fails at.

Call me crazy, but I don't think being raised by your aged grampa or being ahead of the curb in terms of maturity spells out
incest
in like, any cases.

Soma

Monogatari S2 Episode 05

Great conclusion to this arc with
Araragi coming back to save the day
but man that
rejection
was heartbreaking for me. ;_;

I partly blame the fact that Hanekawa is my favorite of the bunch but this was all an overdue development for her and I'm happy with how her story ended.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars] 171
I don't wanna pull a :kirbyguy, but it's difficult to ignore all the fake pantsu when you put them right in front of my face. How ironic that the lewd breaks loose just as Ikuhara leaves Toei!

This played like your average Saint Seiya episode with
all the Sailor Senshi sacrificing themselves for the most boring of them all just because she's the protagonist
. To be fair I think I just don't buy
Nehelenia's revival as a villain. It just seems as if they were stretching her out at this point --and I don't mean the wrinkles

P.S. Doujinshi where?

Branduil

Attack on Titan 17

ITSHAPPENING.gif(don't post this)

Good stuff. They adapted this part about as well as I could have hoped for, the horror-like atmosphere was palpable and the action scenes were dynamic and interesting. They've also managed to keep away the Unfinished Animation Demon for another week.

Bleach 29-32 (rewatch x 4)

Ichigo v Renji was awesome considering how their power levels were at this part of the plot. However, rexperiencing the flashback for this countless time again was a bit dull. Regardless, next week is one of my favorite filler episodes, Jinta and soccer.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Broadcast order is the only way to watch it. Chronological order and DVD order are terrible.
The problem here becomes, do you watch the broadcast order of season 1 and then watch season 2? Or do you try to mash up your own timeline and throw season 2 episodes in the middle of an original run of season 1?

CorvoSol

Out of all the anime I'm currently watching, the only song worse than Attack on Titan's fucking awful new OP is Majestic Prince's abominable ED.

What a surprise that they continue to be incredibly terrible shows, to boot!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The problem here becomes, do you watch the broadcast order of season 1 and then watch season 2? Or do you try to mash up your own timeline and throw season 2 episodes in the middle of an original run of season 1?
Unlike season one, there's no undergoing storyline that connects all of the season two episodes together. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to watch those episodes on their own afterwards.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be fair, they do acknowledge in the series that she's a "different" child. And based on the manga that we refuse to acknowledge,
that makes her much more messed up.

It's the precocious child that you get in all of these stories about parenthood and parent/child bonding though. I'm pretty sure even that Adam Sandler "fatherhood" movie had the same type of kid.

That's probably contributed to a whole week's sale.
Well, they did get a moemoe voice actress to play 360 with them!

Ok Im impressed. Very nice find!
To be fair, it was covered in that article and its listed in the credits. I just never thought to pay attention, since I usually skip OPs and EDs. lol

Unlike season one, there's no undergoing storyline that connects all of the season two episodes together. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to watch those episodes on their own afterwards.
I suppose, although they chronologically take place in between S1... which is why they aired them the way that they did when they did the original 'troll' broadcast of the entire series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom