• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Neon Genesis Evangelion 5-6

So this 'catches' me up where the first Rebuild movie ends. Clearly the movie took episode 6 and added a lot of fanfare and suspense to taking out that Angel, which was in my opinion done quite well - so watching the original afterwards seemed to lack a bit of suspense in comparison. It was still fun to watch though. Will probably be a while before I can continue from here.

CorvoSol

It'd be nice if this community could, one day, collectively recommend something genuinely worth watching like Mad Bull 34.

I think Regulus' recommendation of Utena is a pretty good one. I've seen people recommend War in the Pocket and that one is good, too. I think E7 is still a safe one, but there are folks who don't like it, so who knows. The challenge is that there's so many disparate opinions on what is good that getting a consensus is kinda tough.

Dai-Guard 8

So this was a really good episode, even without giant robot action. In it we got to see the pressures that work, especially a hazardous and bizarre job like piloting Dai-Guard, puts on people. The crew is on repeated high alert and cancellations all day long. Like false alarms all day. And Ibuki doesn't get the midnight call's cancellation, meaning she comes into work hella early. Over the course of the day, various office hijinks pile up more and more, leaving Ibuki and Akagi more and more at odds. Shirota, seeing the pressure and feeling guilty as his newfound feelings of friendship for the crew make him dislike putting them in this kind of military situation, asks Akagi to resign and asks Ibuki if there's something wrong at her home. And there definitely is, but most interestingly is that there's also something wrong at Aoyama's home. And all three pilots come under social pressure for being young and single (and the age relation to this is something with which I particularly sympathize. Most particularly Ibuki's barb to Akagi: "You're twenty five and you still buy toys!" "Age doesn't matter!" "It does!:), with Ibuki approaching her mid twenties, Akagi already having reached them, and Aoyama's reputation of being a lady-killer comes back in a big way as office gossip has his superior call him out for leaving work with unfinished tasks "to go to your girlfriend's house!" When in reality
Aoyama's mother is sick and in the hospital
. Then, when Aoyama
goes to the hospital, another alarm makes his mother force him to leave her there.

So yeah, really, really good illustration of young people working in their jobs, coping with social pressures and personal issues set to the back drop of a giant robot. Mecha at its finest as far as I'm concerned, even if there wasn't a drop of action in the show. Mecha should always be the vehicle through which a greater story is told.

Kazzy

Neon Genesis Evangelion 5-6

So this 'catches' me up where the first Rebuild movie ends. Clearly the movie took episode 6 and added a lot of fanfare and suspense to taking out that Angel, which was in my opinion done quite well - so watching the original afterwards seemed to lack a bit of suspense in comparison.

I think this is one of the few times I have seen the Rebuild films compared favorably to the series!

The moment where Rei actually smiles does look really bad in the show though (even if it does hold more gravitas behind it), I'll admit.

Sailor Moon SuperSilly 129

I'll admit, it's pretty fucking amazing when Motoki AND his sister appears two times in a row this late in the game. I mean wow, That's more appearances than Sailor Mars, Venus, Jupiter, and Mercury has already!

I swear to god, it's like suddenly Chibiusa is making use of big words and whatnot, the Pedogasus already made her a woman in her dreams (FORESHADOW). Peeking into the mirrors to see their dreams make them squeel as if they were getting horribly violated, and did I mention that everything seems super shiny in comparison to the last few seasons? It's like, a slightly less shiny version of the movies. Wow.

Oh yeah, Reika appears, you know, that person that was a Youma reincarnated into a human. I thought they died out since they stopped existing but I guess not. Maybe Ami's Boycock will come back!? :O :O :O

CorvoSol

Ass Fleet 10

Oh boy, no one can sway the Duchess except CLEO. Who didn't see this coming? The only thing about this show that is of note or interest is the character designs. Not the actual drawings of the characters, which look as much like ass as the cg ships do, but the designs on a conceptual level. Making the Duchess of Bordello into a "sexy" female Jabba the Hutt has been worth seeing this episode. Having everyone else onboard her little funship dressed like Entia from Xenoblade is also of note.

Also the most dramatic carriage ride I have ever seen.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just a heads up that the Kingdom manga translation's have finally passed where the anime's currently at. I'm gonna recommend people just read that instead of watching the anime unless they find the awful CG entertaining to watch.

*Drops S2*
First he gains the will to drop terrible anime flash shorts and now he has the will to drop Kingdom S2.

Wonzo is growing up.

Branduil

Ass Fleet 10

Oh boy, no one can sway the Duchess except CLEO. Who didn't see this coming? The only thing about this show that is of note or interest is the character designs. Not the actual drawings of the characters, which look as much like ass as the cg ships do, but the designs on a conceptual level. Making the Duchess of Bordello into a "sexy" female Jabba the Hutt has been worth seeing this episode. Having everyone else onboard her little funship dressed like Entia from Xenoblade is also of note.

Also the most dramatic carriage ride I have ever seen.

The costume designs in Glass Fleet are legitimately amazing.

iT4nG7vWBO0ia.jpg

iqVJ86Dn2SuqL.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I know that Okama is credited as character designer on Glass Fleet but I really have to wonder just how involved he was because, even if he's done some pretty eccentric stuff (see: Getsumen to Heiki Miina, Bizarre Jelly), none of it was ever overtly insane or aesthetically void in the way that Glass Fleet costuming is.

Sailor Moon SuperSilly 130

Upskirts yo

So instead of chasing teenage booty, they're now MILF hunting, starting with Usagi's mom. They really are targetting characters that are already establish, and that is kinda cool actually. Considering they'll cease to exist once we move into Stars.

Usagi is more bratty than before sadly, and we joke about Usagi being fat again.

But of course, Moon and Chibi Moon gets yet another power up, fuck your friends yo. Keep em useless. ;-; Dammit Sexy/Spinning. This is your fault.

With them hunting for a horse with wings, and the fact that they attacked someone riding horses last episode, when can I expect a Sarah Jessica Parker stand in?

CorvoSol

The costume designs in Glass Fleet are legitimately amazing.

iT4nG7vWBO0ia.jpg

iqVJ86Dn2SuqL.jpg

It's what keeps me going, really.

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 4

So Shakti has earned my pity. Poor girl has been kicked around the entire episode and everyone basically dumped Karlman on her, and Karlman proceeded to SHRIEK in her ears the ENTIRE episode. Poor kid. Anyway, Shakti has Scooby Doo for moral support, so there is that. Lt. Chronic and the Drugs Brigade are the latest and greatest in loser elites, who, like Mashmyre, Jerid, and basically the entire Zeon before them, continue to get their asses handed to them by an untrained kid and a woman with a busted leg.

Also I was reminded of the Hiimdaisy comic where Snake stares down Campbell and is all "YOU DON"T NEED LEGS TO DRIVE A TRUCK."

Anyway, the Shokew died and I'm sad, 'cuz that sucker was cool. Now it's back to the Gundam AGE V.

Mature

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still - 1
I've seen this first episode before, but I rewatched it so I can go into the following episodes not wondering what's going on. I also want to say that the Tragedy of Bashtarle is one of my favorite scenes in anime.

If I wasn't tired, I'd do a huge write up on how amazing this episode is. I am tired.

CorvoSol

A Generic and Nondescript Harem Anime of No Great Interest 1

Show kinda feels like the set up to a bad Greek drama mixed with a bad H-Game. None of that is helped by the Chorus at the beginning practically going "Do you know, do you know?" Character design is meh, and MC plays this game as if he were piloted by LA Noire's Phelps.

All of this will end well.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon SuperSilly 129

I'll admit, it's pretty fucking amazing when Motoki AND his sister appears two times in a row this late in the game. I mean wow, That's more appearances than Sailor Mars, Venus, Jupiter, and Mercury has already!

Yeah, that's my problem with the latter seasons. Not enough Inner Senshi.

cajunator

Banned
ahaha I tried not to be so negative last year on that team but I may have failed.

At least the Blackhawks won again.

I don't really know what School Days is but I think I remember hearing not-so-favorable things about it?

Just watched episode 4 of NGE. I think I liked the Misato/Shinji confrontation more in Rebuild but I don't recall the movie enough to say for sure or to really give a reason why. Also I think there's a few things here that weren't in the movie, unless my memory is simply failing me. But Shinji being Shinji and then he decides to stick around to be the Eva pilot.

School Days is not a bad show its just so good at making you aggravated on purpose. Its really one of a kind. In the best and worst way. And to really say much further would literally spoil everything.

I think I'll just stick to NGE for now, haha

Smart move!

By the way, just assume I don't know anything about any show because it will be close enough to the truth. I'm a real newbie here.

No worries. We will help you find stuff youll like.

School Days has one of the most cathartic moments ever done in an anime.

Lol. So very very true!

Sailor Moon SuperSilly 131

The Inner Senshi do not fight this episode. Yep, this is definitely my main criticism with Sexy/Spinning. But Naru is back, and the enemy is stealing her from Umino. For the "PRECURE of Sailor Moon", there's a shit ton of NTR being thrown around here.

It's nice that Minako, Rei, Makoto, and Ami appear, but it's like... why are you here again? I don't like that feeling. I know it's ongoing, but considering they're still part of a fighting squad it's like, give em a bone, yah? (yeah right).

The Pedogasus apparently outdoes the trap set up for him to the point of Styling and Profiling, he has what it takes to be Maximillion Pegasus.

Meanwhile Umino drinks himself into milkshake hell.

Theonik

I think that's just Don Bluthness shining through than anything else.

Anti-carnivore beliefs? From the creator of "All Dogs Go to Heaven?"

No, I'm pretty sure I know what the real story is here.
That had an evil carnivore that in the last moment repented from his evil carnivorous ways.

Oooh man!

Soooo looks like someone answered my prayers and there's a Watamote yuri doujin at Comiket.

Since I'm Not Popular, I'll Break Her!

Hohooooooooooo.
Oh my. Thanks for the heads up.

No I said small country (relative to US) not small market.
France has 65.4m inhabitants. They are not a small country at all.

Remember the part where the dog was murdered in the first five minutes of the movie? He got off light because he's technically omnivorous, I'm sure.

Just ask the villains in An American Tail & Land Before Time.
But to be fair, when you make movies where half the characters are natural predators to your main cast you have 2 options the later being vore.

There're probably a lot of shows that are 'requisite' viewing that I haven't seen.
There is a list somewhere I hear
. (this list isn't the same required viewing you think probably)

I still need to watch the Garzey's Wing dub. Maybe I'll get drunk tomorrow night and watch it.
Be sure to get friends. It makes the experience more than worth it.

We could recommend Sukeban Deka more.
Hey, I've already done my part. Albeit in Japanese, in getting 3-4 people to watch it!

Deconstructing the "magic" of Don Bluth, one ruthless post at a time.
Joke's on you I think Don Bluth is a hack.

Start the purge. Create the ideal society where only those that have seen Mad Bull 34 are around.
Do people that have only seen half of get permitted?

Would there be a giant statue of Sleepy in the town square?
Does the statue get to be the grenade crotch-guard sleepy?

Well there goes your opportunity to increase your reputation as a nice person.

Turn A Gundam 16

RECAP EPISODE
Don'y forger the CG asteroids!

No one will pay for hentai.
lies

Sailor Moon SuperSilly 132

AHAHAHAHA YES! I GOT MY SARAH JESSICA PARKER JOKE! My night is complete now.

Also more potential NTR, but with a college mate named Saori, who ends up finding out who Sailor Moon is because of a situation dealing with the enemy. Who was crying tears while saying she'll kill Mamoru after killing Sailor Moon. Creepy as shit.

No Inner Belly Button Squards this time. Being Usagi's friends is suffering. They're not even competing with the Outies.

Sailor Moon SuperSilly 133

Being Artemis is suffering. Accused of gawking at a nun, on top of fucking another cat with a kitten? Even Minako was pissed. With all the things he was confessing, it was pissing her off more and more. It's like she's pissed because Artemis cheated on her!

But in reality, it's another piece of luggage from the future, confirming whose gonna get boned. Loving the cheaters aspect of SuperSilly

CorvoSol

Sailor Moon SuperSilly 133

Being Artemis is suffering. Accused of gawking at a nun, on top of fucking another cat with a kitten? Even Minako was pissed. With all the things he was confessing, it was pissing her off more and more. It's like she's pissed because Artemis cheated on her!

But in reality, it's another piece of luggage from the future, confirming whose gonna get boned. Loving the cheaters aspect of SuperSilly

Thinking about Artemis and cheating reminded me of what is possibly the best worst fan fic I ever did saw. Now if only I could remember the title of that one. Someone here has probably read it and knows exactly what I'm thinking of, but if not . . .

wonzo

Banned
Yami Shibai 5

yamishibai5.jpg

An ungrateful father abandons shopping with his wife and child for work and ends up in an elevator to hell manned by a Mannequin. Definitely my favourite short from this series yet.

Teekyuu 18

rip slug

Theonik

Thinking about Artemis and cheating reminded me of what is possibly the best worst fan fic I ever did saw. Now if only I could remember the title of that one. Someone here has probably read it and knows exactly what I'm thinking of, but if not . . .
I only know of the one where Optimus prime has an amusement park camera setup in his anus where he also stores portraits of this lovers taken with that system.

Da Capo I, II and III

ohhhhhhh boy. oh boy. ohhh boy ohhh boy was that bad. Someone shoot me now. I put up with 3 different iterations of this absolute garbage. I am now desensitized to awful. This makes every show this season look fantastic. I'd rather watch the entire second half of SAO on repeat like 10 times then this.

Theonik

Da Capo I, II and III

ohhhhhhh boy. oh boy. ohhh boy ohhh boy was that bad. Someone shoot me now. I put up with 3 different iterations of this absolute garbage. I am now desensitized to awful. This makes every show this season look fantastic. I'd rather watch the entire second half of SAO on repeat like 10 times then this.
Joke's on you for watching that garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom