• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
ANN's at Japan Expo USA and they got a handful of pictures of the Space Dandy illustrations/animation cuts on display:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-23/bones-japan-expo-booth-shows-new-space-dandy-stills
20130822_183107.jpg
The art direction for this is on point.

Theonik

Cardcaptor Sakura 31
2 cards in one episode?
Kaiju Sakura! That satisfaction in the end lol. Also create literally fell into the hands of the worst possible person it could have fallen to.
Some decent effect animation this episode.

BluWacky

Hunter X Hunter (2011) 2

I loathed the first half of this episode. Not only did Leorio annoy the crap out of me, but
given that Gon - and the doofus that was following him - give essentially correct answers to "impossible" ethical questions, surely they should all be successful? If you're asked a question, "no answer" is not an answer. Try pulling that in any normal exam and you'll get no marks.

I was relieved, however, that Gon was taken seriously for properly pondering it. I'd save my mum every time for exactly the same reasons, though.

Second half was fine, although I guess it probably plays better in the manga when
the shapeshifters don't actually have voices you can tell apart

Ojamajo Doremi #7

IF YOU GUYS SUCK AS PARENTS THEN YOU GUYS ARE SHIT! SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Also Squid Octo couple is back again, with the "If our baby fails, then we can't have interspecies relationships".

But it's episode 7 folks.

Theonik

Cardcaptor Sakura 32
Can't have a mahou shoujo show without a body swap episode.
This was one of the funnier takes on the idea though. Mostly because Kerro-chan rocks.

Vecks

This is not really on topic for Summer 2013 anime but...

Can anyone sell me on Neon Genesis Evangelion? Should I watch it?

You've never watched it before? Depends on what you're looking for in anime. I'm not a fan of it, but it is a classic. I mean, you could always just watch a few episodes and see if it hooks you in.

Apparently his breakthrough role was Sanada Yuki in Tsuritama, back in Spring 2012 (I'm sure plenty of people appreciated him there). According to the Japanese Wikipedia, he couldn't believe it when he heard he'd passed the audition for that role, and found himself walking around his room in an excited daze as soon as he got off the phone with the good news. And of course when it came to the actual recording, it was Sugita Tomokazu who helped him to overcome his horrible nerves, because Sugita is the coolest bro ever. After Tsuritama, he went on to nab a couple of lead roles in the same year (main character Akito in OniAi and Sasayan in Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, both Autumn 2012), but it's this year that he's made an absolute killing, with at least one major role every season, almost all of them the main characters of their respective shows. To wit:

In Winter 13, he voiced one MC: Eita in OreShura.

In Spring 13 he voiced two MCs: Haruto in Valvrave and Maou in Hataraku Maou-sama!.

In Summer 13 he's voicing two MCs again - Staz in Blood Lad and Jun in Rozen Maiden - plus Sugane in Gatchaman Crowds, who is arguably the lead male character of that series.

And in the coming Autumn 13 season, he's voicing two MCs once more - Sawamura Eijun in Daiya no Ace and Sena Arata in Danbooru Senki - plus Shinmoto Chika in Super Seisyun Brothers, who's one of the four titular siblings and so I guess the closest thing that series has to an MC, and a couple of lesser main characters: Yaze Motoki in Strike The Blood, and Isaki Kaname in Nagi no Asu Kara.

The guy has certainly made a pretty little career for himself over the past year.

Wow, quite the backstory he has right there. Seeing how good he was in Tsuritama I'm not surprised many people wanted him to start voicing more. Also I'm glad to hear that one of my favorite VA's Sugita had his back through that anime. I had forgotten that Sugita was in the anime as well, he was the guy with the duck. I only saw a little of him speaking since I stopped in the middle of the show, so I didn't hear him speak much.

If that happens I will watch and read this regardless of the story just to see it. I love me that yandere goodness.

This is not really on topic for Summer 2013 anime but...

Can anyone sell me on Neon Genesis Evangelion? Should I watch it?

The anime has one of the more well done lead characters in anime featuring mechs and deep thinking. Additionally the supporting cast is strong and display real emotions when approached with the larger than life and mind shattering moments that defy logic that they encounter. Its worth watching. You could also check out Guilty Crown, similar in quality and phenomenal story that has numerous similarities.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episode 14: Well, so we kick off the new arc in earnest with the Bentenmaru receiving a package bound for the Fire Nation (Cat-Monkeys, seriously?) which had its time locks mysteriously tampered with and really the whole upshot is to justify the continued existence of the Yacht Club on this show as they really have fallen to irrelevancy in recent times, indeed this show is understand that the High School bits, nobody cares about the High School bits. Also, the show remembered that Marika love interest #47 and alleged main character Chiaki is supposed to be a fixture on this program and reintroduces her.

Theonik

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 01
This is really ugly. I kinda like the dark atmosphere they have going for it but the rest of the execution sort of lets it down. I'll stick with it for the sake of getting to the 90s OVA though.

Glad to see someone else really appreciate the show. I think the show visually is average at best but the writing is amazing.
Yeah, calling the visuals average is probably accurate; it doesn't look great, but it doesn't look bad either. Perfectly acceptable, but nothing special. It more than makes up for any visual shortfalls with the great writing and story, for sure, though! It really is a quite surprisingly good show, far better than I ever thought it would be. Apparently it's got a non-ending of sorts, but it IS a LN conversion, so I guess it unfortunately couldn't avoid that pitfall of the category.

Ah well, hopefully it does well enough to get some kind of continuation... it deserves one! With great writing, interesting stories, a deeper analysis of how people think than you almost ever get in TV anime, it's a quality show I definitely recommend. I'm really liking it now, after some mixed feelings about the early episodes.

Oh, and yeah, the MC and female lead are great, too. Both of their attitudes and character are interesting and I like them. The other girl is kind of annoying, as her character type usually is, but they manage to make her a more interesting character than most "peppy annoying" type characters are, at least, so that's good. But the main two are why I keep watching for sure, that and the usually-interesting stories of the episodes/arcs. Like everything else about the show, it's great how the characters are very atypical compared to what you might 'expect' from an LN-conversion anime, and the stories are serious and have some layers, too. Very good stuff.

That's what Date A Live is!? Holy moly, I never looked into it because the name sounded like a plain romance anime. I didn't know it had chicks in tight metal gear.

Is it any good?
It's about a guy who has to make some "spirit" girls into waifus because otherwise they'll keep blowing up parts of the world. That girl there is one of the anti-spirit troops, but the "have the MC date them" plan is the peaceful option for stopping them. It's okay for its genre, I think (not that that's saying a lot). But yes, it does have suits like that for the fights.

Tenumi

Banned
Reading the actual spoilers it sounds like
Yozora~~~
already won.

The
chick who admits to liking masturbating always wins.

MC is god awful though. He doesn't deserve any of the girls outside of Meat who is also equally terrible. Basically OreImo v2

Sounds like I need to read the LN.....

Sad... I wanted
Rika~~~~~~
to win. But I've always prefered
Yozora~~~
over
Sena~~~~

cnet128

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura 32
Can't have a mahou shoujo show without a body swap episode.
This was one of the funnier takes on the idea though. Mostly because Kerro-chan rocks.

I'm pretty sure you can have mahou shoujo without this, because Precure (up to where I'm at) has been sorely lacking in that department. Probably the closest thing we've had was when Nagisa briefly imagined herself transforming into a mascot back at the halfway point of the original series.

What you meant to say, I'm sure, is that one shouldn't have a mahou shoujo show without a body swap episode. Thankfully, I believe I've heard that Precure does go there eventually. Whew. Injustice rectified.

Moretsu Pirates/Bodacious Space Pirates Episode 14: Well, so we kick off the new arc in earnest with the Bentenmaru receiving a package bound for the Fire Nation (Cat-Monkeys, seriously?) which had its time locks mysteriously tampered with and really the whole upshot is to justify the continued existence of the Yacht Club on this show as they really have fallen to irrelevancy in recent times, indeed this show is understand that the High School bits, nobody cares about the High School bits. Also, the show remembered that Marika love interest #47 and alleged main character Chiaki is supposed to be a fixture on this program and reintroduces her.

Hey, no hating on the Yacht Club! They're cool!

Hating on Chiaki is fine though. Most boring HanaKana character ever.

That's what Date A Live is!? Holy moly, I never looked into it because the name sounded like a plain romance anime. I didn't know it had chicks in tight metal gear.

Is it any good?

Please be aware that you are looking at the worst character in the show (though she has her moments). Take that as you will.

It's a fun little show, and one of the girls in it is pretty goddess-tier. You should give it a try.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
By the way, thanks a bunch for not marking this as "Haganai LN 9 spoilers" or anything. Because, you know, some of us might not realize what it was just from the link title alone since we don't lurk /a/ all the time.

I agree saying something is going school days is a spoiler in itself.

Ojamajo Doremi #8

Didn't know they had crayons designing the cities in the 80s. Sounds less bleak too.

Time Travel Hijinx and parental PTSD as Onpu's mother goes into it upon hearing where Onpu is performing. Sadly upon finding out her stage name, I couldn't help but shout "SAKURAAAAAAAAAAI"

The lullaby is getting real old though :(

Theonik

I'm pretty sure you can have mahou shoujo without this, because Precure (up to where I'm at) has been sorely lacking in that department. Probably the closest thing we've had was when Nagisa briefly imagined herself transforming into a mascot back at the halfway point of the original series.

What you meant to say, I'm sure, is that one shouldn't have a mahou shoujo show without a body swap episode. Thankfully, I believe I've heard that Precure does go there eventually. Whew. Injustice rectified.
These are kind of interchangeable in this case yes. I should have noted it doesn't always happen but it is an integral part of many a shows!

Worst reason ever.
Perhaps so. But I think the reward is worth it. I COULD always not watch the first (2000) OVA but then I'd jump midway into the story of the second OVA. Can't have that!
I do know what happens or at least what matters but I'd rather see it adapted in a semi-chronological manner.

Not really. I dropped it after a few episodes myself because of how unpleasant it was to watch and I really loved the OVAs myself, those were fantastic and looked great.

That said he should probably just drop the show and watch the OVA.
This IS the 2000 OVA I'm talking about. It was titled as such.

cnet128

Banned
This IS the 2000 OVA I'm talking about. It was titled as such.

Oh, that's okay then. I thought you were talking about watching the David Production series just to get to the OVAs, which would be a crime. Watching the 2000 OVA just to get to the 90s OVA makes infinitely more sense.

The optimal course of action is still to pretend the OVAs don't exist and just wait for a proper adaptation of Part 3, though.

Theonik

A thing that caught my eye about the JoJo 2000 OVA, Skywalker sound is actually credited in the opening curiously enough. That's something I haven't seen in anime a lot.

It's about a guy who has to make some "spirit" girls into waifus because otherwise they'll keep blowing up parts of the world. That girl there is one of the anti-spirit troops, but the "have the MC date them" plan is the peaceful option for stopping them. It's okay for its genre, I think (not that that's saying a lot). But yes, it does have suits like that for the fights.

Please be aware that you are looking at the worst character in the show (though she has her moments). Take that as you will.

It's a fun little show, and one of the girls in it is pretty goddess-tier. You should give it a try.

I must watch then, thanks for the feedback.

Ah ah you have no idea ...

Dog and Scissors Episodes 1-2

tumblr_inline_mqo7u9hveh1qz4rgp.gif
Answer this question first : did you enjoy those 2 eps or not ?

Is it any good?

DATE-A-live is ANything but plain.
Yeah it has those kind of chicks ..but they are the worse girls.
you can still enjoy it if you try.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Hey, no hating on the Yacht Club! They're cool!

Hating on Chiaki is fine though. Most boring HanaKana character ever.

No, the Yacht Club is pretty pointless at this point since the show has shifted away from High School because seriously fuck the High School shit when you have space pirates.

Oh, that's okay then. I thought you were talking about watching the David Production series just to get to the OVAs, which would be a crime. Watching the 2000 OVA just to get to the 90s OVA makes infinitely more sense.

The optimal course of action is still to pretend the OVAs don't exist and just wait for a proper adaptation of Part 3, though.

No, the 1990s OVAs should definitely be watched for the thrilling gambling episode and the awesome animation David Production will never be able to match unless they somehow pull Iso out from whatever hole he's in.

A thing that caught my eye about the JoJo 2000 OVA, Skywalker sound is actually credited in the opening curiously enough. That's something I haven't seen in anime a lot.

I saw Skywalker Sound in anime credits just recently; they worked on 009 Re:Cyborg.

Mr.Jeff

Hajime no Ippo Rising will be a co-production between Madhouse and MAPPA. The main staff from Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger will be returning: Jun Shishido as director, Kazuyuki Fudeyasu as scriptwriter, and Koji Sugiura as character designer. Masafumi Mima returns from the original Hajime no Ippo as sound director.
The character designs still look a bit too shiny. Nice to see they have the old cast back together but it does leave me wondering who they'll get to fill the role of Coack Kamogawa after Kenji Utsumi died a few months back.

Dresden

The real challenge for the new Ippo anime will be navigating through the morass of post-New Challenger content (and it's not like NC was great). In short: it sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom