• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be right back, reading calmly Nafe impressions to the sound of this:

トップをねらえ! D弐 47:時の河を越えて...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8IIPKHR6eA

I'm always resorting to this link (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44669444&postcount=17460), shows how much it is a favorite of mine!

You have excellent musical taste. That is also a personal favorite ;).

Theonik

Cardcaptor Sakura 28
Meilin best girl etc
How can she mess up so bad though.
And where did the fake cards come from.

Articalys

I thought people would be interested in something about the industry, but I guess merely being connected to something like SAO is enough to make people skim right over it.

Mr.Jeff

I thought people would be interested in something about the industry, but I guess merely being connected to something like SAO is enough to make people skim right over it.
I found it interesting but I was skimming the thread at work on the sly earlier so couldn't properly reply. I'd just assumed that Manga was looking to monopolise on SAO's popularlity by themselves but explaining it like that makes a twisted sense.

It seems to be a more recent thing for companies to actually explain why certain things aren't possible rather than just steadfastedly say "No" with no explanation. Obviously, there's only so far you can push that before various contracts and NDA's come into effect but it makes a nice change.

People say the same thing about Stand Alone Complex! So when's the Sky Crawlers TV series coming?

It's true that Oshii really isn't concerned about characters as such. Though Goto in the Patlabor movies is awesome, and I think Oshii felt a special connection with him, certainly as compared to the younger Patlabor crew.

Well is the TV series good? Character work isn't always interesting or great in of itself.

The characters are good, so yes, the TV series is good.

BluWacky

It's difficult to quote posts like that, and it's UK-based so many people won't have bothered.

Things I think are worth noting:

i) Manga say there are no fears of parallel imports - and I guess that's true for the UK when we're not in the same region as Japan (and we're such a small market anyway). I guess it's impossible to get hard numbers on whether parallel imports are really so dangerous, but given how poorly most shows sell on BD in Japan I'd rather get extra sales from somewhere...

ii) All the series they specifically mention are Aniplex titles (Exorcist, FMA and Fairy Tail).

iii) While it may be difficult to do "lavish" things in the UK, there are certain things I don't consider lavish that Manga, Kaze etc. don't do - namely BD releases. I realise that market realities make it uneconomical on niche series here, but it's a Catch 22 situation - I have no interest in buying DVD releases of Xam'd or Penguindrum.

Hajime no Ippo Rising will be a co-production between Madhouse and MAPPA. The main staff from Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger will be returning: Jun Shishido as director, Kazuyuki Fudeyasu as scriptwriter, and Koji Sugiura as character designer. Masafumi Mima returns from the original Hajime no Ippo as sound director.

To-Love Ru Darkness - Episode 3

There's so many bathroom scenes in this show, I think this is like the 3rd one already. Also what the brown haired girl said to Rito, man if I was in Rito's shoes I don't know what I would have done. Though seeing it as Rito it was expected that
he'd turn her down.

Anyways, I guess an action part happens next episode since some serious characters are showing up.

Yeah, Kamiya isn't one of those VAs I've ever really consciously latched on to and followed, but he is pretty damn solid and awesome. Araragi is his definitive role for me.

He's also playing Rohan in the soon-to-be-released JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle game, which means we'll get to hear him in another iconic role if the anime ever gets to Part 4. Which had better happen. Soon.

So is he considered like the Nolan North or Troy Baker of anime?

cajunator

Banned
To-Love Ru Darkness - Episode 3

There's so many bathroom scenes in this show, I think this is like the 3rd one already. Also what the brown haired girl said to Rito, man if I was in Rito's shoes I don't know what I would have done. Though seeing it as Rito it was expected that
he'd turn her down.

Anyways, I guess an action part happens next episode since some serious characters are showing up.

So is he considered like the Nolan North or Troy Baker of anime?

Brown haired girl is Mikan and she is ultra adorable

duckroll

iii) While it may be difficult to do "lavish" things in the UK, there are certain things I don't consider lavish that Manga, Kaze etc. don't do - namely BD releases. I realise that market realities make it uneconomical on niche series here, but it's a Catch 22 situation - I have no interest in buying DVD releases of Xam'd or Penguindrum.

From what I've heard though, blu-ray releases for anime are definitely considered "lavish" in UK. The market is so bad that it basically makes it not worthwhile to release pretty much ANYTHING in blu-ray apparently. They would actually lose money on it.

Back then it was Tomokazu Sugita, now its...

Nolan North = Yuki Kaji

Troy Baker = Ryouta Osaka

I'm not sure about Yuki, but the Ryouta guy is outstanding. He doesn't seem like he's been a VA for long and has a ton of main characters he's voiced already. That's quite surprising.

I only know 3 VA's and that's Kaneda Tomoko (because of her squeaky voice), Sugita Tomozaku (he has a sarcastic over the top comedy voice), and Nakai Kazuya (because he has a deep rough voice and voices most tough characters).

While these 3 aren't the greatest there the only one's who's names I remember.

Brown haired girl is Mikan and she is ultra adorable

I always forget characters names so I usually call them by their hair color. I've seen so much anime in such a short burst that I eventually forget who belongs in what anime.

DiGiKerot

There wasn't really anything to add to what was being said, to be honest. Plus I was there when Jeremy announced the release schedule and format for SAO at Ayacon this weekend gone, and this was mostly a reiteration of what was said then.

Defuser

I'm not sure about Yuki, but the Ryouta guy is outstanding. He doesn't seem like he's been a VA for long and has a ton of main characters he's voiced already. That's quite surprising.

I only know 3 VA's and that's Kaneda Tomoko (because of her squeaky voice), Sugita Tomozaku (he has a sarcastic over the top comedy voice), and Nakai Kazuya (because he has a deep rough voice and voices most tough characters).

Yuuki Kaji is the anti-nolan north of voice acting 2012. His breakout role was guilty crown(lol), after that he was snagging lead action roles such as Accel world(lol), Magi(lol),High School DxD(lol) Aquarion Evol(lol) and now Attack on Titan.

At first I thought Yoshitsugu Matsuoka would be the next Troy Baker because of Sword Art Online but he didn't get much lead roles after that but Ryouta Osaka was a surprise snagging lead roles one after another

Oh, I forgot Jun Fukuyama is another one to join alongside of Tomokazu Sugita back then after his role in Code Geass.

Articalys

There wasn't really anything to add to what was being said, to be honest. Plus I was there when Jeremy announced the release schedule and format for SAO at Ayacon this weekend gone, and this was mostly a reiteration of what was said then.
At the con he even went as far to mention that Aniplex originally didn't even want to bother selling SAO in the UK at all?

Mr.Jeff

From what I've heard though, blu-ray releases for anime are definitely considered "lavish" in UK. The market is so bad that it basically makes it not worthwhile to release pretty much ANYTHING in blu-ray apparently. They would actually lose money on it.
I think part of that problem lies in pricing.

While I understand why they have to be priced as they do and are probably far cheaper than releases in other countires, when you're faced with regular television programmes and movies being released on DVD and Blu-Ray that eventually drop down to ridiculously cheap values, it makes it hard to reconcile why you should pay that extra.

It's probably not helped by those pesky contracts which force companies to put out series which they know will die a death on UK shores due to packaging or subject matter or just objectively not being good.

Edit: Speaking of VA's that have suddenly become popular, I'd say Yuiichi Nakamura has been doing fairly well for himself.

CorvoSol

The Kapool is straight from ZZ, "Capule". The only difference are the colors and that the Turn-A version seems to have a different scale in the show itself, being much smaller than the other mobile suits, while the ZZ version was almost as tall as the other ones.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/zz/amx-109.htm

In one of the first episodes, he mentioned something about not liking Earth's air. IIRC, he says that it's too dusty.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up, then. I didn't even remember this thing from ZZ.

Defuser

Looking at the latest Railgun S ep 19 screencaps and seeing a naked Saten-san I keep forgetting that she is only 13 years old. Why J.C.Staff/Kamachi why?

Articalys

Remember: you are (probably) not at the Space Dandy exhibition at Japan Expo USA right now.
ac2CuSs.jpg

RgN743l.jpg
https://twitter.com/space_dandy/status/370938367816372225/photo/1
https://twitter.com/space_dandy/status/370937948159483904/photo/1

I know I'm not, and I'm pretty salty about it.

duckroll

At the con he even went as far to mention that Aniplex originally didn't even want to bother selling SAO in the UK at all?

The anime market in UK is -really- bad.

Remember: you are (probably) not at the Space Dandy exhibition at Japan Expo USA right now.

Damnit!!!!!!!!! I wannaaaaaaa go.

Nafe

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen

Episode 3

Getting back to my comments on the show again. I really liked the scene earlier in the episode where it transitions from Jun going to bed to winding up in the pile of doll parts. hosannainexcelsis does a really good job of detailing that scene in his comments post about episode 3 so I'll just link to it for people to read: here.

tW2oHVJ.jpg

--I don't think anyone mentioned it but when I commented about scene transitions using similar imagery, honestly the detailing you see on the bottom half of the sliding window out to the balcony reminded me of the colour and look of the pile of doll parts. The kind of thing that's not too uncommon in a show or movie where someone might see some regular object in the room they're in and their mind distorts that in their dream. Maybe it's not intentional again but that's just something I thought of. This episode also seemed to further reinforce about Jun distancing himself from his sister.--

Speaking of Jun, his seiyuu, Ryota Ohsaka, seems to be another up and comer who's appearing in a lot of shows recently. I first heard him as Yuki in Tsuritama and just recently he's been doing the voice for Haruto in Valvrave, Sugune in Gatchaman Crowds and someone else who I can't remember.

Looking at some other staff, Branduil has already mentioned that the composer, Shinkichi Mitsumune, already worked on the previous entries in Rozen Maiden but worked on the music in Utena as well. The animated character designer,Kyuta Sakai, also worked on Sankarea so you might notice some similarities there. Another DEEN show worked on was Higurashi no naku koro ni and two non DEEN shows were the animated designs for Steins;Gate and Humanity has Declined (which I haven't seen yet but would like to).

v2NSEIp.jpg

--I also just wanted to quickly point out that the girl you see here detailing what the class will be doing is not just some random person. For those that never watched the first series or had forgotten from the first episode, this girl is named Tomoe. She was the human master of Hinaichigo.--

Talking about characters and designs, the other big scene I liked was that of Jun's backstory and why he's shut in. Maybe I'm misremembering details but in the first series it was something more like Jun usually did well on tests and then one test came up where he got more of an average grade and other kids started picking on him that "he's not so special after all." The idea of more looking at gender associations and such I thought was much more interesting and makes a better case for Jun's condition. The way the fabric was kind of used as a visual bookend to that scene both leading into and out of it was nice.

The way the rafters in the gymnasium have that visual similarity to aid in the scene transition was also a nice effect. I liked how initially the rafters are the first thing shown at that part. It works as a nice scene transition to lead you from one location to the next but they also sort of look cage like as to imply Jun is trapped and to give you a sense of what's coming. Very well done episode. I think it was about here that I thought the show was going to be pretty good after all with the technique and skill shown off after these first three episodes.

cnet128

Banned

Apparently his breakthrough role was Sanada Yuki in Tsuritama, back in Spring 2012 (I'm sure plenty of people appreciated him there). According to the Japanese Wikipedia, he couldn't believe it when he heard he'd passed the audition for that role, and found himself walking around his room in an excited daze as soon as he got off the phone with the good news. And of course when it came to the actual recording, it was Sugita Tomokazu who helped him to overcome his horrible nerves, because Sugita is the coolest bro ever. After Tsuritama, he went on to nab a couple of lead roles in the same year (main character Akito in OniAi and Sasayan in Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, both Autumn 2012), but it's this year that he's made an absolute killing, with at least one major role every season, almost all of them the main characters of their respective shows. To wit:

In Winter 13, he voiced one MC: Eita in OreShura.

In Spring 13 he voiced two MCs: Haruto in Valvrave and Maou in Hataraku Maou-sama!.

In Summer 13 he's voicing two MCs again - Staz in Blood Lad and Jun in Rozen Maiden - plus Sugane in Gatchaman Crowds, who is arguably the lead male character of that series.

And in the coming Autumn 13 season, he's voicing two MCs once more - Sawamura Eijun in Daiya no Ace and Sena Arata in Danbooru Senki - plus Shinmoto Chika in Super Seisyun Brothers, who's one of the four titular siblings and so I guess the closest thing that series has to an MC, and a couple of lesser main characters: Yaze Motoki in Strike The Blood, and Isaki Kaname in Nagi no Asu Kara.

The guy has certainly made a pretty little career for himself over the past year.

Edit: Speaking of VA's that have suddenly become popular, I'd say Yuiichi Nakamura has been doing fairly well for himself.

Eh, I wouldn't say that's a recent development. Nakamura has been in the business over a decade now, starting out in 2001 (just two years after his bro Sugita Tomokazu) and has had an extremely lucrative career in both anime and games since around 2006. The earliest big role that I know him from is Tomoya, the main character of Clannad in 2007, and the role I associate him with most strongly is Hazama in the BlazBlue games, a role he's been doing since 2008.

EDIT: lol, even Nafe is (unwittingly?) getting in on the Ryouta Ohsaka hype train.

Nafe

EDIT: lol, even Nafe is (unwittingly?) getting in on the Ryouta Ohsaka hype train.

Ha! I was writing up my comments and just saw this now, haha.

If the Japanese Wiki is correct about that then that's pretty neat how it worked out with the character Yuki in Tsuritama. The way he's initially so nervous in around others and a major part of the story is him getting confidence and breaking out of his shell.

Branduil

I hear you, but after all the Ms. Utsumi comments about her own predilections for the designs I think their enemy was in-house all the time...

Well, I was using "executive meddling" as shorthand for any interference by higher powers, not necessarily an actual executive.

Theonik

Cardcaptor Sakura 29
I must admit they managed to surprise me by finding a use for Mirror. But there is not way they'll replicate this with Sweet. No way.
Being Mei-lin is suffering.
That teacher is still very creepy.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This is not really on topic for Summer 2013 anime but...

Can anyone sell me on Neon Genesis Evangelion? Should I watch it?

I think its worth watching as an anime fan no matter if you think you will like it or not honestly. I'm not a huge fan of it myself, I generally don't think much of Anno to begin with but you kind of have to watch Evangelion at some point as an anime fan.

cnet128

Banned
This is not really on topic for Summer 2013 anime but...

Can anyone sell me on Neon Genesis Evangelion? Should I watch it?

There's no need to stick to talking about Summer 2013 anime here. We talk about any and all anime that people might be watching at any given time. And we often give recommendations when people aren't sure what series to watch, so your question is entirely on-topic!

...That said, I'm not sure how best to sell Evangelion. I'm not as big a fan of it as your average anime fan, and I consider it a pretty awkward series to get into (it took me years to actually watch the whole thing. Kept losing momentum and stopping partway through.) It's definitely a classic, though, and has some really powerful scenes and interesting themes. Lots of memorable moments to be found. It certainly can't hurt to give it a try.

cajunator

Banned

So good. Im legit excited for it lol.

The delusion is that Hyouka is a show worth licensing in the first place.

Glad anime companies these days finally have some standards.

Your avatar and the amount of hate you routinely display are so at odds as to be amusing.

Theonik

Cardcaptor Sakura 30
Li getting dash was total BS. Total BS I say.
Good episode though. 5 more till the end of the season/time for the movie I think.
Edit: Forgot to mention but the outfit at the start was really cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom