• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
waiting for the FFXIV EA to be fixed, i managed to watch all the evangelion movies, and now im craving more. how is the show compared to the films? im really interested in watching them now.

ebay has super cheap boxsets but the box's are in horrible shape damn.

Branduil

Attack on Titan 20

iblV95k6rr4lwt.jpg

Well it was better than the last episode.

But there's plenty of people to watch them!

Show is much better than the movies.

yay. the only other anime series ive seen is X (absolutely love) and witch hunter robin and now evangelion. what are some other recommendations? i love the whole apocalyptic storyline like in X and eva, and am a sucker for anything mecha.

i know i need to see gundam, but theres SO MANY different variations :/

and ive seen a short film about a mecha, i think it was called raphexion? or something similar?

Quick update:

More people watching SM and Utena.
Precure suffered backlash. (except Heartcatch)
Ojamajo Doremi more widely acknowledged as legit.

ftfy

Ojamajo Doremi #15

Mother's Day episode. And considering the amount of suffering that has happened up till now.... Masaru and Shiori take the spot light again...

Fucking pulled my heart strings here. I think what gets to me here (and in Heartcatch Precure) is that it's children trying to put up with this that makes it more heartbreaking.
Forgetting memories of your mother just dragging you down and hating Mother's Day for it because it just brings more pain. Masaru is honestly a cool dude since he considered Shiori's problems as an excuse to skip class, which stuns Seki. Apparently Seki also had problems, but it was her father instead, so we get more backstory on it.

What pisses me off is the fact that she was rejected from teaching in a private school for not having a father, which led to her not rejecting her students for lack of a parental figure on one side. Awesome teacher. At first, I thought the episode was long winded, because it's like the meat and potatoes already happened, but that ending ;-; Magic didn't actually suck here.

yami4ct

Quick update:

More people watching SM and Utena.
Precure suffered backlash.
Ojamajo Doremi more widely acknowledged as legit.

Reminds me, I really need to get through the rest of Utena before school gets back in. Only a few episodes left. Really don't want it to end. It's way too good.

zeroshiki

yay. the only other anime series ive seen is X (absolutely love) and witch hunter robin and now evangelion. what are some other recommendations? i love the whole apocalyptic storyline like in X and eva, and am a sucker for anything mecha.

and ive seen a short film about a mecha, i think it was called raphexion? or something similar?

Rahxephon is great. Its like mini-Eva and was made during a time when BONES didn't suck. (Ignore CorvoSol regarding anything about this)

If you want mecha, then you should watch Guren Lagann or Code Geass. Both are awesome in their own way.

The best one is Zeta, but all the UC Gundams are worth your time. Even ZZ.

Also, I think you mean RahXephon.

CorvoSol

At least I acknowledge that the answer to my problem is within grasp.

UC Gundam (starting with 0079) isn't bad (as long as you're not watching the English dub of Zeta, which blows), but you might also check out Wing or SEED, which are other popular points to jump on.

I did not like Rah Xephon at all, other people do, and they're welcome to do so. But I really did not enjoy it, and it remains the one mecha anime that I could not finish. And I've watched some bad mecha anime.

Rahxephon is great. Its like mini-Eva and was made during a time when BONES didn't suck. (Ignore CorvoSol regarding anything about this)

If you want mecha, then you should watch Guren Lagann or Code Geass. Both are awesome in their own way.

It sometimes worries me that this oft-repeated mantra will give people the impression that I'm wrong on other things, which I don't think I am. We can all argue Rah Xephon all we want, but I maintain that I'm well justified in thinking Gundam AGE, 00 S2, and E7AO are pure and utter shit.

Gurren Lagann and Code Geass are also things I'd recommend, though. I enjoyed both of those shows. I would also add Full Metal Panic!, The Big O, and Eureka Seven to the list.

Attack on Titan 20

No answers given.
No fucks given.

I'd like to think that next episode we're going to see who is under that hood and that we're going to get to know something here, but considering the way episode 18's cliffhanger was conjured out of 100% nothing, I have no reason to trust this show or maintain faith in it. At this point I'm only watching it so that I can continue to feel better about Majestic Prince. Because really, the most positive result of watching Attack on Titan for me has been my newfound enjoyment of Majestic Prince.

The best one is Zeta, but all the UC Gundams are worth your time. Even ZZ.

Also, I think you mean RahXephon.

ZZ >>> Z

zeroshiki

I agree that AGE, 00 and E7 AO are awful. You should probably add SEED Destiny to that list as well. Basically, its really hard to find good mecha anime nowadays.

yami4ct

I remember watching RahXePhon back in the day in one of G4's very first anime blocks. Don't remember much about it except it being really weird in a way I didn't enjoy. Man, what I weird block that was now that I'm thinking back. A lot of what I can assume were not very good shows that I enjoyed. Remember it having Gad Guard, Silent Mobius, RoD the TV. Oh well, at least it introduced me to the awesome RoD OVA.

Sci-Fi also had a weird anime block with some pretty weird shows. I remember it having Tokko, Noein (Which I never could finish. Should get back to that), Monster(Like Noein, never finished that one. Really meaning to pick it back up, but its so long), Macross Plus, Gundam 00, Now and then, Here and There, and of corse Gurren Lagaan. Those blocks were instrumental in keeping me in anime in my mid to late teens. Not sure how well most of those hold up. I bet many would be garbage on a rewatch.

I agree that AGE, 00 and E7 AO are awful. You should probably add SEED Destiny to that list as well. Basically, its really hard to find good mecha anime nowadays.

I still think 00 Season 1 is a ton of fun. Really enjoyed it. Season 2 and especially the movie are utter crap, though. AO and Destiny are also garbage of corse.

Destiny, for all its warts, has some really good moments in the first two thirds of the series. It's not necessarily a good show, but it's certainly not worthy of being mentioned alongside those stinkers.

Destiny feels more like a show of missed potential. It was a flawed show up to a point, and then went completely off the rails in the final 13 episodes, but there's still far more of merit there than in something like Age or AO.

yami4ct

Destiny, for all its warts, has some really good moments in the first two thirds of the series. It's not necessarily a good show, but it's certainly not worthy of being mentioned alongside those stinkers.

Destiny feels more like a show of missed potential. It was a flawed show up to a point, and then went completely off the rails in the final 13 episodes, but there's still far more of merit there than in something like Age or AO.

It seems like you feel about Destiny like I feel about 00. It's interesting to see how people react to the lesser gundam shows. Don't think anyone can defend AGE, though.

CorvoSol

My problem with hating SEED Destiny is that I know it is a terrible series, but since it was the 2nd Gundam series I ever watched, I have a soft spot for it. Definitely bottom 4 Gundam series, though.

I still think 00 Season 1 is a ton of fun. Really enjoyed it. Season 2 and especially the movie are utter crap, though. AO and Destiny are also garbage of corse.

I've softened up with regards to 00 S1. I wasn't a big fan, but it wasn't as bad as what came after. I liked the OP a lot, and the show's plot was more or less consistent and the presentation was excellent. S2 on is terrible, but S1 was ok.

I think my problem with Destiny (aside from Shinn, Stella, and Shinn x Stella), was just that too much of it was a retread of SEED, and the rest was a lot of bad decisions. Like
the Shinn "killing" Kira scene. I mean, that fight was SO contrived for me. Even not having seen SEED when I first watched Destiny, I could tell that fight was bullshit and that Kira should've won.
But yeah, Destiny has a lot of wasted ideas.

Part 2 is good. Ok, AGE has some good. If you just watch Part 2, you're probably OK.......
and I still do really like the Part 2 and 3 mecha designs.

I think only a select few designs from AGE are what I would call good mech designs. Namely the AGE-2 in all white, and Woolf's mecha, the G-Bouncers or whatever. Everything else in that show is possibly the worst mech designs I've ever seen in a not CG mecha show.

zeroshiki

When they decided to shift the story from ZAFT to JesusYamatoAndFriends is when it went off the rails. I remember being really excited when Kira first showed up in Destiny but little did I know it was a sign of the show jumping the shark.

CorvoSol

When they decided to shift the story from ZAFT to JesusYamatoAndFriends is when it went off the rails. I remember being really excited when Kira first showed up in Destiny but little did I know it was a sign of the show jumping the shark.

I still prefer sitting through that than watching things with Shit Asuka. I cannot in good faith name a Gundam protagonist or mecha protagonist I hate more than that guy. Hell, I don't think I can name an anime character I hate more. It's a shame, really, 'cuz the Destiny Gundam is pretty cool looking.

yami4ct

I think only a select few designs from AGE are what I would call good mech designs. Namely the AGE-2 in all white, and Woolf's mecha, the G-Bouncers or whatever. Everything else in that show is possibly the worst mech designs I've ever seen in a not CG mecha show.

Man, I do really like Part-2's and Part-3's mecha designs. Besides the hero grunts which are all terrible, I really enjoyed pretty much everything on offer. I especially dug Age-2 white and Age-2 Double Bullet, Age-3 regular, G-Bouncer and AGE-FX.

zeroshiki

I still prefer sitting through that than watching things with Shit Asuka. I cannot in good faith name a Gundam protagonist or mecha protagonist I hate more than that guy. Hell, I don't think I can name an anime character I hate more. It's a shame, really, 'cuz the Destiny Gundam is pretty cool looking.

The Destiny Gundam reveal has to be one of the most uninspiring things for the viewer ever. Everyone hated Shinn and no one wanted him to get the cool Gundam. That it had some crazy unfair weaponry on it only exacerbated the hate (they seriously revived the God finger for f'in Shinn). When Athrun (almost literally) kicks his ass, I am sure everyone cheered.

CorvoSol

The Destiny Gundam reveal has to be one of the most uninspiring things for the viewer ever. Everyone hated Shinn and no one wanted him to get the cool Gundam. That it had some crazy unfair weaponry on it only exacerbated the hate (they seriously revived the God finger for f'in Shinn). When Athrun (almost literally) kicks his ass, I am sure everyone cheered.

The best part of the entire series for me is Shinn's reaction to
the fact that Kira and Athrun are alive. After he basically jizzed his pants over killing Kira and then fucked Luna after telling her he'd killed her sister, seeing his total meltdown at realizing he'd failed each and every time, followed by Athrun kicking his ass into the dirt, really made the show work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom