• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has such a good premise, too. That's the worst part.

I don't know, the basic trapped in an MMO premise is pretty generic and could go any way. Honestly, the first episode of Sword Art Online was so dull and dry that I can't quite understand how it became so popular, even acknowledging its otaku wish fulfillment nature.

yami4ct

I don't know, the basic trapped in an MMO premise is pretty generic and could go any way. Honestly, the first episode of Sword Art Online was so dull and dry that I can't quite understand how it became so popular, even acknowledging its otaku wish fulfillment nature.

I don't think anyone has fully realized the trapped in an MMO premise. The .hack games got close, but still kind of missed it. For me, the premise remains interesting because I feel like there's something great there waiting to be made. It was clear from the beginning SAO wasn't that thing.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yes it does.

Something being bad does not automatically equate to something being boring. People watch movies that lack any narrative substance and still find it to be entertaining. Transformers or other action films are considered to be bad yet they're not boring because it's entertaining. While you might think that something that is bad is also boring, you can't discount the idea that something that is bad is automatically boring.

And yet SAO is both.

Touche. To each their own.

Then you must be talking about a show that is not Hyouka since neither of those adjectives apply.

Hyouka's first half is extremely boring. It's not until the ideas and characterizations come full circle by the show's end that it is interesting. If you think the show is interesting. Good for you. I think the show is good and interesting but remains dull for the most part, outside of the visuals.

I don't think anyone has fully realized the trapped in an MMO premise. The .hack games got close, but still kind of missed it. For me, the premise remains interesting because I feel like there's something great there waiting to be made. It was clear from the beginning SAO wasn't that thing.

I'm sure there's a manga that does it well. There are already like a billion "trapped in a place where death is involved" works in Japanese media. It's pretty much the same concept, but with a different setting.

I think Real PG counts and Bloody Junkie kind of counts. Of course both got cancelled, so maybe we'll have to wait until SAO inspires something good for anything significant.

yay! Time for my opinion to not hold any value because of a picture next to my words!

Also anyone is free to use this reject avatar that I made on a lark before using this one.

oj4baKo.png

Also curious if anyone would mind translating the source picture.

Hopefully something worth a chuckle.

Eh, if anything using the premise came out that was mind blowingly good it would be because of good execution and not really from using such a stale premise. If anything it would probably have some sort of hook on top of it to make it stand out from the crowd.

zeroshiki

Hyouka's first half is extremely boring. It's not until the ideas and characterizations come full circle by the show's end that it is interesting.

If you think the show is interesting. Good for you.

I think the show is good and interesting but remains dull for the most part, outside of the visuals.

Were you having a conversation with yourself? Or did you feel the need to present both sides of your argument in some kind of weird attempt to justify the other one?

Dresden

The whole 'trapped in a digital world' premise kinda reached its peak with 'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream,' I think.

e: this is why, clearly, everyone must jump on the Log Horizon wagon.

yami4ct

The whole 'trapped in a digital world' premise kinda reached its peak with 'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream,' I think.

e: this is why, clearly, everyone must jump on the Log Horizon wagon.

I was talking about the premise in anime, but if you open it up to fiction from all over the world, then yeah. The premise has been totally tapped by other fiction.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Were you having a conversation with yourself? Or did you feel the need to present both sides of your argument in some kind of weird attempt to justify the other one?

If a person has his own opinions that's fine by me. It's always interesting to know why that opinion is upheld. If more information is not good in this instance and you don't recognize it then that's fine by me. I'm merely explaining why I hold a certain view of Hyouka. That's all. If you feel the need to somewhat ridicule me then you're free to do so.

zeroshiki

If a person has his own opinions that's fine by me. It's always interesting to know why that opinion is upheld. If more information is not good in this instance and you don't recognize it then that's fine by me. I'm merely explaining why I hold a certain view of Hyouka. That's all. If you feel the need to somewhat ridicule me then you're free to do so.

I felt the need to ridicule you because your post developed like this: "if you think its good that's great. I think its good too but its boring and it sucks!" o_O That's not extra information, that's... a weird attempt at trying to smother the other argument by taking both sides.

Anyways, we both know your opinion on Hyouka. I thought it was interesting from the word go. You don't. Unfortunately we cannot always agree on everything.

Solune

I think .hack//Sign was much closer than the games, but it lacked any sort of action for most of its run which admittedly can be offputting. //Quantum was much more enjoyable for me and had fairly well animated scenes especially in the first OVA and doesn't overstay its welcome. If they were to take another crack at it, another tv series with a longer length to flesh out the story with solid production values like //Quantum and a more serious tone would be pretty good.

cnet128

Banned
Watch them make an entire episode about her , and still not showing her true appearance.

Blood Lad 08

Spatial wrapping action never gets old.

So you guys are just copying my impression posts now huh? =p

Flowers of Evil 2-7

My god, this is some kind of cringe masterpiece. Cringesterpiece. I've certainly never cringed harder at anything in my entire life, that's for sure. At first I couldn't really connect any of this to the director's previous work, but I realize now that, as with Mushishi, the dude is a talent at working a delicate and slow atmosphere into something strangely & subtly but powerfully affecting. The directing work here is, as in that show, basically flawless: editing and pacing are perfectly controlled until something particular must be emphasized with brilliant and inventive little flourishes that add rather than distract, and no little detail is thrown in for naught; everything works towards keeping you on edge without tipping over. (I'm particularly fond of the very clever usage of panty shots, which is not a sentence I'd ever before anticipated typing.)

When it all spills over in that beautiful final scene in episode 7, I realized just how involved I'd become in this weird series about middle school perverts thanks to a new awareness that the dynamics of the central character relationships had so stealthily changed before my eyes without my noticing, because it finally felt like such a strange release in more ways than one. Speaking of which, even considering the fantastical element of elaborate mindgames followed with such eagerness and lack of impediment, the portrayal of school life has an eerie tendency of reminding me of people I knew, in both pleasant and unpleasant ways. When I say that things are emphasized, I generally mean that a minor-seeming problem in a day in the life of a school boy becomes a personally cataclysmic event, as such things are wont to do at that age.

Truly, a transformative series. I don't even mind the damn uggo rotoscoping. Time to eat more shit.

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Theonik

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA 09
Iggy *bow*
Also that Jotaro. That was a good fight. I am guessing the Manga had them fight all of those Egyptian god stands but OVA cut them out. Don't thing I missed anything huge though.

Goku: Midnight Eye
Robo bike strippers that shoot laser beams from their mouths? Deadly robot mosquitoes? A mysterious force giving a nearly dead detective a left-eye supercomputer that can control any computer he sees?
Yep this is an 80s OVA. I had seen the second episode already thanks to Jexhius, I am glad that the first one also delivered on the crazy and I was not let down. Seriously LMAO.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA 10
Gambling episode? Gambling episode.
This was pretty great. Definitely my favourite episode at that point.
It also offered the Joseph Joestar mindgame action the show was missing. Don't understand chocolate though, how does that work, if anything it should have had the opposite effect. It also proved that Jotaro though he doesn't look it can be as clever as his grandfather though, unlike young Joseph he's a lot more seemingly cool. I lost it when
JoJo bet his own mother's soul. I also wonder what happened when the rest of the souls he'd collected got released. I presume they are going to wake up? But I'd guess a lot of them might have been thought dead for quite some time.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA 11
lol Vanilla Ice.
Avdul! Iggy! Noooooo
That was some good stuff. *manly tears*

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA 12
Kayoin noooo
That sakuga on the Emerald Splash car scene was pretty great. Some very impressive depth. I think Satoshi Kon served as assistant director for this episode, he probably also did character designs. The senator looked very Kon to me. Speaking of that senator LMAO at this whole scene. Dio is pretty great.
(also I crack up every time I hear him say "I, Dio")

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA 13 Zi Endo
That was. That was just... Wow. This fight. Amazing. Based Kon. Hadn't seen any serious battle stuff directed by him still. I actually watched this episode twice almost back to back once in Japanese and once in English. So gooooood. Road Roller > Oil Tanker for sure though and that line in general flows better in the Japanese version, Coolness aside I think the main thing that doesn't sell Oil Tanker is also the line delivery. "ROAD RORRA DA" sounds cooler than "OIR TANKA DA" English version was surprisingly competent other than that. Well Dio that is. Jotaro was kinda bad in English.
Probably gonna watch this a third time tomorrow.
Polnareff is a bro. He was comic relief mostly in the OVA so I wonder if he did much more in the manga, though of course the OVA didn't completely drown his style.

That was good, China delivers.

Still think it should be styled "Mad-P"
Or at lease MadP

The media player/codec war is over. Trigger uses the VLC player.
Yet VLC even has trouble playing .ogm

koikishi pure kiss the animation 1
You have my attention.

Flowers of Evil 2-7

(I'm particularly fond of the very clever usage of panty shots, which is not a sentence I'd ever before anticipated typing.)

There were panty shots? Somehow I overlooked or forgot them.

When I say that things are emphasized, I generally mean that a minor-seeming problem in a day in the life of a school boy becomes a personally cataclysmic event, as such things are wont to do at that age.

That's the heart of adolescence: every moment defines the rest of your life.

This is some praise. I'm intrigued now.

Should've been intrigued before!

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA 09
Iggy *bow*
Also that Jotaro. That was a good fight. I am guessing the Manga had them fight all of those Egyptian god stands but OVA cut them out. Don't thing I missed anything huge though.

The OVAs cut out A LOT from the manga, including some of the best fights in the franchise. In terms of overarching plot, true, you didn't miss much, but that's because Part 3 is essentially a boss rush as it is with virtually all character development coming from those fights that the OVAs skipped.

Westlo

Destiny, for all its warts, has some really good moments in the first two thirds of the series. It's not necessarily a good show, but it's certainly not worthy of being mentioned alongside those stinkers.

Destiny feels more like a show of missed potential. It was a flawed show up to a point, and then went completely off the rails in the final 13 episodes, but there's still far more of merit there than in something like Age or AO.

Destiny had massive entertainment value in discussing it on forums while it aired (like Geass+R2), it's just not the same without that factor.... It was hilarious trolling Shinn fans about how Kira was going to replace him as the MC, and than it actually happened lmao.

The Destiny Gundam reveal has to be one of the most uninspiring things for the viewer ever. Everyone hated Shinn and no one wanted him to get the cool Gundam. That it had some crazy unfair weaponry on it only exacerbated the hate (they seriously revived the God finger for f'in Shinn). When Athrun (almost literally) kicks his ass, I am sure everyone cheered.

Destiny Gundam was fucking awesome, shame Shinn was the pilot but that aside it fucking delivered. Also dat theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdGZwSmH3_M

Theonik

The OVAs cut out A LOT from the manga, including some of the best fights in the franchise. In terms of overarching plot, true, you didn't miss much, but that's because Part 3 is essentially a boss rush as it is with virtually all character development coming from those fights that the OVAs skipped.
Yeah, I plan to read the manga soon enough.
I just heard there is a retranslation in process so I'm waiting on that.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA 12
Kayoin noooo
That sakuga on the Emerald Splash car scene was pretty great. Some very impressive depth. I think Satoshi Kon served as assistant director for this episode, he probably also did character designs. The senator looked very Kon to me. Speaking of that senator LMAO at this whole scene. Dio is pretty great.
(also I crack up every time I hear him say "I, Dio")

Satoshi Kon wrote, storyboarded, and directed this episode. I don't believe he was involved in character designs.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA 13 Zi Endo
That was. That was just... Wow. This fight. Amazing. Based Kon. Hadn't seen any serious battle stuff directed by him still. I actually watched this episode twice almost back to back once in Japanese and once in English. So gooooood. Road Roller > Oil Tanker for sure though and that line in general flows better in the Japanese version, Coolness aside I think the main thing that doesn't sell Oil Tanker is also the line delivery. "ROAD RORRA DA" sounds cooler than "OIR TANKA DA" English version was surprisingly competent other than that. Well Dio that is. Jotaro was kinda bad in English.
Probably gonna watch this a third time tomorrow.
Polnareff is a bro. He was comic relief mostly in the OVA so I wonder if he did much more in the manga, though of course the OVA didn't completely drown his style.

Kon did not direct this episode; Hiroyuki Kitakubo, the overall director of the OVAs, did.

Theonik

Part 3 is readable, the DUWANG doesn't happen until Part 4 (and the re-translation for that is nearly done, iirc).
I shall wait until Part 6 is done before starting I think. This is going to be a while.

Satoshi Kon wrote, storyboarded, and directed this episode. I don't believe he was involved in character designs.
That's what I originally thought. Which is why I I was surprised at how that character gave me that vibe.

Kon did not direct this episode; Hiroyuki Kitakubo, the overall director of the OVAs, did.
I stand corrected, I recalled people were saying he was involved as assistant director on the 6th episode too. Though he is still credited for some stuff on 6.
In this case I'll concede that I'll probably not see a proper fight scene by Kon.

Kazzy

[Free] 6-7

Wow, talk about a mood whiplash! It was really jarring to see the contrast between the opening of episode 6, where the drama was high - only to then have it quickly descend into haunted house hijinks. I struggle grasp at what actually happened in this episode though. Beyond the brief revelations, it was largely uneventful.

7 was much better, and just goes to show that this show can still be good, it just needs that impetus to push it along. Removed from the actual competition aspect, I don't find the characters, nor their central conflict, to be all that interesting. The way it's presented, and the way the characters react towards each other, it's way too self-serious to buy that Haruka/Rin rivalry as a narrative conceit. It's really quite ridiculous how hokey it comes across at times.

Still, masterful troll by Rin.
"I win. Bye!"

Shergal

Uchouten Kazoku 8
An episode like this shouldn't normally work for me, but it does so much here ;__;

The
train ride through the city
was the best part, keeping with the whimsical, dreamy tone of most of the best parts of the show.
The dinner scene as well

Theonik

Cardcaptor Sakura 35
Fire card looked boss. Shame for (her?) that Sakura is completely broken at this point.
Some very nice animation this episode too.
Kerberos 50% complete.
Time for the movie.

wonzo

Banned
Aikatsu! 35-37

aikatsu35.jpg

My single biggest issue with this Trystar arc has to be the cult of personality surrounding Mizuki. For a character that's supposed to be the biggest name in the idol business she sure is the dullest, most uninteresting and uncharismatic character in the entire series. Hell, there are side-characters that have been given a single episode that are far more fleshed out and interesting than she is. It's either just terrible writing or (what I think is) one of the smartest and most subversive critiques of IDOL CULTURE I've ever seen.

Either way,
I'm glad Ran dropped out of that dull pile and joined up with Aoi Ichigo again so I won't have to care about that shit again for a while.
Hopefully the three other's get an idol group of their own as the show needs way more of them.

also i still cant get over just how FABULOUS and SAKUGA the OP is

ibl6XStTGf4eWH.gif

soooooooooooogooooooooooooooooooood

It still takes me a moment to remember that the guy's name is Poppo, not Ponpo.
we'll never forget the kaomoji we saw that day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom