• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kino's Journey 10

This whole episode was incredibly unsettling. And I think that's thanks in no small part to intelligent writing.
It was like they were familiar with the stereotypes, and expectations normally associated with robot tropes and they used that to intentionally mislead the audience. Either that or I'm just stupid, but I believed the old woman was the robot, what with her very subservient and prim demeanor, as well as her sense of kinship towards Hermes. I started playing with the possibility that she would try to murder Kino like a Terminator. I thought the family she served was living in fear because of the way they disposed of their food, as if they were avoiding the consumption of poison. I also assumed they were robots as well since they didn't eat food, moved as a unit, were devoid of personality, and described a livelihood that didn't coincide with the local geography. Perhaps they were in league with the old woman and would try to kill Kino. Maybe even turn her into a machine as well. So imagine my surprise when I find out that the old woman wasn't a robot. The writers were smart about it too. I thought I was intelligently using context clues to deduce she was a robot in the beginning, when in fact they were intentionally placed there by the writers to throw me off the scent. But the music (or lack thereof) really contributed to that unsettling feeling. It was silent most of the episode, save for ambient noises.
I've got to commend them on this episode. It's so incredible that each episode is so brilliant, but for different reasons. That's real talent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura: MORE AGGRESSIVE
YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah, first off, my idoru SatoJun is definitely back:
RJ3MVAHl.jpg

Dat ED.

LVmcd8tl.jpg

TtMLuWBl.jpg

Dat match cut.

aqmYcDol.jpg

Dat mascot.

Like Aria, it's just like slipping back into a world that I haven't really forgotten with characters that I have affection for. It's not a show that requires much intellectual energy, but it gives me such a positive emotional response that I can't help but like every moment of the show - even if it's SatoJun being SatoJun.

I will say, he did something a bit weird for the new character introductions:
qXnbvZJl.jpg

Qnbwpeol.jpg

We get to see them in the episode, but it's just an interesting way to just introduce these girls.

This will probably end up being my unconditional show of the season. Few people will watch it, but those who do will walk away with the warm fuzzies.

Ojamajo Doremi # - 06

Can we throw the SOS trio under a bus? They made Kimura do it again.
Onpu-chan having enough insight to infer that there are sometimes when you don't need magic to resolve problems.
Stop explaining the flower language to me, I watched HeartCatch I'm the master of the flower language...
No I'm not, so daisy is truth, tomorrow I'll have forgotten this
. =)

Golden Boy 2

In a game between man vs woman, Man won.

On that note, the dub... the dub... holy shit. Holy shit, it adds a whole new layer of humor. Oh my god. Oh my gooooooooooood. This further elevates it to one of the greatest things ever witnessed in my 22 years.

A chess battle between a cunning daughter who is extremely lewd, lost to a perverted part timer who can see through the wiles of women, guess it makes sense when you continuously taunt him with such teasing... like not wearing underwear.

He even got digits and panties after all of his hard work. Kintaro, continue to shine

Azazel-san Z end

See, THIS is how you introduce something that shakes the structure of the series and then bring it back to the status quo without feeling cheap.

I honestly liked this season more than the first one. Didn't really see the complaints at all. Still amazed that an arc revolved around a giant schlong doing crazy things.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Golden Boy 2

On that note, the dub... the dub... holy shit. Holy shit, it adds a whole new layer of humor. Oh my god. Oh my gooooooooooood. This further elevates it to one of the greatest things ever witnessed in my 22 years.

A chess battle between a cunning daughter who is extremely lewd, lost to a perverted part timer who can see through the wiles of women, guess it makes sense when you continuously taunt him with such teasing... like not wearing underwear.

He even got digits and panties after all of his hard work. Kintaro, continue to shine

See? What did we tell you? :)

Dresden

Free! - 01

Better than I expected. Shameless, but amusing enough to offset it.

I wonder if they're going to emphasize the sporting aspect of the setting, which they should, because bromances burn most brightly in the fires of competition. Preview seems to indicate the cast expanding further and here's to the hope that they won't settle for just the usual fanservice shenanigans.

There's a weird, blurry feel to the lighting that reminds me of J.C. Staff shows (and Chuu2), but it's a pretty good looking production otherwise. Still not in love with the designs, though - they look like someone handed Nishiya a bunch of Kuroko no Basuke art and told him to produce something similar, but with more contusions.

Just telling it like it is, brother. Haru and Rin share an unbreakable bond that will just result in them making sweet passionate love after the season's end. The others are straight.

I don't know. Makoto walked in on his friend taking a bath and then was disappointed he was wearing a swimsuit.

zeroshiki

Most fujoshi show actually have one/few women in the middle of those bishie, Kyoani's evil intention right there.

But they don't get much focus or attention in those shows. I mean, I'm thinking Prince of Tennis and Slam Dunk here and the women in those were little more than decoration.

But they don't get much focus or attention in those shows. I mean, I'm thinking Prince of Tennis and Slam Dunk here and the women in those were little more than decoration.

There were several great female characters in Prince of Tennis, including the coach of the team who got plenty of screen time.

Certainly the balance of gender was heavily slanted towards the men, but Coach Ryuuzaki, Sakuno, An, and Tomoka all got plenty of screen time and personality. I don't think it's fair to call them 'decoration'.

zeroshiki

You need to watch Utapri. or even Kuroko.

So there's gonna be a Rin x Haru x Makoto x Gou love square? I'm in for that.

There were several great female characters in Prince of Tennis, including the coach of the team who got plenty of screen time.

Certainly the balance of gender was heavily slanted towards the men, but Coach Ryuuzaki, Sakuno, An, and Tomoka all got plenty of screen time and personality. I don't think it's fair to call them 'decoration'.

The coach I'll give you but Sakuno and that other girl who just shouts "Ryouma-sama" over and over is not my idea of a fleshed out character given attention.

Ojamajo Doremi # - 07

Baby exams
, is the new witch test.
Octopus x Squid is back
and they have a baby
New merchandise get,
now they can talk all day on their super modern phones and forget to take care of Hana-chan, which I noticed that she just want to watch the world burn

I don't know. Makoto walked in on his friend taking a bath and then was disappointed he was wearing a swimsuit.

I remember seeing that scene and wondering why he seemed disappointed. Firstly he walks in his bathroom and just looks in his tub nonchalantly, and then is disappointed that he's in a swimsuit. We might end up with a HarukaXMakoto if Rin doesn't work out.

cajunator

Banned
I thought we decided not to troll with School Days anymore?

Of course not!

Might just make a list for a thread tomorrow. If I'm not feeling too lazy. Gunsmith Cats and Heroman are the only things that are screaming "FREEDOM" to me so far.

Gunsmith Cats is totally one of those buddy cop rated r movie type of shows.

I watched the first two episodes of the first precue the other day because you're always talking about it in the IRC.
I like the black cure.

Edit: Meant white cure, Honoka. The one with the eyebrows. Not sure why I assumed they were reversed despite the outfits.

Honoka is best cure for sure. You got it right.

[Futari wa Precure] 23

This was as uneventful as mid-season confrontations go, but that battle with Ilkubo near the end of the episode drives Toei's cheapness deep into my heart. It's a shame most of the fights devolve into MARBLE SCREW BEAMSPAM, because Toei can do some interesting stuff when they actually care. :/

Marble screw is way overused in Futari wa. Gets a bit better later on.

You're almost there. He's waiting.

Porun is the cutest little cockblocker. You guys just cant appreciate him.

Oh and Kirbyguy: Watch the dub of Golden Boy. Please.

Yes. DUB ONLY. THIS IS ESSENTIAL.

The coach I'll give you but Sakuno and that other girl who just shouts "Ryouma-sama" over and over is not my idea of a fleshed out character given attention.

Sakuno gets a pretty decent arc over the course of the series, and her relationship with Ryoma is at least fleshed out somewhat. She clearly grows quite a bit in terms of her usefulness, even if she's never really the focal point of the plot.

Tomoka, I'll grant you is pretty one dimensional for most the anime (although she's hilarious). The Chinese drama actually redeems her character and makes her incredibly useful and analytical.

An still trumps all of them.

Golden Boy 3

This episode tried to get lewd, but Kintaro ain't having that.

Today's job, Noodle shop vs Slimy Business Man.

The faces are so gooooood, and it really combines well with the extremely goofy dubbed nature of this show. It's rather amazing that Kintaro acts like one major idiot, to the point that he fucks up with a woman, but then does something that turns around their opinion and get their panties wet for them. Manliest dude riding a bike around Japan.

But back to it, he willingly got beaten up by him, and gave a moment of DTL
I would've loved if Kintaro revealed it was him that he kissed and did sexy time with.
but it must've worked since Slimy dude was caught in the act.

I love it when Kintaro has a serious look on his face, it just gives him extra points in being the greatest thing.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Golden Boy 3

This episode tried to get lewd, but Kintaro ain't having that.

Today's job, Noodle shop vs Slimy Business Man.

The faces are so gooooood, and it really combines well with the extremely goofy dubbed nature of this show. It's rather amazing that Kintaro acts like one major idiot, to the point that he fucks up with a woman, but then does something that turns around their opinion and get their panties wet for them. Manliest dude riding a bike around Japan.

But back to it, he willingly got beaten up by him, and gave a moment of DTL
I would've loved if Kintaro revealed it was him that he kissed and did sexy time with.
but it must've worked since Slimy dude was caught in the act.

I love it when Kintaro has a serious look on his face, it just gives him extra points in being the greatest thing.

Oh you want lewd? The next couple episodes...just watch...

Articalys

Tomorrow's major industry panels for Anime Expo (where we should expect to see the biggest announcements): NISA, Sentai, and Aniplex. Watch them livestreaming courtesy of aquastar831 at the following times (all PDT):

NISA -- 2:30pm
Sentai -- 4:00pm
Aniplex -- 5:15pm

Get ready.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Free! 01:

I feel pretty ambivalent about this. I was hoping that the premise and promotional material would belie the show being legitimately good with thoughtful, multi-dimensional characters or, failing that, be at the other extreme and be so in-your-face with shameless manservice and homoerotic pandering that I could derive enjoyment from the audacity. Instead, it's.......just okay?

It feels like Kyoani is trying "just hard enough" with this, and most bothersome about this is that, I think, it's visually indistinctive. The backgrounds and color palette feel like they were pulled out of Chooney and don't really work in tandem with the other aesthetic and narrative elements of the show to produce a unique atmosphere, and the character designs are tired visual extensions of the characters' respective personality archetypes down to the convenient color-coding. Surprise, surprise; the yellow-haired one is genki and the red-haired one is aggressive.

Furthermore, there's nothing particularly compelling about the characters yet and Nagisa is downright insufferable. The fact that these characters are foremost delivery vehicles for fanservice shouldn't preclude them from still being used in ways that make them sympathetic or endearing. I suppose that in this kind of show, who the individual characters are is less important than how they play off of each other. I'll reserve judgment on whether or not they're stifled by their own archetypical qualities until the exposition is out of the way and we see if Kyoani wants to make this K-On! with dudes or if they're aiming lower. Gou's presence gives me some hope that there will at least be some variation in the kinds of interaction.

All of that said, I still didn't dislike it. Moments like the apron and bath scenes are fun little nods of self-awareness conveying that Kyoani knows exactly what they're doing, and even if I'm disinterested in the characters for now, at the very least they're not simply pieces of meat. I trust for now that Kyoani is not simply trying to cheaply impart fake depth to shallow characters in a tawdry work with this episode's emphasis on backstory, rather it being a sign that each character will at least be handled in a satisfactory manner by the end. If Free! wants to be, it can be as much a story about friendship, coming-of-age, or the connection between past and present as it is UPPER BODY. The potential is there and I hope I'm surprised, even if it is incredibly easy to be cynical about the purpose of this show's existence.

Golden Boy 2

Awwwww shiiiiit!

GREATEST WORDS FROM AN ANIME DUB!

Psycho Pass

Wow how did this show pass under my radar? Loving it so far. About 8 episodes into the series.

Lots of animes ended this and last week sadly.

No more Gargantia, Devil Survivor, Oreimo, and others that I don't watch.

Summer anime please hurry and save me!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Best western anime was Ladybug until.............

.........fuck, I can't talk about it. My heart will never heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom