• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy America Day!

I remember when I first looked up the synopsis for Eden of the East on Netflix it made it seem like it was going to be an anime political thriller set in the United States, in the vein of the Bourne series, Tom Clancy novels, and all those movies starring Tom Cruise.

Boy was I disappointed.

So Aku no Hana has whetted my appetite for dark, atmospheric anime. I have an idea of what I'd like to watch in that regard, but I thought I'd put out a general call to see if there's anything I would have overlooked. So, AnimeGAF, what are your favorite dark, moody anime?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wounds were just reopened

/XX/ in his benevolent nature of encouraging the dispirited is probably going to come in here with a quote that he found buried deep in the French internet on Catsuka or wherever that will supposedly provide some little glimmer of hope, but it's not going to be okay. It's never going to be okay :(

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So Aku no Hana has whetted my appetite for dark, atmospheric anime. I have an idea of what I'd like to watch in that regard, but I thought I'd put out a general call to see if there's anything I would have overlooked. So, AnimeGAF, what are your favorite dark, moody anime?

Hmm...does Ergo Proxy count?

I wish Ikigami got an anime (yeah I know live action movie exists)

Thoraxes

Have you seen Texhnolyze yet? It's basically my mission to get people to watch it because it's wonderful.

Nudull

Banned

Android Kikaider: The Animation's one of mine, if that counts. I'm rewatching it now, actually. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare

The first three episodes of Sankarea. Just interpret the end of episode three as
a suicide

jgminto

one true pairings:

FfYVmAF.jpg
rqoImTt.jpg

I'm okay with this. Both are super cute.

Evangelion
Death Note
Ergo Proxy
Paranoia Agent

Golden Boy 4

THE MAIN REASON I GOT INTO THIS! SWIMMING! THE DUB MAKES IT EVEN BETTER!

I'm trying to figure out who to compare his voice to but I don't know. "How do you like my swimming" just sounded so right! He sounds like a complete fucking dork, and yet it just adds so much! I don't know if this is bad dubbing or just perfect.

Also good looking short hair woman approaching, whoo whooo! And he challenged her to racing in a month.
And he got too horny, swimming straight into her crotch which lead to showing his boner to her.

Such lewd swim suits in front of kids. I was bothered a bit at how one of the suggestions to getting a kid's head under water was to force his had into the fucking water. What an asshole! And doing it with such a smile and attitude too!

Kintaro's manliness continues to spread to other women, he'd easily be able to demand to give all the women to Japan to him without much repercussion. That's more than I can say about Takamaru and Bryan Hawk.

Crocodile

If your only experience with Sailor Moon is the dub, then it would be worth trying out the actual show sometime.

I probably should though I kind of like the faint memories I have of it. I'm confident the "actual" show is better but I'm certainly more discerning now than I was in the past. Then again, this is THE (or at least one of) the archetypical shows of its genre for a reason. Is it legally streaming somewhere or am I going to have to hunt down obscure DVDs (to my understanding its not licensed in the US, or at least not any more).

A shame that was never made into a show. I get the feeling I would have liked it a lot 10 years ago.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I probably should though I kind of like the faint memories I have of it. I'm confident the "actual" show is better but I'm certainly more discerning now than I was in the past. Then again, this is THE (or at least one of) the archetypical shows of its genre for a reason. Is it legally streaming somewhere or am I going to have to hunt down obscure DVDs (to my understanding its not licensed in the US, or at least not any more).
The anime holds up far better than you'd think. In fact, you'd probably appreciate it much more now as its sense of style and comedy are what shines rather than the action scenes that may have drawn your attention when you were younger. After all, it was helmed by Junichi Satou and Kunihiko Ikuhara.

Golden Boy 5

A two parter (not really), and so damn lewd! Oh god. Masturbating using motorcycles, oh mah gaw

Of course Kintaro can't learn to be elegant. That's not his style.

SURPRISE KIMONO GIRL IS THE SAME AS MASTURBATING MOTORCYCLE GIRL AND SHE CHALLENGES YOU TO A RACE FOR A CHANCE TO FUCK, and you're using a bike. I think it's time to do the impossible, see the invisible.

How will things end! WE HAVE ONE MORE EXCITING EPISODE LEFT

Nudull

Banned
The anime holds up far better than you'd think. In fact, you'd probably appreciate it much more now as its sense of style and comedy are what shines rather than the action scenes that may have drawn your attention when you were younger. After all, it was helmed by Junichi Satou and Kunihiko Ikuhara.

I'm somewhat tempted to revisit the anime, myself. I've been reading through the manga volumes and enjoying them a lot, so far.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm somewhat tempted to revisit the anime, myself. I've been reading through the manga volumes and enjoying them a lot, so far.
The manga, anime, and live action show are all completely different. None spoils the others.

That's why it's fun to go through them all!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Golden Boy 5

A two parter (not really), and so damn lewd! Oh god. Masturbating using motorcycles, oh mah gaw

Of course Kintaro can't learn to be elegant. That's not his style.

SURPRISE KIMONO GIRL IS THE SAME AS MASTURBATING MOTORCYCLE GIRL AND SHE CHALLENGES YOU TO A RACE FOR A CHANCE TO FUCK, and you're using a bike. I think it's time to do the impossible, see the invisible.

How will things end! WE HAVE ONE MORE EXCITING EPISODE LEFT

The ending ep is something really special you'll love it!

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 10

This whole episode was incredibly unsettling. And I think that's thanks in no small part to intelligent writing.
It was like they were familiar with the stereotypes, and expectations normally associated with robot tropes and they used that to intentionally mislead the audience. Either that or I'm just stupid, but I believed the old woman was the robot, what with her very subservient and prim demeanor, as well as her sense of kinship towards Hermes. I started playing with the possibility that she would try to murder Kino like a Terminator. I thought the family she served was living in fear because of the way they disposed of their food, as if they were avoiding the consumption of poison. I also assumed they were robots as well since they didn't eat food, moved as a unit, were devoid of personality, and described a livelihood that didn't coincide with the local geography. Perhaps they were in league with the old woman and would try to kill Kino. Maybe even turn her into a machine as well. So imagine my surprise when I find out that the old woman wasn't a robot. The writers were smart about it too. I thought I was intelligently using context clues to deduce she was a robot in the beginning, when in fact they were intentionally placed there by the writers to throw me off the scent. But the music (or lack thereof) really contributed to that unsettling feeling. It was silent most of the episode, save for ambient noises.
I've got to commend them on this episode. It's so incredible that each episode is so brilliant, but for different reasons. That's real talent.

Another fantastic episode. But every single one is. Right to the very end.

Golden Boy 2

In a game between man vs woman, Man won.

On that note, the dub... the dub... holy shit. Holy shit, it adds a whole new layer of humor. Oh my god. Oh my gooooooooooood. This further elevates it to one of the greatest things ever witnessed in my 22 years.

A chess battle between a cunning daughter who is extremely lewd, lost to a perverted part timer who can see through the wiles of women, guess it makes sense when you continuously taunt him with such teasing... like not wearing underwear.

He even got digits and panties after all of his hard work. Kintaro, continue to shine

Kintaro is THE ladies man. The shit he gets away with (or into) is legendary.

Free! had too much focus on the girl. She's pretty cute too!

Bomba confirmed.

Yay cute!

cnet128

Banned
I watched the first two episodes of the first precue the other day because you're always talking about it in the IRC.
I like the black cure.

Edit: Meant white cure, Honoka. The one with the eyebrows. Not sure why I assumed they were reversed despite the outfits.

And for a moment there I thought you made the correct choice.

Nagisa is best, no counterarguments accepted.

for all my swooning over Nagisa throughout Futari wa and Max Heart, I think I actually love Saki more at this point. Splash Star, why are you so awesome?!

It only hurts for a little while-popo.

Porun is best mascot. Hating on Porun is forbidden.

And we all know Haruka's true love is
water just like Chihaya's true love is Karuta.

Well, he did have a lewd handholding scene with
water-chan
in the very first episode. I guess the writing is on the wall with that one.

Thoraxes

Sk1wp9R.jpg

Haven't seen it yet, but I do own it. I'm pretty sure it's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.

It should be straight up your alley based on your criteria. Have fun with it!

Make sure that what you have contains 22 episodes. The TV release only had 20 episodes and they included two "secret" last episodes with the DVD release which add a lot to the ending. (I'd assume what you have probably has all 22, but I just want you to be aware of it just in case you don't!)

You may even follow the handy chart too!

Golden Boy 6 END

WOW, WHAT AN ENDING! WITH ALL THE WOMEN FROM THE PREVIOUS EPISODES (even politician's little girl's friend is here) to pitch together for one spectacular finale. Kintaro shows that he knows his boobs rather well to another animator.

Kintaro is so loud, there are times I wonder how in the hell he gets away with some of the things he said. To top it all off, he didn't piss a woman off (who will become one of his harem members). His antics at the toilets never cease to amaze me, and I'm surprised little happens in regards to his toilet habits. Hell, the things he gets away with is amazing.

What the hell have I been missing in my life? I've seen this recommended every now and again, and yet I didn't take it until now, and quite frankly, I'm glad I did. A short burst anime filled with laughs, boobs, and women, as well as EDUCATION! The greatest educational anime to be given to us. I also liked the animation.

It's like the last horse crossed the finish line on this anime, but at least we can say all of them have crossed it now. I am in a promise land. A Golden Era. A Golden Boy.

And for a moment there I thought you made the correct choice.

Nagisa is best, no counterarguments accepted.

for all my swooning over Nagisa throughout Futari wa and Max Heart, I think I actually love Saki more at this point. Splash Star, why are you so awesome?!

Hmm, I take Tsubomi, even if she's not my avatar. She's just utterly adorable to the point that I'd form a cup with my hands... and just place her head there and die from squeeing.

Nudull

Banned
Yeah, it's too bad.
HQB88fs.png

Oh! Well, I feel silly now. Still, thanks. :)

The manga, anime, and live action show are all completely different. None spoils the others.

That's why it's fun to go through them all!

The live-action show always seemed weird to me when I was little, but looking back now, it doesn't seem so bad. I should marathon them both, sometime!

Ooh, I hadn't heard of this before but it looks pretty interesting. Thanks.

You're very much welcome! It's a pretty nice series overall, IMO, despite being rough in some places.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Golden Boy 6 END

WOW, WHAT AN ENDING! WITH ALL THE WOMEN FROM THE PREVIOUS EPISODES (even politician's little girl's friend is here) to pitch together for one spectacular finale. Kintaro shows that he knows his boobs rather well to another animator.

Kintaro is so loud, there are times I wonder how in the hell he gets away with some of the things he said. To top it all off, he didn't piss a woman off (who will become one of his harem members). His antics at the toilets never cease to amaze me, and I'm surprised little happens in regards to his toilet habits. Hell, the things he gets away with is amazing.

What the hell have I been missing in my life? I've seen this recommended every now and again, and yet I didn't take it until now, and quite frankly, I'm glad I did. A short burst anime filled with laughs, boobs, and women, as well as EDUCATION! The greatest educational anime to be given to us. I also liked the animation.

It's like the last horse crossed the finish line on this anime, but at least we can say all of them have crossed it now. I am in a promise land. A Golden Era. A Golden Boy.

Aww yeah! Golden boy is one of the few I rewatch because of how stort and utterly hilarious it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom