• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I don't know how good its gonna be though. Nakamura made good and bad shows, this could swing either way.

Yeah, hopefully it's not going to be like [C]. I think Nakamura's shows are best when they deal with the characters and their personality defects and how it relates to society. He does it really well even when the story is fantastical and crazy. I really hope there isn't that much actual action in the show, because that's his weakest point.

Blood Lad Episode 1 - She’s a Skeleton Now
tumblr_mpkt8cmpzl1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

Vivid for the OP from May'n had nice stuff in it, I guess it will go beyond volume 4 at least (though this ep covered 2chps). Wonder how theyll do it in just ten episodes. Regardless, looked pretty nice with the color scheme used. All those random references in the manga, figures, cell phone charm, games, music, etc.

Staz sounds amazing, Yoshida too, and the onscreen words for several motions and commentary. Its such a fun start.
I loved the plant fight thing and his attack
. Good start.

I have a lot of things I don't like about Toriko but Toriko's new OP is so good I might just have to watch it. If their's one way to get me interested in an anime is a good OP song, or animation.

EDIT: Blood Lad is out! I need to immediately watch this.

faridmon

Yeah, hopefully it's not going to be like [C]. I think Nakamura's shows are best when they deal with the characters and their personality defects and how it relates to society. He does it really well even when the story is fantastical and crazy. I really hope there isn't that much actual action in the show, because that's his weakest point.

Well said. The thing is, when his direction becomes bad, they are abhorrently bad. [C] might be the worst show I have ever seen. But as you said, it depends on what his focus is.

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Iliya 1 - Yes, it's started! The first episode was, for the most part, quite good. First I want to cover the one negative about this show, because the rest of my impressions are positive. The episode did have loli fanservice, unfortunately, as expected, but at least there was censor steam and it didn't go too overboard... but still, Iliya was naked for I don't know how long, several minutes minimum (extended scene in the bath, when she first meets Ruby...). And this Iliya really IS as young as she appears, unlike the one from Fate/Stay Night. If you can tolerate (or actually like) this somewhat creepy element of the series, though, there's sure to be a pretty good show here otherwise, and it could be a lot worse (as some other animes are); it's just somewhat-obscured nudity and some incest-fan-baiting, pretty much. This episode certainly was good, that aside. The battle scene between Rin and Luvia was great. Great battle-music score, good beam-spam, and more! It's also quite entertaining seeing Rin and Luvia insult eachother so much. This Rin's great. It's good stuff. :)

Anyway, Fate/Kaleid is the "happier" Fate/Stay Night spinoff series. It's a manga adaptation, and stars an alternate-universe version of Iliya who isn't all messed up
and isn't doomed as the F/SN one was; this is why she actually is the age she looks, here
, has two living parents, and lives with some guardians and Shirou (since their parents are often away). She likes Shirou, of course, since this is stupid anime and garbage incest plots are required (and she did in F/SN too), but doesn't want to do anything about it in this version, since she's actually a sane human being here.
Basically, this is a version where the Holy Grail War seen in Fate/Stay Night never happened, for reasons not entirely explained. Some fans have made guesses about why it was averted, but it's definitely gone. Irisviel and Kiritsugu are a couple, and are, as I said earlier, are Shirou and Iliya's parents. Kiritsugu does not appear in the manga, so far at least, but Irisviel has a few (quite entertaining) appearances.
Also, in Fate/Kaleid, the various classes, who in F/SN were living summons, instead are cards. So, there's a Berserker card, an Archer card, etc. They can give people who use them stronger powers.

vlcsnap-2013-07-07-04g3smr.jpg

Stella, one of the maids/housekeepers, is annoyed that Iliya likes anime (she's now "one of the rabble"!), and that Shirou does all the housework, leaving her little to do.
As for Shirou, yes, he is in this series, but he's definitely not the main character. This Shirou's a nice guy,
and the girls all like him, I think, but that is a VERY minor point here.
If this continues to be like the manga, Shirou won't appear very often. He has no special powers in this universe; all he's got is housekeeping skills, I think. He's good at that at least, though. :p

vlcsnap-2013-07-07-040wsde.jpg

I like how Rin's eye appears here. She looks quite annoyed. :)
vlcsnap-2013-07-07-04cnsf9.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-07-07-044osf1.jpg

Rin and Luvia get along great!
Instead, the other main characters, along with Iliya, are Miyu (who is not introduced yet, but is seen in the OP and ED), Luvia, and Rin. Rin of course everyone knows. She's not tsundere this time, but she's still a great character. Luvia, her counterpart, is a very rich British girl with blonde princess drill hair. Her character pretty much fits the stereotype that design implies, though with Rin as her main target. Luvia and Rin are in Japan, sent here from the magic school in England that they're both attending.
Rin comments early on that she's been away from Japan for a year. Of course though, none of the Holy Grail War stuff happened in this universe, remember, so if she knows Shirou, it would only be from school, from before she left for England.
They're here to collect the class cards, which have gotten loose in the city. Now if only they could have actually focus on those cards, instead of fighting eachother all the time instead... but no.

So, the plot if this episode is about Rin and Luvia, and how their ... minor disagreements ... ( :lol :lol ) lead Ruby and Sapphire, their magical-girl power sticks, to
abandon them. This leads to Iliya becoming the character whose name is in the title of the series.

vlcsnap-2013-07-07-056ysfg.jpg

Ruby trolling Rin hard. They both have some fault in this. I love how one of Ruby's wings is bending, it makes the troll even more noticeable.
Yeah, Ruby and Sapphire are pretty big trolls, but when those "teammates" can do nothing but fight, it's hard to blame them... but dragging in this random "normal" girl wasn't very nice, Ruby.
After initial skepticism and distrust, Iliya gets conscripted by Ruby, after a moment of weakness based on "you can have love powers too" and Iliya's stupid garbage anime writing incest real-but-she-doesn't-want-to-act-on-it feelings for Shirou. The scene is kind of amusing, in some ways (that is, in how hard Ruby is trying to convince Iliya to become a magical girl... some of it's funny stuff.), but Japan's incest obsession is incredibly stupid and it's hard to forget that that's central to the scene (and I already said how this entire scene happens in the bath.). On another note though, of course it turns out that Iliya isn't normal at all, which makes me wonder if it was really so random... but who knows.

So, now Iliya is a magical girl. Congratulations! But despite being strong, she doesn't have much fighting skill yet. Rin has a lot of work to do training her before this new conscript is ready for battle getting those cards... so yeah, overall, for the most part this was a good start to the series. It has some bad elements, but also some good ones, and the good ones were more significant than the bad, I think.

Finally...
vlcsnap-2013-07-07-0519sd7.jpg

If Ruby is a lolicon, that would explain a lot.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Blood Lad 01

It's exactly what I expected, which is a good thing. Seems to be following the manga exactly... for now.

Danganronpa 01

Decided to watch this one after the game's localization announcement and came away decently impressed. Seems like a mix of VLR and other death games coupled with a strong voice cast. Will continue to watch for now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Funny that a Nakamura anime would be one of the only kinds where the Win8 Metro color scheme would actually look appropriate.

cnet128

Banned
Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Iliya 1

The episode did have loli fanservice, unfortunately, as expected, but at least there was censor steam and it didn't go too overboard... but still, Iliya was naked for I don't know how long, several minutes minimum (extended scene in the bath, when she first meets Ruby...). And this Iliya really IS as young as she appears, unlike the one from Fate/Stay Night. If you can tolerate (or actually like) this somewhat creepy element of the series, though, there's sure to be a pretty good show here otherwise

vlcsnap-2013-07-07-0519sd7.jpg

If Ruby is a lolicon, that would explain a lot.

Arghhhhhh stop making this sound so perfect.

Sometimes I hate myself for self-imposing stupid rules about how I watch things.

LuuKyK

Just watched the first episode of Danganronpa since they announced the localization of that Vita game.

I think the premise is very interesting, though I am not sure about this first episode... It felt rushed as hell. Could barely see each character during their introduction. I reckon there are a lot but still...

Also, the scene at the computers:
am I the only one that thought the reasoning for the character extreme desperation seemed forced? They just saw their family and suddenly got shocked. But earlier they saw a freaking creepy talking teddy bear but didnt get nearly as scared. lol

Will keep watching though.

Theonik

At least Girls und Panzer had an excuse for random German words XD
I think it fits both cases. In GuP it was more of a why not it's cool sort of thing and didn't have any real justification on the source.
In this case that line is delivered in English and leaving it as is on a text translated to English removes the exotic nature of that delivery. Therefore it's justified. As for why German, they are obviously trying to piss off the people who hated those GuP subs.

Acosta

I was getting annoyed watching Yuyushiki (chapter 9) about the constant innuendos but now I get it. This is a universe where men doesn't exist anymore, humanity is condemned to extinction and all women are driven to lesbianism.

In a more "serious" note, I enjoyed this more at the beginning, I think the first chapters were more fun and had better humour.

I'm probably overthinking this for they type of show it is.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Just watched the first episode of Danganronpa since they announced the localization of that Vita game.

I think the premise is very interesting, though I am not sure about this first episode... It felt rushed as hell. Could barely see each character during their introduction. I reckon there are a lot but still...

am I the only one that thought the reasoning for the character extreme desperation seemed forced? They just saw their family and suddenly got shocked. But earlier they saw a freaking creepy talking teddy bear but didnt get nearly as scared. lol

Each person saw something different on their screen, a big theme of the game is *spoilers*
Naegi not realizing that not everyone has the same "normal" experiences, fears, etc, that he does.

Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist Episode 1
tumblr_mpkvm4eynx1qbxqfpo2_500.png
tumblr_mpkvm4eynx1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Nearly had to check the genre of the anime, opening was so good with Dantalion and Solomon, hopefully such scenes will transpire between Dantalion and William Twining.

The mix of action, "realist," moments, and comedy made for a rather surprisingly well done episode one. If they cover lots of ground and keep things intense and hilarious then this should be one of the better five anime this season. The other characters look and act great too, Kevin, Isaac, specifically.

I also think the OP and ED combo of having the va's singing works well, maybe we can get even more character songs released alongside the anime.

cnet128

Banned

Well,
a "creepy talking teddy bear" is offputting to be sure, and the threat of explosions and talk of murder is certainly terrifying - but at the same time the whole experience is so far removed from reality that it's probably difficult to take in, so the characters' relatively muted reactions are understandable. (I say "relatively muted"...there was still an awful lot of shouting and unrest when Monokuma was explaining the rules...) There's also the fact that despite all the threat and danger, nobody has actually been harmed yet - indeed, they've been provided with all the resources they need for comfort, so there's an odd dissonance there.

By contrast,
here Naegi was just shown his family, pulling him out of this "unreal" situation back to the real world, and then confronted with images of his family home in ruins. Unlike what's happened within the school, this is evidence of some kind of clear harm being done to people he cares about, made all the more unsettling by the fact that he has no way of finding out exactly how his family have been harmed or whether they're still alive now. I think that's certainly enough to justify falling into a slight panic.

It's also worth noting that
the only video we were shown was Naegi's. We don't know what exactly was included on the other characters' videos, so that's a point worth considering with regard to the question of why Sayaka reacted so much worse to her video than the other students.

jbug617

Banned
Kiniro Mosaic 1

This is going to be the cute show this season. Loved the moment
Shinobu walked in the house with her sneakers on. It was so exhilarating for her.
Also the English parts of this episode is surprisingly good.

tumblr_mpiwxnUaUJ1s4qvrdo1_500.gif

tumblr_mpiy24CaWl1s4qvrdo1_500.gif

Hattori

Banned

You really should play the game first, or at least play ahead of the anime (the game consists of chapters.)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think it fits both cases. In GuP it was more of a why not it's cool sort of thing and didn't have any real justification on the source.
In this case that line is delivered in English and leaving it as is on a text translated to English removes the exotic nature of that delivery. Therefore it's justified. As for why German, they are obviously trying to piss off the people who hated those GuP subs.
All of this comes down to obnoxious subbers trying to create some pathetic identity for themselves and draw attention to their work. The line is "exotic" even to English speakers by inherently differentiating itself from the rest of the work.

survivor

Banned
Uchouten Kazoku 1

Who is responsible for the backgrounds on this anime. Some of them look very nice.

First episode was rather confusing. Bunch of names thrown around, random events mentioned, some backstory here and there. Not sure what to expect or what the show will be about, but it was very weird and I like that.

Theonik

All of this comes down to obnoxious subbers trying to create some pathetic identity for themselves and draw attention to their work. The line is "exotic" even to English speakers by inherently differentiating itself from the rest of the work.
Well if you don't like it watch another release/learn Japanese. It really is nothing to get worked over.

loving these new neogaf ads

Even the NSA is getting in on the banner craze
jlQGRi7Ent2A3.png

my body is ready for fate/kaleid liner prisma illya however you say it

Blood Lad - Episode 1

Yup this is my favorite show all this season so far. Actually this one was the one I was most excited for in the first place. It has good comedy in it, a really interesting story, even though romance is listed as a genre as I can tell so far it isn't that overbearing amount of romance, and it has good action in it. The OP was quite good too, I actually would go as far as saying it's the best all this season.

Staz also isn't that bad of a MC (only telling from episode 1 of course). A vampire otaku is a pretty good personality to have for this kind of show I guess.

So far I'll be following Dog & Scissors and Blood Lad most definitely. I'm still waiting on Silver Spoon and Watashi. Everything else just isn't for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom