• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh right, Blood Lad, already dropping this show since the Starz is a complete twat and I utterly hate him.

OceanBlue

You guys were right about Love Lab. Hilarious show. It took a little bit to pick up for me, but I like how snappy the jokes are. Maki's over-enthusiastic personality is great. Riko's okay too, but I guess she can't be too weird since she's the tsukkomi.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
ten minutes into Blood Lad:

8pH5B6ml.jpg

lol

Articalys

Looks like Viz made all their big anime acquisition announcements earlier in the weekend, though there were a couple new things anime-related they had today: they'll be releasing a hardcover version of The Art of Princess Mononoke early next year, along with softcover editions of Miyazaki essay/interview compendiums Starting Point and Turning Point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really doubt it will turn into an action show. I think it's just a slice of life romance wacky comedy type of thing.
One would assume so anyway. lol

----

Kiniro Mosaic

Qp3yjKGl.jpg

I had no idea what this show was, so I wasn't going to prioritize it until I saw sonicmj's post about it.

It's funny, because the first part of the show reminded me exactly of Ikoku Meiro Crosee, the show about a Japanese girl moving to Paris. Now, one of the bonus OVA spinoffs/manga spinoffs of that show was that the girl, also named Alice, ends up going to Japan to visit Yune because she becomes a Japanophile...

I always thought it'd be funny to see the other side of that cultural exchange story, and here we are.

I also liked that the first half was in "English". I suppose it's easy to do when it's just a one off thing for 15 minutes though.

But anyway, I'm glad I watched this. It looks like there are 5 "girl" shows this season, which is a crazy fucking overload, but they're all different enough that there really isn't any overlap between them... much like the season of shoujo from last year.

Updated ranking time: Tamayura > Kiniro Mosaic > Love Lab > C3-bu = KKK.

High School Oppai X Oppai! 1

SUMMER IS SAVED! Cannot wait for the subbed version. There is something for everyone in this season, including DTL with Vali and Kiba getting the spotlight.

Don't miss out on it! :)

Has anybody heard anything more on Star Blazers/Yamato 2199 screening at Anime Expo?
I believe it just recently happened, but I'm curious to know if they are seriously going to go all Wildstar and Argo on it, or if they are just using Star Blazers for the marketing (seriously?). Or if they might even do the show as Yamato via Sub and Star Blazers via dub.

Has anybody heard anything more on Star Blazers/Yamato 2199 screening at Anime Expo?
I believe it just recently happened, but I'm curious to know if they are seriously going to go all Wildstar and Argo on it, or if they are just using Star Blazers for the marketing (seriously?). Or if they might even do the show as Yamato via Sub and Star Blazers via dub.

Well funimations panel is in two hours and maybe they will share those details then, assuming they got it.

Doki Doki Precure 23

Well.... despite the beginning segment, I'm rather mellow on this episode overall. The contents of this episode makes it appropriate to make this into a midseason review as well.

So Cure Ace pretty much beat the shit out of Regina, and a later Selfish, gaining two Kills, she's already better than Mana's lackeys. On top of that, she pretty much called everyone a bunch of fucking scrubs, what an apt way to describe them. She deserves to be smug, considering she's able to purify people without relying on Cure Heart. I'm going to name Cure Ace Madoka Aguri for a bit.

So yeah, because Mana was crushed to lose her waifu (I lost her too), Cure DTF pretty much took her Lovey and said she isn't fit to be a Precure. Dammit Ace, you're certainly putting in work. Mana was depressed, and Ai made people think that she's Mana's Imouto (because fuck her friends). Apparently she loves Regina so much she thought she saw her as she was making her way through the crowds. Only to find Cure Ace's civilian design
Clearly she is a part of Regina imo

This is where we'll mix this in with a midseason review.

The main reason why Ace is here is to train the four Precures to being her level, they're clearly not DTF yet. It is to kill off their weakness basically, but we have a problem. WHAT exactly is everyone else's weaknesses that doesn't translate into a problem with the show? I can't think of one. It's like, I guess their weakness is that they rely way too much on Mana, and are utterly worthless on their own, and it's difficult to come up with a weakness because they aren't very interesting on their own.

I mean for FUCKS SAKES, if Mana is capable of yelling to repel a Selfish, on top of being able to fend off one of their attacks WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO BECOME CURE HEART, there is a massive fucking problem with the rest of the crew. I feel as if a problem with this cast is that some of them are more popular for the wrong reason, mainly with Rikka and her NTR ways. Granted, even without that, she's the more interesting of the other 3, where Alice's perks are hardly worthwhile to the series (Sebastian on the other hand...) and MakoPi is just meh.
I mean MakoPi is retiring from being an idol, but I'm not surprised because she hardly does anything with it
. It is amazing at how much they contrast with Smile Precure's group, where Smile had many likable personalities and quirks, but good lord are they stupid as fuck.
Here, it's like, everyone is competent, but they're the most boring group of Precures so far.

Speaking of training, this also opened up a potential concern that Cure Ace could get screwed over a la Cure Muse, but not as bad since Ace isn't a complete douchebag for almost the entire series, but she's severely lacking in development, and it doesn't look like she'll get big boosts in such departments for some time. Considering she's pretty much super perfect right now (but not flaunting it in every possible way), this could really be problematic in the future, so it feels a bit more painful to see her take over what Regina could've done. Oh yeah,
Just like Michiru and Kaoru, Regina was put into deep sleep :l

Cure Ace x Popsicle

Sigh, Where do we go with DDPC. I have no idea.

Analyzing Kids cartoons too much, likes Precure more than he should. Cure Kirbyguy!

jbug617

Banned

I checked on another forum and somebody said the screening that both were dubbed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Blood Lad 1:

Feels cheap with a completely flat execution. The whole copypasta manga adaptation feel is exacerbated by the continual use of action lines, floating text, and other manga effects that do nothing to enhance the material but only emphasize the sense that there is essentially no independent or creative hand trying to optimize or elevate the material and that manga panels are simply being threaded together shot for shot and animated.

The characters are, well, what you'd expect from a B or C-tier shounen. There's a lazy teenage jerkass protagonist who is undeservedly powerful, a female sidekick who drives events because tits. Interaction is rife with EVERYTHING IS FUNNY WHEN YOU SHOUT IT humor, there's lots of babby's first ecchi, and otaku reference humor abounds (although, admittedly, I sort of enjoyed the particular take of Spaz's collection being all vintage goods because otaku items are so rare in the demon world.) It's clear that the characters and narrative are meant to appeal to an early adolescent audience.

Even so, I have a bit of a soft spot for shounen so long as it's not actively awful, and I'll probably see this show to its conclusion.
In no small part because of the girl that will apparently make her debut in the next episode. Yes, I'm shockingly easy to manipulate if a character checks some boxes.
If this is actually going to be ten episodes, though, I can't imagine how it can ever be adapted in a satisfactory manner unless there's a first arc that's relatively self-contained. It's not even split cour?

jbug617

Banned
Brothers Conflict 1

Can't wait for the DTL tier list. I'll probably won't watch the show that much but wanted to check out the first episode.
The talking squirrel doesn't work for me however he right about the brothers go hard after their sister.

Articalys

It looks like there are 5 "girl" shows this season, which is a crazy fucking overload
Yeah, I noticed that too, though like you said they're all roughly aiming at slighly different genres. Going to need more time to rank them all though -- except Kitakubu. Not bothering with any more of that one.

Kinmoza ep1 was pretty good. As fun as the whole "prologue" part was, the main show does look even more entertaining with the other friends involved. Manami Tanaka and Nao Toyama can speak English fairly well.

cajunator

Banned
Coppelion Episode 1(?)-

Coppelion_vol_1.jpg

First footage I guess: http://youtu.be/nxdpa6-8Qk0

So they pretty much just dumped the first episode at Anime Expo. Overall reaction was meh. It felt like watching a C rate studio try their hand at The Last of Us. Yes the similarities are mostly superficial mainly in the setting but I still got certain vibes. For anybody not following the history of this troubled production, apparently it was supposed to have aired awhile ago but nothing was heard and people thought it got canned(maybe it did). The story itself takes place in Tokyo after something happened and radiation levels spiked. The obvious reaction would be that a bombed dropped on the city but this doesn't actually seem to be the case. The first episode doesn't make clear what the cause was but it doesn't look to be war related. Three girls and a small squad of men are sent into the city. The squad of men seem to be primarily interested in the thing at Ground Zero while the girls' mission is to find survivors, I guess. The mission for the girls isn't really that clear as they're supposed to find survivors and just leave them alone. The girls themselves are immune to radiation. At the time I thought it was stupid as fuck but I did some googling and apparently it is possible. Anyway they also have some other superhuman abilities but it's kinda glossed over for the time being.

So the first episode is mainly the girls wandering around the outskirts of the city. It's quite boring for the most part and isn't really that interesting. There is minimal use of sound initially in order to increase that feel of loneliness but the shots don't linger in the right place for long enough. There is a good sense of overgrowth though and the background art definitely reminded me of TLoU.

I had a few issues with the episode. The first is that I'm not sure what the show wants to be. Is it supposed to be a character study of these girls as they wander an Industrial forest? The problem with this is that there seemingly is supposed to be this feeling of isolation but the girls have radios which they use to contact their commander who airs stuff on television. There isn't that sense of isolation so far. The personalities of the girls too are way too variable. They just jump all over the place and it doesn't feel natural. Kana Hanazawa is in this and plays the genki girl but the genki girl has wild mood swings.

The major problem though is the coloring. I'm not a fan of GoHands previous works and a big reason is the damn color filter. It adds this unnecessary element to the show where something naturalistic is needed to emphasis how normal everything is. Instead it creates this fake and gaudy look to many of the scenes.

The other issue is the camera. It feels like shakycam as it's all over the place at times and you can't see shit in the more dynamic/action sequences. It's really atrocious for the final end bit. The camera moves around way too much and really doesn't add anything to the scenes other than attracting attention to the camera-work. Less is more and the director/animators don't know this. A minimalistic feel should have been the goal for this show but it really doesn't come across.

My impression was meh as well. The coloring and camerawork really screw the show up at times. There is one scene at the end too that is on the level of Prometheus-writing bad. It's an interesting concept but I'm not sure the execution does it justice.

Animation/art looks promising. Unfortunate if the rest does not live up to it. Will still check it out probably.

ipmbBc7chzhyA.jpg

It was pretty good yeah.

Flawless execution good sir!

No hypnobutt no sale.

No joke. ED 1 was much better. Im not a fan of completely nude girls in the ED.

Articalys

Here is a full list of all the Summer season shows that Sentai has already picked up:

- Hakkenden S2
- Fantasista Doll
- C3-Bu
- Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou
- Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen
- Kin-iro Mosaic
- Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya
- Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
- Watamote

cnet128

Banned
Blood Lad 1

Well that was fun. I'm not sure where this series is going to go, but it feels like it should be an entertaining ride wherever it is. I like the main character Staz's complete inability to give a shit about anything other than his own human-otaku priorities. He's very, uh, straightforward. The main girl Fuyumi, meanwhile, while definitely too...meaty to be really my type, is pretty cute, and contrasts with Staz nicely, so I can see them making a good duo.

The show isn't perfect, by any means - it feels very shonen-manga-y, though apparently the source material is strictly speaking a seinen manga, which gives me hope that it won't just fall into the same old tired battle-manga tropes. It also irritates me slightly that the main character seems to have a tendency to mumble his lines, making them difficult to catch. (I can only presume this is to some extent intentional, since I never had this issue with the same seiyuu in Hataraku Maou-sama!)

At any rate, I look forward to seeing what kind of antics ensue when Staz and the
newly ghostified
Fuyumi end up in the human world next episode.

Blood Lad 1

Well this is as shonen as a shonen to the shonen of shonens.

Staz is our overlord otaku who loves us, especially Japan, and then we have human girl with giant tits turned ghost. And a bunch of other bozos. What antics will come up with this aspect as they travel to the human world is a mystery for me (because I'm too lazy to read), and the subtitles in this is really fucking terrible. THANKS VIZ, this is why I yelled God Fucking Dammit when I heard of you picking things up.

Gatachman can redeem itself if it has good fights, though I much prefer the suit designs here:

Gatchaman.240.144590.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The new ones look a bit too colourful and the girls one is nonsensical.

Blood Lad
fBkD6oSl.jpg

Nerd jokes.

I assume this will turn out like Maoudonalds but with a thousand times more nerd references. Yeesh. lol

It's really not like Maoudonalds beyond having demons and being a comedy. It's pretty much a straight up battle series with a weaboo vampire protagonist.

cajunator

Banned
I was getting annoyed watching Yuyushiki (chapter 9) about the constant innuendos but now I get it. This is a universe where men doesn't exist anymore, humanity is condemned to extinction and all women are driven to lesbianism.

In a more "serious" note, I enjoyed this more at the beginning, I think the first chapters were more fun and had better humour.

I'm probably overthinking this for they type of show it is.

You kinda are overthinking it. Its like yuruyuri. Its faux yuri fun. Nobody takes it very seriously.

Kiniro Mosaic 1

This is going to be the cute show this season. Loved the moment
Shinobu walked in the house with her sneakers on. It was so exhilarating for her.
Also the English parts of this episode is surprisingly good.

tumblr_mpiwxnUaUJ1s4qvrdo1_500.gif

tumblr_mpiy24CaWl1s4qvrdo1_500.gif

Well you sold me on this show too. Not that it would have been difficult!

Blood Lad 1

Well this is as shonen as a shonen to the shonen of shonens.

Blood Lad 1:

Even so, I have a bit of a soft spot for shounen so long as it's not actively awful, and I'll probably see this show to its conclusion.
In no small part because of the girl that will apparently make her debut in the next episode. Yes, I'm shockingly easy to manipulate if a character checks some boxes.
If this is actually going to be ten episodes, though, I can't imagine how it can ever be adapted in a satisfactory manner unless there's a first arc that's relatively self-contained. It's not even split cour?

Interestingly enough, it's actually seinen.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

SUMMER IS SAVED! Cannot wait for the subbed version. There is something for everyone in this season, including DTL with Vali and Kiba getting the spotlight.

Daaaamn it, if it wasn't for Akeno I wouldn't be suckered into this again.

I need my waifu though.

Love Lab 1
Harmless silly comedy. Not bad, but I don't think it was especially funny, but it wasn't FMP Fumoffu or Level E. Some nice animation here and there. I doubt I will continue it.

Blood Lad 1
About a teenager vampire otaku. Another comedy? Seems so. This one seemed to me slightly more sympathetic and charming, apart from having more potential as story, I think it will follow this one. It does have an interesting twist at half the episode.

Uchouten Kazoku 1

This maybe the happy, feel-good series of the season, Tsuritama style, if the opening is anything to believe. It uses a bit of in media res which combined with the magical realism it makes for an interesting way to start the series. Not that confusing, but intriguing. At the end you really want to know more about the characters and their relations. For example there is flashback (wit a beautiful scene, btw)... but in the present situation the characters are very different. What happened between hem?
Mmm ok, maybe the series isn't that happy, there is more here.

For now, the best series this season.

Quasar

It'll just be wall to wall lightbeams though? I can't bring myself to watch that.

Uchouten Kazoku 01

RGM3w28l.jpg

I have now seen visible reasoning that explains why Disgaea's archers are flat.

I like this. The characters are pretty likable and definitely like the themes that they are setting up between the characters. It looks great and is definitely grounded enough oddly for a setting that has tengus and tankuis. Also so much :firehawk I love it.

cajunator

Banned
Oh god where do I start?
forgot to mention I have seen Paranoia Agent (which I liked) and Monoke (which was incedible...artstyle anyway)

Start with Kinos Journey. Or maybe Steins Gate for something recent.

LTTP Love Lab - 01

Why is this sooooooooooo good?

HNNNNNNNNNNNG and more HNNNNNNNNNNNNG all the episode.

just one episode and I already love Maki

Riko and Maki are equally precious. Love them both. Such fun characters.

fuck it.

starting Genshiken S1 tomorrow.

You havent watched Genshiken? Oh man youre in for a treat lol.

Narag

What's this Sunday Without God thing I'm seeing on CR? Description is interesting:

God abandoned the world on Sunday. As a result, nobody in the world can die or have kids. A little girl – Ai – is the grave keeper for the village and is tasked with helping the would-be dead try and find peace. However, one day a boy who identifies himself as Hampnie Hambart – the Man-eating Toy – appears in the village killing everybody and disturbing the balance of things.

Kiniro Mosaic

10/10

lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom