• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Hmm. So back in the Winter 2011 season, Funimation (in partnership with NicoNico) did a super-late simulcast of both High School DxD and Symphogear. They had licensed DxD for home video right away, but never did anything more with Symphogear, though in September 2012 they had said that they were looking at the "possibility" of Symphogear home right thanks to streaming numbers, but clearly nothing came of that.

I guess that explains why they just picked up High School DxD New for simulcasting but left Symphogear G alone. Bit of a shame, really.

Anyway, now that Funi finally announced all their times (DxD New, Brothers Conflict, and Neptunia will all eventually be same-day, while Danganronpa gets hit with an eight-day delay), I'll get around to making a full simulcast times list like before, as DTL requested.

Nafe

Holy shoot that comment was (relatively) a while ago.

But thanks for bringing it up again, I must know how I can watch a higher quality version of that short.

I thought it was kinda interesting how the humor in the short was actually kinda worse than the humor in the actual game lol -- at least in the English dub. (still bought the game because of it though)

Palutena's such a shoo-in that if she isn't in I'm losing faith in Sakurai's executive decisions.

Haha. The thread just goes by so fast and if you don't read it everyday it's pretty easy to get behind. I still slowly skim my way through the pages and comment on different things I come across. As long as you can still make them relevant to conversation I think it's okay.

I actually haven't played the game yet, just seen some of the animated shorts so far. It would be nice if she were in the game as a playable character.

Hmm. So back in the Winter 2011 season, Funimation (in partnership with NicoNico) did a super-late simulcast of both High School DxD and Symphogear. They had licensed DxD for home video right away, but never did anything more with Symphogear, though in September 2012 they had said that they were looking at the "possibility" of Symphogear home right thanks to streaming numbers, but clearly nothing came of that.

I guess that explains why they just picked up High School DxD New but left Symphogear G alone. Bit of a shame, really.

Haha, I remember that with NicoNico now that you mention it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gifuu Doudou! 02:

Once you get past the production values, this is actually pretty fun if you're at all into the idea of a cheesy, MANLY bromance full of HONOR and RIGHTEOUSNESS.

This still scared the shit out of me when it appeared, though:

aB2rySIl.jpg

CorvoSol

Cajun is like, a prophet or something. I am now using the pure goodness of Bunny Drop to wash away the evil that was that last episode of Astral Ocean.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gifuu Doudou! 02:

Once you get past the production values, this is actually pretty fun if you're at all into the idea of a cheesy, MANLY bromance full of HONOR and RIGHTEOUSNESS.

aB2rySIl.jpg

I like to think of it as Jojo's Bizzare Adventure Light.

Gifuu Doudou! 02:

aB2rySIl.jpg

They are going all over the spectrum in faces.

Narag

Gifuu Doudou! 02:

I think it's a good show hamstrung by the terrible animation/art.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think it's a good show hamstrung by the terrible animation/art.

Ep. 2 was an improvement insofar that it was just bland instead of outright hideous. I hope that some people will actually give the show a shot now that all of the snickering is out of everyone's system.

Theonik

The Skullman 09
ibuaGSyLUuknA5.png

Ring culture.
Hold it tiger you haven't even had a date yet.
I fucking knew this was going to happen but at least this now means we'll know what the Skullman is about.
Still though ;_;

Narag

Ep. 2 was an improvement insofar that it was just bland instead of outright hideous. I hope that some people will actually give the show a shot now that all of the snickering is out of everyone's system.

wonzo is our only hope. This is this season's Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman.

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 26

Sakura gets a mysterious (and, for the moment, amazing) new math teacher who seems to be more than meets the eye. After Sakura, Tomoyo, Shaoran, and Meilin (who's beginning to try my patience a bit; her constant "Shaoran!" droning got pretty annoying in this episode) get trapped in a maze, she finds it and gets them out by using some bell thing to just bust the walls down. She gets the Maze card, but gives it to Sakura. For the moment, my hunch is that she's some goddess that's come to help Sakura collect cards, because she's beautiful, powerful, and seems to have a very kind demeanor. Still wouldn't hurt for Sakura to follow Shaoran's advice and be careful around her.

Oh, and Toya knows her, and they're on a first-name basis. I hope they're not some old pair of lovers or something. That would go against the Toya x Yukito pairing that I was so goddamn sure about. :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare
wonzo is our only hope. This is this season's Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman.

Granted, I thought that the first half of Roman was legitimately bad, but fuck what an incredible turnaround. It's probably worth watching the whole thing just to witness the total transformation.

cnet128

Banned
Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku 2

This still feels super generic. I think its problem is with the pacing - the lines are delivered quite slowly and it feels like there's half a second or so too long in between each line and the next, which makes the flow of the conversations and humour feel a little flat.

That said, I still found a lot of the material in this episode pretty entertaining.

cjkeats

Servant x Service: Episode 2
Fantastic. Main girls reactive ahoge continues to be the best thing.
aside from her giant rack, of course.
The cast continues to be awesome. Definitely sticking with this one for the season.

CorvoSol

Bunny Drop 7

This show is so good. I really like the way it goes about handling things. One minute you can be laughing at Haruko ribbing Daikichi about his feelings for Kouki's mom (who is older than him, I guess? Doesn't look it.) and the next you get children talking about divorce and family dynamics.

Such a good show.

Bunny Drop 7

This show is so good. I really like the way it goes about handling things. One minute you can be laughing at Haruko ribbing Daikichi about his feelings for Kouki's mom (who is older than him, I guess? Doesn't look it.) and the next you get children talking about divorce and family dynamics.

Such a good show.

That sounds like a show I should check out while I take a look at the barrage of comedy anime suggested to me yesterday and while I plow through School Days.

Servant x Service 2

ibloo74c78Dv7d.jpg

That's not the Vividbutt I know, also not-AkaneAoi's proportions are fucked!

This was a vast improvement over last week's episode, pretty much every scene gave me a good laugh. If the quality is consistent throughout the rest of the show it'll be as great as Working S2.

CorvoSol

That sounds like a show I should check out while I take a look at the barrage of comedy anime suggested to me yesterday and while I plow through School Days.

Bunny Drop is really good. It's an endearing story about a guy discovering what it means to be a dad. Just a really good show.

Rozen Maiden 2

Beautiful. Such a melancholic atmosphere. The isolation and emptiness of.Jun's life as a college student is convincingly and realistically portrayed. Mochizuki did a great job as sound director, bringing out the ambient noises of the city and getting restrained performances from the voice actors. The music is used really well too; its building of tension to a sudden cutoff on a few occasions reminded me of Aku no Hana. Without the whirlwind of fantastical events that the first episode had to summarize, the excellence of the storyboarding and editing comes through even stronger. I really like the creative framing of the characters and some of the visual touches such as the punch card closeups.

Of course, the fantastical intrudes again before the episode is out, in a scene that had touches of a horror film (that kettle whistle). It did a good job of getting us inside Jun's head - actually the whole episode did a good job of that. I'm not exactly looking forward to the reappearance of the Rozen Maidens, as I like the show better without the problematic personalities of some of them, but if the strong atmosphere is retained I'm sure I'll still be able to enjoy the show when that time comes.

Go Home Club 1 - This is a very generic "group of girls at school club" show. Subpar, very low budget, and incredibly bland, this show is boring, predictable, and not very interesting. It doesn't seem to really be about anything, and it's not any good either. Sure, it's watchably average, but nothing more than that. The art is poor, characters are basic tropes (rich girl, strong girl, "normal" main character, etc.), and I can't really think of anything particularly good to say about it other than that it wasn't terrible. Will I keep watching, though? Eh... I don't know.

Hyakka Ryokan Samurai Brides 4-7 - More maid episodes. More subpar mediocrity. Kanetsugu still is the target of most of the jokes. Poor Kanetsugu. Sasuke the monkey gets a powerup, and is the next Master Samurai (in monkey-girl form). But really, these episodes weren't very good, and that's why it took so long to actually write something about them (I wrote about ep. 3 back in May), and keep watching; these are even worse than most episodes from season 1. The maid stuff finally mostly ends with episode 6, but 7 wasn't any better. Still subpar and meh, but technically watchable and occasionally amusing.

Episodes 8-9 - I watched these two episodes yesterday, and they're why I finally wrote something about this series -- these two episodes were a vast improvement over the earlier ones! This show is still Samurai Girls, for sure, but at least now it's entirely mediore, a step up from the quite subpar first half of the season. So, in this arc, things finally start ramping up. Apparently there's this stone which some evil spirit creature thing wants. We don't learn much about the stone in ep.8, just that this creature, which is a giant spirit creature that is trying to find the Stone and can freeze people by looking at them, is wandering around at night and scaring people. It's kind of frustrating that the series takes so long to tell you what this Stone is, but ah well. By the end of ep. 9 we have a hint, and apparently the next episode will fully explain. Senhime's brother knows all the details.
Apparently it's some stone which protects the nation, so if it's broken the nation will fall, or something. Why the spirit, which actually is Mataemon, one of the four resurrected samurai who are the antagonists this season, want to do this is unknown.
Oh, and we have two final Master Samurais;
Hanzo and Matabei are finally Master Samurais as well, because they're needed to win the battle at the end of ep. 9.
Also, seriously Sen-hime... you got captured how many times in two episodes? Can't you fight better than that?

The other plot in these episodes is about Inshun, one of the resurrected samurais. Jubei makes friends with her, and then doesn't believe it when Inshun (or Inko-chan, as Jubei calls her) is accused of being the culprit behind the giant spirit incidents.
Jubei is right on that point; Inshun is actually trying to stop Mataemon, not help her.
It's a predictable but cute and decent little sideplot. Overall, these episodes were alright. Hopefully the last two episodes will be as decent as these two are. It won't exactly save the show, but it might slightly more justify that I actually watched this thing, anyway. I hope. :p

C3-bu 1 - Okay, but somewhat creepy, series about girls who love fake (airsoft) guns. The gun fetishism in this series definitely is borderline disturbing, with how the guns look so real... it's kind of messed up. It's like gun-culture fetishism from people who have no clue what gun culture actually is. Kind of weird.

Otherwise, though, this is another group-of-girls show, except this one has action too, in their wargame exercises with their airsoft weapons. It's alright, but not great. Decent cast, decent animation, decent plot, somewhat messed up concept. I'll watch more, but this is nothing amazing. It's not awful though, certainly.

Kiniro Mosaic 1 - This one was disappointing. I was hoping that this would be good, but... it just wasn't. Now, it wasn't terrible, and I might watch a little more, but if you want to watch something sort of like this but better, watch some other group of girls show, or for the first part, just stick with Ikoku Meiro no Croisee (if that was the correct title). Anyway, this is a series about a Japanese girl who goes to England for a week in a home stay with some friends' of her parents, and then about how their daughter then comes to Japan (to live with the main character girl and her family) as an exchange student some time later. It's a group-of-girls series, pretty much, with exchange student stuff. The former part is covered in the first 15 minutes of this episode, the latter will be the rest of the season I expect. The episode is alright, but, as I said, overall could have been better.

Now, there are several issues I had with this show. First, the characters look far too young. I have no idea how old the girls are supposed to be in that first 15-minute part; they look quite young, but don't look much older after the timeskip and they are apparently "high school students". It's kind of stupid.

Second, and more importantly, the main character is kind of stupid and lazy, and I really dislike such things. Okay, so she goes to England for a week. She arrives knowing one word of English, "Hello." Now, if she was going somewhere where everyone spoke Japanese, that would be fine. But she's not. The parents she's staying with know Japanese (they are her parents' friends, so that makes sense), but not their daughter, or anyone else of course. But does the MC bother to learn any English? Nope. Not a word. When she's leaving a week later, she still can only say "hello", which leads to a brain-hurtingly stupid 'goodbye' scene. Ithink it was supposed to be touching or funny, but it wasn't much of either, it was mostly just stupid because it showed how little she cares about actually learning anything about the place she's visiting, while taking it for granted that the others will learn her language and culture.

And on that note, the British girl, while she is very shy at first, eventually does go out of her way to try to learn some Japanese, and succeeds at learning a few words. After the timeskip, she's now an exchange student in Japan, and knows very good (spoken) Japanese. I don't think she knows Kanji well, but otherwise she's probably too literate, considering how hard the language is (script particularly) and how young she is (high school). Don't expect the MC to have learned any more English, though. She hasn't. Jerk. Naturally the British girl likes her just fine, but I don't agree. Going on and on in Japanese when she asks you a question, knowing she doesn't know what you're saying, and never making any kind of effort to learn her language while she learns yours... ugh! Not nice.

Beyond that, the episode also had some ... convenient ... plot elements. One would be how good the British girl is at Japanese after the timeskip. Another would be the pretty silly scene at school near the end, where naturally the MC just walked off just before the British girl shows up, so that they can keep the surprise (for her) that she's here going until she walks into the classroom. It was all a bit too convenient. And I didn't even mention how of course also her mother was keeping it secret from her, so she didn't know until the end. It just wasn't very plausible. Ah well.

So yeah, overall, Kiniro Mosaic annoyed me regularly. It wasn't all bad, for sure, but too much of it was frustrating and annoying. Between the frustrating and not particularly likeable main character, the convenient plot incidents, and the too-young-looking characters, and maybe more (I might be forgetting something more, I watched this a few days ago), this show was disappointing.

EDIT: What I was forgetting is that I did not like how the entire England part of the episode (so 15 minutes) was done with black bars on top and bottom. This may have been for the subtitles, but seriously, just put them over the picture! There's no good reason not to. Giant black bars like that look kind of ugly. (end edit)

Here Comes the Black Witch! 27-29 - More fun antics. Gyubid sure is silly...
kidnapping a chicken just so she can have some eggs? :lol
It was pretty funny how the mystery-solving boy actually got that one right. :) The main plot of that episode, about the teacher, was predictable, but still, was well done. The other episodes here were just as good. This is a good short-episodes show. I've liked just about every episode. Even when it's predictable, as some of these were (the one with the cooking contest also wasn't exactly shocking, once the reveal came of what the "villains" were really doing), it's still good fun stuff. Good little series.

My Teenage Romcom SNAFU 1-6 - I haven't written anything about this series yet I think, but I actually kind of like it. This is a series about a somewhat generic guy who "hates romance" (of course" and doesn't like other people (naturally) and doesn't like the idea of the fetishization of youth either so he wants no part in such things, but who of course gets drawn into a somewhat generic LN-based shonen romance series despite his best efforts. Well, at lest this isn't harem, at least not yet; there are only two girls interested in him, so it's technically a love triangle, even if all the signs of harem anime are here. The guy does have a sister, and she kind of likes him, but not romantically; he does actually say something about how sisters are funny because you just don't see them that way. Of course they have his sister think a bit more highly of him than a real teenage girl younger sister probably would, but at least it's far better than most.

These better than average characters continue with the other girls, the main one in particular. The main girl's quite open in saying what she's thinking; she's often quite hard on people, with quick-witted, but accurate, insults. This kind of character is not common as the main girl. I guess you could call her "tsundere", but she hasn't shown much dere at all so far. She's quite clear that she does not like the MC at all. Sure, eventually I'm sure she will, but she's more interesting and better written than your average tsundere-harem-girl character, for sure.

The other girl isn't as interesting, as she's more the peppy girl who is nice and clearly does like the MC (but he rejects her because, well, that's his character type). She's not as interesting as the main girl, and I doubt she'll win. Still, her intereactions with the other characters can be good; her different attitude makes the interactions of the three main characters interesting, sometimes.

Thre is also a bit of drama behind the series, that's slowly being unveiled. I haven't gotten to the end of it yet, but I know that there's some more drama to come, regarding a past car accident where the MC saved the second girls' dog.

While mostly this is a decent to good show, not all of the episodes are good, unfortunately. Most are, but episode two, for instance (I think it was episode two? Or three?), was kind of bad, because it was just so stupidly implausible and it was annoying how of course he had to save the day despite being "useless", etc, and also that whole thing about
knowing just when a wind gust would blow because it always does at that time of day, something he knows because he always eats lunch outside in order to get away from people and it's lunchtime] was really quite stupid.

Fortunately, after that episode things get better again, and I will keep watching. Teen Romcom Snafu, or whatever you want to call it, isn't great anime, but it's okay, which makes it a bit better than most in its class. (Isn't it kind of sad that that's actually a compliment?)

Well it had its moments. Victorique was pretty cute.
Wait does that mean GoSick = child porn?

GoSick was an up and down show for the first 17 episodes. A lot of people hated it, but I mostly defended it. Sure, some arcs weren't that great, but others were kind of good.

But then... episode 18. I will hate that show forever for that episode, I think. I think that was the episode, anyway. The one on the train, with the character-ruining actions the main pair did. It really was a moral event horizon moment.

jbug617

Banned
Servant X Service 2

Episode is very :Chet heavy in the beginning.

Turns out that the Yamagami's quiet coworker is into
cosplay. The discovery was quiet shocking too because I wasn't expecting it. Yamagami's breasts become a problem and a conversation about clothes lead to possibility of cosplaying in the future.

There was a new character introduced.
She is a high school girl name Toko and she loves to complain and also the little sister of the senpai. She also has a brother complex

Good episode overall.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
oops sorry

Tomokazu Sugita as Raleigh Becket (played by Charlie Hunnam)
Megumi Hayashibara as Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi)
Tesshô Genda as Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba)
Tohru Furuya as Dr. Newton Geizler (Charlie Day)
Yuji Mitsuya as Dr. Hermann Gottlieb (Burn Gorman)
Shuuichi Ikeda as Herc Hansen (Max Martini)
Shigeru Chiba as Tendo Choi (Clifton Collins Jr.)
Daisuke Namikawa as Chuck Hansen (Robert Kazinsky)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...cific-rim-poster-and-japan-creators-laud-film

I wonder if they'll include the Japanese audio track in the US BR home release.

Articalys

In contrast to the other opinions stated so far, Servant x Service is the first show I can safely cut out of my Summer schedule. It was rather packed full already, so it's a bit of a relief.

Narag

Man i really haven't been to the theater in forever. $35 for a small drink? What a world

Granted, I thought that the first half of Roman was legitimately bad, but fuck what an incredible turnaround. It's probably worth watching the whole thing just to witness the total transformation.

Yeah always pleasant when the irony watch yields fruit.

Nafe

Oh crap, speaking of which, somebody asked me to do one and I ended up forgetting to finish it. :(

Oops. :(

It does, but CP needs to actually come out already too. Can't wait to start figuring out Nu-13's new stance-based movelist.

I don't know what this means but I'm interested,haha.
Do you main Nu-13? I've actually thought about trying her first when getting the game.

She has so much dialogue in the game, you'd almost think she was the main character.

Sounds good. :)

Theonik

I wonder if they'll include the Japanese audio track in the US BR home release.
Probably not. These tracks are huge and they also don't want the Japanese importing.

Servant x Service 2

This was a vast improvement over last week's episode, pretty much every scene gave me a good laugh. If the quality is consistent throughout the rest of the show it'll be as great as Working S2.
That looks like an affront to butts everywhere.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
C3-bu 1 - Okay, but somewhat creepy, series about girls who love fake (airsoft) guns. The gun fetishism in this series definitely is borderline disturbing, with how the guns look so real... it's kind of messed up. It's like gun-culture fetishism from people who have no clue what gun culture actually is. Kind of weird.

I take it you're not familiar with Japanese airsoft otaku, huh? Even though it's essentially a parody of otaku culture, you should watch Otaku no Video (which, coincidentally, was also made by Gainax).

But then, everyone should watch Otaku no Video. It should be a prerequisite for being an anime fan.

sonicmj1

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean 7

REALLY? REALLY? I MEAN FUCKING REALLY? You had a perfectly good character design with the
crazy purple shape shifter lady
and then you go and make her
a white haired pretty boy?
FUCK YOU BONES. THIS CHANGE HAD BETTER NOT LAST MORE THAN AN EPISODE.

A white haired pretty boy with funny eyes and superhuman abilities and if he comes in contact with an alien substance underneath HQ it's game over? I already fucking hated Kaoru Nagisa and now he's shitting up Eureka Seven? FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

WHY.

AND LET'S NOT FORGET HIS ASSOCIATION WITH MUSIC! I mean I get it, White Haired Pretty Boys are a thing, but I mean really. Of all the White Haired Pretty Boys, why FUCKING KAORU NAGISA.

AND HE ALWAYS WANTED TO MEET OUR MOPEY PROTAGONIST?

FUCK THIS.

Oh, I only explained why E7 AO got terrible because I thought Truth showed up in Episode 6. Now I don't really need to tell you anything anymore.

Truth makes Kaworu look like Kaji, unless you think that blue-haired pretty boys with ridiculous unexplained powers are super cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom