• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Says the man who was going to wait for subs for ecchi nonsense! Though it's Miyukichi so you're probably right.
I didn't say I were a real man.

During those four years I spent at uni studying Japanese, I never realised I was in training to become a REAL MAN! Suddenly it all seems worthwhile!

it was already deeply worthwhile
I should get my ass at learning Nihongo proper this year. I keep putting it off but it won't happen at this rate.

/XX/

Anno wishes he could make something as good as Strike Witches.
But ex-GAiNAX Kazuhiro Takamura sure was very moved by his beloved Hideaki Anno being a fan of Strike Witches, to the point of Mr. Anno asking personally for the DVDs of the series, which as Mr. Takamura says he proudly displays at the Studio Khara office:

ありがたいお話。: バニシングポイント・ブログ
http://vanishingpoint.air-nifty.com/blog/2008/10/post-359f.html

Transforming Raccoon that fight with there balls isn't realistic or mundane(pom poko) neither is Hols: Prince of the Sun or Panda Go, your description makes his works sound uninteresting imo.
There is realistic, and then there is also a realistic approach to fantastical elements and very naturalistic depictions as Pom Poko does; much of the false-documentary style and the grim society aspects (that later certain characters come to accept in very true-to-life scenes) in that movie actually clash with what of legendary and whimsical the protagonist characters have. And much of the banal aspects and interactions are still reflected here in greater detail and focus.

Have they announced how many episodes Kill la Kill is supposed have?
24, AFAIK.
First Newtype scoop only confirmed a two 'cours' run. Was there any other information that mentioned this '24 episodes' figure?

I want* my 2D mechs and the only studios who might (and even that's not a guarantee) are BONES and KyoAni.
Not a fan of SUNRISE Inc., perhaps?

So I decided to check what Oonuma's involvement was and it turns out he's directing both this and Prisma Ilya at the same time. What the hell? Are there any other examples of a director directing two shows airing at the same time.
I don't even know how Tsutomu Mizushima makes it, but I have the impression he has worked lately on too many things at the same time!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Silver Spoon Episode 1: Generic high school tropes do not get better on a farm, they get worse, they get duller, do yourself a favor and go play a Harvest Moon game instead.

Sorry, I can be very condescending sometimes. I'm just disappointed that I didn't laugh as much as I wanted to when watching this. If I come out of a comedy anime with only laughing at one scene, then I might as well not laughed at all. I like my comedies to be like Dansei Kokosei where I'm laughing constantly and the jokes are back to back.

Silver Spoon Episode 1: Generic high school tropes do not get better on a farm, they get worse, they get duller, do yourself a favor and go play a Harvest Moon game instead.

Not the biggest fan of the first episode but I'm not sure what do you mean with generic high school tropes.

(Harvest Moon, except the SNES original, sucks by the way)

But ex-GAiNAX Kazuhiro Takamura sure was very moved by his beloved Hideaki Anno for being a fan of Strike Witches, to the point of Mr. Anno asking personally for the DVDs of the series, which as Mr. Takamura says he proudly displays at the Studio Khara office:

Anno confirmed not so awful.

Theonik

But ex-GAiNAX Kazuhiro Takamura sure was very moved by his beloved Hideaki Anno being a fan of Strike Witches, to the point of Mr. Anno asking personally for the DVDs of the series, which as Mr. Takamura says he proudly displays at the Studio Khara office:

Anno is a bro that much is known

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not the biggest fan of the first episode but I'm not sure what do you mean with generic high school tropes.

(Harvest Moon, except the SNES original, sucks by the way)

High School slice of life tropes, they all have a farm theme to them, which makes sense but does not make them any more interesting.

tbh Silver Spoon isn't really a comedy series.

It isn't!? I really shouldn't have went in it looking for comedy then. I was mostly just looking at the manga tags for it and most of them say comedy, slice of life, shounen. If it's barely a comedy I might as well drop it right now, because I was only in it for the comedy since it's been a long time since a good slice of life comedy came out that was different.

Kurita

It isn't!? I really shouldn't have went in it looking for comedy then. I was mostly just looking at the manga tags for it and most of them say comedy, slice of life, shounen. If it's barely a comedy I might as well drop it right now, because I was only in it for the comedy since it's been a long time since a good slice of life comedy came out that was different.

I see it more as a slice of life/coming of age series, with a few jokes every now and then. I love Silver Spoon but I can't say I'm reading it because it's funny.

Syrinx

Glass Fleet 22

Oh, Aimer's jealous of...wait, who is she jealous of, Cleo or Michel? Does she still have the hots for Michel even though she knows she's a woman now? Who got this :SDBurton in my Glass Fleet?

Seems this is a flashback episode about Aimer. *shrugs* If you insist, but you've only got 4 episodes left after this one. It's probably not a good idea to have an episode like this now, unless you don't have anything else to fill the time.

Wait...lol is she riding a segway through that crowd of people? Haha, that's some pretty abysmal animation right there. Oh okay, it's more like a motorized skateboard. Still dumb.

"Oh no! I forgot we had until the morning!" Hold on, they forgot that the aristocrats were coming to bulldoze their fucking village? LMAO! Oh no wait, it was "I thought we had until morning!", hence the blame they put on Aimer. But...it was morning. They said they were coming in the morning, and then they showed a scene of Aimer playing Cleo's harmonica at night, and then it was daylight. Morning! Something's off here.

Oh yay the fatman!

Four episodes left. I'm still curious to see if Hector actually went ahead with that bullshit plan of his to build up his own army. Or maybe he won't show up at all. That would probably be for the best.

Narag

Link? Highlights of the cast? Something?

oops sorry

Tomokazu Sugita as Raleigh Becket (played by Charlie Hunnam)
Megumi Hayashibara as Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi)
Tesshô Genda as Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba)
Tohru Furuya as Dr. Newton Geizler (Charlie Day)
Yuji Mitsuya as Dr. Hermann Gottlieb (Burn Gorman)
Shuuichi Ikeda as Herc Hansen (Max Martini)
Shigeru Chiba as Tendo Choi (Clifton Collins Jr.)
Daisuke Namikawa as Chuck Hansen (Robert Kazinsky)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...cific-rim-poster-and-japan-creators-laud-film

Finally, Funi has released their simulcast schedule and they got High School DxD New.

High School DxD New
Launch: Episode 1 July 14th at 7pm CT (Episode 2 & 3 on July 21th)
Simulcasts Sundays at 7pm CT

Danganronpa: The Animation
Launch: Episode 1 July 12th at 4pm CT
Simulcasts Fridays at 4pm CT

Brothers Conflict
Launch: Episodes 1, 2, and 3 July 16th at 11pm CT
Simulcasts Tuesdays at 11pm CT

Hyperdimension Neptunia
Launch: Episode 1 July 12th at 8:30pm CT
Simulcasts Fridays at 8:30pm CT

This seems silly they'll be a week behind in Danganronpa. ~_~

cnet128

Banned
I don't know any of those fuckers.

You don't know Sugita? You should probably just go and commit seppuku, there's no recovering from that shame.

(I don't recognise most of the others, though. Hayashibara Megumi and Namikawa Daisuke are definitely familiar, but I couldn't really put a voice to them without looking them up...)

cnet128

Banned
Silver Spoon 1 halfway point

I don't understand how someone couldn't have known where eggs come from.

I think it's more a case of "never thought about it too hard before" than "didn't know".

Easy to get grossed out by something when you
just saw it come out of an animal's ass

Dresden

I didn't even notice the character. Why would they do that? Cost maybe?

Maybe they just record together and they couldn't match up with Kikuchi, or cost, or standard procedure for dubs? I was more amused by Mako being dubbed by Hayashibara, though, because when I first saw the trailers for PR I thought that Mako was totally a Rei Ayanami.

Narag

Maybe they just record together and they couldn't match up with Kikuchi, or cost, or standard procedure for dubs? I was more amused by Mako being dubbed by Hayashibara, though, because when I first saw the trailers for PR I thought that Mako was totally a Rei Ayanami.

maybe we can get zeroshiki on the case

!

tumblr_mky959kgBw1r8wo73o1_500.gif

Poor Anno someone help him.

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean 7

REALLY? REALLY? I MEAN FUCKING REALLY? You had a perfectly good character design with the
crazy purple shape shifter lady
and then you go and make her
a white haired pretty boy?
FUCK YOU BONES. THIS CHANGE HAD BETTER NOT LAST MORE THAN AN EPISODE.

A white haired pretty boy with funny eyes and superhuman abilities and if he comes in contact with an alien substance underneath HQ it's game over? I already fucking hated Kaoru Nagisa and now he's shitting up Eureka Seven? FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

WHY.

AND LET'S NOT FORGET HIS ASSOCIATION WITH MUSIC! I mean I get it, White Haired Pretty Boys are a thing, but I mean really. Of all the White Haired Pretty Boys, why FUCKING KAORU NAGISA.

AND HE ALWAYS WANTED TO MEET OUR MOPEY PROTAGONIST?

FUCK THIS.

Silver Spoon - 1
Every attempt at a joke fell flat for me. It's a rough first episode, but I like the character designs and I'm interested enough in the setting to want to see more.

Dresden

REALLY? REALLY? I MEAN FUCKING REALLY? You had a perfectly good character design with the

A white haired pretty boy with funny eyes and superhuman abilities and if he comes in contact with an alien substance underneath HQ it's game over? I already fucking hated Kaoru Nagisa and now he's shitting up Eureka Seven? FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

WHY.

AND LET'S NOT FORGET HIS ASSOCIATION WITH MUSIC! I mean I get it, White Haired Pretty Boys are a thing, but I mean really. Of all the White Haired Pretty Boys, why FUCKING KAORU NAGISA.

FUCK THIS.

Truth would be okay if he was Kaworu.

He's much worse.

Articalys

Extended sales list for July 1-7
Code:
2013 07/01~07/07 BD List
-- (*32) --- *1,115 **1,115 **1 Ao no Exorcist Movie RE
-- (*34) --- **,992 ***,992 **1 Kotoura-san v4
-- (*35) *19 **,965 *19,330 **3 Love Live! v4
-- (*36) --- **,902 ***,902 **1 Ixion Saga DT v8
-- (*37) **9 **,898 **8,069 **2 Date A Live v1
-- (*40) *96 **,736 *21,830 *11 Love Live! v2
-- (*43) *13 **,670 **6,089 **2 Kakumeiki Valvrave v1
-- (*47) **8 **,606 **7,950 **2 Little Busters! v7
-- (*50) *79 **,536 *19,500 **6 Love Live! v3
-- (*51) *46 **,526 *17,698 **3 Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. v1
-- (*56) **5 **,494 *13,436 **2 Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann BD Box
-- (*58) *21 **,486 **3,908 **2 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W v2
-- (*59) 105 **,484 *30,234 *16 Love Live! v1
-- (*60) *11 **,480 **7,355 **2 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru v1
-- (*61) *28 **,462 *35,381 **3 Girls und Panzer v6
-- (*67) *14 **,405 **5,427 **2 Vividred Operation v4
-- (*72) *20 **,384 **4,007 **2 Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san v1
-- (*73) *17 **,376 **4,392 **2 Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko. v1 LE
-- (*84) *59 **,329 *10,356 **3 Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED Destiny BD Box
-- (*85) *70 **,320 **6,563 **3 Berserk Ougon Jidai-hen III
-- (*86) *82 **,316 **8,129 **3 Macross Plus BD Box
-- (*88) *58 **,309 *13,649 **3 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! v7
-- (*90) *97 **,300 *26,519 **6 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 v5
-- (*98) *15 **,263 **5,052 **2 To Aru Majutsu no Index BD Box

Minor updates on the Spring Temporal Sales list, though I don't think anything changed places.
63,638 *2 Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love 2000% [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26 [massive event ticket effect]
20,260 *3 Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/19
11,839 *1 Hatarakou Maou-sama! [DVD+BD]: 2013/07/03
*8,906 *3 Karneval [DVD+BD]: 2013/05/28 [v2+ have large event ticket drop]
*9,615 *2 Date A Live [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/28
*8,968 *2 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
*8,295 *2 Kakumeiki Valvrave [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
*5,787 *2 Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko. [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26 [●]
*5,072 *3 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W [DVD+BD]: 2013/05/31
*4,162 *2 Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. Z [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/05
*4,007 *2 Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san [BD]: 2013/06/26
*3,960 *1 Devil Survivor 2 [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/19
*3,874 *2 Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/21
*2,813 *3 Yuyushiki [DVD+BD]: 2013/05/29 [●]
*1,915 *1 RDG Red Data Girl [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/28 [●]
*1,596 *1 Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26 [●]
*1,403 *1 Photokano [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/28 [●]
**,696 *1 Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/26
**,346 *1 Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/19 [●]

**,*** ** Arata Kangatari [DVD+BD]: 2013/06/21
Also, Ixion Saga DT checks in with a final per-volume average of 2,197 over eight volumes.

cnet128

Banned

WHY.

FUCK THIS.

And now you're in the right mindset for watching AO!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Extended sales list for July 1-7
Code:
2013 07/01~07/07 BD List
-- (*32) --- *1,115 **1,115 **1 Ao no Exorcist Movie RE
-- (*34) --- **,992 ***,992 **1 Kotoura-san v4
-- (*35) *19 **,965 *19,330 **3 Love Live! v4
-- (*36) --- **,902 ***,902 **1 Ixion Saga DT v8
-- (*37) **9 **,898 **8,069 **2 Date A Live v1
-- (*40) *96 **,736 *21,830 *11 Love Live! v2
-- (*43) *13 **,670 **6,089 **2 Kakumeiki Valvrave v1
-- (*47) **8 **,606 **7,950 **2 Little Busters! v7
-- (*50) *79 **,536 *19,500 **6 Love Live! v3
-- (*51) *46 **,526 *17,698 **3 [/b]Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. v1[/b]
-- (*56) **5 **,494 *13,436 **2 Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann BD Box
-- (*58) *21 **,486 **3,908 **2 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W v2
-- (*59) 105 **,484 *30,234 *16 Love Live! v1
-- (*60) *11 **,480 **7,355 **2 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru v1
-- (*61) *28 **,462 *35,381 **3 Girls und Panzer v6
-- (*67) *14 **,405 **5,427 **2 Vividred Operation v4
-- (*72) *20 **,384 **4,007 **2 Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san v1
-- (*73) *17 **,376 **4,392 **2 Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko. v1 LE
-- (*84) *59 **,329 *10,356 **3 Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED Destiny BD Box
-- (*85) *70 **,320 **6,563 **3 Berserk Ougon Jidai-hen III
-- (*86) *82 **,316 **8,129 **3 Macross Plus BD Box
-- (*88) *58 **,309 *13,649 **3 Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! v7
-- (*90) *97 **,300 *26,519 **6 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 v5
-- (*98) *15 **,263 **5,052 **2 To Aru Majutsu no Index BD Box

Minor updates on the Spring Temporal Sales list, though I don't think anything changed places.

Love Live and Girls und Panzer making them sales!

duckroll

Silver Spoon - Episode 1

This is a pretty good adaptation. It's very faithful to the source, but it also takes advantage of animation to enhance certain scenes. It's really only apparent in the later parts of the episode though, since the direction in the beginning is honestly rather flat. I'm disappointed that the backgrounds aren't as detailed and pretty as the ones in Sword Art Online, since it has the same director. But overall as a big fan of the manga, I'm pretty pleased by the end of the episode.

Those who are not familiar with the manga should keep in mind that the story is very much about Hachiken's perspective of what to expect. Thus at the beginning, the generic feel is largely down to how he chooses to perceive it and carry it out. The manga also did a really good job of putting the reader into Hachiken's head, probably because the reality is that most people reading manga and watching anime are those who are familiar with city life, rather than rural and agricultural lifestyles. When he gets more involved and learns to be more proactive in engaging this lifestyle, that's when the story really shines.

I don't really think I ever found most of the humor in Silver Spoon that funny, and the gags in Fullmetal Alchemist didn't really do much for me either, but its how the author presents a world and writes interesting characters and exchanges which keeps me invested in her works.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Servant x Service Episode 2: This show continues to make me laugh, and I still like the office setting. That being said, I did not like this episode as much, mainly because of new High School Tsundare Toko giving me a bloody headache.

CorvoSol

Truth would be okay if he was Kaworu.

He's much worse.

Yeah because at least Kaworu had the decency to be in as few episodes as possible at the end of the series (not that the same can be said for his awful self in Rebuild), but this guy's showed up early on.

I just cannot believe what I've seen in this episode. Take an original character and design, throw it away and swap in the most by the numbers whpb and call it a day.

And now you're in the right mindset for watching AO!

I'm so angry right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom