• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is. And lok how cute the girls are. Really great design. Utterly enjoyable to watch.
I was surprised by how cliché the plot is at first ..but the anime won me over with the rest.
It's nothing special but it's enjoyable.

Though you should stop watching the show now, because it gets worse with each episode from this point.

I disagree.. there are plenty of laughs to have later ..and so nice situations to check.
As long as you're not watching entirely for the story , go ahead !

cajunator

Banned
Though you should stop watching the show now, because it gets worse with each episode from this point.

Im gonna ride this joytrain to its conclusion.

I was surprised by how cliché the plot is at first ..but the anime won me over with the rest.
It's nothing special but it's enjoyable.

I disagree.. there are plenty of laughs to have later ..and so nice situations to check.
As long as you're not watching entirely for the story , go ahead !

I dont watch this kind of show for a noteworthy story. I want cute girls blowing shit up and looking awesome doing it.

Jex

An inconsistent show with flashes of greatness sounds like the perfect sequel to Gunbuster to me.

I think what Regulus is saying is that while neither Gunbuster or Diebuster are prefect works Gunbuster had a far better understanding of what it's core idea was and delivered upon that core in a tighter and more satisfying manner than Diebuster which oscillated between being it's own thing and trying to replicate elements of the original.

Jex

[Re: Cutie Honey ] - 1: Heaven

Cutie Honey is a franchise which originated from a manga in 1973 created by your pal and mine Go Nagai. It stars Honey Kisaragi, an android with the power to transform into the heroine 'Cutie Honey', along with many other different forms, for the purpose of battling the bad guys. As this is a Go Nagai creation the transformation process involves Honey losing all her clothes.

This manga has spawned numerous adaptations over the decades but I have no familiarity with any of them. After hearing nothing but praise for the three part OVA Re:Cutie Honey produced in 2004 by Gainax I thought that I'd give it a shot.

While this OVA series is technically directed by Hideki Anno I couldn't detect a single hint of his style in this first episode. ANN lists Anno as the Chief Director rather than as a specific episode director or storyboarded. This first episode, Heaven, was directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi although anyone familiar with his work wouldn't have to go to ANN to find that out - his style oozes from every facet of the episode.

cutiehoneyactlmls8.gif

Exaggerated but simplified character designs, hugely exaggerated character poses and expressions, a breakneck pace, bold colour design, a light hearted tone which features crude humour - the list goes on and on.

For those unfamiliar with the name, Imaishi was a Gainax regular who worked on a huge number of shows over the years. He directed Gurren Lagann, Dead Leaves and did a fair bit of work on FLCL which are the titles that I imagine most people are familiar with. If you like his style then you'll love this because it's pure, unfiltered Imaishi. There's not even the slightest attempt to make the world of this series a realistic or believable setting instead it's a bright, flat cartoon world where physics and logic have been throw under the bus in exchange for action, gags and general silliness.

I find that this approach works because he fully commits to it. Cutie Honey and the villains she faces are so over the top that it only makes sense to make every aspect of the series just as ridiculous. If one or two elements were silly and stylised and the rest weren't then it wouldn't work nearly as well. As a result of these stylistic decisions and the energy of Imaishi's direction there's never any chance to get bored or to stop paying attention because something interesting is happening all the time.

There's lots of experimentation with layout, sets, camera work, editing and just about everything you can think of. He clearly worked fairly hard to ensure that there weren't many standard, boring shots and instead he's constantly pushing the boundaries and showing you something new, even in fairly low-key scenes where characters are just talking to each other.

I am on record voicing my dislike for the OVA Dead Leaves, also directed by Imaishi. These two works are somewhat similar in their approach but the reason I prefer Re:Cutie Honey to Dead Leaves is that Dead Leaves is too indulgent for it's own good. I dislike how there wasn't any time to breathe in that work, or how little attention was paid to fleshing out the characters in an interesting manner. Re: Cutie Honey isn't a treatise on the human condition but it does do a good job of setting up the major characters in a manner which I would consider acceptable for an action flick. Nothing too complicated, but enough to let you form some attachment to them.
I understand the second episode in this OVA series isn't as good as the first so I'm not really in a rush to check that out any time soon.

cajunator

Banned
[Re: Cutie Honey ] - 1: Heaven

Cutie Honey is a franchise which originated from a manga in 1973 created by your pal and mine Go Nagai. It stars Honey Kisaragi, an android with the power to transform into the heroine 'Cutie Honey', along with many other different forms, for the purpose of battling the bad guys. As this is a Go Nagai creation the transformation process involves Honey losing all her clothes.

This manga has spawned numerous adaptations over the decades but I have no familiarity with any of them. After hearing nothing but praise for the three part OVA Re:Cutie Honey produced in 2004 by Gainax I thought that I'd give it a shot.

While this OVA series is technically directed by Hideki Anno I couldn't detect a single hint of his style in this first episode. ANN lists Anno as the Chief Director rather than as a specific episode director or storyboarded. This first episode, Heaven, was directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi although anyone familiar with his work wouldn't have to go to ANN to find that out - his style oozes from every facet of the episode.

cutiehoneyactlmls8.gif

Exaggerated but simplified character designs, hugely exaggerated character poses and expressions, a breakneck pace, bold colour design, a light hearted tone which features crude humour - the list goes on and on.

For those unfamiliar with the name, Imaishi was a Gainax regular who worked on a huge number of shows over the years. He directed Gurren Lagann, Dead Leaves and did a fair bit of work on FLCL which are the titles that I imagine most people are familiar with. If you like his style then you'll love this because it's pure, unfiltered Imaishi. There's not even the slightest attempt to make the world of this series a realistic or believable setting instead it's a bright, flat cartoon world where physics and logic have been throw under the bus in exchange for action, gags and general silliness.

I find that this approach works because he fully commits to it. Cutie Honey and the villains she faces are so over the top that it only makes sense to make every aspect of the series just as ridiculous. If one or two elements were silly and stylised and the rest weren't then it wouldn't work nearly as well. As a result of these stylistic decisions and the energy of Imaishi's direction there's never any chance to get bored or to stop paying attention because something interesting is happening all the time.

There's lots of experimentation with layout, sets, camera work, editing and just about everything you can think of. He clearly worked fairly hard to ensure that there weren't many standard, boring shots and instead he's constantly pushing the boundaries and showing you something new, even in fairly low-key scenes where characters are just talking to each other.

I am on record voicing my dislike for the OVA Dead Leaves, also directed by Imaishi. These two works are somewhat similar in their approach but the reason I prefer Re:Cutie Honey to Dead Leaves is that Dead Leaves is too indulgent for it's own good. I dislike how there wasn't any time to breathe in that work, or how little attention was paid to fleshing out the characters in an interesting manner. Re: Cutie Honey isn't a treatise on the human condition but it does do a good job of setting up the major characters in a manner which I would consider acceptable for an action flick. Nothing too complicated, but enough to let you form some attachment to them.
I understand the second episode in this OVA series isn't as good as the first so I'm not really in a rush to check that out any time soon.

The hell is up with those character designs? Reminds me of Liliths hat or that dog beast thing in Yami to Boshi.

Theonik

It's not so much as it isn't as good. It's entirely Toei so it's a lot more restrained and that hurts it a lot I think. It also lacks that Imashi/Yoshinari pizazz.
The third is more of a return to form than the second though it still isn't as over the top as the first. Maybe Toei didn't like GAINAX's take on the property.
The :Anno will become clearer on the 3rd episode as well so look forward to that, though the third episode is still Imaishi's.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
It's not so much as it isn't as good. It's entirely Toei so it's a lot more restrained and that hurts it a lot I think. It also lacks that Imashi/Yoshinari pizazz.
The third is more of a return to form than the second though it still isn't as over the top as the first. Maybe Toei didn't like GAINAX's take on the property. The :Anno will become clearer on the 3rd episode as well so look forward to that.

Agreed, but it did have moments that I'm particularly fond of. :D

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S ep 11

Kinda refreshing and different to see the vending machine scene being redone from Mikoto's perspective.

Here is a same scene but from Touma's perspective for comparison. Very different in terms of content and action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTszmL6K5U

i like the different perspective for the same events . you can tell that there was a difference.
Almost like that they were accustomed more to the characters than in Index.

Defuser

Not to mention art. Dat budget increase.

I wouldn't say budget increase. More like the art style being upgraded which makes it look better.

The first Railgun artstyle was a vast improvement over the first index which Index II followed up after it. Now that Railgun S upgraded it furthermore with better body proportions, most likely when Index III ever announced it will follow up from Railgun S again.

Jarmel

Banned
The biggest problems with the direction aren't simply a matter of "this could have been done by a better animator if there was more time on the schedule" though, the problems are that it's just boring. Seems more like a fundamental problem with the people making it lacking creative skill to make the best of the situation.

I wonder if the last few episodes had to be changed due to the production issues. Like they had to heavily revise the scripts because they flat out couldn't animate the later scenes.

Not to mention art. Dat budget increase.

The Railgun staff is in a different league compared to the Index staff.

Jex

I wonder if the last few episodes had to be changed due to the production issues. Like they had to heavily revise the scripts because they flat out couldn't animate the later scenes.

I don't know if that ever actually happens because of much gets planned out in advance. It seems unlikely.

Gradivus

Speaking of Railgun, how many episodes is the first seasons? My friends have been talking about Railgun S recently and they've been nagging me to go watching the first season first. Not really sure what to expect from this series.

cajunator

Banned

I have both shows and the difference is staggering. I think Index is pretty much wasted money because Railgun is a show on an entirely different level.

Speaking of Railgun, how many episodes is the first seasons? My friends have been talking about Railgun S recently and they've been nagging me to go watching the first season first. Not really sure what to expect from this series.

24ish.

I must be in the minority because I do enjoy Index better than Railgun lol. Oddly enough magic in the world makes way more sense in terms of following the rules and stuff than the 'science' side lol.

And touma punching girls never gets old.

Railgun is still ok, and quite pretty and yuri. Just go in there with your brain off.

Theonik

I don't know if that ever actually happens because of much gets planned out in advance. It seems unlikely.
Yeah it seems unlikely. They'd have to decide how they were going to adapt it pretty early on which means that they had probably decided they didn't want to do the later battles from the start. Honestly the whole AoT production seems like a rushed cash-grab to me.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
24ish.

I must be in the minority because I do enjoy Index better than Railgun lol. Oddly enough magic in the world makes way more sense in terms of following the rules and stuff than the 'science' side lol.

Railgun is still ok, and quite pretty and yuri. Just go in there with your brain off.

You're not alone.

cajunator

Banned
24ish.

This right here.
The choice is clear.

Defuser

Index - 24 episodes
Railgun - 24 episodes
Index II - 24 episodes
Railgun S - 24 episodes

For the first railgun, watch episode 4,8,9,10,11,12 which is the level upper arc and 20,21,22,23 and 24 which is related to the level upper arc although it's a filler. Ignore the rest since its filler.

Right now Railgun S is at the part where it coicides with ep 10 to 14 of the first Index.

I wouldn't say budget increase. More like the art style being upgraded which makes it look better.

The first Railgun artstyle was a vast improvement over the first index which Index II followed up after it. Now that Railgun S upgraded it furthermore with better body proportions, most likely when Index III ever announced it will follow up from Railgun S again.

Oh. Well nevertheless pretty major upgrade. Railgun S looks pretty damn good.

24ish.

I would have agreed based on the first season of Railgun but this second season has been pretty damn good. Better than Index imo.

Jarmel

Banned

That would have been my initial assumption as well however when you have stuff taking up 5 minutes before they even get to any new material, there seems to have been some changes. I just finished episode 11 and it feels like they're trying to reuse as much previous animation as possible.

I just can't imagine the original version of the script and storyboarding was this bad.

Theonik

This isn't a race guys !
My honour is on the line here!

That would have been my initial assumption as well however when you have stuff taking up 5 minutes before they even get to any new material, there seems to have been some changes. I just finished episode 11 and it feels like they're trying to reuse as much previous animation as possible.
My thought is that they'd have decided something like that a while ago however.

Gradivus

24ish.

Fair enough. I've heard a little bit about index (Railgun is meant to be some spin-off from one of the main character's story in Index if I've gotten it right?).

I'll have to take a look at index afterwards I guess.

Gradivus

Index - 24 episodes
Railgun - 24 episodes
Index II - 24 episodes
Railgun S - 24 episodes

For the first railgun, watch episode 4,8,9,10,11,12 which is the level upper arc and 20,21,22,23 and 24 which is related to the level upper arc although it's a filler. Ignore the rest since its filler.

Right now Railgun S is at the part where it coicides with ep 10 to 14 of the first Index.

Ok, thanks for that.I heard about filler being a bit of a problem in the first season.

Jarmel

Banned
My thought is that they'd have decided something like that a while ago however.

I'm not saying it was done in like the past couple of weeks. Possibly around episode 3/4 when the production started to crash and they realized "oh fuck". It just seems so reactionary to the production issues that I can't imagine this was close to the original version of the show.

I would have agreed based on the first season of Railgun but this second season has been pretty damn good. Better than Index imo.

outside of the recent fight everything just reaks of 'Hey i saw this years ago'. accelerator being a dick kinda loses the impact after he sorta became an anti-hero in index s2.

Theonik

He'll be bringing up the rear at this rate.
I think you're rearing on dangerous territory there.

I'm not saying it was done in like the past couple of weeks. Possibly around episode 3/4 when the production started to crash and they realized "oh fuck". It just seems so reactionary to the production issues that I can't imagine this was close to the original version of the show.
Somehow I don't think that's that far from their original vision or they probably realised a while ago, probably before the show aired that it would be this way. You are giving them too much credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom