• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hrothgar

Bahahahahahahahahaha.

I really have no idea how you manage to hate the second half of SAO so much. It's not like it's even worse than the first half. I guess it's mostly just your inordinate hatred for Suguha and the very idea of incest talking (which I also can't really understand), but even so.

And the way you're deriding it here doesn't even make sense. When does the second half of SAO ever try to be "deep and subtle"? It's pretty goddamn straightforward if you ask me. Sure it has themes (mostly the same ones from the first half, like the validity of a virtual world as long as it's real to the people experiencing it) but for the most part it's just an incredibly straightforward rescue story with the most straightforwardly despicable villain you ever saw and a pretty standard romantic misunderstanding subplot running alongside. Just simple, honest fun.

Similarly, you seem to be under the twisted impression that the ALO arc was somehow trying to convince you that it's normal to have feelings for your sister, when it never did anything of the sort. The whole incest subplot started because of the confused feelings that resulted from their separate realisations that they weren't siblings, and even so Kirito himself never felt much of anything romantic towards Sugu at all. There may have been vague hints of possible attraction when he didn't know it was her, but even then he didn't really have eyes for anyone but Asuna. The romantic feelings were always a one-sided deal.

Thank you. I watched all the episodes in quick succession, and this is pretty much how I see it. There is no drop in quality in the second half, it's pretty consistent all the way through.

Now, if someone would just make a film adaptation of the Otherland series...

Dokidoki Precure - 24

First couple of minutes had
4th-grade (!) Agly
being actually kind of cute.

Following fifteen minutes were boring.

Last few minutes were pure speculah and preview hype.
- Ange chatting with MakoP while still frozen - not sure what this implies
- Ace Shot being purple this time - probably, Ace relies on other Cures for her powers, like the old ones did; this is probably her episode 27 "weakness"
- MakoP offing the MotW - a sign that Dokidoki writers are not actually Sailor Moon writers after all
- In the preview, Sebas-chan becoming Masked Muse x Batman and Mammo becoming Passion x Sailor V - that episode is going to be amazing

I still think part of her weakness is *MAJOR SUITE PRECURE SPOILERS*
her connection to King Selfish and Regina. I mean she had to have come from somewhere, and on top of that, she's similar to Ako's age, who also had connections with an antagonist. Who knows.

CorvoSol

Next time Kayos loses an avatar bet, someone hook him up with this:

UaOxff1l.png

Does Kayos lose a lot of avatar bets?

cnet128

Banned
You don't get hating the idea of incest?

Really?

I get that some people might find it a little distasteful. I don't get how anyone can outright detest it to the ridiculous oh-my-god-entire-series-ruined-this-is-the-worst-thing-in-the-history-of-humanity level that Corvo does, particularly in a series where there are no blood-related siblings involved and the whole thing is doomed from the start anyway. And I don't get why he hates Sugu's character, unless the mere association with incestuous thoughts is enough to make her into some kind of demonic creature in his eyes.

He refuses to tell Suguha he isn't in to her at the end and instead agrees to some bullshit not making a judgment or whatever. If that wasn't pandering to siscons, I don't know what is.

I don't know where you get the idea that there was any ambiguity left about any possible romance between Kirito and Sugu, because there really wasn't. She was pretty summarily rejected, tears were shed, and everyone involved was painfully aware that this romance was Not Happening. Everything that followed was just them trying to rebuild a healthy platonic sibling relationship out of the ashes of awkwardness.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi 2

Another eventful episode, and this show continues to be intriguing, depressing and generally engaging. It helps that Ai is still adorable and easy to empathise with despite her world falling apart around her. Suffering moe~~~~~~~

After the last episode went out of its way to make us hate Humpney Humbart and everything he stands for, this episode shows us that while yes, he is a complete ass who thinks nothing of being outrageously harsh to Ai and generally trying to drown her in misery (in this episode he does such friendly things as
punching her viciously in the head
and
basically telling her if she stays alive she's just going to be raped, tormented and robbed of all concept of self, hope or happiness, so she might as well just die now
), there's more to him than meets the eye. It looks like he does have legitimate reasons for the more heinous things he's done, and they might even be good ones. Curse you antiheroes why must you be so antiheroic.

To this end, we meet a new character in this episode - a guy named Yuri, except the emphasis is on the second syllable so I'm not even sure how that name's meant to be romanised - who has similarly been screwed over by Humpney in the past, and we get a fairly conclusive explanation of why Humpney was in the right in that situation. This makes it slightly easier to accept when Humpney implies that he had a good reason for murdering all the people in Ai's whole goddamn village, even if he won't tell us what that reason is. It says a lot about the sheer amount of mysteries and half-truths and ambiguities in this world that it actually seems perfectly believable that there could have been some kind of circumstance that justifies the murder of an entire community of 47 villagers.

Oh, and we also find out in this episode that Humpney possesses
immortality and eternal youth
. Thanks to this revelation, I'm starting to wonder if
he might be Ai's real father after all. Mainly because of how in the first episode he used the fact that he's "not old enough" to deny that possibility.
However, I'm not sure how that would tie in to his deduction this episode that
Ai is the child of a human and a Gravekeeper
. You'd think if he
was the father
he wouldn't have taken so long to come up with that theory.

jgminto

. . . But Kirito isn't an actual character. He has no personality traits. Anthy Himemiya has more personality than him in her very first episode than he does in his ENTIRE SERIES.

UNLESS YOU CALL PRAISING A MASS MURDERING PSYCHOPATH CHARACTER.

BY THE WAY SWORD ART ONLINE ENDORSES, APPROVES OF, AND ACTIVELY ENCOURAGES YOU TO LOOK UP TO A MASS MURDERER.

Maybe Kirito was a neo-nazi. Ever thought about that?

CorvoSol

I get that some people might find it a little distasteful. I don't get how anyone can outright detest it to the ridiculous oh-my-god-entire-series-ruined-this-is-the-worst-thing-in-the-history-of-humanity level that Corvo does, particularly in a series where there are no blood-related siblings involved and the whole thing is doomed from the start anyway. And I don't get why he hates Sugu's character, unless the mere association with incestuous thoughts is enough to make her into some kind of demonic creature in his eyes.

Suguha is a terrible character for reasons not related to incest alone. Incest as an element of a plot did not ruin Game of Thrones. Suguha's a grating bitch who spends all of her time stirring up absurd melodrama for Kirito when he's supposed to be hurrying along to save Asuna.

She is, quite literally, Scrappy Doo with tits. Of the billions of ALO players Kirito just happens to meet and hit it off with his sister? They just happen to not tell one another they're both playing this game? Nevermind that she leads him into this stupid multi race alliance plot that gets resolved and thrown away in the hilariously rushed conclusion to the series.

She's rude to everyone around her, picking on that kid from class, nagging Kirito, and sitting there throwing a pity party for herself when he goes to see his friends after saving Asuna.

Her character is an unnecessary, overbearing, loudmouthed pestilence, and that's all before we go into the unwelcome, unwanted, unbearable incest subplot.

I don't know where you get the idea that there was any ambiguity left about any possible romance between Kirito and Sugu, because there really wasn't. She was pretty summarily rejected, tears were shed, and everyone involved was painfully aware that this romance was Not Happening. Everything that followed was just them trying to rebuild a healthy platonic sibling relationship out of the ashes of awkwardness.

Probably from the show. You know, the show that supposedly has Kirito saving his wife, but instead has him running around on dates with his sister and flying around in a romantic, starlit setting for an extended scene with her in the last episode, instead of with the woman he's just spend 12 episodes trying to save.

There was no "Not Happening" to Kirito and Suguha. They deliberately left that wide open. Let alone trying to return to a platonic sibling relationship.

Maybe Kirito was a neo-nazi. Ever thought about that?

That was Gundam AGE. Kirito is a soon-to-be murderer. He praises the psycopath who murdered people in SAO with the exact same words that Simon praises Kamina in Gurren Lagann. It's demented, but by then I mean, you already knew that SAO was a show written by a depraved fuck, so whatever. The tentacle rape scene?

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 31

I like how the rivalry between Sakura and Shaoran has now really become a rivalry between Kero and Meilin and them both trying to prove their guys are better, while now Sakura and Shaoran are just like, "Guys...come on, let's not do this shit..."

Giant Sakura makes this episode great. I was wondering why they had her capture Big first, since they were obviously putting the focus on that book, but then she ended up using it to seal Create, so yeah. Not too often she captures two cards in one episode, let alone one night like she did here.

Naoko's a pretty shitty writer. I mean I guess I should go easy on her because she's only in fourth grade, but she was just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. And winged fish would die simply by virtue of them not being in the water. Oh, and don't bring hippos into this; hippos are not to be fucked with under ANY circumstances. A hippo will fuck you up something royal.

cjkeats

Suguha is a terrible character for reasons not related to incest alone. Incest as an element of a plot did not ruin Game of Thrones. Suguha's a grating bitch who spends all of her time stirring up absurd melodrama for Kirito when he's supposed to be hurrying along to save Asuna.

She is, quite literally, Scrappy Doo with tits. Of the billions of ALO players Kirito just happens to meet and hit it off with his sister? They just happen to not tell one another they're both playing this game? Nevermind that she leads him into this stupid multi race alliance plot that gets resolved and thrown away in the hilariously rushed conclusion to the series.

She's rude to everyone around her, picking on that kid from class, nagging Kirito, and sitting there throwing a pity party for herself when he goes to see his friends after saving Asuna.

Her character is an unnecessary, overbearing, loudmouthed pestilence, and that's all before we go into the unwelcome, unwanted, unbearable incest subplot.

But, boobs.

Metrotab

Banned
Only one more petal left on this flower.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 109: No Light for the Golden Löwe

~ But when humans lose that idiocy, will they evolve for the better? ~

Glad to see they made von Kreuzer and the wonder boy an official couple. Even in this superficial regard, this show surpasses most anime.
Rubinsky's requiem of fire is a last trick of a man most convinced that if he cannot share power, no one will. What a ruthless character, up till the end. Unfortunately, he never quite became the puppetmaster he wanted to be. I'm surprised they let the red-haired woman go, despite being an accomplice to conspiracy against the Crown.
It seems Julian has found a way for his little flame of republican democracy to live on: as an Imperial Consitution that limits the powers of the Kaiser and, over time, will kindle the spirit of democracy in all of its citizenry. I don't think Reinhard will reject this: to him, it was never the power that appealed, or the autocratic ideology, but merely the honor of battle and the energy of conquest. I think Reinhard believes the constitution will ultimately protect the Empire he crafted.

CorvoSol

But, boobs.

The less I say about that, the better.

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean 11

A show about a boy whose mother is absent from his life and he hates his father. Boy is forced to pilot a giant robot that isn't actually mechanical. His nemesis is a white haired pretty boy embodiment of the inexplicable otherworldly giant monsters he fights. He works for a company that has something underground which, if reached by the white haired pretty boy and monsters, spells the end of the world. His coworkers include a bratty bitch with parental issues and a weird girl with weird hair and maybe a mysterious past. Two of his superiors are an older but attractive woman in a red jacket and a scruffy looking investigator.

WHERE HAVE I HEARD THIS STORY BEFORE?

Rah Xephon.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Only one more petal left on this flower.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 109: No Light for the Golden Löwe

~ But when humans lose that idiocy, will they evolve for the better? ~
This episode left me with a very awful aftertaste.
For a series with such grounded characters and motivations it felt out of place to have Rubinsky pulling up such a super-villainesque master plan.

CorvoSol

Astral Ocean 11

The stuff not blatantly ripped off from Evangelion in this episode was pretty good, though. Plot about evil sand and some interesting stuff about Elena's background.

Bleach 24-26

Was so hyped when D-Technolife started playing and then Houkiboushi, never forget. The whole entry to the Seireitei felt so enjoyable this fifth or so time around, I wonder why they hadn't thought to hold hands while floating in that space for a bit.

Additionally, I dont think or at least can't remember anytime that Ikkaku and Urahara interacted in the context of the time before these events.

I'm going to agree with Corvo that I don't think Suguha's really all that compelling a character.

She's a jerk to her friend for the sake of her love, and she lets her jealousy get the best of her better judgment.

being suguha is suffering

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S ep 14

Dear J.C.Staff...... why are you letting Hiroshi Nishikiori and Masanao Akahoshi do Index III and not Tatsuyuki Nagai and Seishi Minakami? These two are proven more than enough they can tackle the darkside of Index and probably better than what Hiroshi Nishikiori can do.

Although this episode is a remake of Index 1 but it's BLOODY AWESOME!! due to it being very drama, emotional and touching thanks to Nagai's strong directing. Not mention it heavily induces a strong Touma x Mikoto vibe.

Ugh... borderline drop status.

fertygo

Most people like me have no problem with SAO except with its really offensive material.

Incest drama, sexual harassment.. I don't think its hard to see why there's hate.

I'm definitely not. There's a scene where he tells Suguha he hasn't decided yet if he's going to look at her like his sister or not. It's some pretty blatant siscon pandering. Like the entire second half of that show. Let's not forget that this is AFTER
he barely reacts to her confessing her love for him.
Which makes sense, I guess, because Kirito has no character at all, and the only character anyone might think he has comes from what they project onto him. His reaction to
Suguha's confession of love
is a perfect example of this. Kirito's reaction is ambiguous enough that you can read it anyway you want to.

Fucking Musashi Gundoh had a better cast than SAO.

Which was awful and the anime equivalent of someone punching you in the gut repeatedly.
No it's not ... the scene in question is whever she will start acting like sibling like they should since they know they aren't related or if they act like familly .
It's not incest , it's just them trying trying to act like close familly members .

And guess what , they act like brother and sister afterwards.

Probably from the show. You know, the show that supposedly has Kirito saving his wife, but instead has him running around on dates with his sister and flying around in a romantic, starlit setting for an extended scene with her in the last episode, instead of with the woman he's just spend 12 episodes trying to save.

There was no "Not Happening" to Kirito and Suguha. They deliberately left that wide open. Let alone trying to return to a platonic sibling relationship.

You're interpreting thing like it's convenient for you . you're talking about kirito , that rushed like a madman to his goal once he knew that she was above the capital ?
You're talking about kirito that took the shortest route possible to his goal possible?
The only detour in the anime is him trying to sort thing with his sister because they were in a position were none were aware of the other identity... such a DATE, indeed.
or you'e talking about the date , when they crushed the race metting ?

Let's see :
The guy get out of a death game, get crushed by some dude IRL , resolve himself to put the deadly helmet again JUST TO SAVE his beloved , and you're telling me that he was for even 1 sec intrested in another character ?

The sad thing here, is that even knowing the above you're serious in the incest deduction part.

What should they have done ? suguha crying ? ( oh wait they did ) , kirito choosing and fighting the last boss again to save his beloved , prooving that his choice was set ( oh they did ) .. them reuniting IRL ( they did ) , them making projects for the future IRL ( they did ).
How can you reach the conclusion that they made the thing ambigous , when the last 2 episodes are FULL of kirito&asuna moments ?

Narag

Attack on Titan 14

New OP seems hopeful and I like the internal politics mucking shit up. Lots of stills yet again and the ep feels like it'd been better as a start to a split-cour second half rather than coming so soon after the first's finale. Alternatively, using the trial testimony stuff as the impetus for having a recap episode would have been nice and integrated itself better into the series as a whole rather than the 13.5 we got.

Levi so badass though. Furious Mikasa was scary too. Those eyes were cold.

Edit: I hope the Wallist thing comes around too because that was offensively stupid.

Shergal

Daybreak Illusion 2
It's so straightforward I can't help but laugh, but I'm intrigued to see if they'll try to do something else.

The character designs keep being bad, I don't think I'll ever get used to them.

sonicmj1

Hyperdimension Neptunia 1

It's appropriate that the Sega analogue in this show is a useless piece of shit that doesn't want to do anything for her followers.

I think it's pretty well done for this kind of material, but it doesn't spin the drill in my heart. So I'm gonna pull the plug on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom