• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Genshiken Nidaime 02

I'd hoped that they wouldn't milk another episode out of "A cross-dresser? OH MAI GOD!" but they managed to do so (with the delicacy of a sledgehammer).

I maintain that these new characters aren't as interesting as the old characters, and I'm not sure that is going to change over the course of the season. With that in mind, I don't know why this season needed to happen. Were fans demanding it? I guess that's a silly thing to ask, since most shows aren't demanded by anyone and happen anyway.

I'll keep watching. Hopefully the whole "She's going to
be published
plot line will prove interesting.

[Monogatari Second Season] - 1

SHAFT re-using background art from 2009's Bakemonogatari as if it was some Studio Pablo-tier stuff:

Toei would be proud.

The conversations took place at school, and it's understandable that they'd re-use already made backgrounds since it's the same school. Having said that, they could have had them talk somewhere else for the sake of variety for sure. I guess that's what happens when you've got a TV budget instead of an OVA budget. Things get a bit jankier in episode 02 with some shots that didn't seem to live up to previously set standards (long shots with misdrawn characters for instance) but it's kind of understandable considering that
not a whole lot happened in the episode
. If they're saving their budget for other things (beyond them sitting, eating, etc, with only *episode 2 spoiler*
Black Hanekawa's bits having any real action
) I'm okay with it. They do need to keep in mind that they're going to be charging hundreds of dollars for this thing on Blu-Ray though.

Pacific Rim:

first half -

PUjPDHq.gif

Goddamit Evilore, you liar! :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The conversations took place at school, and it's understandable that they'd re-use already made backgrounds since it's the same school. Having said that, they could have had them talk somewhere else for the sake of variety for sure. I guess that's what happens when you've got a TV budget instead of an OVA budget.
mythoughtfulresponse.gif

CorvoSol

So today my sister came to me saying, "I've got this really cool anime to show you, its soooo good you have to watch it"

I jokingly said "Is it your favourite anime of all time?" and she replied saying "Close. Def in the top three with Cowboy Bebop"

"What is it called?", I said.

"Sword Art Online", she replied.

I just stood there staring into her eyes and she wasn't joking, there was genuine excitement there. The worst part, the part that made me want to rip my fucking heart out and piss on it was that I had to sit through three episodes, seeing all the stupid shit on that show and not being able to say anything on how stupid the premise, how lame the characters were because it felt like I would be a party pooper, someone who was ruining the fun. All I could say was moronic useless tripe like why do they have hammers if its called sword art online :(

Let me begin by saying that Sword Art Online is a hateful, terrible, awful product that was so bad that I will take pains in my life to avoid anything the guy behind it makes, including Accel World.

That said, the first half of Sword Art Online was kind of okay. It was dumber than can be, but if I was a teenager I'd've been okay with it.

The SECOND HALF of that show is like if someone took a gigantic shit all over your room, then killed your pet and made art noir with it in the middle, then crammed your face into it will slapping your mother and screaming "I'M DEEP AND SUBTLE" again and again into a megaphone with an inexplicable third hand. This person would not stop until you admitted that having sexual interest in your sister was a legitimate and not messed up thing.

I hate the second half of SAO so, so much. Like, as in I may not consider it a product of sheer malice and hatred that was made by people who have no love for humanity and only want to steal your money and hurt your soul like Gundam 00 and to a lesser extent Gundam AGE, but SAO's second half fills me with such rage to just think about. It wasn't even a GOOD train wreck like Code Geass or an enjoyable one like Valvrave. It's like if someone put everyone you loved onto a train, lit it on fire, through gasoline coated puppies into the flaming engine for fuel, and crashed it into a wall made of nuclear explosives and then forced you to watch it on endless repeat while Rebecca Black's "FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY" played continuously with the sounds of your dying loved ones remixed into a dubstep background.

It is a literal Katamari of anguish and hatred which begins at episode 14 and rolls and rolls, and rolls and the longer it goes more and more and more reasons to hate the show accrue. Some people may be like "What did ______ ever do to you?" Well Sword Art Online, the second half in specific, did quite a bit of awful.

And in case anyone is wondering, I am fully afraid that I will need to purchase and study a thesaurus to express with flourishing vitriol my anger towards Astral Ocean if that show doesn't fix itself.

Hopefully shes a huge fan of Kirito...
tumblr_mj2l4ncduP1qcd4vbo1_250.png

I am, definitely in the top three, though I put him way higher than Spike.

. . . But Kirito isn't an actual character. He has no personality traits. Anthy Himemiya has more personality than him in her very first episode than he does in his ENTIRE SERIES.

UNLESS YOU CALL PRAISING A MASS MURDERING PSYCHOPATH CHARACTER.

BY THE WAY SWORD ART ONLINE ENDORSES, APPROVES OF, AND ACTIVELY ENCOURAGES YOU TO LOOK UP TO A MASS MURDERER.

I feel you, bro. I feel you.

Doesn't your sister watch that show, too?

The conversations took place at school, and it's understandable that they'd re-use already made backgrounds since it's the same school. Having said that, they could have had them talk somewhere else for the sake of variety for sure. I guess that's what happens when you've got a TV budget instead of an OVA budget. Things get a bit jankier in episode 02 with some shots that didn't seem to live up to previously set standards (long shots with misdrawn characters for instance) but it's kind of understandable considering that
not a whole lot happened in the episode
. If they're saving their budget for other things (beyond them sitting, eating, etc, with only *episode 2 spoiler*
Black Hanekawa's bits having any real action
) I'm okay with it. They do need to keep in mind that they're going to be charging hundreds of dollars for this thing on Blu-Ray though.

It's more about continuity than anything else. Changing backgrounds isn't a big deal, Shaft does it all the time (avatar kind of related) but some shows like Monogatari or Hidamari using the same camera perspectives for some years now.

There is also an interesting interview with Shinbo about this topic in Hidamari - maybe I can find it somewhere.

[Monogatari Second Season] - 1

SHAFT re-using background art from 2009's Bakemonogatari as if it was some Studio Pablo-tier stuff:

taricompar26kscp.jpg

taricompar5iws9s.jpg

tariies0p.jpg

taricompar451sf0.jpg

Toei would be proud.
i don't see how they shouldn't re-use those parts since it's the same place and the time frame is like less than 3 month after.

Theonik

i don't see how they shouldn't re-use those parts since it's the same place and the time frame is like less than a month after.
Because it's lazy. Especially the way they went about doing things.
It's like the Riki-oh movie using 3-4 sets in total and havin 1/4 of the film set on the same flight of stairs.

It's like the Riki-oh movie using 3-4 sets in total and havin 1/4 of the film set on the same flight of stairs.

It would be lazy if they change the story to reuse the same backgrounds.

(though backgrounds aren't expensive or something Shaft wouldn't do if you check every Shaft BD release in the past)

Syrinx

So today my sister came to me saying, "I've got this really cool anime to show you, its soooo good you have to watch it"

I jokingly said "Is it your favourite anime of all time?" and she replied saying "Close. Def in the top three with Cowboy Bebop"

"What is it called?", I said.

"Sword Art Online", she replied.

I just stood there staring into her eyes and she wasn't joking, there was genuine excitement there. The worst part, the part that made me want to rip my fucking heart out and piss on it was that I had to sit through three episodes, seeing all the stupid shit on that show and not being able to say anything on how stupid the premise, how lame the characters were because it felt like I would be a party pooper, someone who was ruining the fun. All I could say was moronic useless tripe like why do they have hammers if its called sword art online :(

The only person I know who likes anime at all really (at least that I know of) is my brother, and even he isn't huge on it. He recently finished Soul Eater and really seemed to enjoy it. We watched Cowboy Bebop together (though we actually never finished it; we should probably get around to that).

Either way, I don't really have anybody to talk to about this stuff, but I'm kinda okay with that. Many of these shows I really can't see myself getting into actual conversations about. And I really prefer to find and watch these shows at my own pace instead of being trapped watching (alleged; never seen SAO) shit like you apparently have.

Theonik

It would be lazy if they change the story to reuse the same backgrounds.

(though backgrounds aren't expensive or something Shaft wouldn't do if you check every Shaft BD release in the past)
Even if the location is the same, you don't have to use the same picture with a filter. They could have at least changed perspective.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 108: Brunhild Wants Blood

~ Peace is what His Majesty desires. ~

That nearly ended in disaster for Julian. Lost von Merkatz, von Schenkopp and the rest of the Rosenritter in this battle. He barely made it to the Kaiser before spouting some gibberish and collapsing. Love how Reinhard kept to his thoughtful pose all the way through.
Von Bittenfeld and von Eisenach cooperating was pretty great. Von Bittenfeld's happy face when he heard the order was great.
Looks like that was the last military campaign of the series.

Even if the location is the same, you don't have to use the same picture with a filter. They could have at least changed perspective.

And now we're at the point "continuity".

To give the viewers the feelings that they know the place - Hidamari works in the same way. And two of the three examples were even just on screen for a very short moment.

If it was re used to show a different place that would be recycling , but it's the same place.

So you have to create different backgrounds for the same place , every time you wish to do a scene every season ?

The gatari series are not the most heavy on background detail, but still i don't see the problem. And besides they are doing it since last season i believe.

cnet128

Banned
The SECOND HALF of that show is like if someone took a gigantic shit all over your room, then killed your pet and made art noir with it in the middle, then crammed your face into it will slapping your mother and screaming "I'M DEEP AND SUBTLE" again and again into a megaphone with an inexplicable third hand. This person would not stop until you admitted that having sexual interest in your sister was a legitimate and not messed up thing.

I hate the second half of SAO so, so much. Like, as in I may not consider it a product of sheer malice and hatred that was made by people who have no love for humanity and only want to steal your money and hurt your soul like Gundam 00 and to a lesser extent Gundam AGE, but SAO's second half fills me with such rage to just think about. It wasn't even a GOOD train wreck like Code Geass or an enjoyable one like Valvrave. It's like if someone put everyone you loved onto a train, lit it on fire, through gasoline coated puppies into the flaming engine for fuel, and crashed it into a wall made of nuclear explosives and then forced you to watch it on endless repeat while Rebecca Black's "FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY" played continuously with the sounds of your dying loved ones remixed into a dubstep background.

It is a literal Katamari of anguish and hatred which begins at episode 14 and rolls and rolls, and rolls and the longer it goes more and more and more reasons to hate the show accrue. Some people may be like "What did ______ ever do to you?" Well Sword Art Online, the second half in specific, did quite a bit of awful.

Bahahahahahahahahaha.

I really have no idea how you manage to hate the second half of SAO so much. It's not like it's even worse than the first half. I guess it's mostly just your inordinate hatred for Suguha and the very idea of incest talking (which I also can't really understand), but even so.

And the way you're deriding it here doesn't even make sense. When does the second half of SAO ever try to be "deep and subtle"? It's pretty goddamn straightforward if you ask me. Sure it has themes (mostly the same ones from the first half, like the validity of a virtual world as long as it's real to the people experiencing it) but for the most part it's just an incredibly straightforward rescue story with the most straightforwardly despicable villain you ever saw and a pretty standard romantic misunderstanding subplot running alongside. Just simple, honest fun.

Similarly, you seem to be under the twisted impression that the ALO arc was somehow trying to convince you that it's normal to have feelings for your sister, when it never did anything of the sort. The whole incest subplot started because of the confused feelings that resulted from their separate realisations that they weren't siblings, and even so Kirito himself never felt much of anything romantic towards Sugu at all. There may have been vague hints of possible attraction when he didn't know it was her, but even then he didn't really have eyes for anyone but Asuna. The romantic feelings were always a one-sided deal.

Blusby

. . . But Kirito isn't an actual character. He has no personality traits. Anthy Himemiya has more personality than him in her very first episode than he does in his ENTIRE SERIES.
I have no idea what you're talking about, even the great Nihongo people recognized Kirito's greatness and it's because of that he's in the legitimate top male ranks among other well-written male leads like Eren Banger and Jesus Yamato. Are you, perhaps, tsun for Super Awesome Online?

Pooya

who cares about backgrounds in monogatari anyway, it's fine. The thing that you should be complaining about in the new season so far is often out of form characters, if they can't even draw the handful of characters properly all the time then what's the point, it's not like there is anything else they have to do in this show :| character animation always looked great to me before.

I really have no idea how you manage to hate the second half of SAO so much. It's not like it's even worse than the first half. I guess it's mostly just your inordinate hatred for Suguha and the very idea of incest talking (which I also can't really understand), but even so.

You don't get hating the idea of incest?

Really?

Neptunia 01

c9i024ol.jpg

Lewd dog slimes.

This wasn't bad. I do like how it isn't adapting a game's plot but instead doing something original with all the characters. We also got actual magical girl transformations and they also played the first game's OP during the fight/licking scene so that was amusing.

Hopefully they'll be creative with the dungeon designs cause I seen enough of that from the first game.

CorvoSol

Bahahahahahahahahaha.

Similarly, you seem to be under the twisted impression that the ALO arc was somehow trying to convince you that it's normal to have feelings for your sister, when it never did anything of the sort. The whole incest subplot started because of the confused feelings that resulted from their separate realisations that they weren't siblings, and even so Kirito himself never felt much of anything romantic towards Sugu at all. There may have been vague hints of possible attraction when he didn't know it was her, but even then he didn't really have eyes for anyone but Asuna. The romantic feelings were always a one-sided deal.

He refuses to tell Suguha he isn't in to her at the end and instead agrees to some bullshit not making a judgment or whatever. If that wasn't pandering to siscons, I don't know what is.

The whole ALO arc ruins the show in the most splendid of ways.

/XX/

ufotable original path. =D
By Urobutcher? I'd definitely want that. It would be sad for those that have been years asking for a Heaven's Feel adaptation, though.

There is nothing to envy. These days they offload those La Masia talents to other clubs and never use them if they happen to come back. Most of them shines somewhere else they re-buy them for exuberant amount of money (David Villa, Fabregas). There was one generation when that system proved a very effective measurement and that was when they were desperate and lingered mid-table 10 years or so ago (Xavi, iniesta, etc). The fact they are in dept just tells so much that they are arrogant enough to rely on players the buy on higher price (Sanchez, Fabregas)

Both of the clubs have their problems though, so don't get happy and enjoy the monopoly you two have on the Spanish League. "Zidane" effect is what you got Banzema and that didn't work as much as you hoped you would be. and now you bough Isco and Illimimsioddswahtever for £50m....

Sorry, didn't meant to feel you bad on your birthday ;P
Nah, don't worry, you're right and I'm accustomed to the many unnnecesary big expenses they make every year. And Zidane brought to us the gem that is Varane, so all is good! :-D

Meanwhile, Callejón goes away through the back-door... and we now have another disgruntled player from the house this club didn't get to cherish too much, like Negredo or Soldado, and that probably will later regret.

Theonik

Madbull 34 01
ib1rBZ96SODIWS.png

Being Japanese man is suffering
Madbull truly is the patron saint of hookers. A true model of the community.
Without him all would crumble. What a kind soul too. Praised be Sleepy.
(also this dub rules. Those New York accents lol)

If it was re used to show a different place that would be recycling , but it's the same place.

So you have to create different backgrounds for the same place , every time you wish to do a scene every season ?

The gatari series are not the most heavy on background detail, but still i don't see the problem. And besides they are doing it since last season i believe.
It's still recycling even if it's the same place. At best it's a very visually boring way to go about things. At worst it's just lazy, but knowing Shaft it's probably both, but it being boring is why their laziness is brought into focus here.

And now we're at the point "continuity".

To give the viewers the feelings that they know the place - Hidamari works in the same way. And two of the three examples were even just on screen for a very short moment.
I don't think they'd lose much familiarity or continuity by at least moving the camera.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
By Urobutcher? I'd definitely want that. It would be sad for those that have been years asking for a Heaven's Feel adaptation, though.

Nah, don't worry, you're right and I'm accustomed to the many unnnecesary big expenses they make every year. And Zidane brought to us the gem that is Varane, so all is good! :-D

Meanwhile, Callejón goes away through the back-door... and we now have another disgruntled player from the house this club didn't get to cherish too much, like Negredo or Soldado, and that probably will later regret.

Honestly I think it would be really great idea if ufotable adapted their own storyline. That'd be really cool.

Narag

Yu-Gi-OH S0 4

So I was thinking if the beginning of this episode was about shoes and set in the US, there'd be a shooting. Then the villain showed up. welp

Ending was all sorts of fucked up starting with an adult beating the shit out of Yugi and ending with that disturbing penalty game. This was more of a Twilight Zone style resolution than the previous eps.

BDZDidkl.png
RfUsIVkl.png

Disturbing.

dimb

Well, the discussion is kind of pointless and like 20 episodes too late now. Shaft is doing this since season 1.
It's one thing for it to happen within the production constraints of a single season. It is another entirely for a new season to draw from that well.

He refuses to tell Suguha he isn't in to her at the end and instead agrees to some bullshit not making a judgment or whatever. If that wasn't pandering to siscons, I don't know what is.

The whole ALO arc ruins the show in the most splendid of ways.

He doesn't have to tell anything . he made his choice clear by choosing asuna from the start.
At most kirito want to retain normal sister relationship with suguha.

You're looking too much into this and forgetting the obvious.

It's one thing for it to happen within the production constraints of a single season. It is another entirely for a new season to draw from that well.

How is it differently, if the creative team decides that they want to use the same camera perspectives for some of the important places?

Midonin

Doki Doki! Precure 24

Alright, so I can't call her Iori anymore. Nor can I call Leva Hobo Clown. (I know what a Hobo Clown is when I see one.) But so begins another batch of episodes with an elementary schooler teaching everyone the way of being a hero. Aguri is only slightly older than Ako, yet was for some reason granted powers stronger than everyone else. I'd love an episode explaining exactly why, but that may come later.

A plot we've seen before, with Makopi having a crisis of faith over her singing abilities. But the resolution, while a bit merchandisey (isn't everything in this show?) was sweet, with her finally getting a chance to talk to Marie Ange. And with some help from Iori, she finally got in a kill. Someone who's not Mana winning at the end of the episode. Yes.

Even better.

Next week has Sebastian turning into Cure Batman, basically. Now imagine that with the Bale voice. Everything is funnier with the Bale voice.

Doki Doki! Precure 24

Alright, so I can't call her Iori anymore. Nor can I call Leva Hobo Clown. (I know what a Hobo Clown is when I see one.) But so begins another batch of episodes with an elementary schooler teaching everyone the way of being a hero. Aguri is only slightly older than
Ako
, yet was for some reason granted powers stronger than everyone else. I'd love an episode explaining exactly why, but that may come later.

A plot we've seen before, with Makopi having a crisis of faith over her singing abilities. But the resolution, while a bit merchandisey (isn't everything in this show?) was sweet, with her finally getting a chance to talk to Marie Ange. And with some help from Iori, she finally got in a kill. Someone who's not Mana winning at the end of the episode. Yes.

Even better.

Next week has Sebastian turning into Cure Batman, basically. Now imagine that with the Bale voice. Everything is funnier with the Bale voice.

So Doki Doki confirmed to not be a complete Ace of Hearts show after all! There's some hope left!

Dammit, she really had to be a god damn Ako afterall, guess I can see Aguri actually being the real daughter of King Selfish afterall. Also you might want to censor the Ako part.

CorvoSol

He doesn't have to tell anything . he made his choice clear by choosing asuna from the start.
You're looking too much into this and forgetting the obvious.

I'm definitely not. There's a scene where he tells Suguha he hasn't decided yet if he's going to look at her like his sister or not. It's some pretty blatant siscon pandering. Like the entire second half of that show. Let's not forget that this is AFTER
he barely reacts to her confessing her love for him.
Which makes sense, I guess, because Kirito has no character at all, and the only character anyone might think he has comes from what they project onto him. His reaction to
Suguha's confession of love
is a perfect example of this. Kirito's reaction is ambiguous enough that you can read it anyway you want to.

Fucking Musashi Gundoh had a better cast than SAO.

Which was awful and the anime equivalent of someone punching you in the gut repeatedly.

LOL.

One of the things I DID like about the Movie was
Utena and Anthy's escape from the World taking place on that highway. Tied into the show rather nice.

dimb

How is it differently, if the creative team decides that they want to use the same camera perspectives for some of the important places?
Anyone who does such a thing does not even deserve to be called a "creative team". I don't even know how to explain this because the posts defending this read like parody.

PsionBolt

Dokidoki Precure - 24

First couple of minutes had
4th-grade (!) Agly
being actually kind of cute.

Following fifteen minutes were boring.

Last few minutes were pure speculah and preview hype.
- Ange chatting with MakoP while still frozen - not sure what this implies
- Ace Shot being purple this time - probably, Ace relies on other Cures for her powers, like the old ones did; this is probably her episode 27 "weakness"
- MakoP offing the MotW - a sign that Dokidoki writers are not actually Sailor Moon writers after all
- In the preview, Sebas-chan becoming Masked Muse x Batman and Mammo becoming Passion x Sailor V - that episode is going to be amazing

Dokidoki never disappoints.

Everything else this week

As expected. For most things, that means "average". For Symphogear, it means "badass". For Monogatari, it means "too wordy for me to completely understand in one viewing so I'll get back to you". Overall, not a great week, but not bad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Genshiken TNG
1kY972Pl.jpg

This is now what I imagine DTL to be like in real life. It makes too much sense!

---

Space Bros 65
Gs5Et4rl.jpg

This was just so janky looking. lol
But, again, what a nice little call back to a minor character from aaaaaaages ago. Still, that 4 minute preview at the beginning... I hope this show isn't going through some weird production problems.

---

Monogatari 2
TaIcdW5l.jpg

Hey, I think it's the first time I've seen this explicitly acknowledged, in shorthand anyway, in popular culture.
I'm sure I'm the only person who still unconditionally loves this show/franchise at this point though. lol

---
Kiniro Mosaic 2
vCdvZwFl.jpg

So the show turned into moe girls being moe rather than any real cultural exchange, but I suppose that will be enough to carry it with the nerd audience. I suppose it'd be too much to ask if every week was Alice exploring some aspect of Japanese culture or something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Genshiken Nidaime 02

I'd hoped that they wouldn't milk another episode out of "A cross-dresser? OH MAI GOD!" but they managed to do so (with the delicacy of a sledgehammer).

Honestly, and this is probably even slightly spoilery to say, but Hato plays a central role in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom